PDA

View Full Version : Dane Cook with the bads under par

Blake
07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
”During a performance at Los Angeles' Laugh Factory, comedian Dane Cook stirred a backlash when he joked about "The Dark Knight Rises" shooting in Colorado that left 12 people dead and 58 injured.

Cook said, "I heard that the guy came into the theater about 25 minutes [into the movie]. And I don't know if you've seen the movie, but the movie's pretty much a piece of crap. Yeah, spoiler alert. I know that if none of that would have happened, I'm pretty sure that somebody in that theater, about 25 minutes in realizing it was a piece of crap, probably was like, 'Ugh, f**ing shoot me.'"”

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=16886465

CubanSucks
07-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Did Michael Scott write that joke? After the first sentence I was ready to defend Cook but that joke wasn't clever in the slightest. Still hate that there's bullshit outrage over what a comedian says. I hope like nothing else that he doesn't apologize but I know it'll happen unfortunately

Spurminator
07-30-2012, 10:25 AM
It's not even a joke really. It's like he came up with a "shocking" punchline and built the set-up around it. It doesn't even work because it's not like there's some kind of consensus that TDKR is a terrible movie. This is just lazy comedy... Seems like he was too rushed to be the first comic with an Aurora joke.

clambake
07-30-2012, 10:40 AM
i'm still waiting to hear something funny from this guy.

DPG21920
07-30-2012, 10:51 AM
I hope another comedian calls him out and uses his popular media style:

"So I heard Dane Cook was mocking the shooting in Aurora, CO during the Batman movie. Man that guy is such a tool - I can totally see why Chick-fil-a hates him."

mrsmaalox
07-30-2012, 11:33 AM
I love standup comedy, and I've had a few laughs from his routines. But he's at his best just telling a story, his observational humor is not very intelligent; that Batman joke definitely comes off as trying too hard to be first.

Drachen
07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
I hope another comedian calls him out and uses his popular media style:

"So I heard Dane Cook was mocking the shooting in Aurora, CO during the Batman movie. Man that guy is such a tool - I can totally see why Chick-fil-a hates him."

Ok, THAT is funny.

Clipper Nation
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
People still think this cat is funny and pay for tickets to his shows? Wow....

The Gemini Method
07-30-2012, 11:54 AM
The funny thing is Cook is calling something else's creation a piece of crap...yet, that's all I ever think about when even seeing his comedy act...

Destro
07-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Comedians shouldn't have to apologize for their material.They aren't politicians or community leaders they are simply funny people trying to make us laugh. I'm not a Dane Cook fan but I'm sure that line was situated in a full bit that was likely a a few minutes long.

InRareForm
07-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Suprised nobody said fuck you in the audience.

lemmings.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Everyone says they hate him yet he's making more money than most comedians on the planet

clambake
07-30-2012, 02:22 PM
i don't hate him.

he just isn't funny.

The Gemini Method
07-30-2012, 02:38 PM
i don't hate him.

he just isn't funny.

Truth.

Just don't find his material funny at all--he is slightly tolerable in movies as long as he is in contained spurts.

Blake
07-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Everyone says they hate him yet he's making more money than most comedians on the planet

I think most people prefer style over substance, imo.

could be why more posters prefer the NBA forum to something like the political forum, imo.

The Gemini Method
07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I think most people prefer style over substance, imo.

could be why more posters prefer the NBA forum to something like the political forum, imo.

Not sure about this--the political forum is oft style over actual substance in many a thread. But, I guest the spirit of it is supposed to be substance over style.

I can see the appeal to him if you're not exposed to a larger pool of comedians. Guess it is the same with musical taste and whatnot. Dane was in line to say what he did, but the timing and the tact was lacking from what he uttered.

Cane
07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Would this be worse than Gilbert Gottfried's tweet about Japan? AFLAC

Comedians shouldn't have to apologize for their material.They aren't politicians or community leaders they are simply funny people trying to make us laugh. I'm not a Dane Cook fan but I'm sure that line was situated in a full bit that was likely a a few minutes long.

Word

Blake
07-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Not sure about this--the political forum is oft style over actual substance in many a thread. But, I guest the spirit of it is supposed to be substance over style.

there is a thread today in the NBA forum titled ”vaginas”

Spurminator
07-30-2012, 03:53 PM

He's kind of the Nickelback of comedy.

Clipper Nation
07-30-2012, 03:59 PM

Soulja Boy makes more money than rappers with actual talent, so does that mean he's the best rapper out?

leemajors
07-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Comedian trying out material, nothing to see here.

TheMACHINE
07-30-2012, 04:20 PM
i heard he says more stuff thats even worst that night, but cant find it on the internez

DMC
07-30-2012, 06:36 PM
When you've been out of the mainstream a little while, saying crazy shit can kickstart your career again, but don't do a Michael Richards.

lakerhaterade
07-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Dane cook sucks

Leetonidas
07-30-2012, 10:19 PM
The real tragedy is that Dane Cook wasn't one of the theatergoers in Aurora that night

Heath Ledger
07-30-2012, 10:56 PM
The only people who find him funny are tweeny boppers and college chicks, his comedy is more silly than funny. I have been tortured to see him live twice(with gf) and played poker with him at a charity event. He's a really nice guy but funny he is not.