PDA

View Full Version : Is Vince Carter a Hall of Famer?

Kai
08-03-2012, 02:21 AM
I think he is. He's probably the greatest dunker ever and He's in the top 25 in scoring.

What about guys like Manu and Gasol? Is Bynum on pace to make it?

Venti Quattro
08-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Manu - yes
Pau - yes
Carter - no
Bynum - no

AussieFanKurt
I don't really know the criteria but it's probable if he's top 25 in scoring I guess?

AussieFanKurt
Bynum is no chance, others possible

DeadlyDynasty
08-03-2012, 02:25 AM
Born loser.

JayTheClown
08-03-2012, 02:34 AM
He has no significant playoff games. The only highlight in his career is a dunk context and him dunking over a Weis in the 2000 Summer Olympics. If goes in then Alex English and Mitch Richmond need to get in there to.

Yeah, Manu and Gasol will get in eventually. Don't know about Bynum tho since he is still young, but I doubt it tho.

namlook
08-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Bynum is no chance, others possible

Bynum has plenty of time. He's only 24.

smaka
08-03-2012, 05:46 AM
No.

And a big NO for Bynum too. His knees wouldn't make it!

Wild Cobra Kai
08-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Bynum has plenty of time. He's only 24.

But his knees are 42, and he never put up the primo numbers when he was young and healthy. He also won't put up enough of a resume. He's only averaged 56 games a season for 7 years. He'll probably be done as a significant player after his next contract, and that will be pre-30.

DPG21920
08-03-2012, 09:43 AM
I'd say Vince has a 50/50 shot.

- Lefty

lefty
08-03-2012, 09:44 AM
I'd say Vince has a 50/50 shot.

- Lefty
:lol

Venti Quattro
08-03-2012, 09:46 AM
wow lefty with 45,000 posts

DPG21920
08-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Rise, Lefty!

jacobdrj
08-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Were there an NBA Hall Of Fame,
Carter - No
Bynum - No
Pau - No
Manu - Maybe

But there isn't (of it there is, it has no significance).

It is a Basketball Hall Of Fame.

Pau and Manu get in on their respective international careers, by themselves. Add highly successful NBA campaigns, and they are locks. Maybe not 1st ballot (depends on who retires with them) but they will get in...

Bynum has time left. But so far, if he gets it, it will be because he was a Laker, not based on his basketball merit.

Now, to the crux of the OP title: Vince Carter. He is dynamic. But he blew his shot when he graduated. He is unfortunately defined by 2 dunks. (At least, I never got to see him be spectacular in game, he never played well when I watched him). TBH, his resume is not much better than Jerry Stackhouse. Same collegiate career too...

I would have to say that Carter is in the Dominique category, but less successful overall. So, probably not going to get in.

lefty
08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
wow lefty with 45,000 posts

Rise, Lefty!
Damn I have no social life :depressed

DPG21920
08-03-2012, 09:54 AM
"he cheat hotta, hotta. he cheat hotta hotta"

"what does it mean"

"It means Rise"

Latarian Milton
08-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Manu - yes
Pau - yes
Carter - no
Bynum - no

racism imho, bynum will have a great career with a number of rings. carter is old and almost done now but back in his days he was a real great too, both dudes should be more deserving of HOF consideration than them spanish-speaking fags tbh

Clipper Nation
08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Hell no, Vince Carter ain't getting in no Hall of Fame.... T-Mac would probably get in before him, tbh....

Venti Quattro
08-03-2012, 10:26 AM
T-Mac should get in just because of 13 points in 33 seconds. That will never, ever happen again.

jacobdrj
08-03-2012, 10:33 AM
T-Mac should get in just because of 13 points in 33 seconds. That will never, ever happen again.

I'd put T-Mac in WAY before Carter. More spectacular overall career for longer.

Man, that curse of the Orlando Magic runs deep. Imagine if Timmay had gone with G-Hill and T-Mac...

FromWayDowntown
08-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Pau and Manu get in on their respective international careers, by themselves. Add highly successful NBA campaigns, and they are locks. Maybe not 1st ballot (depends on who retires with them) but they will get in...

Assuming the voting process remains the same, I suspect Manu will be in the first year he's eligible because he'll come up as a nominee of the international committee and won't be competing directly with the North American NBA guys.

If goes in then Alex English and Mitch Richmond need to get in there to.

Alex English has been in the Hall of Fame since 1997.

Richmond was among the nominees for last year's class, but was not a finalist.

Dex
08-03-2012, 11:06 AM
http://i.imgur.com/43KWI.gif

dunkman
08-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Were there an NBA Hall Of Fame,
Carter - No
Bynum - No
Pau - No
Manu - Maybe

But there isn't (of it there is, it has no significance).

It is a Basketball Hall Of Fame.

Bynum has time left. But so far, if he gets it, it will be because he was a Laker, not based on his basketball merit.

Now, to the crux of the OP title: Vince Carter. He is dynamic. But he blew his shot when he graduated. He is unfortunately defined by 2 dunks. (At least, I never got to see him be spectacular in game, he never played well when I watched him). TBH, his resume is not much better than Jerry Stackhouse. Same collegiate career too...

I would have to say that Carter is in the Dominique category, but less successful overall. So, probably not going to get in.

'Nique was much better than Carter. He was clearly one of the best NBA players during his prime. Not quite as good as Bird, Magic or MJ - but near.

Killakobe81
08-03-2012, 12:46 PM
'Nique was much better than Carter. He was clearly one of the best NBA players during his prime. Not quite as good as Bird, Magic or MJ - but near.

This. Hell yeah Nique was better. Plus Stackhouse was a much better collegian. A Wooden finalist and SI poty. I'm a UNC fan Vince was good but stack was better. As pros its reversed

-21-
08-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Vince Carter - No. Best dunker of all-time, was definitely 'famous', good scorer, but nothing else.

Manu Ginobili - Yes.

Pau Gasol - Borderline, 50-50 chance.

Andrew Bynum - No.

monosylab1k
08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
:lol Carter has accomplished just as much internationally as Manu or Pau. Gold medal.

I'd say no to all 4 if we're going purely on their NBA careers. If you put international success in, then Manu, Pau, and VC all get maybes.

monosylab1k
08-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Of course the Basketball Hall Of Fame isn't so much a Hall of Fame as it is a Hall of Pretty Good.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-03-2012, 03:22 PM
:lol Spurfan's asshole is gonna get really tight if Kukoc doesn't make the HOF this year. If he doesn't make it then I don't see how Manu is the 1st ballot shoe-in Argie constantly says he is.

Kai
08-03-2012, 03:32 PM
There is literally not one player ahead of Carter on the all-time scoring list that isn't either in the Hall of Fame or going to the Hall of Fame once they are eligible. I don't see how Carter doesn't get in for his scoring alone.

whitemamba
08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Of course the Basketball Hall Of Fame isn't so much a Hall of Fame as it is a Hall of Pretty Good.

this.

wtf has vince accomplished honestly, winning a dunk contest means nothing, thats pure entertainment. Manu and Pau will make it because they are international players that contributed a great amount to win multiple championships.. as for bynum if his knees keep up, he will for sure make it.

Spurtacus
08-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Carter-no
Manu-yes
Pau-yes
Bynum-no (but he's got time if his knees hold up)

DPG21920
08-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Manu is easily a HOF with 3 NBA Championships, a Euroleague Championship and an Olympic Gold.

monosylab1k
08-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Manu is easily a HOF with 3 NBA Championships, a Euroleague Championship and an Olympic Gold.

That's part of why the BBHOF is horseshit. Why should winning a second tier league be considered at all? Did Stephon Marbury's HOF chances increase after winning the Chinese league?

monosylab1k
08-03-2012, 04:28 PM
anyways Kukoc also has 3 NBA Titles, on top of that 3 Euroleague titles and a Gold at the FIBA World Championships, which to the rest of the world is considered bigger than the Olympics.

If Kukoc doesn't get in then Ginobili sure as hell shouldn't either.

DPG21920
08-03-2012, 04:30 PM
That's part of why the BBHOF is horseshit. Why should winning a second tier league be considered at all? Did Stephon Marbury's HOF chances increase after winning the Chinese league?

Well, Euroleague is considered to be the 2nd best overall thing you can win outside of the NBA. It's certainly not the NBA, but that title is a quality title. Chinese league is no where near the level.

Gino is one of only two players in history to do what I mentioned which is why he will get in for sure.

Also you answered your own question - it's considered since it's the basketball hof, not just the NBA hof.

DPG21920
08-03-2012, 04:31 PM
anyways Kukoc also has 3 NBA Titles, on top of that 3 Euroleague titles and a Gold at the FIBA World Championships, which to the rest of the world is considered bigger than the Olympics.

If Kukoc doesn't get in then Ginobili sure as hell shouldn't either.

He will get in - but FIBA is not considered as prestigious as winning an Olympic Gold.

monosylab1k
08-03-2012, 04:32 PM
He will get in - but FIBA is not considered as prestigious as winning an Olympic Gold.

In the basketball world outside of the US, a FIBA Gold is more important than Olympic Gold.

DPG21920
08-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Manu has a FIBA Silver

monosylab1k
08-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Kukoc has two Olympic silvers

DAF86
08-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Will Mono try to pass his ignorance as trolling later?

monosylab1k
08-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Will Mono try to pass his ignorance as trolling later?

ignorance of what?

DAF86
08-03-2012, 04:42 PM
:lol Spurfan's asshole is gonna get really tight if Kukoc doesn't make the HOF this year. If he doesn't make it then I don't see how Manu is the 1st ballot shoe-in Argie constantly says he is.

Kukoc didn't win olympic gold nor was he an all-star in the NBA. Either way he will get in.

DAF86
08-03-2012, 04:42 PM
ignorance of what?

Of this:

In the basketball world outside of the US, a FIBA Gold is more important than Olympic Gold.

monosylab1k
08-03-2012, 04:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/48533/is-the-nba-divorcing-the-olympics

In most of the world, the FIBA World Championships -- which features more teams, and many say a better format -- were long more important than the Olympics. But to U.S. audiences, the Olympics have always been the thing.

Will DAF86 try to pass his ignorance as trolling later?

DAF86
08-03-2012, 04:53 PM
:lol that's bullshit.

If the FIBA World Championships were more meaningful for the rest of the World why the fuck do International players snub the Worlds but not the Olimpics?

monosylab1k
08-03-2012, 04:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/48533/is-the-nba-divorcing-the-olympics

In most of the world, the FIBA World Championships -- which features more teams, and many say a better format -- were long more important than the Olympics. But to U.S. audiences, the Olympics have always been the thing.

Will DAF86 try to pass his ignorance as trolling later?

DAF86
08-03-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm part of "the rest of the World" and let me tell you Olympic basketball > World championship. At least on this part of the World and in others that I have acces through internet like Spain.

Monostradamus
08-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Samuel Eto'o
08-03-2012, 05:02 PM
:eyebrows i was jus trollin' about the manu>dirk thing the whole time guise. lol mavfan gets so butthurt!

Samuel Eto'o
08-03-2012, 05:06 PM
tbh maybe its just me and my glorification of the old slam dunk contest, but I think the fact that Vince put together the best slam dunk contest showing of all time should be put into consideration for the HoF.
OP is right, GOAT dunker + top 25 scorer should equal HoF.

DPG21920
08-03-2012, 05:09 PM
http://blog.chron.com/olympics/2012/08/jerry-colangelo-does-not-support-an-olympic-age-limit-for-nba-players/

Colangelo’s argument is not a particularly good one, and not just because USA Basketball (with the help of its very special friend Nike) is arguably about the money as much as it’s about the game. While one aspect of Stern’s idea involves restricting the Olympics, in theory the World Championships would subsequently become a tournament with the importance that the Olympics carries now. The reason for this change is primarily money, but that doesn’t mean the game would suffer, as well. In fact, with more teams, more games, and more stars involved, it’s possible that an expanded World Championships would actually produce a more exciting and more global competition. People are right to be wary of any shift this major, as they should be with any transformative act. However, the fact remains that the best form of the Stern proposal actually sounds pretty darn fantastic

pass1st
08-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Does Vince deserve to be in the HoF? Not really, but how many people are in it that don't deserve to be in anyways?

#41 Shoot Em Up
08-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Carter- :lol
Bynum- If he ever gets his shit together it would be a no brainer
Gasol-No
Manu- Yes

DPG21920
08-03-2012, 05:50 PM
These debates always turn into the merits of the HOF itself and get away from what it is when discussing certain players.

Kai
08-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Does Vince deserve to be in the HoF? Not really, but how many people are in it that don't deserve to be in anyways?

That's my thought for creating this thread. Are his accolades comparable to those in the Hall? I believe they are.

whitemamba
08-03-2012, 06:21 PM
http://comicadze.com/thumbnails/large_i_love_this_thread_43767.jpeg

namlook
08-03-2012, 07:00 PM

It's been done and even better.

Reggie Miller has scored 18 points in 30 seconds and 8 points in 8.9 seconds.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-03-2012, 10:23 PM
:lol Carter has accomplished just as much internationally as Manu or Pau. Gold medal.

I'd say no to all 4 if we're going purely on their NBA careers. If you put international success in, then Manu, Pau, and VC all get maybes.

Manu - El Jeffe of Olympic gold medal team and WC silver medal team. Euroleague MVP. Euroleague champion.

Not quite the same as Pau and VC.

TDMVPDPOY
08-03-2012, 10:34 PM
didnt he sell out one of the nets plays to an opposing team? hof? GTFO

JayTheClown
08-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Assuming the voting process remains the same, I suspect Manu will be in the first year he's eligible because he'll come up as a nominee of the international committee and won't be competing directly with the North American NBA guys.

Alex English has been in the Hall of Fame since 1997.

Richmond was among the nominees for last year's class, but was not a finalist.

Shit, good catch didn't realize

TDMVPDPOY
08-04-2012, 01:48 AM
dont think dominique wilkens is in the hall, how can vc make it?

Pelicans78
08-04-2012, 08:48 AM
dont think dominique wilkens is in the hall, how can vc make it?

Nique is a Hall of Famer.

DontStopBelieving
08-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Fuck those videos :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-04-2012, 12:47 PM
:eyebrows i was jus trollin' about the manu>dirk thing the whole time guise. lol mavfan gets so butthurt!
:lol DAF did pull a mega-Lefty when he suddenly started pretending Manu>Dirk was just trolling.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Kukoc didn't win olympic gold nor was he an all-star in the NBA. Either way he will get in.
:lol

"He's gonna get into the HOF but I still feel the need to qualify it in the event he doesn't get in!"

DPG21920
08-04-2012, 01:00 PM
I think he was saying comparing Manu to Kukoc doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but Kukoc will still get in.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-04-2012, 01:06 PM
As far as their HOF credentials go, they seem pretty comparable to me.

DPG21920
08-04-2012, 01:11 PM
That would be like saying Horry is as good/better than Kobe because he has more rings. While some of the overall accolades are similar, Gino has been a better player and more impactful. He also has done a combo of things (Olympic Gold, NBA Championship, Euroleague Championship) that is rare company (like players who win League & Finals MVP in the same season in the NBA).

Either way, the point of what he said wasn't to qualify his statement - it was to say comparing him to Manu isn't exactly apples to apples (whether you argree or not is another story entirely).

ElNono
08-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Manu is a shoe-in and I suspect the "Golden Generation" Argentina team will likely be inducted too in due time. Basically, they simply made history being the first team to beat Team USA with NBA players (in the US, no less) and are still the only national team to actually beat them twice. They would be the first international team to be inducted.

DPG21920
08-04-2012, 01:21 PM
It's not really an argument if you know how the Basketball HOF works. Again, most of the arguments are out of either ignorance of how the HOF works or they debate whether it's a good system/HOF. While those may be valid arguments, when it comes to the reality of what it actually is, Manu is a HOF.

ChrisRichards
08-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Manu Yes
Pau Gasol Yes

VC put toronto on the map and made the SD comp exciting again.

Bynum lulz

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-04-2012, 01:28 PM
That would be like saying Horry is as good/better than Kobe because he has more rings.
As far as HOF credentials, what players do you think have credentials more similar to those of Manu than Kukoc does?

While some of the overall accolades are similar, Gino has been a better player and more impactful.
Ginobili was more impactful in the NBA, but Kukoc was the more impactful player in Europe.

He also has done a combo of things (Olympic Gold, NBA Championship, Euroleague Championship) that is rare company (like players who win League & Finals MVP in the same season in the NBA).
As already mentioned, Kukoc has 3 NBA championships, 3 Euroleague championships, 1 FIBA world championship, and 2 Olympic silver medals. That's just as impressive as Manu's "combo of things"

DPG21920
08-04-2012, 01:42 PM
As far as HOF credentials, what players do you think have credentials more similar to those of Manu than Kukoc does?

Ginobili was more impactful in the NBA, but Kukoc was the more impactful player in Europe.

As already mentioned, Kukoc has 3 NBA championships, 3 Euroleague championships, 1 FIBA world championship, and 2 Olympic silver medals. That's just as impressive as Manu's "combo of things"

I don't really feel like arguing something that is very obivous. Manu is a lock for the HOF and is considered a better player. This is not arguable.

ElNono
08-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Kukoc was a great player and comparable to an extent, but Tony could never elevate his team past the ultimate challenge: Team USA. Now, we can argue that Tony's Croatia would've beat the 2002-2004 Team USA (and I could buy that), but then we're going into the coulda-shoulda which obviously weight less than actually getting it done.

ElNono
08-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Also, people trying to put down Kukoc to elevate Manu are doing it wrong, IMO. Kukoc was a phenomenal player and his achievements speak to that.

DPG21920
08-04-2012, 02:06 PM
No one is putting him down.

ElNono
08-04-2012, 02:22 PM
No one is putting him down.

My bad. I thought somebody pulled the usual idiocy already. Make it a preemptive warning.

It's like when we find out 10 years later that, in fact, Shaq was a role player.