PDA

View Full Version : How athletic is/was the spurs big 3?

mrjap2x
08-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Specifically Tim Duncan, since I wasn't able to watch most of his prime years. Ginobili is average at worst and Tony Parker is athletic enough to dunk. Much better if someone can post their verticals too.

AussieFanKurt
08-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Ginobili with average athleticism, is something wrong with you?

flipspursfan
08-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Tim Duncan had very good body control such that he's able to run and stop on a dime then make his post moves. The problem now is that the brakes aren't working. Ginobili was an above average athlete that was able to contort his body and get to the lane at will and finish strong. Parker was blazing fast before and could change directions quicker than anyone in the NBA

emanueldavidginobili
08-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Lol at Ginobili average athleticism, is that a joke?

sananspursfan21
08-05-2012, 07:31 PM
ginobili has/had superior athleticism, gee wiz! he still does some incredible drive to the lane dunks every now and again. parker obviously has incredible athleticism, the only dunk ive ever witnessed was a wide open two handed garbage bucket as a result of a fast break where the d gave up. not to take away from his abilities, he can dunk if he wants to, i would imagine it's too much effort on his part given his height and he's not as explosive in the legs as some.

Timmy, for a 6'11 270 lb dude, was very athletic, very mobile, deceptively quick. he wasn't a blake griffin athlete by any means. if strong counts as athletic, he was the only big who shaq claimed could defend him. they even had somewhat of a rivalry from 00-04 during all those playoff meetings. Yeah, Timmy was athletic in his day, injuries slowed him throughout his career but he was a monster.

emanueldavidginobili
08-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I think Ginobili athleticism was highly underrated.

mrjap2x
08-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I said average at worst because I don't really watch too many games, I'm more of a box score guy. I guess I should have said at the very least since you seem to misunderstand my statement.

sananspursfan21
08-05-2012, 07:40 PM
I said average at worst because I don't really watch too many games, I'm more of a box score guy. I guess I should have said at the very least since you seem to misunderstand my statement.

ok, here, worded better: when playing with an injury, manu ginobili's athleticism is average at worst. he played injured pretty frequently and maybe that's where you see his athleticism being average. heck, even when injured he could still whoop guys off the dribble

lmbebo
08-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Ginobli wasn't as athletic as Lebron or Kobe, but he had above avg athleticism and amazing body control.

TP as stated.

Timmy, pretty good athleticism. Never close to DRob or Hakeem. But great foot work, body control, strength. Used all his physical abilities to there max. His style of play is the reason why he can still be so good today.

MmP
08-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Manu used to poster a couple of centers here and there in his prime, he was very atheltic. I remember Tim dunking over prime Ben Wallace (today that might mean little, but in 04 it was like dunking over howard)

Wild Cobra Kai
08-05-2012, 09:25 PM
In NBA athleticism terms, in their primes:
Ginobili - Average
Parker - Above average
Duncan - Average

Comparables:
JR Smith - Ungodly
Westbrook,Rose - Ungodly
Dwight or DRob - Ungodly

Stabula
08-06-2012, 01:31 AM
In NBA athleticism terms, in their primes:
Ginobili - Average
Parker - Above average
Duncan - Average

Comparables:
JR Smith - Ungodly
Westbrook,Rose - Ungodly
Dwight or DRob - Ungodly

Hmm...I would consider prime Ginobili more athletic than Tony Parker.

AussieFanKurt
08-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Hmm...I would consider prime Ginobili more athletic than Tony Parker.

I guess athletic in different ways but I reckon almost even

therealtruth
08-06-2012, 08:01 AM
I wouldn't say Manu was any more than average athletic. He used his athleticism to great effect often catching opponents of guard. TP is really not that athletic. He's dunked like once in his career and gets blocked often. TD has always been Mr. Fundamental.

Cane
08-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Average to above average-ish. The Big 3's strengths were below the rim. May want to throw in Bowen since he was the most durable cog and worthy of DPOY, Big 4 :hat

Obviously there's a lot more to athleticism than what I'm going to type but here ya go:

Parker - One of the fastest guards ever even to this day, 'one man fast break', but plenty of failed dunk lowlights

Duncan - Great timing and fantastic physical tools like length, but watch Duncan vs Amar'e in past playoffs to see how much more explosive athletic phenoms can be in the NBA. Even a poor shotblocker like Amar'e was 'chomping at the bits' to swat Duncan's statue of liberty jams

Ginobili - Great timing (shotblocking guard :wow), change of direction, and body control, but in the NBA there are beasts like the second round virgin TMac, and Manu can be pushed around by bigger/stronger NBA wings

Leetonidas
08-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Timmy before that knee problem in 2000 was a fucking monster, he was dunking all over everyone. He used to be a hell of an athlete. Ginobili as well. Parker has always been extremely quick and has great agility and body control.

mrjap2x
08-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Timmy before that knee problem in 2000 was a fucking monster, he was dunking all over everyone. He used to be a hell of an athlete. Ginobili as well. Parker has always been extremely quick and has great agility and body control.

If you were to quantify timmeh from pre 2000 to post 2000 in terms of athleTic ability how would you rate it? Is 70%a stretch?

Kidd K
08-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Specifically Tim Duncan, since I wasn't able to watch most of his prime years. Ginobili is average at worst and Tony Parker is athletic enough to dunk. Much better if someone can post their verticals too.

For starters. . .lack of a monkeyball-esque vertical doesn't = lack of athleticism. Tony Parker is extremely fast and agile, Duncan always had great stamina and good speed, and Ginobili was an excellent athlete until he got into his mid 30's. He's still above average due to great agility.

Ginobili, even now in his mid 30's, is still above average. He was extremely athletic 4-10 years ago; breaking ankles and dunking all over people.

Duncan was never what you'd call a super athlete, at least in monkeyball terms, but he's always been in good shape, quick/fast for a big man, and always had great stamina until he hurt his knee and had to play limited minutes.

Most "athletes", aka younger players, usually throw away a lot of their energy doing things they don't need to. Which is why older players tend to win championships. Youth/athleticism is overrated in team sports.