PDA

View Full Version : Is Christopher Nolan the worst writer on the planet?

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 01:36 AM
And are Nolanites the dumbest "Fanboys" of any respective franchise?

Lets examine the egregious plot holes in "The Dark Knight Rises" and how many respective :rolleyes each plot hole deserves.

1. Batman is both a genius and a moron: Once again, Nolan makes batman clueless as to whats going on around him (gets led into traps, gets out-smarted by his enemies, cant figure out what his enemies' motives are, cant figure out who the kid who escaped is, cant figure out who the obvious enemy leader is despite the fact she seemed hell bent on getting the bomb etc) yet is also able to write flight software for a state of the art military machine in just under a month. As a software engineer, I give this EIGHT :rolleyes

2. Wayne loses his fortune because they had his thumb-print. Forget the fact that there's surveillance video and a dozen dead people to prove that the stock exchange was hijacked. Im sure once those transactions go through, theres no way of cancelling them! Worthless SEC! Worthless banking software!

This one was just such lazy fucking writing. You couldnt think of a more logical and believable way for Wayne to lose his fortune? I think I have to give it TEN :rolleyes

3. Bane keeps the cops alive underground so he can kill them later with a bomb. Unbelievably stupid. TEN :rolleyes

4. "Mal" from Inception pretends to be a good guy even after the city gets hijacked and Bane takes control. Likewise, she never turns in Joseph Gordon Levitt or reveal his bomb tracking plan to Bane. Maybe she was having fun..maybe she wanted a backup plan. I dont know why considering she planned on partaking in the mass suicide. She also wants to fulfill her Daddy's dream despite the fact that Dad banished her savior. Lastly, she seemed mad at batman for killing her dad, this is why she stabbed him. Yet she liked him enough to have sex with him. I guess she's both a genius AND an idiot AND a whore.

TEN :rolleyes

5. Rhaul-Liam-Neeson takes over a prison after his daughter escapes and then keeps it running...or hands it over to Bane. Why? So that one day he can put his enemies in it?

Five :rolleyes

6. Bruce Wayne fakes his death. Why? At the end, everyone who knows his secret identity is a good guy. What does killing himself off do besides negate the possibility of ever getting his fortune back? What the fuck was the point of that? Oh..I know... ITS A STUPID "TOP SPINNING" GIMMICK TO REVEAL AT THE END TO DRAW BUZZ FOR HIS STUPID FUCKING MOVIE!!!

TEN :rolleyes

7. Two armies armed with AK-47s and pistols run at each other "Braveheart" style and fight hand-to-hand because, evidently, they forgot they had guns.

SEVEN :rolleyes

8. We're really worried about walking on this thin ice....until Batman shows up. Now Im not worried and I'll light this ice on fire with this flare.

SIX:rolleyes

9. Catwoman the idiot. She sure was passionate during her "a storms coming" speech despite the fact that she really wanted "a clean slate" and a chance to start over. Again, she seems to be an idiot. If you want a second chance, associating yourself with these anarchists is probably not the way to go.

FIVE :rolleyes

10. Batman fixes his broken back with some rope and a punch to the back. Bane lets Batman live. These two are so incredibly bad they actually take you back to the absurd plot devices in the 1960s tv show. Thanks for letting me live and assuming it all goes to plan! Dr. Evil says Hi!

NINE :rolleyes

11. Bane's face is wrapped in a bloody towel post saving "Mal" but then needs a respirator to live. Funny because I thought the echo and amplification in his voice sounded like Darth Vader for half the movie. Now he needs the mask to live like Vader? Speaking of voice, what the fuck was that? Nolan managed to out-do himself with the stupid voices. Was Bane's voice SUPPOSE to be comical? It sounded like a cross between Yoda and a dinosaur. Nolanites really are fucking morons.

For the un-needed Star Wars rip-off and second stupid voice of the series, this one gets TEN :rolleyes

I really hope Nolan has minimal input on the new Superman film. We really dont need another stupid voice.

12. The bomb has a timer on it, despite not being made to be used as a bomb. The Russian physicist seemed to be the only one who speculated that the device could be converted to a bomb, yet the device seemed to be made for easy bomb conversion...just turn a few knobs around!

EIGHT :rolleyes

UPDATE:

13. "Mal" from Inception dies from the truck falling off the bridge yet Gordon seems just fine without a seat belt and a rolling nuclear bomb in the cargo area. Didnt these people see "Toy Story"?

EIGHT :rolleyes

14. Bane reads Gordon's "Confession" and people are suppose to believe that its really from Gordon. Why? Because its written down on paper? Why is that scene even relevant? To let the cops underground who dont have TV know that Batman is actually a good guy? Seriously, no one at the studio had the guts to tell Nolan his script is shitty?

SEVEN :rolleyes

15. (this one stolen from the link)

Bruce Wayne could barely walk without his robo-legs in the beginning of the movie from cartilage wearing out. This isn't something that heals all by itself. After he is stripped of his gear and thrown into the prison he seemingly has no troubles walking after a couple months of recovery. We are shown his robo-legs were taken when he is doing the exercises in shorts later in the prison scenes.

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?...3oYoaF9hw2D.99

Eight :rolleyes

More to come later.

Reck
08-03-2012, 01:52 AM
I did not read most of your post as to avoid spoilers for The Dark Knight Rises but to asnwer your title question..

He is one of the best in Hollywood right now.

You're on a personal vendetta against the guy.

You must not like movies to hate him like you do. I mean really, what is your problem with him?

TE
08-03-2012, 01:54 AM
I did not read most of your post as to avoid spoilers for The Dark Knight Rises but to asnwer your title question..

He is one of the best in Hollywood right now.

You're on a personal vendetta against the guy.

You must not like movies to hate him like you do. I mean really, what is your problem with him?

It probably has to do with the usage of guns in the movie.

Kai
08-03-2012, 03:04 AM
Very solid points, and makes me like the movie less. Asshole.

CubanSucks
08-03-2012, 04:45 AM
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?40,file=39006,filename=niggas_posting_in_ a_troll_thread.jpg

benefactor
08-03-2012, 05:41 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MXjwTiNCh9Y/T7DuAonjP-I/AAAAAAAABK0/ZbId5wAzqWk/s320/darth-vader-didnt-read.gifhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MXjwTiNCh9Y/T7DuAonjP-I/AAAAAAAABK0/ZbId5wAzqWk/s320/darth-vader-didnt-read.gifhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MXjwTiNCh9Y/T7DuAonjP-I/AAAAAAAABK0/ZbId5wAzqWk/s320/darth-vader-didnt-read.gif
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MXjwTiNCh9Y/T7DuAonjP-I/AAAAAAAABK0/ZbId5wAzqWk/s320/darth-vader-didnt-read.gifhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MXjwTiNCh9Y/T7DuAonjP-I/AAAAAAAABK0/ZbId5wAzqWk/s320/darth-vader-didnt-read.gifhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MXjwTiNCh9Y/T7DuAonjP-I/AAAAAAAABK0/ZbId5wAzqWk/s320/darth-vader-didnt-read.gif

mouse
08-03-2012, 06:57 AM
you need to rearrange the BOLD :rolleyes numbers to the actual numbers so it doesn't look so much like a cut and paste.

leemajors
08-03-2012, 07:25 AM
there are far worse writers. seen alone in the dark?

Cane
08-03-2012, 07:42 AM
M Night Shymamalaynlyn

mouse
08-03-2012, 08:13 AM
who wrote Plan 9 from outer space?

lefty
08-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Goyer is the writer

OP :lol

Venti Quattro
08-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Throwaway for obvious fucking reasons, and not a story of backing out like the others in this thread.

This is probably not going to surface to the top being as I'm coming to this thread late in the game, but I am a post-colleged age male who raped several girls through use of coercion, alcohol, and other tactics over a course of 3 years.

First off, I must say, I was at a dark and horrible place in my life, that I've since grown from. I'm ashamed of the person I was, if the people who I'm close to now knew who I was, I would be ruined. I'm known for being a great guy, friendly and easy to get along with, a community/political activist, a fervent volunteer in the community, and a person who rises through the ranks quickly due to successes at work. That was my mask, and I was good at it, so good that maybe I convinced myself along the line that was who I could really be, and that may of helped me change, and stop doing what I did.

I'm somewhat remorseful for what I did to those girls, but I don't think I could ever face them to apologize. I knew what I was doing was wrong, but I had this certain insatiable thirst that brought me to do what I did. I didn't know how to stop, and just when I thought maybe I could, I'd find myself back in my pattern, back on the hunt.

I'm a good looking guy, and I can get girls pretty easily. I'm currently married to a beautiful woman that I met during this time of my life (not someone I raped, but someone who knew my mask during this time). So, anyways, after a while it became boring to go after the sluts and sorority girls that would easily throw their Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_ after you. I wanted the thrill of the chase, and that's what led me to forcing myself on girls. I would find attractive girls that were self-conscious about their looks. Girls who were pretty in their own unique way, but not the outgoing sort, mostly introverts, and girls that didn't party or do wild things. Hopefully a girl who was a bit damaged, had a shitty ex-boyfriend, or family issues, came from a small shut in town, that sort of thing. So, when I showed interest in them they'd be completely enamored, they'd almost be shocked that a popular, good-looking, and well liked guy would be talking to them. I'd have that initial meeting at the library, a coffeeshop, a work function, or a party where I had them convinced of what a great guy I was. I listened to them, and made them feel special, like they were a princess. Sometimes we might sort of hook-up that night (kissing, making-out, never anything more). The next day I'd call, and see when they wanted to get together again. I'd feign some excuse for not going out somewhere, but having them come over late in the night. It was college, and not a lot of people had transportation off campus, so it was typical for people to come over and watch a movie or something on a date.

They would come over, and I'd always make sure it was real cold in the room, cold enough so that when we started watching the movie I'd say something about being chilly, and grab a big fleece blanket for the both of us. We'd get kind of close, and then maybe ignore the movie for some kissing. After a while, we'd talk some more, and I'd start edging my hands around the under strap of the bra, or maybe a bit into her pants, just kind of playing on the edge to gauge her response. Some girls would stiffen up a little, and that's when you knew they didn't like what was going on. We were in my studio apartment, so the bed served as the couch, and it was easy to start sliding down throughout the movie so we'd be laying down. It was then that I could turn around and get on top of her. The girls usually didn't know how to respond. Some of them were into it, and those nights were usually consensual and boring sex, sometimes followed up by a few more nightly visits before getting the boot. However, the great nights were the ones who squirmed, ones who didn't want to give in. I'd have to shush them down, and try to work on them slowly enough so they didn't know what was going on until it was pretty much already happening. I'm a muscular guy, over 6' around 200 lbs. and most of these girls may have been 125-130, really tiny and easy to pin down. To be honest, even remembering it now, the squirming always made it better, they didn't want it to happen, but they couldn't do anything about it. Most girls don't say no either. They think you're a good guy, and should pick up on the hints, they don't want to have to say "no" and admit to themselves what's happening.

Alcohol helped. Having a few drinks during the movie, or doing a few jello shots that were "prepared for a party that weekend" would usually do the trick.

The aftermath was always different. Some girls left after about 15 minutes after. Some girls would stay until the morning and then leave. A few tried to call back, maybe blaming themselves for what happened or something. I never worried too much about being caught. Everyone knew me, and I worked with the police a lot, with administrators, and campus officials. I was on first name basis with the Chancellor and the President of Student Affairs, so if anything came down to a he/she-said I figured I'd be in the clear. Having her come over to my place also made it seem less predatory, as she came into my domain, and "could leave at any time".

I guess that's about it... If you have any questions about my life now or then, ask away.

jeebus
08-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Throwaway for obvious fucking reasons, and not a story of backing out like the others in this thread.

This is probably not going to surface to the top being as I'm coming to this thread late in the game, but I am a post-colleged age male who raped several girls through use of coercion, alcohol, and other tactics over a course of 3 years.

First off, I must say, I was at a dark and horrible place in my life, that I've since grown from. I'm ashamed of the person I was, if the people who I'm close to now knew who I was, I would be ruined. I'm known for being a great guy, friendly and easy to get along with, a community/political activist, a fervent volunteer in the community, and a person who rises through the ranks quickly due to successes at work. That was my mask, and I was good at it, so good that maybe I convinced myself along the line that was who I could really be, and that may of helped me change, and stop doing what I did.

I'm somewhat remorseful for what I did to those girls, but I don't think I could ever face them to apologize. I knew what I was doing was wrong, but I had this certain insatiable thirst that brought me to do what I did. I didn't know how to stop, and just when I thought maybe I could, I'd find myself back in my pattern, back on the hunt.

I'm a good looking guy, and I can get girls pretty easily. I'm currently married to a beautiful woman that I met during this time of my life (not someone I raped, but someone who knew my mask during this time). So, anyways, after a while it became boring to go after the sluts and sorority girls that would easily throw their Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_ after you. I wanted the thrill of the chase, and that's what led me to forcing myself on girls. I would find attractive girls that were self-conscious about their looks. Girls who were pretty in their own unique way, but not the outgoing sort, mostly introverts, and girls that didn't party or do wild things. Hopefully a girl who was a bit damaged, had a shitty ex-boyfriend, or family issues, came from a small shut in town, that sort of thing. So, when I showed interest in them they'd be completely enamored, they'd almost be shocked that a popular, good-looking, and well liked guy would be talking to them. I'd have that initial meeting at the library, a coffeeshop, a work function, or a party where I had them convinced of what a great guy I was. I listened to them, and made them feel special, like they were a princess. Sometimes we might sort of hook-up that night (kissing, making-out, never anything more). The next day I'd call, and see when they wanted to get together again. I'd feign some excuse for not going out somewhere, but having them come over late in the night. It was college, and not a lot of people had transportation off campus, so it was typical for people to come over and watch a movie or something on a date.

They would come over, and I'd always make sure it was real cold in the room, cold enough so that when we started watching the movie I'd say something about being chilly, and grab a big fleece blanket for the both of us. We'd get kind of close, and then maybe ignore the movie for some kissing. After a while, we'd talk some more, and I'd start edging my hands around the under strap of the bra, or maybe a bit into her pants, just kind of playing on the edge to gauge her response. Some girls would stiffen up a little, and that's when you knew they didn't like what was going on. We were in my studio apartment, so the bed served as the couch, and it was easy to start sliding down throughout the movie so we'd be laying down. It was then that I could turn around and get on top of her. The girls usually didn't know how to respond. Some of them were into it, and those nights were usually consensual and boring sex, sometimes followed up by a few more nightly visits before getting the boot. However, the great nights were the ones who squirmed, ones who didn't want to give in. I'd have to shush them down, and try to work on them slowly enough so they didn't know what was going on until it was pretty much already happening. I'm a muscular guy, over 6' around 200 lbs. and most of these girls may have been 125-130, really tiny and easy to pin down. To be honest, even remembering it now, the squirming always made it better, they didn't want it to happen, but they couldn't do anything about it. Most girls don't say no either. They think you're a good guy, and should pick up on the hints, they don't want to have to say "no" and admit to themselves what's happening.

Alcohol helped. Having a few drinks during the movie, or doing a few jello shots that were "prepared for a party that weekend" would usually do the trick.

The aftermath was always different. Some girls left after about 15 minutes after. Some girls would stay until the morning and then leave. A few tried to call back, maybe blaming themselves for what happened or something. I never worried too much about being caught. Everyone knew me, and I worked with the police a lot, with administrators, and campus officials. I was on first name basis with the Chancellor and the President of Student Affairs, so if anything came down to a he/she-said I figured I'd be in the clear. Having her come over to my place also made it seem less predatory, as she came into my domain, and "could leave at any time".

I guess that's about it... If you have any questions about my life now or then, ask away.

:lmao

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Very solid points, and makes me like the movie less. Asshole.

Youre better off knowing the truth.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Goyer is the writer

OP :lol

The Dark Knight Rises is a 2012 superhero film directed by Christopher Nolan, who co-wrote the screenplay with his brother Jonathan Nolan and the story with David S. Goyer.

At least youre not defending the absurd writing, youre just blaming someone else.

CuckingFunt
08-03-2012, 09:04 AM
No. He's not.

Clipper Nation
08-03-2012, 09:04 AM
The biggest plothole is the fact that Batman uses weapons in the movie tbh..... clearly Bane could have been stopped simply by Batman lobbying to the government for draconian weapon laws, he certainly would have voluntarily handed that shit over with no fuss tbh.....

MaNuMaNiAc
08-03-2012, 09:13 AM
I didn't much like the film either, but it does seem like you're pissed more at the man himself than at the quality of his work.

lebomb
08-03-2012, 09:16 AM
How come batman sounds like Clint Eastwood only when his mask is on?

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-03-2012, 09:59 AM
The planet's a big place. And there's this guy here named Avante.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Bump.

Added 13.

lefty
08-03-2012, 10:37 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/b9d3sy.gifhttp://i53.tinypic.com/2dumur4.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3ohf1GthR1qb3fhwo2_250.gif

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Bump.

Added 14.

spursfan09
08-03-2012, 11:01 AM
You make great points actually.

Nobody's answered my question about why a little boy with an accent is singing the national anthem. He's obviously from another country.

redzero
08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
:lol this is all kinds of pathetic. da_suns_fan's irrational hatred of Nolan is actually getting to be amusing.

redzero
08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
And the funny thing is, most of these aren't even plot holes. :lol this guy missed the actual plot holes in the movie to bitch about things that aren't plot holes.

:lol I'm pretty sure that he will come back with more "plot holes" that he found somewhere else, so he can bitch to feel superior to everybody else on here.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Nobody's answered my question about why a little boy with an accent is singing the national anthem. He's obviously from another country.

:toast

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 11:27 AM
And the funny thing is, most of these aren't even plot holes. :lol this guy missed the actual plot holes in the movie to bitch about things that aren't plot holes.

:lol I'm pretty sure that he will come back with more "plot holes" that he found somewhere else, so he can bitch to feel superior to everybody else on here.

You obviously dont know what a plot hole is.

A plot hole, or plothole, is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot, or constitutes a blatant omission of relevant information regarding the plot. These include such things as unlikely behaviour or actions of characters, illogical or impossible events, events happening for no apparent reason, or statements/events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.

redzero
08-03-2012, 11:45 AM
:lol YOU obviously don't know what "plot hole" means.

You not liking Bane's voice is not a plot hole.

Batman not figuring out the villain's plot is not a plot hole. :lol thinking that being able to fix autopilot should make one omniscient.

Bruce Wayne faked his death because he didn't want to be Bruce Wayne anymore. Not a plot hole.

Selina Kyle didn't associate herself with Bane. She was coerced into working with him and promised a device that would erase her criminal past. She had no part in any of the bombings or other shit.

Lucius Fox said that they would probably able to prove fraud. There was what? One day between Bruce losing all of his money and Gotham going into anarchy?

Bane told that speech about Harvey Dent in front of Blackgate. The only ones who seemed to care at the time were the prisoners who were put away by The Dent Act. The general public isn't show reacting to Gordon's letter.

Talia's relationship with Bruce was a ruse. Her entire Miranda Tate personality was a ruse. She didn't break character because she wanted everybody to trust her. She didn't report Blake because she wanted to get to the people Blake was working with, which worked.

Talia died because the truck she was driving dove 30 feet front first. Her end received the brunt of the force.

Ra's still wanted to use the prison. :lol how is that a plot hole?

Some of your other points are valid. There are plot holes in this movie. There are plot holes in tons of movies. That doesn't make you smarter than everybody else for being able to point them out, and it doesn't make the movies bad for having plot holes.

gaKNOW!blee
08-03-2012, 11:58 AM

If you're so obsessed with this why don't you look it up yourself?

He's from Pittsburgh.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
:lol YOU obviously don't know what "plot hole" means.

You not liking Bane's voice is not a plot hole.

This is actually true. That was just a nitpick. But the larger plot hole was that he needed a respirator to LIVE despite living okay all bandaged up in the prison.

Batman not figuring out the villain's plot is not a plot hole. :lol thinking that being able to fix autopilot should make one omniscient.

Inconsistent character behavior IS a plot hole. He's either incredibly smart or not. Cant have both. :nope

Bruce Wayne faked his death because he didn't want to be Bruce Wayne anymore. Not a plot hole.

Why? Whats wrong with being Bruce Wayne? What reason does he have to not be Bruce Wayne? Plot hole.

Selina Kyle didn't associate herself with Bane. She was coerced into working with him and promised a device that would erase her criminal past. She had no part in any of the bombings or other shit.

Yet she was all in with her "a storms coming mister wayne" speech and her friend said "this is what we wanted" when theyre stealing from all the rich people post bane takeover. She knew the location of bane's hideout and led batman into a trap. Seems she associated herself with them to me which is inconsistent with her "wanting a clean slate".

Plot hole.

Lucius Fox said that they would probably able to prove fraud. There was what? One day between Bruce losing all of his money and Gotham going into anarchy?

PROBALY able to prove fraud? :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Maybe the most quotable line in the whole movie. As if the dead people and loads of evidence that a crime went down at the stock exchange wasnt enough proof?!!!

PLOT-HOLE!!!!!! I cant believe you defended that one! You really are a moron.

Bane told that speech about Harvey Dent in front of Blackgate. The only ones who seemed to care at the time were the prisoners who were put away by The Dent Act. The general public isn't show reacting to Gordon's letter.

You might be right on this one. Maybe he was just reading to prisoners to rile violence. I'll consider removing that one.

Talia's relationship with Bruce was a ruse. Her entire Miranda Tate personality was a ruse. She didn't break character because she wanted everybody to trust her. She didn't report Blake because she wanted to get to the people Blake was working with, which worked.

Nonsense. She had no reason to stay "in character" post takeover. All letting Blake live did was to allow his plan to resurrect the cops succeed. I assume you mean she told bane about the navy seals...okay. But why didnt they just blow the bomb then since the federal government broke the rules? Why did they kill the seals and not everyone else associated with "Blake"?

Plot hole. Easily.

Talia died because the truck she was driving dove 30 feet front first. Her end received the brunt of the force.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

A dude in the back with no seat belt with a rolling nuclear bomb survives just fine but the chick up front dies from the exact same fall? What mechanical physics class did you take? This one takes quite the stretch of the imagination and is a plot hole.

Ra's still wanted to use the prison. :lol how is that a plot hole?

What for? How does he afford to run a prison. Is it sentimental to him? Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Some of your other points are valid. There are plot holes in this movie. There are plot holes in tons of movies. That doesn't make you smarter than everybody else for being able to point them out, and it doesn't make the movies bad for having plot holes.

You questioned 7 of 14. I assume you agree with the other seven.

I would consider pulling out the "Bane reads the confession" but its just so stupid. The prisoners werent made enough for being locked up "illegally"?

The Batman
08-03-2012, 12:09 PM
If da sun fan wrote a movie about me, we would all be riding unicorns having pillowfights

redzero
08-03-2012, 12:14 PM
:lol Just because somebody knows how to fix autopilot doesn't mean they should also be able to figures out giant conspiracies. That is stupid.

Ra's used the prison to put his enemies in. Bane did, too. They had lots of resources by the time they took over.

Talia also led Bane's men to Gordon. Being a mole had its benefits. They didn't blow the bomb because they took control of the situation.

If a car drives into a wall, would the front end or back be more damaged?

Bruce Wayne was suicidal and self-loathing for years. Did you not pay attention to the first hour of the movie? He stopped being Bruce Wayne and Batman so he can start over. That's not a plot hole.

Gordon and his men didn't even get far enough onto the ice. They walked a few feet and then Batman came. After that, they could easily just walk back.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Also, if "Mal" was staying in character to be a "spy", why did she stick around with Bane towards the end pretending to be a "Hostage"?

Why not "escape" and see what blake is up to?

Plot hole.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 12:16 PM
:lol Just because somebody knows how to fix autopilot doesn't mean they should also be able to figures out giant conspiracies. That is stupid.

Ra's used the prison to put his enemies in. Bane did, too. They had lots of resources by the time they took over.

Talia also led Bane's men to Gordon. Being a mole had its benefits. They didn't blow the bomb because they took control of the situation.

Bruce Wayne was suicidal and self-loathing for years. Did you not pay attention to the first hour of the movie? He stopped being Bruce Wayne and Batman so he can start over. That's not a plot hole.

Gordon and his men didn't even get far enough onto the ice. They walked a few feet and then Batman came. After that, they could easily just walk back.

He could stop being batman by "killing him off". What was his reason for killing off Wayne? Starting over? He was broke. Was does changing his identity do?

redzero
08-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Cut his ties to Gotham.

:lol And I like how you are both complaining about Talia being a mole and not continuing to be a mole.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 12:22 PM

If a dude is in the back without a seat belt, he's going to hit the front of the cargo bay with the same amount of force as if he had jumped off the bridge.

Its a plot hole, bro.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Cut his ties to Gotham.

:lol And I like how you are both complaining about Talia being a mole and not continuing to be a mole.

EXACTLY!

Inconsistent behavior = plot hole.

You understand now?

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 12:24 PM

Theyre so confident they havent gone far enough on the ice theyre willing to throw a flare onto gasoline on the ice?!!!

Plot hole.

redzero
08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
:lol Gordon could have been holding on to something.

:lol You are still being stupid with this Talia thing. Why would she still follow Blake around if she already got the people he was working with captured? Blake was alone at that point until Batman came around.

Pick a lane. Was Talia being a mole useful or not?

BUMP
08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
The real issue here is that it probably took 15 minutes to write this. That's 15 minutes where you could've been doing anything else.

I'm not saying you should commit suicide but if the possibility of discontinuing your existence were to become available it might not be a terrible idea to capitalize on it

JMarkJohns
08-03-2012, 12:27 PM
I like Nolan a lot, but theres plenty wrong with Rises, including what DSF posted above, and continued here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=64971

That said, I enjoyed the movie in spite of the flaws, but some of the weaker elements definitely undercut the overall. Bane, despite his look, wasn't maximized or well written at all, especially his ultimate objective as a mere henchman or his demise.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 12:28 PM
:

:lol You are still being stupid with this Talia thing. Why would she still follow Blake around if she already got the people he was working with captured? Blake was alone at that point until Batman came around.

Then why not kill Blake? Why not bust his hideout and kill him? Was he not a threat?

redzero
08-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't like throwing around the word "obsessed," but this guy's Nolan hatred is bordering on obsession.

lakerhaterade
08-03-2012, 12:33 PM
The real issue here is that it probably took 15 minutes to write this. That's 15 minutes where you could've been doing anything else.

I'm not saying you should commit suicide but if the possibility of discontinuing your existence were to become available it might not be a terrible idea to capitalize on it

:lol

pawe
08-03-2012, 12:49 PM
7. Two armies armed with AK-47s and pistols run at each other "Braveheart" style and fight hand-to-hand because, evidently, they forgot they had guns.

You keep on complaining about people using guns and now that they don't, you start complaining about them not using it??? :rolleyes

leemajors
08-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Inconsistent character behavior IS a plot hole.

No, that's just bad editing on the script. That's why someone else looks it over.

Lincoln
08-03-2012, 01:16 PM
You obviously take movies way too fuckin seriously. It's a comic book movie for fucks sake, shut the hell up and just watch the movie.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Cut his ties to Gotham.

Why does Wayne want to cut his ties to gotham? When did he say that?

Answer: He doesnt. Nolan just wanted a "spinning top" revelation at the end of the film for people to debate about (whether he was really alive or Alfred imagined it etc).

Gimmicky, shitting writing.

redzero
08-03-2012, 02:01 PM
:lol No, Nolan did not. He gave several hints that Bruce Wayne was alive. The only people who think the ending is ambiguous are morons.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I like Nolan a lot, but theres plenty wrong with Rises, including what DSF posted above, and continued here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=64971

That said, I enjoyed the movie in spite of the flaws, but some of the weaker elements definitely undercut the overall. Bane, despite his look, wasn't maximized or well written at all, especially his ultimate objective as a mere henchman or his demise.

Heres a really good one from your link:

35. Also during this fight scene, Bane gives lines that is misdirection to lead the audience to think Bane is the child born in the pit despite the fact that he isn't He has no reason to lie to Batman at this point regardless he says to Batman after Batman makes the lights go out, "I didn't see the sunlight until I was a man." We know this isn't true because he wasn't born in the pit prison. Talia was born in the pit prison. It almost makes it feel like they got halfway through filming before deciding that Marion Cotillard was going to be a bad guy in a sudden twist ending.
Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=64971#wSLtb3oYoaF9hw2D.99

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 02:02 PM
:lol No, Nolan did not. He gave several hints that Bruce Wayne was alive. The only people who think the ending is ambiguous are morons.

Fine, but you still didnt answer why Wayne wants to "cut his ties to Gotham".

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 02:05 PM
And another good one:

47. Bruce Wayne could barely walk without his robo-legs in the beginning of the movie from cartilage wearing out. This isn't something that heals all by itself. After he is stripped of his gear and thrown into the prison he seemingly has no troubles walking after a couple months of recovery. We are shown his robo-legs were taken when he is doing the exercises in shorts later in the prison scenes.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Batman the moron!!!

56. Batman's blind trust for a woman who stole his mothers pearls, stole his car, tricked him into a trap that resulted in his back broken, ending up in a prison in the middle east, and almost killed.

monosylab1k
08-03-2012, 03:35 PM
rofl a whole thread dedicated to saving face after this debacle...

I remember him blowing himself out of jail...thats about it.

I remember the scene with the ferries

gaKNOW!blee
08-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Lol you're seriously crying about how fast he healed? Who gives a fuck...it's a super hero movie...do you go into every movie expecting 100% reality? Thats a pretty jaded way to go about what is supposed to be a fun experience and an escape for a few hours from your own boring and shitty life.

You're wondering why Wayne wants to leave Gotham? Were you paying attention? He flat out tells Alfred that there's nothing here for him since rachaels death.

fevertrees
08-03-2012, 04:37 PM
even though I loved the movie still lots of TRUTHBOMBS all in this thread about how silly parts of it are. Nolan fanboys are just as bad as the Apple sheep.

JMarkJohns
08-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Batman the moron!!!

That was one of my favorites...

Biggest plot hole was that the physicist had only hypothesized the device could be a bomb, but in less than 30 seconds with the unfamiliar device, tinkering with it with a gun to his head, all of a sudden it's everything he feared it could be. More over, he had to know as the only man who could disarm it that he'd be killed after arming it, so why arm it and be responsible for 20 million deaths?

I could enjoy it because no matter how "real" it's still a comic movie, but there was enough disappointment to understand "sucks" arguments, and enough plot holes for me to even agree at times.

CuckingFunt
08-03-2012, 05:20 PM

It's not an accent. He pronounces the words as trained choral singers do. Any boys choir would sing the anthem the same way.

This is actually true. That was just a nitpick. But the larger plot hole was that he needed a respirator to LIVE despite living okay all bandaged up in the prison.

The respirator is not needed to live, it's needed to suppress intense physical pain. This is mentioned, clearly and specifically, by several different characters at several different points throughout the film.

Heres a really good one from your link:

35. Also during this fight scene, Bane gives lines that is misdirection to lead the audience to think Bane is the child born in the pit despite the fact that he isn't He has no reason to lie to Batman at this point regardless he says to Batman after Batman makes the lights go out, "I didn't see the sunlight until I was a man." We know this isn't true because he wasn't born in the pit prison. Talia was born in the pit prison. It almost makes it feel like they got halfway through filming before deciding that Marion Cotillard was going to be a bad guy in a sudden twist ending.

That's not a good one. The twist makes clear that Bane wasn't the kid who escaped, that he was in fact taken out of the prison as an adult, but there's absolutely nothing in the reveal to suggest he wasn't also born there or that he hadn't spent most/all of his early life in the prison. If whoever ran the prison would have thrown a woman in there to serve someone else's sentence, who's to say they wouldn't also throw a kid in prison to do the same? This would fit Bane's comic book origin.

CuckingFunt
08-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Much of the linked list is rubbish, for the record. Hard to take anyone seriously when one of their complaints--that there's no time Bane could have gotten hold of Gordon's letter about Dent--is based on the fact we don't see Bane take the letter from Gordon when he's brought into the sewer, even though we very clearly see Bane take the letter from Gordon when he's brought into the sewer.

redzero
08-03-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't think anybody here is denying that this film has plot holes. However, a lot of this is da_suns_fan just bitching about Nolan.

And on Inception, what's wrong with a movie about dreams having an "is the protagonist still dreaming" ending?

CuckingFunt
08-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't think anybody here is denying that this film has plot holes.

Agreed.

However, a lot of this is da_suns_fan just bitching about Nolan.

And doing so apparently completely unaware that blind hatred is every bit as stupid as blind worship.

silverblk mystix
08-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Agreed.

And doing so apparently completely unaware that blind hatred is every bit as stupid as blind worship.

There-there now...it will be alright, the sun will rise again in the east and Nolan will carry on- one way or another.

JMarkJohns
08-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Much of the linked list is rubbish, for the record. Hard to take anyone seriously when one of their complaints--that there's no time Bane could have gotten hold of Gordon's letter about Dent--is based on the fact we don't see Bane take the letter from Gordon when he's brought into the sewer, even though we very clearly see Bane take the letter from Gordon when he's brought into the sewer.

It was excessively nitpicky, and even inaccurate at times, but some valid story or character flaws/issues are brought up.

Venti Quattro
08-03-2012, 06:31 PM

:rollin :lmao

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 07:07 PM
I don't think anybody here is denying that this film has plot holes. However, a lot of this is da_suns_fan just bitching about Nolan.

And on Inception, what's wrong with a movie about dreams having an "is the protagonist still dreaming" ending?

Because its a gimmicky way to create buzz about the film to generate more money.

"We'll use an over-the-top ambiguous ending and maybe people will pay to see it again and again to try and figure it out".

Nothings wrong with having an ambiguous ending. "American Psycho" essentially does the exact same thing (did he REALLY kill those people or was it in his head) without losing its integrity. Youre not suppose to know if its real because Patrick Bateman doesnt know if its real.

But when you cut to a spinning top and then go to credits simply to put that question out there for the sake of doing it, then youre just selling yourself out. Just more shitty writing from Nolan.

redzero
08-03-2012, 07:11 PM
How is that over the top? It makes perfect sense to have the "was it a dream" ending IN A MOVIE ABOUT DREAMS. That was a large part of the movie.

Jesus Christ, you're stupid.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 07:15 PM
That's not a good one. The twist makes clear that Bane wasn't the kid who escaped, that he was in fact taken out of the prison as an adult, but there's absolutely nothing in the reveal to suggest he wasn't also born there or that he hadn't spent most/all of his early life in the prison. If whoever ran the prison would have thrown a woman in there to serve someone else's sentence, who's to say they wouldn't also throw a kid in prison to do the same? This would fit Bane's comic book origin.

Nonsense. The film goes over the top with the ambiguities ("a child" instead of "a boy" or "a girl") to try and create misdirection. Now you want us to believe that TWO children born in this prison?!!!

Whoa! Didnt see that coming! :lol

Give me a break. Its just shitty writing.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 07:18 PM
How is that over the top? It makes perfect sense to have the "was it a dream" ending IN A MOVIE ABOUT DREAMS. That was a large part of the movie.

Jesus Christ, you're stupid.

The film goes over the top to create different layers of dreams within dreams.

Theres no point for the final scene except to throw in a quick "maybe the whole thing is a dream" for no apparent reason. Theres nothing leading up to that scene to indicate the entire film takes place in a dream. Like i said, its just a quick gimmick to throw in at the end to create buzz.

And idiots like you eat it up. Congratulations.

redzero
08-03-2012, 07:23 PM
:lmao the entire movie built up to that. Mal not knowing whether she was dreaming or not was a huge part of the plot. There was also the part where Cobb spins his totem, but he is interrupted before he sees whether it falls or not.

The ending makes perfect sense in the context of the movie. Your irrational hatred has made you completely retarded. You bitch about stupid shit.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 07:28 PM
:lmao the entire movie built up to that. Mal not knowing whether she was dreaming or not was a huge part of the plot. There was also the part where Cobb spins his totem, but he is interrupted before he sees whether it falls or not.

The ending makes perfect sense in the context of the movie. Your irrational hatred has made you completely retarded. You bitch about stupid shit.

:wakeup

You dont even realize how clueless you are. Go back and watch it again.

redzero
08-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I have seen the movie several times. You're an idiot for bitching about a "was it all a dream" ending in a movie that constantly brings that up.

You're a blind hater. Period.

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 07:35 PM
I have seen the movie several times. You're an idiot for bitching about a "was it all a dream" ending in a movie that constantly brings that up.

You're a blind hater. Period.

Youre clueless that Mal killing herself wasnt ambiguity about whether the entire movie was a dream but rather used to show the dangers of using "Inception". He planted an idea in her mind and it fucked her up.

Go back in watch it again. You obviously didnt pay attention.

lefty
08-03-2012, 07:39 PM

:rollin

redzero
08-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I DID pay attention, moron. Your argument is retarded, which should be expected from you, since you have made several retarded arguments on here.

lefty
08-03-2012, 07:45 PM
I DID pay attention, moron. Your argument is retarded, which should be expected from you, since you have made several retarded arguments on here.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4k17x9iLG1qae7ag.gif

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Lol you're seriously crying about how fast he healed? Who gives a fuck...it's a super hero movie...do you go into every movie expecting 100% reality? Thats a pretty jaded way to go about what is supposed to be a fun experience and an escape for a few hours from your own boring and shitty life.

You're wondering why Wayne wants to leave Gotham? Were you paying attention? He flat out tells Alfred that there's nothing here for him since rachaels death.

Yeah, he's perfectly capable of walking away from everything without faking his death.

I can understand why he would want to fake Batman's death, but theres no reason he cant move to Florence with Anne Hathaway as Bruce Wayne.

Again, just more gimmicky writing from Nolan and more defensive Nolanites. :lol

CuckingFunt
08-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Because its a gimmicky way to create buzz about the film to generate more money.

"We'll use an over-the-top ambiguous ending and maybe people will pay to see it again and again to try and figure it out".

Nothings wrong with having an ambiguous ending. "American Psycho" essentially does the exact same thing (did he REALLY kill those people or was it in his head) without losing its integrity. Youre not suppose to know if its real because Patrick Bateman doesnt know if its real.

But when you cut to a spinning top and then go to credits simply to put that question out there for the sake of doing it, then youre just selling yourself out. Just more shitty writing from Nolan.

Don't know that I'd use American Psycho as my go-to example of an ambiguous ending, but that's beside the point.

The spinning top in Inception can be seen as a tacked on, ambiguous, maybe-twist, and I can understand why it might be unsatisfying as such, but I don't think that's the only way to read that moment. Rather than hinting at the "is it all a dream?" question, I think the spinning top has more to do with Cobb's catharsis. We don't see it fall because he doesn't see it fall, which calls attention to the fact he willfully walked away. He's at peace with his current situation and his current location, which is what he's longed for since the beginning of the film

Nonsense. The film goes over the top with the ambiguities ("a child" instead of "a boy" or "a girl") to try and create misdirection. Now you want us to believe that TWO children born in this prison?!!!

I don't want you to believe anything, I'm just saying that there's nothing in the film itself that says Bane wasn't born and/or raised in the prison.

You can slam the script all you want for not specifically answering that question or not specifically giving us Bane's origin, and though our opinion of its effect on the finished film would likely differ, I'd back that up. But you can't slam the script for making you think Bane was born in the prison and then saying he wasn't, because it doesn't do that. It clarifies what is said earlier, it lets both the viewers and Batman know that their assumptions were wrong, but it doesn't actually contradict or negate anything in doing so.

CuckingFunt
08-03-2012, 08:10 PM
All the spinning top talk is stupid, anyway. Everyone on both sides of the argument consistantly ignores or forgets the fact that the totem only tells you if you're in someone else's dream; it acts exactly the way you expect it to act if you're locked in your own dream.

mFFL03
08-03-2012, 08:16 PM
It's a movie...

based on a comic book...

Bill_Brasky
08-03-2012, 08:19 PM
da_suns_fan is an entertaining read.

AussieFanKurt
08-03-2012, 08:20 PM
I like Nolan's films. Memento is bloody great but Dark Knight Rises is very very average

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Don't know that I'd use American Psycho as my go-to example of an ambiguous ending, but that's beside the point.

The spinning top in Inception can be seen as a tacked on, ambiguous, maybe-twist, and I can understand why it might be unsatisfying as such, but I don't think that's the only way to read that moment. Rather than hinting at the "is it all a dream?" question, I think the spinning top has more to do with Cobb's catharsis. We don't see it fall because he doesn't see it fall, which calls attention to the fact he willfully walked away. He's at peace with his current situation and his current location, which is what he's longed for since the beginning of the film

That was Nolan's official response but i call "BS". If the scene was meant to convey that "Cobb" no longer cared, then it would make more sense to have him simply throw the top in the garbage or toss it to the side. As in "i dont care if im still dreaming, Im just happy to be here."

Instead, we see him spin the top and walk off to see his children while the audience/camera pans to the top still spinning. Any empirical catharsis is completely overshadowed by the fact that Nolan introduces a new cheap "twist" at the end to make the audience question whether he's still dreaming. How many people walked out of the theater saying "wow he really changed" versus "was he still dreaming"?

As for the Bane born in prison stuff, I understand what youre saying. But I feel the film goes over the top with misdirection (the flash-backs show a kid with a boys hair cut) and has an absurd origin plot for "Miranda Tate" to explain why she was born in a prison, why he was also in the prison, how they both escaped from the prison and yet why he was also exiled from the "League of Shadows" by her father despite saving his daughters life.

btw - I LOOOOOOVE American Psycho so back off!! :ihit

da_suns_fan
08-03-2012, 08:22 PM
da_suns_fan is an entertaining read.

:toast

Better stop while Im ahead!

DSF OUT!

lakerhaterade
08-03-2012, 08:25 PM
I like Nolan's films. Memento is bloody great but Dark Knight Rises is very very average

From "such a shit film" to very very average. Make up your fucking mind.

redzero
08-03-2012, 08:25 PM
:lol you were never ahead.
:lol and I don't think Bill_Brasky meant what you think he meant.

CuckingFunt
08-03-2012, 09:02 PM
That was Nolan's official response but i call "BS". If the scene was meant to convey that "Cobb" no longer cared, then it would make more sense to have him simply throw the top in the garbage or toss it to the side. As in "i dont care if im still dreaming, Im just happy to be here."

Instead, we see him spin the top and walk off to see his children while the audience/camera pans to the top still spinning. Any empirical catharsis is completely overshadowed by the fact that Nolan introduces a new cheap "twist" at the end to make the audience question whether he's still dreaming. How many people walked out of the theater saying "wow he really changed" versus "was he still dreaming"?

I did, for one. From the first time I saw the movie until now, I never once thought the spinning top at the end was intended to make us think Cobb was in a dream (or that he may have been in a dream without knowing it at any other point in the film, as so many theories have suggested), and my comments in the lengthy Inception thread from two years ago reflect that fact. In fact, my argument in that thread was that the film was completely straightforward and that everyone, whether they loved or hated it, was way overthinking things.

As for the Bane born in prison stuff, I understand what youre saying. But I feel the film goes over the top with misdirection (the flash-backs show a kid with a boys hair cut) and has an absurd origin plot for "Miranda Tate" to explain why she was born in a prison, why he was also in the prison, how they both escaped from the prison and yet why he was also exiled from the "League of Shadows" by her father despite saving his daughters life.

Of course it tries to misdirect. There's no question that bit is intended as a shocking reveal. And it does so by specifically exploiting the fact it's so close to Bane's origin in the comics. As I said in my initial response in one of the other threads, I don't think the reveal is particularly effective (in part because Tom Hardy's trapezius long ago became so thoroughly lodged in my memory as to make it impossible to conceal with thin robes), but it doesn't completely remove the possibility that Bane also grew up in the prison.

btw - I LOOOOOOVE American Psycho so back off!! :ihit

As do I. I just don't think it's terribly ambiguous. Or that it tries to be. It may not be clear at the end of the film or the novel just what has occurred in Bateman's head and what has occurred in real life, but unanswered questions aren't the same thing as ambiguity. The latter suggests a possibility that everything happened exactly as it is presented to the viewer/reader, but both Ellis and Harron are VERY clear in establishing Bateman as an unreliable narrator.

But, ultimately, that's a minor nitpick. I get why people call it ambiguous, even though I wouldn't necessarily choose it as an example.

AussieFanKurt
08-03-2012, 09:08 PM

From "such a shit film" to very very average. Make up your fucking mind.

You seriously have something wrong with your life if all you do is follow what I post

lakerhaterade
08-03-2012, 09:17 PM
You seriously have something wrong with your life if all you do is follow what I post

why do you avoid the criticism?

:lol backpeddling
:lol "you're following me around :cry"

Spurtacus
08-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Show me on the doll where Mr. Nolan touched you.

silverblk mystix
08-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Show me on the doll where Mr. Nolan touched you.

Jacob1983
08-04-2012, 01:40 AM
Didn't Nolan get nominated for Inception and Memento?

mouse
08-04-2012, 07:04 AM
who was the Igmo that wrote the script to Myra Breckinridge?

mouse
08-04-2012, 07:08 AM
rofl a whole thread dedicated to saving face after this debacle...

Dude are you the monosylab1k from mavtalk?