Sense
07-30-2012, 02:17 PM
shut your mouth!

-21-
07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
He's not a free agent.

turkish spurs fan
07-30-2012, 08:22 PM
uuu player option. but i didn't hear he used it. am i qrong? he could get better offers from europe.

Andthentherewas21
07-30-2012, 09:44 PM
uuu tem option. but i didn't hear he used it. am i qrong? he could get better offers from europe.

Team option means the Team chooses whether or not they pick up his contract, not the player. If they decide not to then he becomes a FA. Though I haven't been able to find anything about the Spurs picking up his option for 2012-2013, the fact that he is signed for the minimum and is one of the league's clutch 3-point shooters (making him one of the few trading pieces the Spurs have), I doubt the Spurs wouldn't exercise their team option.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Sham says it's an unguaranteed year, so there's no "pickup" date on any option. I still think he could be gone in trade, along with Blair. They are both cheap, proven, rotation pieces. They are also unguaranteed, and could be used to get below the tax for a team slightly over it.

Andthentherewas21
07-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Sham says it's an unguaranteed year, so there's no "pickup" date on any option. I still think he could be gone in trade, along with Blair. They are both cheap, proven, rotation pieces. They are also unguaranteed, and could be used to get below the tax for a team slightly over it.

Thanks, I knew it wasn't guaranteed, but didn't know that meant there was no pickup deadline.

G-Dawgg
07-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Gary needs to stay a Spur. He's our best scorer outside of the big 3... better than Jackson...tbh

Sean Cagney
07-31-2012, 02:20 AM
Gary needs to stay a Spur. He's our best scorer outside of the big 3... better than Jackson...tbh
Jackson was here a short time after the trade, still had a better playoffs than he! Leonard can be better as well, hence the word CAN! I think Danny Green is more versatile as well, Gary is a spot up three shooter IMO with little else, but if he is the best sides the Big three in your mind cool! I disagree though, others can and will be alot better next year IMO, period.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-31-2012, 02:40 AM
Ideally we could package Neal, Blair, Bonner and Bonner for someone like Ilyasova (who is basically a combination of Blair and Bonner's skillsets, but a better defender) and the team would be set... but that's a pipedream.

I like Gary, can see him staying, but it's a mighty crowded backcourt. I think that unless there's an enticing trade in the offering the FO will keep Neal and play him in the first half of the season to show him off and give De Colo time to adjust. Then, hopefully, they can package him with Bonner/Blair for a player that fits a team need. That's the smart thing to do, and our FO has proven time and again that most of the time they're pretty smart. :toast

Fireball
07-31-2012, 07:51 AM
Gary is a spot up three shooter.

I agree with you that Neal is not the 4th best scorer on the team. But he can shoot off the dribble, has a floater and showed an impressive versatility when attacking the basket. The problem is his defense ...

racm
07-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Gary Neal is an "instant offense" guard whose ball-handling skills are suspect - but the Spurs are keeping him for now because guys like him on rookie contracts are a rarity.

Spurs da champs
07-31-2012, 08:17 AM
I agree with you that Neal is not the 4th best scorer on the team. But he can shoot off the dribble, has a floater and showed an impressive versatility when attacking the basket. The problem is his defense ...

Not his decision making? He consistently takes bad shots with plenty of time left on the shot clock. He's a ball stopper, I think he's expendable especially considering this damn log jam at both guard spots.

dunkman
07-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Manu misses a lot every season and, in Leonard and Jack, Pop has the right players for small ball. The Spurs need Neal, he will play much better at SG.

wildbill2u
07-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Pop will let the best players prove themselves in training camp

turkish spurs fan
07-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Team option means the Team chooses whether or not they pick up his contract, not the player. If they decide not to then he becomes a FA. Though I haven't been able to find anything about the Spurs picking up his option for 2012-2013, the fact that he is signed for the minimum and is one of the league's clutch 3-point shooters (making him one of the few trading pieces the Spurs have), I doubt the Spurs wouldn't exercise their team option.

he has player option. i was sleepy bro.

Andthentherewas21
07-31-2012, 11:02 AM
he has player option. i was sleepy bro.

Hoopshype is the only place that lists it as a player option, everywhere else says its a team option. If it was a player option and he was opting out, he would have done it prior to July 1st to enter free agency. Doesn't make sense to do it once all the NBA has capped themselves out.

K-State Spur
07-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Not his decision making? He consistently takes bad shots with plenty of time left on the shot clock. He's a ball stopper, I think he's expendable especially considering this damn log jam at both guard spots.

Taking him out of the backup PG role fixes a lot of that.
That said, the offense was surprisingly decent with him running point until OKC.

turkish spurs fan
07-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Hoopshype is the only place that lists it as a player option, everywhere else says its a team option. If it was a player option and he was opting out, he would have done it prior to July 1st to enter free agency. Doesn't make sense to do it once all the NBA has capped themselves out.

thanks.

Andthentherewas21
07-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Gary Neal is an "instant offense" guard whose ball-handling skills are suspect - but the Spurs are keeping him for now because guys like him on rookie contracts are a rarity.

Exactly. He would be great on a team like the Bulls that need some scoring and have the D to cover-up his deficiencies on that end. However the Spurs front-court limitations on D really minimize the impact Neal has given he is such a liability on defense.

Darkwaters
07-31-2012, 12:47 PM
The problem is the sheer number of guards on the roster.

Parker, Mills, De Colo, Green, Ginobili and Neal can't all fit into one rotation. And thats already with Cory Joseph on the outside looking in.

maverick1948
08-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I heard a rumor that Jacque Vaughn is wanting to take Gary Neal with him to Orlando. I was at the golf course and several men were talking about a trade that would get the Spurs a big in trade for Neal and not cost cap money. Looking at that, I found the only trade that was a big and netted no cap problem was getting Justin Harper. Would he be worth trading for Neal? Unless there is a 3rd team involved I dont see any other trade that would happen.

Andthentherewas21
08-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I heard a rumor that Jacque Vaughn is wanting to take Gary Neal with him to Orlando. I was at the golf course and several men were talking about a trade that would get the Spurs a big in trade for Neal and not cost cap money. Looking at that, I found the only trade that was a big and netted no cap problem was getting Justin Harper. Would he be worth trading for Neal? Unless there is a 3rd team involved I dont see any other trade that would happen.

Would be interesting. The guy is a tweener and a bit undersized (just under 6'9). Supposedly has a good shot and has 3-pt range, though given the lack of NBA experience that remains to be seen.

One of the biggest knocks against him was he didn't have the weight and muscle to defend NBA PFs on the low-block but hes added about 20-30 pounds since he was drafted.

I doubt he would be much more than a project for the next year or two but the FO may see it as getting a project rather than nothing for Neal.

benefactor
08-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Harper makes some sense. Good shooting range, decent size for a PF and he played in the French league. Seems like the type of player the Spurs would target.

The Magic took Nicholson in the draft, so he could very well be available.

DeadlyDynasty
08-02-2012, 06:51 PM
God help the team that trades for choo-choo...he's the quintessential spurs-system guy who would toil in obscurity on any other team--much like Danny Green.

benefactor
08-02-2012, 07:01 PM
God help the team that trades for choo-choo...he's the quintessential spurs-system guy who would toil in obscurity on any other team--much like Danny Green.
Probably right. Hopefully the Spurs can dupe some team into thinking he's a short version of Ray Allen.

JonNOKC
08-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Not a big on magic roster I really like that we can afford - a trade of Bonnet,Blair,Joseph,Neal,Byars for Harper and Big Baby would work salary wise I think

Spurs were rumored to like Davis at one time, of course would leave Spurs filling out a few roster spots for minimum salary guys and even then I think they would not be able to avoid lux tax which appears to be a goal for FO

spurs10
08-02-2012, 07:08 PM
It's not Neal's fault he was not playing his position most of the time. Ford's injury put us in a bind. I agree that his downside is his defense, which is a concern. I hope the rumors about Jacque pan out. I think Blair is going to be shipped out and we need a backup not named Bonner on the team for Diaw. I'm pretty hopeful that training camp and a full year in the system will help Diaw and Danny get better adjusted to our system. We need a big more than Neal imo.

JonNOKC
08-03-2012, 04:39 PM
It's not Neal's fault he was not playing his position most of the time. Ford's injury put us in a bind. I agree that his downside is his defense, which is a concern. I hope the rumors about Jacque pan out. I think Blair is going to be shipped out and we need a backup not named Bonner on the team for Diaw. I'm pretty hopeful that training camp and a full year in the system will help Diaw and Danny get better adjusted to our system. We need a big more than Neal imo.

Agreed - like Neal a lot despite the Thunder series, but he is the most likely piece to be involved if Spurs elect to trade for a big

Stabula
08-04-2012, 01:29 AM

Gary Neal is a good shooter but his defense is so atrocious that he can become a major liability especially going against legit SGs. I would be really surprised to see him stay a Spur for much longer especially with all the guards now on the roster.

spurs10
08-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Gary Neal is a good shooter but his defense is so atrocious that he can become a major liability especially going against legit SGs. I would be really surprised to see him stay a Spur for much longer especially with all the guards now on the roster.
I think you are probably right. I wonder if playing PG didn't make his d look even worse. Guy's got heart and they really had high hopes for him.

venitian navigator
08-04-2012, 04:46 AM
The only big of the Magic team I see the Spurs could be interested in is Ayon...decent size, runs well and, more than anything else, is mexican.
In few words, he gives us exactly the skills that are lacking in our big department (nationality included).
Could became a fan favourite in a moment.
The only problem, as of now, is that he can't be traded in combination with another player and we don't have a contract worth trading that makes the same numbers.
But the restriction expires september 11.
After that day we can send for him a package of Neal + Byars contract (that considering actual value is a decent trade) or, if our F.O. really value Ayon a lot and is ready to overpay for him, a package of Neal + Blair.
The numbers match and the trade could be successful and logical for both teams.

venitian navigator
08-04-2012, 04:50 AM
Sorry, I re-viosited the trade restricion on nba trade machine.
Ayon can already could be traded by himself for a combination of players.
He just can't be traded in combination with another player of his own team.

So, in this very minute, Ayon for neal + Byars or Neal + Blair is possible...

jyra
08-04-2012, 05:13 AM
I'm not sure that you can get Ayon that easily. The Magic S&T'd Ryan Anderson to get him. I know that Orlando was not willing to keep Anderson at the price he was signed for and they could have lost him without getting anything in return, but you would think that a young productive big like him could net you more than a player like Ayon who has barely any room for growth.

I do like Ayon's game quite a bit. He is fairly athletic, plays hard and can hit an open jumper. I'm not sure if he has the footspeed to keep up with PFs and defend the pick and roll consistently but it's a good sign that he played quite a lot for Monty Williams who's known to be quite demanding on his players when it comes to defense.

venitian navigator
08-04-2012, 10:46 AM
The point is that the Magic team, considering as a fact that Howard is gonna be traded, is probably becoming a re-building team.
It just depends what kind of trade they're gonna get for Howard.
If they trade him for young players or draft picks they're probably going to trade other veteran assets (Davis, Nelson, Richardson, Turkoglu and Ayon) for younger players.
Imho the choice of Voughn as a coach points in that direction (don't think that they will have the chance to obtain Bynum...).

If Voughn is effectively interested in Neal, having one (Neal) or two (Neal plus Blair) younger players with clear nba value and both well known by him could be considerd a more than fair trade.

therealtruth
08-04-2012, 11:08 AM

There's no excuse for getting outplayed by the fossil that is Derek Fisher.

CGD
08-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Sorry, I re-viosited the trade restricion on nba trade machine.
Ayon can already could be traded by himself for a combination of players.
He just can't be traded in combination with another player of his own team.

So, in this very minute, Ayon for neal + Byars or Neal + Blair is possible...

Random re Ayon -- Interesting thing about his deal (per Sham) is that each successive year of his 3-year deal is fully unguaranteed. It looks like he had to be waived by July 25, 2012 for the Magic not to have to pay him. Same goes for next year.

I like the guy. Plays with heart. He is in the mold of his countryman Najara, and has decent talent to play in the NBA.

CGD
08-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Mills' Olympic play doesnt help Gary. Gary's competitive edge is that he hits shots in pressure situations. Patty is doing that and more by carrying his team.