PDA

View Full Version : Snoop Dogg Semi Retired, Snoop Lion Emerges

leemajors
07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57483684/snoop-dogg-becomes-snoop-lion-readies-reggae-cd/

Snoop Dogg wants you to know that he's tired of hip-hop, is Bob Marley reincarnated and is embracing reggae instead of the culture of guns he once rapped about.

Also, he's got a new name: Snoop Lion.

The artist said at a news conference Monday in New York that he was "born again" during a visit to Jamaica in February and is ready to make music that his "kids and grandparents can listen to."

The former gangster rapper is releasing a reggae album called "Reincarnated" in the fall. He said that in Jamaica, he connected with Bob Marley's spirit and is now "Bob Marley reincarnated."

"As a 40-year-old man ... I've got to give them something," he said. "That's what you do when you're wise."

Snoop Dogg said he's not completely retiring from hip-hop but is "tired" of the genre because it is no longer challenging.

"Reggae was calling ... it's a breath of fresh air," he said. "Rap isn't challenging; it's not appealing."

Viva Las Espuelas
07-31-2012, 03:52 PM
I hope steve jobs doesn't sue him. Oh wait....

Jeff Van Gundy
07-31-2012, 03:53 PM
He hasn't had anything good since the early 90's tbh

Creepn
07-31-2012, 04:21 PM
I listened to that one song he was promoting. It was meh. Sounded fake. Just leave it up to Marley's sons Snoop.

The Gemini Method
07-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Oh boy, as a fellow LBCer and whatnot, this name change is not cool. Just ease into rapper retirement, Snoop.

silverblk mystix
07-31-2012, 04:57 PM
I haven't been this excited since Sean something or other went from puff daddy to diddly to has been....:sleep

Creepn
07-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Sean Combs a has been? That mutha is making more money now than he ever did.

silverblk mystix
07-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Sean Combs a has been? That mutha is making more money now than he ever did.

A lot of idiots make money -- that has nothing to do with talent.

Trill Clinton
07-31-2012, 05:58 PM
I hope steve jobs doesn't sue him. Oh wait....
:sleep

Trill Clinton
07-31-2012, 05:59 PM
He hasn't had anything good since the early 90's tbh

not true. R&G was a dope album.

Creepn
07-31-2012, 06:26 PM
A lot of idiots make money -- that has nothing to do with talent.

You got to be kidding me. From college drop out to a mogul? Give props where it's due.

silverblk mystix
07-31-2012, 06:36 PM
You got to be kidding me. From college drop out to a mogul? Give props where it's due.

Absolutely- he knows how to make money and he should receive props...

But that is different than musical talent.

He is a talented businessman or money-maker though.

Creepn
07-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Absolutely- he knows how to make money and he should receive props...

But that is different than musical talent.

He is a talented businessman or money-maker though.

I'm sure he produced songs that you bobbed your head to though. His songs lasted for awhile on to of the billboards.

silverblk mystix
07-31-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm sure he produced songs that you bobbed your head to though. His songs lasted for awhile on to of the billboards.

umm...not songs that he originally wrote...the stuff that might of hit was some cover or a sample rip-off IMO

Creepn
07-31-2012, 06:52 PM
umm...not songs that he originally wrote...the stuff that might of hit was some cover or a sample rip-off IMO

I agree with that. That's why I was always a puff hater when he was popular and I'm still kinda am. Lately he's been warming up to me with his tv shows and movie appearances though.

silverblk mystix
07-31-2012, 06:54 PM
I agree with that. That's why I was always a puff hater when he was popular and I'm still kinda am. Lately he's been warming up to me with his tv shows and movie appearances though.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot- he wasn't too bad as a death row convict in Monsters Ball.

Trill Clinton
07-31-2012, 07:47 PM
DJ Premier and Kanye West built their style on samples and are deemed musical genuises by their peers. Puff still has talent, musically but he thrives as a businessman first.

silverblk mystix
07-31-2012, 08:55 PM
DJ Premier and Kanye West built their style on samples and are deemed musical genuises by their peers. Puff still has talent, musically but he thrives as a businessman first.

Don't even get me started on that Kanye is a musical genius bullshit....fuck...

Venti Quattro
08-01-2012, 11:24 AM
What a fuckin' sellout. Fuck you Snoop.

lakerhaterade
08-01-2012, 11:31 AM

:lol

Reck
08-01-2012, 11:34 AM

Relax, he's still high from his trip.

Snoop once said he'd give up weed. Didn't last more than a few days. :lol

VBM
08-01-2012, 11:35 AM
not true. R&G was a dope album.

Blue Carpet Treatment was better, imo

lebomb
08-01-2012, 11:40 AM
"what me say wit me un sung boy, dont spa wit me re-dont spa rittah"

*sung in a Jamaican voice*

Trill Clinton
08-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Blue Carpet Treatment was better, imo

that was a good album too. Vato use to bang in the trunk.

I prefer R&G because for one it has sentimental value and snoop+ the neptunes= good music.

i pride myself on buying every snoop album that comes out but after Ego Trippin' I was done.

Reck
08-01-2012, 12:06 PM
"what me say wit me un sung boy, dont spa wit me re-dont spa rittah"

*sung in a Jamaican voice*

I thought you were doing your best Rihanna impression. :lol

Boris
08-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Snoop taught me smoking weed was ok.

Thank You

When it comes to smoking weed I am self-taught.

Clipper Nation
08-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Don't even get me started on that Kanye is a musical genius bullshit....fuck...
He is one, though.... it takes a lot of talent to take samples and consistently turn them into catchy, unique beats while establishing your own personal style, tbh.... and even beyond being a producer, Kanye's one of the few decent mainstream rappers in the game, it ain't like Dr. Dre whose beats were far better than his rhymes.... show some respect to a true genius, B....

alamo50
08-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Faker.

The Reckoning
08-02-2012, 09:08 AM
to be fair, rap did originate from jamaican immigrants. roots brah.

silverblk mystix
08-02-2012, 10:21 AM
He is one, though.... it takes a lot of talent to take samples and consistently turn them into catchy, unique beats while establishing your own personal style, tbh.... and even beyond being a producer, Kanye's one of the few decent mainstream rappers in the game, it ain't like Dr. Dre whose beats were far better than his rhymes.... show some respect to a true genius, B....

I guess musical genius is a throwaway term now and it doesn't mean much.

Let's say he is a genius to you- but not even close to being a genius to me- and agree to disagree.

Musical genius to me is a musician who can write original material, words and music, play several instruments and be great at all of them, sing like nobody's business, arrange, produce, play in a band that can play great in the studio -- and live, etc....

Stevie Wonder= musical genius

Kanye West= gtfo

Michael Jackson = Musical genius

Kanye West = seriously?

leemajors
08-02-2012, 10:42 AM
I guess musical genius is a throwaway term now and it doesn't mean much.

Let's say he is a genius to you- but not even close to being a genius to me- and agree to disagree.

Musical genius to me is a musician who can write original material, words and music, play several instruments and be great at all of them, sing like nobody's business, arrange, produce, play in a band that can play great in the studio -- and live, etc....

Stevie Wonder= musical genius

Kanye West= gtfo

Michael Jackson = Musical genius

Kanye West = seriously?

Why do you assume Kanye can't play several instruments? I am not a fan of his but that is a really silly assumption. He can obviously play keyboards/synthesizer, program an 808, and I also believe he can also play drums.

JudynTX
08-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Snoop Dogg said he's not completely retiring from hip-hop but is "tired" of the genre because it is no longer challenging.

When was it ever?

silverblk mystix
08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Why do you assume Kanye can't play several instruments? I am not a fan of his but that is a really silly assumption. He can obviously play keyboards/synthesizer, program an 808, and I also believe he can also play drums.

He might.

He might play one of those midi programmers...which is basically pushing a button that plays a beat that real musicians recorded by playing real instruments.

Not the same as actually learning an instrument and mastering it.

He can't sing. He doesn't write good melodies. On and On and On...

Would that make him a musical genius? IMO ...No.

leemajors
08-02-2012, 11:12 AM
He might.

He might play one of those midi programmers...which is basically pushing a button that plays a beat that real musicians recorded by playing real instruments.

Not the same as actually learning an instrument and mastering it.

He can't sing. He doesn't write good melodies. On and On and On...

Would that make him a musical genius? IMO ...No.

You do realize your stance is identical to traditionalists when people started plugging in to play, right? And just as ridiculous? BTW, Flavor Flav is proficient with 15 instruments. He began playing piano at age 5. You wouldn't guess looking at him.

silverblk mystix
08-02-2012, 11:20 AM
You do realize your stance is identical to traditionalists when people started plugging in to play, right?

Maybe.

In the interest of diplomacy I will say that I am probably judging musicality by traditional music standards and I am unqualified to judge today's musical standards.

So, Kanye would not qualify based on those standards. Maybe being a musical genius in today's music is different- I don't really know.

Maybe today's music will be proven to be just as good as yesterday's music in time.