PDA

View Full Version : Parade and 'Dome Plan

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 02:46 PM
I know that some people wanted to GTG at the Parade and 'Dome tomorrow.

So what's the game plan? Does anyone have a copy of the parade route because we need to be near the beginning of the route in order to run over to the AlamoDome. Also, if anyone is planning on only going to the AlamoDome and not to the parade, maybe they can save a group of seats.

As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) people can start lining up for the parade at 4pm (and it begins at 6pm) and the doors open to the Alamodome at 5pm (and it begins at 9pm).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Plans?

MannyIsGod
06-24-2005, 02:48 PM
We can meet at Jekka's. It is one mile north of downtown and it's in a good neighborhood so your cars will be safe. There is also plenty of parking.

From that point, we can just catch a Via downtown or have a couple of people with larger vehicles drive and park.

PM me for directions.

ShoogarBear
06-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Is anyone going to be taping and willing to make a copy for me? I'll cover all the costs, etc.

RashoFan
06-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Meet up for lunch maybe? Like Sam's burgers, Mexican Manhatten....I am up for anything, except for having to make a run/mad dash to the dome...did something to my knee and it is ouchie....

MannyIsGod
06-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Also, if we find a spot torwards the begining of the Parade, we will have plenty of time to get to the Dome. We have the option of walking, taking a trolley, or someone can drive us there.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 02:51 PM
Well they are opening the 'Dome at 5pm, so we'll still have to hurry. I think it's easiest to walk/run from the parade to there. That's what we did in 2003.

thispego
I have never been to a Champiosnhip Parade!! I dont even know what to expect.!! me and some of my friends are going to try to rent one hotel room and just pile everyone in there.... but what the hell is the deal??? what should we do?

SFSpursFan
I seriously considering flying in for the celebration. It will be the first time that I've had to opportunity to attend one. Won't the Alamodome fill up before the River Parade is over?

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Won't the Alamodome fill up before the River Parade is over?

No, but it will fill up fast.

Vashner
06-24-2005, 02:55 PM
I am gonna tuff it out on the river.. got the SPF 45 screen ready to go.. because you get so close to the players and trophy.. it's uber..

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-24-2005, 02:55 PM
You know what, if the usual suspects are all getting together for the parade, I'll make an exception and go with you all to both.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2005, 02:57 PM
The key is getting a spot as close to the begining of the Parade as possible. I've never had problems getting spots where you can see evrything from, regardless of the amount of people there, though.

Vashner
06-24-2005, 02:58 PM
My favorite is close to or inside the rivercenter turn around.. You get to see them twice :)

King
06-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Is the parade/dome going to be televised? I'm going to be out of town, and checked the tivo guide and didn't see it. Anyone know?

Ginofan
06-24-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm there!

spurschick
06-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Beginning of parade route. Run/Walk to the Dome. I'm not as familiar with the river either, so I will leave that to the experts. Manny?

Vashner
06-24-2005, 03:06 PM
The parade will be on local tv I am sure.

Vashner
06-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Beginning of parade route. Run/Walk to the Dome. I'm not as familiar with the river either, so I will leave that to the experts. Manny?

It starts near the Arnison Theater... then goes down to rivercenter mall and turns around. Then they go a on another leg and get out. Get into busses and go to Alamodome.

boutons
06-24-2005, 03:26 PM
anybody wanna mark up this image where to meet and what is the best walking path from there to the Alamodome?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/bamboozool2/999_temp/parade_and_rally.jpg

boutons
06-24-2005, 03:28 PM
I think the SpursTalk management should have big banner saying "SpursTalk.com says blah blah", made at Kinko's to be hoisted at the river parade. :)

timvp
06-24-2005, 03:31 PM
This seems like a mission for Buddy Holly. He knows this city like the back of his hand.

What up, BH?

RashoFan
06-24-2005, 03:45 PM
BTW...I went to Dixie flag today I have all 6 Flags...for the countries of our team.....SpursChick called dibs on Argentina...Who called dibs on New Zeland?
Timvp would you like to have VI? I still have France and USA....anyone want to call those?

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 03:46 PM
timvp and I will take VI.

spurschick
06-24-2005, 03:48 PM
BTW...I went to Dixie flag today I have all 6 Flags...for the countries of our team.....SpursChick called dibs on Argentina...Who called dibs on New Zeland?
Timvp would you like to have VI? I still have France and USA....anyone want to call those?

This is going to be sweet! Thanks Rashofan!

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-24-2005, 03:48 PM
I got New Zealand! Or if Manny wants NZ, I'll take USA or France.

RashoFan
06-24-2005, 03:50 PM
They did not have real big flags in all countries...and the ones they did...they were $70.00. The flags I got y'all are about the size of a laptop....

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-24-2005, 03:51 PM
BTW, whoever has the best photo from our group tomorrow, I want to run it as wild art on the sports page of The University Star in next week's issue.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2005, 03:53 PM
We need to meet up at about 3:15, to ensure we have time to get a spot. So be at Jekka's by 3:15.

Also, I would reccomend people brining a lot of water and the like. It's going to be hot and we're going to be doing a lot of standing/walking. I have a couple of backpacks that we can fill up with bottled waters, and while they won't stay cold for that long, it'll help. They usually don't allow ice chests, so you gotta do what you can.

kskonn
06-24-2005, 04:00 PM
man i am in. I will already be downtown for a meeting, where can I meet you guys once you are on the way to downtown?

catydid
06-24-2005, 04:04 PM
ShoogarBear, I'm taping the parade and the Dome celebration and sending a copy to the kid who lives just outside of Detroit. She's been wearing her Spurs stuff and getting a lot of flack from some Pistons fans up there. But she's a tough little thing and will only take so much. Besides, who has the trophy? Email me at [email protected] and we can discuss the situation.

catydid
06-24-2005, 04:07 PM
MannyIsGod: what you do is get your camelbacks, fill them about 3/4 with water and put them in the freezer the night before. Your water stays cold for quit awhile and if you're wearing it, it sure helps to keep you cool. I do that for the Flambeau and it works great!

wildbill2u
06-24-2005, 04:08 PM
I know that some people wanted to GTG at the Parade and 'Dome tomorrow.

So what's the game plan? Does anyone have a copy of the parade route because we need to be near the beginning of the route in order to run over to the AlamoDome. Also, if anyone is planning on only going to the AlamoDome and not to the parade, maybe they can save a group of seats.

As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) people can start lining up for the parade at 4pm (and it begins at 6pm) and the doors open to the Alamodome at 5pm (and it begins at 9pm).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Plans?

Why not pick a section in the Dome and have all the Spurstalk folks meet there? I drove over from Houston for the home games and am trying to stay over another couple of nights to join in the festivities. It's be fun to meet some of the posters I've met over the past few months. :smokin

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 04:44 PM
If we would be guaranteed to find room in a particular section, then we could do that. But that section might be full by the time we get in.

I can give you my cell phone number and you can me and I'll tell you where we are at once we are in, if you want.

sa_butta
06-24-2005, 04:48 PM
We need to meet up at about 3:15, to ensure we have time to get a spot. So be at Jekka's by 3:15.

Also, I would reccomend people brining a lot of water and the like. It's going to be hot and we're going to be doing a lot of standing/walking. I have a couple of backpacks that we can fill up with bottled waters, and while they won't stay cold for that long, it'll help. They usually don't allow ice chests, so you gotta do what you can.Put your waters in the freezer and by the time we get there it will be ice cold water. Anyone have an insulated bag.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Details on the Spurs Championship Celebration

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=8938B0F5-82EA-4E58-AA5B-72CCC2C59A8A

San Antonians are invited downtown Saturday to help the San Antonio Spurs, SBC and the City of San Antonio celebrate a third NBA Championship. A river parade community celebration begins at 6pm on the River Walk. Following the river parade, the celebration will move to the Alamodome for a special ceremony beginning at 9:00 p.m.

Both events are part of the 2005 Spurs Championship Celebration, presented by SBC and will be broadcast live by several local network affiliates.

RIVER PARADE DETAILS:

The river parade will begin at 6pm at the Arneson River Theater, travel through the River Center extension, and end at the Augusta Street Bridge. Barges will carry Spurs players and coaches, Spurs officials, former Spurs players, City and Bexar County officials, live musical entertainers and others down the city’s signature attraction.

Fans will not be allowed to claim a spot on the River Walk to view the parade until 4pm the day of the parade.
Only those individuals with credentials will be allowed to view the parade from Arneson River Theater.
Due to security precautions, no ice chests, alcoholic beverages, glass containers, chairs, shopping bags, packages, Silly String or similar items will be allowed on the River Walk.
ALAMODOME CELEBRATION DETAILS:

Spurs players, coaches and local officials will address fans at the Alamodome and show off the latest championship trophy. The doors for the Alamodome celebration will open at 5pm. No tickets will be needed to enter the dome. Fans who arrive early at the dome will be able to watch the victory parade broadcast live on an LED video wall as well as highlights of the Spurs 2005 championship run. Limited public parking will be available in the Alamodome Lot C for $8.

PARKING / VIA PARK & RIDE INFORMATION:

Fans are encouraged to park at one of the City’s downtown parking garages or surface lots. More than 4,000 parking spaces are available near the River Walk and the Alamodome. Parking fees range from $3 to $8, depending on location.

Parking Garages Surface Lots
Marina- Market & Bowie Houston/Nolan Lot
Riverbend – Commerce & Presa Center Street Lot
Houston Street – College & Navarro Crockett Lot
St. Mary’s Street – St. Mary’s & Travis Sutton Lot

VIA Park & Ride will be available from Crossroads Mall and Randolph Boulevard. Shuttles will begin at 3pm. VIA charges $5 for each round trip passenger. However, a discount fare of $2.50 is available for children ages 5-11 years old, senior citizens 62 years or older with a photo ID, Medicare recipients, persons with disabilities, and students with a valid VIA ID.

Vashner
06-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Hopefully I can get more pics of Tommy lee jones hahah... :)

PakiDan
06-24-2005, 06:27 PM

I will take one - France or USA. DIBS DIBS.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Dude, I represented Kiwi, I got dibs on NZ. Joe you can take the French of USA one, but Marks is my boy!

MannyIsGod
06-24-2005, 06:40 PM
The best places to watch are going to be in the vicinity of RiverCenter mall. That is torwards the first half of the parade and and in closer proximity to the Alamodome.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-24-2005, 06:43 PM
I'll take the US flag.

boutons
06-24-2005, 06:45 PM
ok. r/c it is.

How will they prevent people from parking their fat asses in position before 4 PM?

I'm buying another re-chargeable battery for my camera, and taking extra CD-W's. hope to get 100's of pics.

I think the alamodome deal should be a separate day and at Alamo Stadium, seenig how boringly dry the weather is for the next x weeks.

Vashner
06-24-2005, 07:42 PM
The best places to watch are going to be in the vicinity of RiverCenter mall. That is torwards the first half of the parade and and in closer proximity to the Alamodome.

Right under the bridge is where im gonna try to get.. from there Run up stairs in mad dash to alamodome..

boutons
06-24-2005, 08:10 PM
While I'm at the River Parade in person, I will record it on DVR.

Any recommendations of which SA channel has better TV coverage?

Vashner
06-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Woah. I forgot I have a DVD-R in the living room ...ROFL

mrcoon29
06-24-2005, 09:55 PM

Any recommendations of which SA channel has better TV coverage?Can't you record two channels of this?? or is someone else gonna be watching the TV??

In '99 I was staked out at the RC lagoon. Excellent maximum viewage. Me and a buddy of mine are gonna try it again this year along with the mad dash to the Dome. In '99 though you got a free seat ticket for the Dome so at least you knew where you were gonna sit for sure. Without a seat number some folks get there and hold a large crap load of seats and you wander around trying to find an area for everyone. Bring your binoculars for the Dome!! :elephant

BTW, resturants on the RiverWalk are basically first come first serve, keep eating keep your seat! :lol

wildbill2u
06-24-2005, 10:04 PM
If we would be guaranteed to find room in a particular section, then we could do that. But that section might be full by the time we get in.

I can give you my cell phone number and you can me and I'll tell you where we are at once we are in, if you want.

Gimme the number. You can private email me if you like

RashoFan
06-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Here is the list for Flags:

Argentina > SpursChick
France > PakiDan
New Zeland > Manny Is God
Slovenia > Angel_Luv and Me
USA >Johnny Blaze
Virgin Island > TiMVP & Kori

The flags are on the small size...About the size of a sheet of computer paper....maybe I'll plan ahead for next year and we can have the bigger flags.

Vashner
06-24-2005, 10:48 PM
I think this time the Alamodome will fill up a LOT faster.... more wagoneer's.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Everyone who is coming in our group needs to be at Jess' house by 3:15pm. If you need directions, PM or call Manny.

LJ and I are staying downtown tomorrow night. So we will already be down there. Everyone will get in the least number of vehicles at Jess' house and get downtown where you will meet LJ and I in the lobby of our hotel at 4pm. Our hotel is right in the parade path, so from there we'll get our spot.

Everyone who is meeting at Jess' place - sign in this thread so they know to expect you.

Faccia di Angelo
06-24-2005, 11:26 PM
I think I'll just be making it out to the Alamodome again this year, hopefully. Last time we were up pretty high and I want to be closer. But I think its a good idea for you guys to be as close to the beginning of the river parade as possible to get out of there. I got great pics on the river in 99 but I doubt I'll get that close again. Damn I need to find someone with a video camera for the Dome! I forgot they are allowed right?

RashoFan
06-24-2005, 11:28 PM
I am There!!! Manny I will call you around lunch time...

JustSpurs
06-24-2005, 11:41 PM

Any recommendations of which SA channel has better TV coverage?
I know KENS will have coverage beginning at 5PM....I think one of the local TV stations will be streaming it..I saw an ad on TV today advestising such but I can't remember which one. Kori just informemed me that spurs.com will be streaming it for you that can't make it live.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-25-2005, 12:51 AM
I'll be there.

SFSpursFan
06-25-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm flying in from the Bay Area, just for the celebration! I'm ready to yell loud!

Woo hoo!

ShoogarBear
06-25-2005, 09:00 AM
catydid, I sent you an e-mail yesterday.

spurschick
06-25-2005, 09:58 AM
I'll be there

Horry For 3!
06-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I wish I could go :depressed

nbascribe
06-25-2005, 02:21 PM
okay gang I'll be at Mad Dog's...Kori txt message me on my cell if there's anything afterwards!!

GM

Lorna Cole
06-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Does anyone know if they are allowing video cameras or zoom cameras in there? I haven't read anything about not allowing them, but want to be sure.

FilSpursFan
06-25-2005, 07:46 PM
I wish I were in SA...
:pctoss :depressed