PDA

View Full Version : Obama authorizes secret support for Syrian rebels

FuzzyLumpkins
08-02-2012, 02:17 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/02/us-usa-syria-obama-order-idUSBRE8701OK20120802

Winehole23
08-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Precisely when Obama signed the secret intelligence authorization, an action not previously reported, could not be determined.Old news, probably. It's a horrible idea. imho. What can we possibly gain?

Looking at Iraq and Afghanistan, i'd say we mostly stand to lose blood, possible allies and influence in the Middle East.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-02-2012, 02:57 AM
It just seems like the same old cold war bullshit from the middle of the 20th century. Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Vietnam, Cuba, et al

Found this

http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/grossmaz/interventions.html

Go US!!!

jack sommerset
08-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Warmonger and murderer. We need to stop Obama. God bless

ChumpDumper
08-02-2012, 10:21 AM
They try to hide their presence. "Some people are worried about carrying the [black] flags," said Abu Khuder. "They fear America will come and fight us. So we fight in secret. Why give Bashar and the west a pretext?"Um, isn't he giving Bashar and the west a pretext by giving interviews with western news outlets?

George Gervin's Afro
08-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Warmonger and murderer. We need to stop Obama. God bless

when we invade come back..

jon tesh

ElNono
08-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Not so secret, I guess

EVAY
08-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Not so secret, I guess

Thank you. I noticed the very same thing and went through all the posts waiting for someone down the line to point out that "Announcing a secret approval" seemed a tad off to me.

But I had about concluded that maybe it was just me.

EVAY
08-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Old news, probably. It's a horrible idea. imho. What can we possibly gain?

Looking at Iraq and Afghanistan, i'd say we mostly stand to lose blood, possible allies and influence in the Middle East.

I agree. It is a terrible idea, imo. We have nothing to win and wayyyy too much to lose.

I'm with Bill Gates. No more American boots on the ground in the Middle East or environs. EVER.

mercos
08-02-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't believe we should put boots on the ground, but I also don't believe it is moral for us to stand by and watch the guy murder thousands of innocent people. I think the Libya operation should exist as a blueprint on how to handle these brutal regimes across the world. Aid the opposition, and use our air power. We just spent an unseemly amount of money developing the F-22, might as well put it to good use taking out actual bad people.

I disagree with the isolationist stance that has become popular since the rise of Ron Paul. I don't like the way we operated in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I think those debacles were mostly due to poor leadership by the administration that launched the campaigns. We have this massive military, and I believe we should use it to stop people like Ghadify and Assad.

Winehole23
11-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Syrian National Council, de-recognized by the US: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/02/3898553/us-move-to-de-recognize-syrian.html#storylink=cpy