PDA

View Full Version : If Coach K took an NBA contender...

Venti Quattro
08-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Will he be able to steer the said contender to an NBA championship?

DMC
08-03-2012, 09:39 AM
No. He's never dealt with personalities that have more power than he does. It's like asking if a Harvard Economics professor could lead a fortune 500 company and be successful.

lefty
08-03-2012, 09:45 AM
What DMC said

Latarian Milton
08-03-2012, 09:48 AM
depends on which "contender" you're referring to. if you mean us heat, well, as long as the philibeaner could lead us to glory, so can anyone else. ain't denying other teams the chance to do surprise but it'd be very difficult & unlikely to steal one from our closet tbh

jacobdrj
08-03-2012, 09:56 AM
No. Not unless there was overwhelming talent and unblossomed egos like Larry Brown and the '04 Pistons or the '12 Heat...

You don't need good coaches in the NBA. You need good ego managers. Guys like P-Jax, Rick Adleman, and even Doc Rivers. The later 2 not being good game managers.

Rick Carlisle was an exception in that he isn't a very good personality manager long term, but his game management and decision making is 2nd to none...

pass1st
08-03-2012, 11:46 AM
He'd be a decent coach, but K knows he does much better in a college setting which is why he turned down offers to coach NBA

BUMP
08-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I don't see why not if the team is a legit contender. He's already had practice coaching the biggest egos in the NBA at a high stage so I don't think he'd be in over his head

Baseline
08-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Absolutely not. He's the most overrated coach in the history of mankind.

The only season he's had in the last fifteen years when his roster wasn't loaded with talent, Duke was getting beaten like a drum...so he took a leave of absence due to a "back ailment." Well, the back ailment, as anybody from N.C. knows, was actually a nervous breakdown.

The guy is a weak, snarly little prick.

Lincoln
08-03-2012, 01:30 PM

The only season he's had in the last fifteen years when his roster wasn't loaded with talent, Duke was getting beaten like a drum...so he took a leave of absence due to a "back ailment." Well, the back ailment, as anybody from N.C. knows, was actually a nervous breakdown.

You're example is irrelevant you stupid fuck. We aren't talking about a weak roster but a legit NBA contender.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Latarian has the most convincing argument in this thread. If the Phillibeaner can lead a team to a championship, then Coach K definitely can.

BUMP
08-03-2012, 03:15 PM

:lol getting teams that never have any size and are only built around short honkies that can shoot = "loaded with talent"

whitemamba
08-03-2012, 04:56 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4jcp8w8uu1r8vtfio1_500.jpg

DMC
08-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I don't see why not if the team is a legit contender. He's already had practice coaching the biggest egos in the NBA at a high stage so I don't think he'd be in over his head
Not really. He's got a team full of superstars (minus Harden). They are playing for free. There's no competition to speak of. He's not trying to fill the seats. He's not trying to keep his job by being friends with the "face of the franchise".

There are a ton of differences between coaching the USA Olympic team and coaching a for-profit franchise successfully.

I think he could be a good assistant coach or a trainer. Eventually he could be a good head coach, he commands respect already, but he needs years in the ringer before he gets the picture that he's expendable and his way means jack shit if a Kobe or Melo doesn't want to do it.

DMC
08-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Latarian has the most convincing argument in this thread. If the Phillibeaner can lead a team to a championship, then Coach K definitely can.
There's a difference between a contender and "favored to win the championship" team. Hell, Switzer took Dallas to a championship since he inherited a championship team.

OKC was a contender. Could coach K do any better than Brooks? I don't think so.

I think the crux of the question is whether K could make the difference to take a talented team to a championship, could he make the difference that the team needs to get over the hump. Teams that could get there with the towelboy running the show aren't in need of anyone to get them over then hump. The Heat won despite Spo, not because of him.

Greg Oden
08-03-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm a Tarheels fan!

Step 2 Texas
08-03-2012, 07:37 PM
You're example is irrelevant you stupid fuck. We aren't talking about a weak roster but a legit NBA contender.

http://www.asianweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dreamstimeweb_angry374345_1.jpg

DMC
08-03-2012, 07:47 PM
http://herro.urbanup.com/2736898

herro crass, today we gonna rearn about abraham rincoln and his poricy.
(hello class, today we're gonna learn about abraham lincoln and his policy)

Wild Cobra Kai
08-03-2012, 08:42 PM

It's the difference between being a teacher and a summer camp counselor. Coach K is the camp counselor.

cesare borgia
08-03-2012, 09:28 PM

Dean Smith is the most overrated coach of all-time! Lol, two NCAA titles with all that talent.

Latarian Milton
08-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Not really. He's got a team full of superstars (minus Harden). They are playing for free. There's no competition to speak of. He's not trying to fill the seats. He's not trying to keep his job by being friends with the "face of the franchise".

There are a ton of differences between coaching the USA Olympic team and coaching a for-profit franchise successfully.

I think he could be a good assistant coach or a trainer. Eventually he could be a good head coach, he commands respect already, but he needs years in the ringer before he gets the picture that he's expendable and his way means jack shit if a Kobe or Melo doesn't want to do it.

K been used to coaching a non-profit team in Duke at least he doesn't get paid THAT much coaching a college team as NBA coaches do coaching NBA teams imho, and that might be the reason why he's achieved more successes as US headcoach than most of his predecessors

BUMP
08-04-2012, 09:55 AM

I didn't mean from an X's or O's standpoint, I meant from a respect standpoint. You or I could be the head coach of this USA team and still probably win gold. My point was that after "coaching" all the top players in the NBA he'll demand a lot more respect than any other swinging dick.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2012, 09:56 AM
2 words: Rick Pitino

DMC
08-04-2012, 11:32 AM
K been used to coaching a non-profit team in Duke at least he doesn't get paid THAT much coaching a college team as NBA coaches do coaching NBA teams imho, and that might be the reason why he's achieved more successes as US headcoach than most of his predecessors
I agree with this. With zero pressure to fill the stands and zero pressure to allow showboating on the floor, Mike K is a good fit for Team USA.

I think he would have the respect of the players early on, but let someone lose some minutes or let Mike K do some things his way and not win a few games in a row and I think media and fans destroy him, and a D Wade or Carmelo type personality turns their back on him.