PDA

View Full Version : Movie Fans

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 10:37 PM
What are some cool ideas you would like to see for a movie theater? Have you ever gone to a theater and thought "it would be such a good idea for them to have ....."? What are the things you like the most about going to a theater to watch a movie ? What don't you like?

For example: What about something similar to a corking fee where you could bring your own food and drink but be charged a fee per person?

Just any cool ideas yall have.

Reck
08-05-2012, 10:42 PM
I've always thought Theaters could use better seats.

I dont feel comfortable when the theater is super packed with all those people bunched up ontop of one another.

Maybe make sections, if you have to pay abit more for the seats than do it. I'd pay to have a VIP type experience.

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Cool, so maybe smaller theaters (number of seats) with a little more room in between.

What about a reserved seat(s) system? So instead of having to rush or wait in line, when you purchase your tickets you get to reserve the seat/row you want when you purchase and the seats are numbered and easy to find - kind of like an airline? Or even maybe the Southwest Airlines model where when you purchase a ticket you get a group number so even if you show up last minute (as long as it is before the movie is seated) you get put in to the group (for example: group 1-30, 31-60...)

Reck
08-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Yeah that's another good idea.

It'd be cool to pick your smartphone, buy your ticket through whatever movie app and be assigned to whatever section of the theater. No line or whatever.

It helps speed up the process.

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Ya plus you don't have to get there really early to get a great seat. All you have to do is purchase your ticket early enough to get a good seat.

AussieFanKurt
08-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Good prices

Reck
08-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Good prices

You think 12 or 13 bucks is too much? :lol

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Good prices

So what do you think is fair prices? What about the places that serve full restaurants/bar?

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Also, besides price, what are the features/value things you would like to see?

AussieFanKurt
08-05-2012, 11:09 PM
So what do you think is fair prices? What about the places that serve full restaurants/bar?

Well I'm happy to pay like $10 for a film if I really like it but the local cinema that has $6 tickets is what I usually pick. I have trouble paying big money to see a film that will make a lot of money. I'm a poor student :lol

lefty
08-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Seats with built in toilets

I always pee right before watching a movie to make sure I don't have to step out during a screening, and if I bring a bottle of water or soda, I only take 2 or 3 small sips

And of course air freshener, potpourri, etc

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Well I'm happy to pay like $10 for a film if I really like it but the local cinema that has $6 tickets is what I usually pick. I have trouble paying big money to see a film that will make a lot of money. I'm a poor student :lol

For sure - price is definitely a big deal - especially for something you don't need and is a luxury. Do your theaters not have student discount?

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Seats with built in toilets

I always pee right before watching a movie to make sure I don't have to step out during a screening, and if I bring a bottle of water or soda, I only take 2 or 3 small sips

And of course air freshener, potpourri, etc

:lol Interesting ideas.

AussieFanKurt
08-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Allowed to punch people who talk and answer phones

DPG21920
08-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Well, that isn't legal, so I don't think that would happen.

AussieFanKurt
08-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Well, that isn't legal, so I don't think that would happen.

It's a pity, nothing more annoying that loud people in cinema

silverblk mystix
08-06-2012, 12:16 AM

I dont feel comfortable when the theater is super packed with all those people bunched up ontop of one another.

Maybe make sections, if you have to pay abit more for the seats than do it. I'd pay to have a VIP type experience.

I thought they already had that...

when I left L.A. in 2005 there was a theater that had wide plush leather seats and served food, wine,etc...I'm sure there are others all over by now.

I kind of feel the opposite...I don't go much to the theater anymore because the home systems are getting ridiculously good...my big screen and decent sound system are actually not far from the theater experience. A blu ray movie on a nice screen and sound system aren't bad at all when you consider the fact that you can watch in the comfort of your own home.

Jacob1983
08-06-2012, 12:19 AM
All movie theaters should be required to have stadium seating so you don't have to worry about people with fuckin' big heads. Babies and little pecker kids should not be allowed to view movies that are rated PG-13 or R even if they have a parent. No one wants to hear a baby fuckin cry while they are watching a movie especially if it's an R rated movie. Heavy breathing should be banned too. Breath through your damn nose.

Sodas and food should be available at your seat somehow. There should be a slot for you to enter paper money or a credit card and food and drink can pop up on top of the arm rest or the side of the seat.

The only commercials you should have to watch are trailers for movies. That means you shouldn't have to sit and watch something about shitty TNT shows like the Closer and Rizzoli and Isle or some redneck show on Discovery or History.
I don't want to see a behind the scenes look at a commercial for Storage Wars right before I'm going to see the Amazing Spiderman in 3D.

AussieFanKurt
08-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Oh how could I forget, ads before films can go up to 30 minutes. FUCK OFF

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 12:23 AM
So in the event of an assigned seat, you wouldn't have to worry about that, correct?

Reck
08-06-2012, 12:24 AM
All movie theaters should be required to have stadium seating so you don't have to worry about people with fuckin' big heads. Babies and little pecker kids should not be allowed to view movies that are rated PG-13 or R even if they have a parent. No one wants to hear a baby fuckin cry while they are watching a movie especially if it's an R rated movie. Heavy breathing should be banned too. Breath through your damn nose.

Sodas and food should be available at your seat somehow. There should be a slot for you to enter paper money or a credit card and food and drink can pop up on top of the arm rest or the side of the seat.

The only commercials you should have to watch are trailers for movies. That means you shouldn't have to sit and watch something about shitty TNT shows like the Closer and Rizzoli and Isle or some redneck show on Discovery or History.
I don't want to see a behind the scenes look at a commercial for Storage Wars right before I'm going to see the Amazing Spiderman in 3D.

I haven't been to the movies in quite some time.

Last movie I went to see was Avater. lol

Do they really show tv ads now? That's ridiculous.

Trailers are bad enough to be honest.

Jacob1983
08-06-2012, 12:25 AM
The commercials before the movie trailers are usually shitty but there were some memorable ones. I remember the ones where it was about talking during the movie and it had directors Martin Scorsese and Sydney Pollack directing people that were talking to someone on their phones. Those were funny.

DMC
08-06-2012, 12:30 AM
I haven't been to a local theater in 10 years. I go when I am out of town and there's nothing else to do, but I have a good home theater, don't need to go out. Some say "you have to see this on the big screen". No you don't. It looks better (to me) on my flat panel and can control everything. Sure you have to wait, but that normally only bothers people who watch movies every night and are "caught up".

Jacob1983
08-06-2012, 12:33 AM
I mainly go to the movies as an escape from reality. When you go see a movie in a movie theater, you're focused on the movie and don't give a fuck about your own personal problems and drama.

Reck
08-06-2012, 12:34 AM
I mainly go to the movies as an escape from reality. When you go see a movie in a movie theater, you're focused on the movie and don't give a fuck about your own personal problems and drama.

Until someone comes through the back door and shoots you in the head.

I know done in bad taste but still :lol

Jacob1983
08-06-2012, 12:41 AM
The movie theaters that I go to usually have armed cops who will shoot you if you start shit.

AussieFanKurt
08-06-2012, 12:43 AM
The movie theaters that I go to usually have armed cops who will shoot you if you start shit.

Jeez, where do you go to the movies

Jacob1983
08-06-2012, 12:46 AM
The ghetto Cinemark one in McKinney and the fancier stadium seating Cinemark in Allen.

CuckingFunt
08-06-2012, 01:03 AM

Saw The Dark Knight Rises again when I was visiting family in St. Louis last week and one of the commercials before the movie was for exactly that. There are select theaters in the area (and I'm assuming elsewhere) with a VIP section.

Downside to that was that it had food/beverage service. I understand the appeal of having a waitress during a movie, but it still interferes with the pure movie going experience.

Ultimately, my wishes for movie theaters involve better audiences, so it's unlikely to happen.

DeadlyDynasty
08-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Get rid of Goobers...nobody wants them.

mojorizen7
08-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Bring back the drive in theatre...sort of.
You dont sit in your car....its like an area with chairs and tables and BBQ grills....and maybe even a grassy area. Wi-fi.

Outdoors but smaller than a typical drive in. Almost like an outdoor-plex.
You could have a retractable roof in case of bad weather. A big screen and theatre quality sound.

There would also be the option to rent out movie showings as private parties.

Think of it as a small outdoor concert except its a movie. I'm thinking any one movie showing could include about 100 people.

Smoking,grilling,lounging and watching a movie. :toast

cherylsteele
08-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Maybe headphone jacks at each seat as an option so you can adjust the sound and drown out others.

mingus
08-06-2012, 02:11 AM
A couple ideas.

Massage seats. Cocktail waitresses. And little monitors above the urinals and in front of the toilets that allow me to watch the movie i am watching in the theatre. I take long pisses, which are especially long after having a large icey coke. I have pissed for up to three minutes and I break two minutes regularly.

mingus
08-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Also if someone kicks your seat repeatedly after you have asked them to quit, you should be allowed to press a button that launches them out of the threatre.

The Reckoning
08-06-2012, 02:31 AM
anything the alamo drafthouse does.

the 5 dollar shakes are worth going.

actually, if they had a separate room that you can smoke out before sitting down for the movie, that would make it for me.

AussieFanKurt
08-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Also if someone kicks your seat repeatedly after you have asked them to quit, you should be allowed to press a button that launches them out of the threatre.

:toast

lakerhaterade
08-06-2012, 03:11 AM

I get the sentiment of being annoyed but wtf? :lol

Why don't you just bust out your stun gun and go all warrior on the annoyances?

leemajors
08-06-2012, 08:03 AM
tbh they will never get rid of ads, they would be more likely to charge you a $5 ad free experience on top of the already bloated ticket price.

Cane
08-06-2012, 08:55 AM
God damn I'm bored:

Quality audiences. Appeal to customers that want to be a part of a quality audience (no restless babies/kids, seat kickers, cell phone checkers, etc). Bring back ushers. Hire former bouncers for extra intimidation.

Outdoors theater with drive-in and outdoors festival seating. Offer stuff that's rare or non-existent in the area for movie theaters like hookahs and a place to meet other hip movie going peoples

Video Game tournaments. Don't know if even digital projectors can make this feasible, but playing NBA2k on the silver screen sounds like it would be fun

Theme Nights. Works for Rocky Horror. The guys from Mystery Science Theater 3k host live riffings that are shown in select theaters. Live music shows and even sports also fall under here.

Apparel. Stuff like the refillable Bill Miller's cup so you don't feel like you're being gouged if you're a regular customer. Offer personalized 3D Goggles for those who don't want to use public ones or prefer their own and an automatic discount for 3D movies

Darth_Pelican
08-06-2012, 09:07 AM
http://www.thetheatres.com/

This theater in New Orleans has a few of the things that I've read that you guys want:

-You buy an assigned seat, and a waiter will show you to your seat.
-You will be waited on at your seat, with a full food, snack and alcoholic beverage menu
-The seats are large, leather, and comfortable, and they have a button to push if you need something, and a waiter will come take your order.
-You must be 18 to attend this theater, so if you want to get away from all of the loud kids and tweens, you get a better audience here

http://www.thetheatres.com/_images/theatres/exp-the-feel.jpg

drawbacks of this theater:
- small screens, no IMAX
- limited movie selection

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Saw The Dark Knight Rises again when I was visiting family in St. Louis last week and one of the commercials before the movie was for exactly that. There are select theaters in the area (and I'm assuming elsewhere) with a VIP section.

Downside to that was that it had food/beverage service. I understand the appeal of having a waitress during a movie, but it still interferes with the pure movie going experience.

Ultimately, my wishes for movie theaters involve better audiences, so it's unlikely to happen.

So - you don't like the food/bev service. Would you like a theater that offers a screening of, let's say the top 2 movies out, of non-full service runs? So the main rooms get the waiters, full menu, but there are two theaters where it's concessions only?

Fabbs
08-06-2012, 09:22 AM
I would like to see straight people given parts in acting, producing, scriptwriting, advertizing, distribution, editing and everything else.

Fabbs
08-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Huge reclining chairs two at a time, food service, and buy your prearranged seat.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/big-screen/2011/jul/21/cinepolis-luxury-movie-theater-comes-to-san-diego/

monosylab1k
08-06-2012, 09:26 AM
There's already a few theaters in Dallas where you can reserve a seat in the theater.

Also, I'm out on any kind of food service. I've been to Studio Movie Grill a handful of times and don't really like the waiters walking around getting in your way. Also, places that allow alcohol like The Magnolia are annoying. I already hate hearing people crunch on popcorn or slurp on sodas, so it irritates me even more to hear clinking beer bottles all movie long. Then again I'm one of those movie Nazi's who wants total silence from the crowd (except for cheering/clapping/laughing at appropriate times).

Fabbs
08-06-2012, 09:26 AM
^^ Thats Cinepolis Luxury Movie Theaters in San Diego (and prolly elsewhere).

In LA at one mall there is a grocery store with the movie theater adjacent.
You can bring into the theater whatever food and drink you buy at the store.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Ya - many of these things exist already, but it's more about improving on what's out there (any way to improve the reserve seating system) or new cool ideas.

Most of the theaters I know of that do reservations only have a select number of seats available for reserve (outside of IMAX which is all reserve).

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 09:31 AM
How big is atmosphere to yall? So when you come up seeing a grand theater (not just talking about clean) and how important is that to you?

monosylab1k
08-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Honestly I like most movie theaters, I just wish there were improvements to my Movie Nazi tendencies. tbh I'd love to have more ushers in the theater during the entire movie, simply scanning the audience for assholes on their cell phones. The tough talk messages before the movie aren't intimidating anyone. I want motherfuckers scanning the audience ready to kick people out without mercy. If some asshole wants to text while sitting in their seat, not even trying to leave the theater to do it, you're out. Anybody's phone goes off because they're an asshole who didn't silence it beforehand, you're out. No refunds, no warnings, you're out and that's it.

monosylab1k
08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
How big is atmosphere to yall? So when you come up seeing a grand theater (not just talking about clean) and how important is that to you?

Atmosphere is huge imho. A movie is far more enjoyable when you see it with a great audience. Even shit movies can seem great with a solid audence. I remember seeing a midnight screening of Attack Of The Clones in NYC. The atmosphere was incredible and I left the theater thinking it was one of my favorite movies ever. I saw it again a week later, the audience wasn't nearly as into it, and I realized that movie is complete dogshit.

Cane
08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Depends on the location. If its in a tourist area like Palladium then I can see it helping a lot. If it's something lame like the Fiesta 16 sign then pass

Fabbs
08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Give me exact roll time on days i don't wish to see the endless trailers for up and coming movies.

I agree with Monoslob about the waiters and clinking glasses being a distraction.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 09:50 AM
So it seems like a few people would at least like to have the option to go to a theater and choose a screening where there is no wait staff. That's a good idea and can accom all types of movie patrons.

leemajors
08-06-2012, 09:51 AM
There's already a few theaters in Dallas where you can reserve a seat in the theater.

Also, I'm out on any kind of food service. I've been to Studio Movie Grill a handful of times and don't really like the waiters walking around getting in your way. Also, places that allow alcohol like The Magnolia are annoying. I already hate hearing people crunch on popcorn or slurp on sodas, so it irritates me even more to hear clinking beer bottles all movie long. Then again I'm one of those movie Nazi's who wants total silence from the crowd (except for cheering/clapping/laughing at appropriate times).

The Alamo is testing reserved seating. After working there for 4 years about 8 years ago I never have any desire to go though.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 09:55 AM
So from an idea/environment perspective - how would a drive-in type theater that is grand/classic sound? So maybe the drive-in part is just food (think Sonic type feel with better food where you can pull your car up and order good food at good prices before your movie and kind of soak up a cool environment) and then you walk into the grand theater where it's just concessions (maybe beer and wine too) that you buy in the lobby?

Blake
08-06-2012, 10:06 AM
I'd like two separate arm rests per chair. Battling for arm rest position blows.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Haha, I was thinking that the other day. I think the little things go a long way.

cantthinkofanything
08-06-2012, 10:13 AM
One thing I hate is having to go to the bathroom in the middle of the movie. I think it'd be helpful to have sliding doors under every seat so you could go #1 or #2 without having to get up. Be kind of weird to sit down and pee for us manly men but I think I'd rather do this than miss part of a great movie.

cantthinkofanything
08-06-2012, 10:13 AM
I'd like two separate arm rests per chair. Battling for arm rest position blows.

I once cried about not having two separate arm rests. Then I met a man with no arms.

cantthinkofanything
08-06-2012, 10:14 AM
His name was Bob.

cantthinkofanything
08-06-2012, 10:14 AM
He didn't have legs either.

ALVAREZ6
08-06-2012, 10:36 AM

:tu

should be fucking standard tbh.

Blake
08-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I once cried about not having two separate arm rests. Then I met a man with no arms.

His name was Bob.

He didn't have legs either.

I wouldn't have to cry about arm rests if I sat next to Bob every time.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 10:54 AM
The thing I like about food service in the theaters is that I'd much prefer to have decent food for the same price. I went to a regular theater and bought 2 soft drinks and a popcorn and it was $18. For about that same price, you can get 2 entrees from a full service theater (like a grilled chicken wrap and a pasta dish) and actually have a meal for that price.

CuckingFunt
08-06-2012, 11:13 AM
http://www.thetheatres.com/

This theater in New Orleans has a few of the things that I've read that you guys want:

-You buy an assigned seat, and a waiter will show you to your seat.
-You will be waited on at your seat, with a full food, snack and alcoholic beverage menu
-The seats are large, leather, and comfortable, and they have a button to push if you need something, and a waiter will come take your order.
-You must be 18 to attend this theater, so if you want to get away from all of the loud kids and tweens, you get a better audience here

http://www.thetheatres.com/_images/theatres/exp-the-feel.jpg

drawbacks of this theater:
- small screens, no IMAX
- limited movie selection

Canal Place is nice, but I prefer the Prytania. It doesn't have the amenities of the former, but still attracts a fairly civilized crowd just based on its location and the fact it's not a multiplex. That said, I still end up going to Metairie most of the time for better start time and selection, despite the fact that both Elmwood and Clearview suck ass. Especially Clearview, which I think only gets my business because I can make a movie part of a Target trip or errand running.

So - you don't like the food/bev service. Would you like a theater that offers a screening of, let's say the top 2 movies out, of non-full service runs? So the main rooms get the waiters, full menu, but there are two theaters where it's concessions only?

I guess? Maybe? But I can't see a theater doing that -- if its selling point is a full menu and wait staff, that's what everyone is going to want.

Honestly I like most movie theaters, I just wish there were improvements to my Movie Nazi tendencies. tbh I'd love to have more ushers in the theater during the entire movie, simply scanning the audience for assholes on their cell phones. The tough talk messages before the movie aren't intimidating anyone. I want motherfuckers scanning the audience ready to kick people out without mercy. If some asshole wants to text while sitting in their seat, not even trying to leave the theater to do it, you're out. Anybody's phone goes off because they're an asshole who didn't silence it beforehand, you're out. No refunds, no warnings, you're out and that's it.

I agree with a lot of what mono's saying, here.

Movie theaters seem to be changing their approach in response to the fact people are replacing the idea of going to the movies with having a home theater system. Just watching the movie isn't a big enough draw anymore, and getting ahead means transforming the movie experience into a social activity. And that can be fun at times. Especially when it's a cult movie or a revival.

But I'm one of those for whom watching a movie in a theater has never been a social exercise. I love going with other movie nerd friends, of course, which usually leads to lunch/dinner/drinks/whatever afterwards and lots of conversation about the movie we just watched. Which is very social. But the movie watching itself is all about the movie. Additionally, I also often go to the movies by myself. Either planned, because I'm not willing to wait around for friends to find the time to watch a movie I care about more than they do, or on a whim, because I just so happen to be near a theater with a few hours to kill. For me, the ability to watch a movie on a giant screen with a crappy Icee or some shit like that is a satisfactory use of $20 and a few hours, in and of itself. I don't need or particularly want anything on top of that. And in an ideal world, movie theaters would realize they can't compete with the people who are looking to recreate and/or replace a movie experience that allows them to pause for conversation or a kitchen run and instead market themselves to people like me: people who just want to watch a (well projected) movie in relative comfort and not surrounded by assholes.

But theaters are never going to do that, and audiences are never going to stop being assholes, so for the time being I've just adjusted when I go to the movies. Weekday, first screening, when everything is empty.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 11:21 AM
You could call it the "movie purist" room - no wait staff, ultra strict and have kind of a culture around that (make it fun, joke about it, but really offer that experience that you are mono are talking about).

cantthinkofanything
08-06-2012, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't have to cry about arm rests if I sat next to Bob every time.

:lol

yeah...but it gets old having to feed him his popcorn

CuckingFunt
08-06-2012, 11:54 AM
You could call it the "movie purist" room - no wait staff, ultra strict and have kind of a culture around that (make it fun, joke about it, but really offer that experience that you are mono are talking about).

I guess I don't understand the point of having a separate room for what should, in my opinion, be the standard movie going experience. Especially not if it came with a higher ticket price.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 12:11 PM
No higher prices - but it's not the standard movie going experience. It's about being able to offer something for everyone (because there are people that really like food service during the movie).

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I guess I look at it like the smoking/non-smoking areas in places. Some people like to smoke and don't mind - other's don't want to be around it. If you have a place where you can go and get full service and don't mind that experience, but also have a place where people say "I like going here, because they give me the option to see the film without the distractions I don't like for the same price and everyone attending that show knows the movie rules", I don't see what's so strange I guess.

leemajors
08-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I guess I look at it like the smoking/non-smoking areas in places. Some people like to smoke and don't mind - other's don't want to be around it. If you have a place where you can go and get full service and don't mind that experience, but also have a place where people say "I like going here, because they give me the option to see the film without the distractions I don't like for the same price and everyone attending that show knows the movie rules", I don't see what's so strange I guess.

I have seen people smoking in restaurants once in the last 5 years, and that was in Galveston.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 12:22 PM
The Alamo is testing reserved seating. After working there for 4 years about 8 years ago I never have any desire to go though.

Lee - this is another interesting topic. As someone who worked for a theater, what didn't you like? What did you like?

monosylab1k
08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
No higher prices - but it's not the standard movie going experience. It's about being able to offer something for everyone (because there are people that really like food service during the movie).

I get what you're saying, offer a different type of theater to suit everyone's tastes, whether they're movie purists like CF or myself, or retards who want to bring their loud annoying kids to movies, or a full service type theater for ppl who want to eat good food, etc.

Probably a big factor would be the economics of it. Could a theater like that really make money with a variety of difference moviegoing experiences?

UZER
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
I hate going to movies and the sound if out of sync, the center channel is muffled, or all you can hear is center channel and little to no surround.

If I'm going to pay high movie prices, I expect the audio to sound like its supposed to sound! I hate having to get up in the middle of the movie to let the theater know the sound went off track, or keeps going in and out.

There should be some sort of button on your seat, or in each theater that you can press to alert the theater the sound is jacked instead of having to go track someone down.

But I can already see this being abused by some punk kids.

leemajors
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Lee - this is another interesting topic. As someone who worked for a theater, what didn't you like? What did you like?

People are assholes, but they are bigger assholes when you deliver shit to them in a theater. I liked being able to see movies for free, and I made some great friends working there but I was glad as hell to leave. I made all my raises in the first two years, and was capped at $10.50 unless I wanted to sign a contract to be a salaried manager starting at 30k and work a minimum of 55 hours a week. It pretty much sucked, except I was the lead bartender and got a full comp. The managers made a habit of undercutting their servers on complaint issues and giving customers whatever they wanted if they made a scene. They treat the employees as expendable and the service shows it. For some reason they also grade their pricing based on surrounding fine dining establishments, which they are assuredly not. They do do some really, really cool events but I don't understand how a lot of people can afford to go there regularly. Once they started franchising they brought in upper management from Johnny Carino's, Rudy's etc and just turned it into a soulless franchise. Keep Austin Weird indeed.

leemajors
08-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I get what you're saying, offer a different type of theater to suit everyone's tastes, whether they're movie purists like CF or myself, or retards who want to bring their loud annoying kids to movies, or a full service type theater for ppl who want to eat good food, etc.

Probably a big factor would be the economics of it. Could a theater like that really make money with a variety of difference moviegoing experiences?

I really, really doubt it. They make most of their money on popcorn.

CuckingFunt
08-06-2012, 12:44 PM

I don't think it's strange so much as I think it's unnecessary. It makes sense for theaters to change their policies/practices for people who want more services, but for people like me who want less any problems are solved easily enough by going to early matinees when everything is empty.

In an ideal world, movie theaters (multiplexes, especially) would pay more attention to quality issues than they currently do: having comfortable chairs, having large screens that are clean and in good condition, projecting good prints of actual films with an actual projectionist, sound systems that are actually good rather than just loud, and enough distance/separation between theaters that I'm not hearing the explosions on screen 5 while watching a drama on screen 6, and so on. But other than that, my only problem with the current theater model is the rude audiences who use them. I like the concept of a concession stand as opposed to service, like trailers, am completely indifferent to commercials airing during the time everyone is filing into the theater, am fine with first come first serve seating, and so forth. People are just assholes.

Muser
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Cool, so maybe smaller theaters (number of seats) with a little more room in between.

What about a reserved seat(s) system? So instead of having to rush or wait in line, when you purchase your tickets you get to reserve the seat/row you want when you purchase and the seats are numbered and easy to find - kind of like an airline? Or even maybe the Southwest Airlines model where when you purchase a ticket you get a group number so even if you show up last minute (as long as it is before the movie is seated) you get put in to the group (for example: group 1-30, 31-60...)

We have that here, and it's pretty cool :tu

UZER
08-06-2012, 12:51 PM
What about being able to pay a couple of extra bucks for a nobody under 18 theater room, and no commercials or trailers?

monosylab1k
08-06-2012, 12:53 PM
What about being able to pay a couple of extra bucks for a nobody under 18 theater room, and no commercials or trailers?

you shouldn't have to pay extra money to avoid obnoxious people, those people should just be kicked out of your theater.

UZER
08-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree you shouldn't have to pay extra but people getting kicked out is more energy wasted and disruptive to the movie.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2012, 01:00 PM
What are some cool ideas you would like to see for a movie theater? Have you ever gone to a theater and thought "it would be such a good idea for them to have ....."? What are the things you like the most about going to a theater to watch a movie ? What don't you like?

For example: What about something similar to a corking fee where you could bring your own food and drink but be charged a fee per person?

Just any cool ideas yall have.

There's a movie theater in San Antonio (can't remember the exact location) where instead of the people behind the counter taking forever to get your food, it's set up so you can grab what you need and then just stand in line at the counter. I love that setup.

leemajors
08-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I don't think it's strange so much as I think it's unnecessary. It makes sense for theaters to change their policies/practices for people who want more services, but for people like me who want less any problems are solved easily enough by going to early matinees when everything is empty.

In an ideal world, movie theaters (multiplexes, especially) would pay more attention to quality issues than they currently do: having comfortable chairs, having large screens that are clean and in good condition, projecting good prints of actual films with an actual projectionist, sound systems that are actually good rather than just loud, and enough distance/separation between theaters that I'm not hearing the explosions on screen 5 while watching a drama on screen 6, and so on. But other than that, my only problem with the current theater model is the rude audiences who use them. I like the concept of a concession stand as opposed to service, like trailers, am completely indifferent to commercials airing during the time everyone is filing into the theater, am fine with first come first serve seating, and so forth. People are just assholes.

Would be nice, but they would rather have automated digital movies and not have to pay a real projectionist. One of my good friends was a projectionist at the Alamo for 11 years and they halved his hours one day and started making the managers start everything but the 7:00's. He was only working 30 hours a week in the first place.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Until someone comes through the back door and shoots you in the head.

I know done in bad taste but still :lol

Horrible but well timed

monosylab1k
08-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I agree you shouldn't have to pay extra but people getting kicked out is more energy wasted and disruptive to the movie.

If they're already causing a disruption, a few extra seconds of an usher telling them to GTFO is okay to me.

cantthinkofanything
08-06-2012, 01:05 PM
There's a movie theater in San Antonio (can't remember the exact location) where instead of the people behind the counter taking forever to get your food, it's set up so you can grab what you need and then just stand in line at the counter. I love that setup.

at some of the theaters here during peak hours, they'll bring a cart into the theater with candy and $1 hot dogs.

CuckingFunt
08-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Would be nice, but they would rather have automated digital movies and not have to pay a real projectionist. One of my good friends was a projectionist at the Alamo for 11 years and they halved his hours one day and started making the managers start everything but the 7:00's. He was only working 30 hours a week in the first place.

It's really unfortunate.

Slomo
08-06-2012, 01:12 PM

What about a reserved seat(s) system? So instead of having to rush or wait in line...

Wow, I didn't know this still existed. When I was a kid I hated the first come first serve principle for seat assignment.

If your looking for good ideas, online purchase of tickets with seat reservation is definitely it. Of course an ios/android app to do it from your phone is also a must.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2012, 01:12 PM

I think there's two kinds of moviegoing audiences:

1) The people who want to really see the movie. They enjoy total silence, comfort, don't want people getting up, etc etc

2) The people who go to movies as an escape or something to do. They might want food, they're probably not noise nazis, they're a fan of "unique" experiences (drive-ins).

The question is, do you want a theater that caters to type 1, type 2, or both?

leemajors
08-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Wow, I didn't know this still existed. When I was a kid I hated the first come first serve principle for seat assignment.

If your looking for good ideas, online purchase of tickets with seat reservation is definitely it. Of course an ios/android app to do it from your phone is also a must.

If I served alcohol at a theater I would not do reserved seating in order to serve drinks to lines. Easy money.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Ya, Lngrr, that is what I was getting at. Definitely paying attention to the little things is huge even if not a mind-blowing idea - it would just go a long way.

I have some ideas about a few things but was really wanting to see what everyone else thought.

I definitely feel you can create a cool culture and cater to both types that Lngrr mentioned since I am someone who likes both types.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
If I served alcohol at a theater I would not do reserved seating in order to serve drinks to lines. Easy money.

While true, that is part of what annoys some people I am sure. It's about what you are after. You could argue that you get more repeat business/volume if you cut out the trickery and end up making more money in the long run.

There is a lot I want to learn about the model before I speak on it, but I would really love to do a theater where the movie tickets are a set price (cheaper) all the time. Based on what I know of the model, that wouldn't hurt profits much at all and be very fair to the patrons. Problem is I am not sure if you can get first run movies and charge any price or if you have to charge a minimum per the studios?

My idea would be to have all shows, night or day or weekend be around $6-$7. Since most of that money goes to the studio anyways, that is not a big deal. Then create a great culture that people who love movies can really go to escape, have a great time and feel like it's a wonderful experience.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 01:33 PM

For sure - online reservation is crucial in the reserve seat model and it is very easy to just pick out your seats in the process.

Lincoln
08-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Jacob, Movies 14 sucks ass and is only like 4$ per ticket for a reason bro :lol. If you wanna see teenagers or Mexicans go to movies 14.

Pay the extra 5 bucks and just go to the Allen one off 121. Never have to deal with bullshit there although it is a rip off

Trill Clinton
08-06-2012, 01:36 PM
seats that vibrated during action flicks.

recline chairs.

the vip section and a fee to bring in your own food is a good idea.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 01:39 PM
seats that vibrated during action flicks.

recline chairs.

the vip section and a fee to bring in your own food is a good idea.

Ya - I always thought that a "corking fee" type deal for movies would be a good idea. If you charge $5-10 per person to bring their own food, cuts down your cost and makes people happy. Issue is that the margin's on food/concessions is how movie theater's thrive so would have to work out that the fee is enough to keep you making a reasonable profit. Might be tough to implement, but I am sure there is a creative way to do that.

Also, Trill, check out D-BOX. It's seats that move and they are pretty cool:
http://www.santikos.com/dbox.php

Lincoln
08-06-2012, 01:41 PM
U ever go to those theatres that are like 30$ for tickets but you get a full vibration reclining chair with a meal and drink included? Those are badass

Trill Clinton
08-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Ya - I always thought that a "corking fee" type deal for movies would be a good idea. If you charge $5-10 per person to bring their own food, cuts down your cost and makes people happy. Issue is that the margin's on food/concessions is how movie theater's thrive so would have to work out that the fee is enough to keep you making a reasonable profit. Might be tough to implement, but I am sure there is a creative way to do that.

Also, Trill, check out D-BOX. It's seats that move and they are pretty cool:
http://www.santikos.com/dbox.php

oh shit the Palladium has them:wow but it looks like they're in the front section. I might have to check it out.

I rarely buy anything other than nachos because I hate spending a lot of money on overpriced snacks. the food at alamo draft house is absolutely disgusting. if they had a contract with a fast food chain in the theaters that would be dope too.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I think Alamo has some ok food (not all of it, but some dishes are ok). I like the fact places serve food because as I said before, I'd rather pay $20 for two entrees vs $20 for 2 sodas and a popcorn. That is the stuff I find ridiculous and I am sure others do. But its the movie model and how they have to make money. Outside of the culture part of it, my idea would also be something where the concessions are more reasonable, but where I also have real food. That way for those that don't want to eat a real meal, they have the awesome feel that getting popcorn and a soda gives you, but don't feel completely ripped off. I would def try and find other ways to make up the revenues (extra events, parties, merchandise...).

I would also have a bulk ticket purchase available (with lower limits than usual - maybe packs of 20 vs 50) where it's an add $1 less if you buy in that bulk.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Ya, Lngrr, that is what I was getting at. Definitely paying attention to the little things is huge even if not a mind-blowing idea - it would just go a long way.

I have some ideas about a few things but was really wanting to see what everyone else thought.

I definitely feel you can create a cool culture and cater to both types that Lngrr mentioned since I am someone who likes both types.

I think it'd be hard to do both, since they're two mindsets. I hate noise nazis, personally... my favorite movie theaters are the "black" theaters (yes, it's racist, deal with it) where people are laughing and shouting things to the screen. Now that I've got kids it doesn't really matter since I only see kids movies with them (and locally they've got "kids night" once per month where other moviegoers are warned by signs that it's that night for PG-13 and under movies).

I'd focus on one or the other; whichever you think could bring in more money. Probably the latter, since people who aren't noise nazis usually A) have family and B) buy food. I can't imagine a business model that supports movie purists bringing in as much cash.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2012, 02:17 PM
I would also have a bulk ticket purchase available (with lower limits than usual - maybe packs of 20 vs 50) where it's an add $1 less if you buy in that bulk.

If you want an easy way to try to encourage repeat viewings at that theater, you could either do a punch card (which I can't stand, since I always lose them) for snacks, or just print a "redeem this for a dollar off" coupon on the back of each ticket.

Another idea (that probably isn't feasible but whatever) would be to have "get in free/discount" theme nights. For instance, maybe if you dress up a superhero on the Opening weekend of Batman, you get half off. Sure most people won't do it, but you might encourage participation by those not dressing up because, let's face it, everyone enjoys watching other doofuses in costume.

Darth_Pelican
08-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Canal Place is nice, but I prefer the Prytania. It doesn't have the amenities of the former, but still attracts a fairly civilized crowd just based on its location and the fact it's not a multiplex. That said, I still end up going to Metairie most of the time for better start time and selection, despite the fact that both Elmwood and Clearview suck ass. Especially Clearview, which I think only gets my business because I can make a movie part of a Target trip or errand running.

The IMAX at the Elmwood Palace is the best screen and sound around. It's always my first choice. Clearview does suck. Prytania has that more artsy feel to it, but there's usually no movie selection. It's unfortunate because I live about 5 minutes from it.

CuckingFunt
08-06-2012, 02:53 PM
The IMAX at the Elmwood Palace is the best screen and sound around. It's always my first choice. Clearview does suck. Prytania has that more artsy feel to it, but there's usually no movie selection. It's unfortunate because I live about 5 minutes from it.

I love Prytania for its classic and cult movies, but that's really the only time I go. And it is unfortunate, since it's also really close to where I live.

Darth_Pelican
08-06-2012, 03:14 PM
I love Prytania for its classic and cult movies, but that's really the only time I go. And it is unfortunate, since it's also really close to where I live.

I thought you had recently wrote that you no longer lived in NOLA when we were talking about bars a few months ago.... I must have misread that.

CuckingFunt
08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
I thought you had recently wrote that you no longer lived in NOLA when we were talking about bars a few months ago.... I must have misread that.

May have been something I wrote when I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to stay.

cantthinkofanything
08-06-2012, 03:18 PM
also, it seems like the drinks and candy are wayyyy more expensive that I can find at the store. Maybe lower them some.

Darth_Pelican
08-06-2012, 03:22 PM
May have been something I wrote when I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to stay.

Right, that must have been what I was thinking of.

SA210
08-06-2012, 03:24 PM
I think Alamo has some ok food (not all of it, but some dishes are ok). I like the fact places serve food because as I said before, I'd rather pay $20 for two entrees vs $20 for 2 sodas and a popcorn. That is the stuff I find ridiculous and I am sure others do. But its the movie model and how they have to make money. Outside of the culture part of it, my idea would also be something where the concessions are more reasonable, but where I also have real food. That way for those that don't want to eat a real meal, they have the awesome feel that getting popcorn and a soda gives you, but don't feel completely ripped off. I would def try and find other ways to make up the revenues (extra events, parties, merchandise...).

What city are you thinking of doing this in?

I love massive huge theater screens and rooms, similar to the front theaters they had at AMC 24 Huebner Oaks. I hate going into a huge theater room but the screen doesn't match the size of the room. I just look at the screen and wonder why they didn't use the extra space for the screen.

I hate when the color, brightness, etc is all screwed up on the film. It's like they just don't care. When my films play in theaters I might just lose a gasket visiting theaters and watching how badly some places have this problem. I hate when sound is too low or popping. Yes I love loud, but quality of sound too, as Funt was saying.

I know they make money on concessions, but they need to work better deals. I HATE Santikos. You're like, "Will it be cheaper to get a combo meal?", and they're like, "No, it's all the same price" I have no problem spending some money, but I don't like feeling ROBBED.

And if they are going to charge outrageous prices for popcorn, then don't get upset when I want it fresh instead of that pre-packaged shit you have sitting there in bags.

CUSTOMER SERVICE sucks!!! Take care of the employees so that they will want to take care of the customer. If I say I want the popcorn layered don't roll your eyes at me, if I say I want my 7 dollar popcorn fresh, just frickin do it.

Talking about pre-packaged, I HATE pre-packaged nachos and mini cheese ready to go container. I know it makes it easier for the staff, labor etc, but I love the freshness in food better.

Don't charge for refills, or if you do, only a dollar. Cinemark charges 3 dollars for their soda refills. Other places are free.

I myself thought about opening a theater or two for many many years, since I was a child actually. I've seen some theaters try to do some things I've wanted to do but they just didn't get it as I imagined I would.

It's a rule of mine, I hate showing up to a theater late. I will not enjoy the film if I have to sit in the front row. Those seats are too damn close to the screen. I'd love to sit in the middle of the theater for the best seat, but because people are assholes, I avoid the idiots and just get there early and sit in the very top back row. I feel more at peace there, no moron kicking my seat behind me. Less inconsiderate people to deal with.

I HATE when I get to a theater early to pick my own seat, then some idiots get to the theater very late and management comes in trying to make everyone move so they can seat that late moron! I came early so I can pick my own seat dammit. I guess that's where assigned seating would help, but it's either first come first served or it's not. Show up early dammit.

I have some really really great ideas for a movie theater for the real movie lover/goer that I've had for some time now. I'd love to share but maybe just one day I'll do them lol.

But the experience is everything. Employees that care to be there, employees with real knowledge of movies.

If there was one thing I hated when walking into a Blockbuster Video store was an employee who had no clue about the new releases or past films.

When asking someone about a film at the box office, whether they know how a film is doing at their particular theater, or was it good or not from what they have heard or seen, and then the automatic response of theirs is to ignore my question and simply hand me their brochure with movie descriptions is a very bad sign to me.

If I ever own a movie theater you better believe my partners won't be pulling that crap. If they are handing you that brochure, they will be talking about it with actual knowledge as well, with a smile on their faces and a care in the world.

Goodluck!

NqPcdVmz5BQ

Slomo
08-06-2012, 03:25 PM

I don't understand this.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't understand this.

What happens when there is no reserved seating, people show up 45 minutes before to get in a line so they are first into the theater when they allow people to be seated. He means that if you do reserved seats, people won't show up and stand around as much and you would lose the opportunity to sell them beer/wine while they wait.

That's what happens at a lot of American theaters. You show up early and grab drinks with friends, especially if you know you will be there early because there are no assigned seats.

I myself wouldn't look at it like that. I would cut the crap out where it makes sense to make the experience the best I could.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 04:33 PM
@ SA210 - not sure, either SA or Austin, but this is really just something I have been thinking about - no set plans. I have some cool ideas as well (some of the ones mentioned here are good and I think the keys are two things - make it a culture where everyone loves to do their job and has fun & 2) focus on the little touches (quality, prices, environment, two arm rests...).

Reck
08-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Good to see my ideas have some merit to it and is actually being put to use.

Too bad they dont have any like that here.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
One idea I had was something similar to that diner from Pulp Fiction:

m02q_Bt9LeI

The struggle with the idea would be the quality of the movie screen, costs of getting started...But the idea would be almost like a fake drive in where the cars are inside of a cool building. All the staff dressed up like different movie characters and the cars (which look like the ones in the clip face the screens). This would be smaller theaters by volume (with the car seats it's a price per car or something) and they would seat up to 6 people. In the old fashioned cars (which you get to reserve which one you like) have seats like a long back seat with the front of the car looking like a normal car. Then you have a touch screen where you can see the full menu on the dash and punch in your order and someone brings it too you. That way you don't have anyone even in your way to take the orders, just runners.

Just kind of the basics of the idea, but haven't flushed it out yet.

But a more "traditional" theater that is just really awesome would be an option too.

SA210
08-06-2012, 04:46 PM
@ SA210 - not sure, either SA or Austin, but this is really just something I have been thinking about - no set plans. I have some cool ideas as well (some of the ones mentioned here are good and I think the keys are two things - make it a culture where everyone loves to do their job and has fun & 2) focus on the little touches (quality, prices, environment, two arm rests...).

If you ever did do it, I'll be there in support. Your ideas of cheaper prices and better experience shows that you care. So I'll be there. Austin is my home away from home, so I'll stop by there too if that's where you do it.

:tu

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 05:03 PM
It will be interesting how much wiggle room there is as I do more research - mainly with regards to what you can charge for first run movies.

leemajors
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
It will be interesting how much wiggle room there is as I do more research - mainly with regards to what you can charge for first run movies.

Whatever you charge you're giving at least 25% to the studios. Add labor cost to that and you're basically already operating at a loss.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Whatever you charge you're giving at least 25% to the studios. Add labor cost to that and you're basically already operating at a loss.

It's way more than that from my understanding. More like they get 75%+ (meaning the studios) for the first two weeks of ticket sales and the theater gets only 25% OR LESS.

That is why I was saying I need to figure out what wiggle room there is. If my revenue is not going to come from tickets, but to the stuido's, I would much rather pass the savings to customers there for sure.

leemajors
08-06-2012, 05:20 PM
It's way more than that from my understanding. More like they get 75%+ (meaning the studios) for the first two weeks of ticket sales and the theater gets only 25% OR LESS.

That is why I was saying I need to figure out what wiggle room there is. If my revenue is not going to come from tickets, but to the stuido's, I would much rather pass the savings to customers there for sure.

Sorry, I typed it backwards. Digital projectors are the norm now too, and are not cheap. Much cheaper for the studios to use hard drives than ship canisters.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2012, 07:52 PM

Deep, I think that if every business could accomplish those two things then every business would be successful. :) I'm guessing it's harder than it looks.

If I get a good job coming out of the military, and I feel comfortable enough financially to open a business, I'm going to make sure it's something I'm geeked about and won't mind working there. (Which in my case would be a comic book store... with a coffee bar maybe.)

That's the thing about movie theaters... they might as well be faceless. The only interaction necessary is someone to check stubs, and someone to sell food, and any "interaction" there is very limited.

If you want to focus on having quality customer service, I'd make sure the service is worth having. If you're serving food and drinks, that's an obvious area for customer service. Maybe there's a little side store that sells movies and movie-related paraphernalia. (If you liked [insert current movie playing here], you should check out this movie!)

If you're catering to movie snobs, then maybe you could have headphone jacks in the seats and offer to sell headphones before the movie (like airlines). Make sure to hire people familiar with various aspects of cinematography who can ensure your movies are being played at a high quality. Play art-house and indy type movies (because let's face it, theater snobs tend to watch movies the normal consumer won't).

I just think it would be tough to cater to both types of consumers, as choosing one or the other tends to create a decision tree for other areas.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2012, 07:55 PM
One idea I had was something similar to that diner from Pulp Fiction:

m02q_Bt9LeI

The struggle with the idea would be the quality of the movie screen, costs of getting started...But the idea would be almost like a fake drive in where the cars are inside of a cool building. All the staff dressed up like different movie characters and the cars (which look like the ones in the clip face the screens). This would be smaller theaters by volume (with the car seats it's a price per car or something) and they would seat up to 6 people. In the old fashioned cars (which you get to reserve which one you like) have seats like a long back seat with the front of the car looking like a normal car. Then you have a touch screen where you can see the full menu on the dash and punch in your order and someone brings it too you. That way you don't have anyone even in your way to take the orders, just runners.

Just kind of the basics of the idea, but haven't flushed it out yet.

But a more "traditional" theater that is just really awesome would be an option too.

You should check out the 1950's-ish diner they have at DisneyWorld in Florida. The tables are set up like 1950's cars, and they play a loop of black and white ads/vignettes. (I thought they played shorts and movies... kinda bummed out they didn't.)

And re: waiters dressed up as characters, have you ever ate at the Magic Time Machine in San Antonio? That's a wacky themed restaurant that's fun.

LnGrrrR
08-06-2012, 07:58 PM

If you go the "quirky" route, customers will give you leeway if you only show cheaper films and/or classics, as you're already going for a different experience than the normal movie-going experience.

MannyIsGod
08-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Cool thread DPG

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Deep, I think that if every business could accomplish those two things then every business would be successful. :) I'm guessing it's harder than it looks.

If I get a good job coming out of the military, and I feel comfortable enough financially to open a business, I'm going to make sure it's something I'm geeked about and won't mind working there. (Which in my case would be a comic book store... with a coffee bar maybe.)

That's the thing about movie theaters... they might as well be faceless. The only interaction necessary is someone to check stubs, and someone to sell food, and any "interaction" there is very limited.

If you want to focus on having quality customer service, I'd make sure the service is worth having. If you're serving food and drinks, that's an obvious area for customer service. Maybe there's a little side store that sells movies and movie-related paraphernalia. (If you liked [insert current movie playing here], you should check out this movie!)

If you're catering to movie snobs, then maybe you could have headphone jacks in the seats and offer to sell headphones before the movie (like airlines). Make sure to hire people familiar with various aspects of cinematography who can ensure your movies are being played at a high quality. Play art-house and indy type movies (because let's face it, theater snobs tend to watch movies the normal consumer won't).

I just think it would be tough to cater to both types of consumers, as choosing one or the other tends to create a decision tree for other areas.

Definitely agree, but one thing I have learned is that not everyone thinks like this. Often times it's doing the simple things, or hiring the right people that make the difference yet in many, many companies (big, small and in between) culture is not placed on the forefront. It's something you cannot really fake usually - either you love what you do and are a good business man or you are not. That is not to say you cannot be successful without culture or by missing on the little things, it just means by focusing on that and executing gives you a good shot.

I would agree to on not trying to be everything to everyone - but on a few things I don't think of it like that but more like have vegetarian options on your restaurant menu. It's not that you are catering to them, but you have options.

I really do believe that every interaction is a chance to make a positive impact. Even if it's minor you can still create a culture that is extraodinary. Then you have to be savvy and fair in the way you run your business.

DPG21920
08-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Cool thread DPG

Thanks - any ideas from you, I know you enjoy going to the movies.

Jeff Van Gundy
08-07-2012, 02:12 AM
For me, I would like to have a stand for my legs or more leg room. I want to feel as comfortable as possible and I usually want to stretch out my legs while I'm watching. I'm guilty of putting my feet on other peoples chair if no ones sitting in front of me.

AussieFanKurt
08-07-2012, 02:28 AM
For me, I would like to have a stand for my legs or more leg room. I want to feel as comfortable as possible and I usually want to stretch out my legs while I'm watching. I'm guilty of putting my feet on other peoples chair if no ones sitting in front of me.

Agreed, I'm not tall but I sometimes have problems with not enough leg room. Can't imagine how tall people cope

Capt Bringdown
08-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Here in Thailand the upscale Cinemas offer different classes of movie seats, with various types of seating, including recliners & love seats. Beer is served at the concession stand along with the Pepsi and Popcorn. All seating is reserved/assigned, when you buy your ticket you get to pick where you want to sit.

There are also separate boutique small Cinemas, that have a lounge-like waiting area. Alcohol served of course. Seating (at least in the one time I went to one of these places) was a remote-controlled recliner that could recline all the way to horizontal, like a bed. Seat came with a blanket and pillow. You could order drinks and food from your seat, and they would be delivered by a waitress.

The problem is, it's a downloading free for all & 30 baht (1 dollar-ish) DVD's are everywhere. I can't be bothered to go to the Cinema.

DPG21920
08-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Note to self - don't expand into Thailand :lol

Slomo
08-07-2012, 10:03 AM
What happens when there is no reserved seating, people show up 45 minutes before to get in a line so they are first into the theater when they allow people to be seated. He means that if you do reserved seats, people won't show up and stand around as much and you would lose the opportunity to sell them beer/wine while they wait.

That's what happens at a lot of American theaters. You show up early and grab drinks with friends, especially if you know you will be there early because there are no assigned seats.

I myself wouldn't look at it like that. I would cut the crap out where it makes sense to make the experience the best I could.

Thanks for clarifying it.

I can't say for a fact, but seeing the cues at the concession stands before the theaters over here, I am sure they are making a nice profit even with the assigned seating.
The truth is that it's just convenient and that you attract people from farther away. Let's say that you would offer special thematic screening that would cater to a specific group of spectators, you would see people from farther away, just because they would be assured to have a seat and know the trip won't be for naught.

MannyIsGod
08-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks - any ideas from you, I know you enjoy going to the movies.

I just like the reservation idea. I hate having to get there super early for a midnight opening just so stand in line.

monosylab1k
08-07-2012, 11:34 AM
DPG here's another idea - a restroom attached to each theater, with small screens in front of the urinals/stalls playing your movie. That way you don't miss much of the movie even if you have to take a piss.

monosylab1k
08-07-2012, 12:19 PM
also if you plan on having a more traditional movie theater experience without much food service, maybe look into having a full bar/restaurant right there on site for people to go before or after their movie is over.

leemajors
08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
also if you plan on having a more traditional movie theater experience without much food service, maybe look into having a full bar/restaurant right there on site for people to go before or after their movie is over.

Yeah the Alamo is starting to open ridiculously overpriced bars next to their theaters. They have them at 4 of the 5 Austin locations.

DPG21920
08-07-2012, 02:18 PM
DPG here's another idea - a restroom attached to each theater, with small screens in front of the urinals/stalls playing your movie. That way you don't miss much of the movie even if you have to take a piss.

I think that is a really cool idea. If you could put it in a spot where the noise/light wouldn't be bothersome, that would be a sick feature :tu

DPG21920
08-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Yeah the Alamo is starting to open ridiculously overpriced bars next to their theaters. They have them at 4 of the 5 Austin locations.

400 rabbits

Capt Bringdown
08-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Note to self - don't expand into Thailand :lol

Interesting to note that despite rampant piracy, the Cinema sector seems to be doing quite well here. Lots of expansion.

MannyIsGod
08-07-2012, 11:22 PM

Holy shit thats amazing

MannyIsGod
08-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Honestly though, I have a modest home theater and I don't mind watching a lot of movies at home now. Once I buy a house, you bet your ass I'm putting in a kick ass home theater and aside from the wait (which is really short now anyway) I won't miss the theater much.

CuckingFunt
08-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I have never once needed to pee in the middle of a movie. Never once.

Maybe I just have a magical bladder, or something.

DPG21920
08-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Really :lol? That is crazy. It doesn't happen every movie, but with as much as I go to the movies it happens from time to time.

baseline bum
08-07-2012, 11:46 PM
I'd like less first run and more classic movies. I'd love to go see Scarface on the bigscreen, for example, or to go see Pulp Fiction again.

CuckingFunt
08-07-2012, 11:50 PM
I'd like less first run and more classic movies. I'd love to go see Scarface on the bigscreen, for example, or to go see Pulp Fiction again.

The Prytania here in New Orleans had a few special screenings of a new film print of Pulp Fiction earlier this summer. I've watched it at home so many times that I'd completely forgotten how fucking gorgeous it is on a big screen.

baseline bum
08-07-2012, 11:54 PM
The Prytania here in New Orleans had a few special screenings of a new film print of Pulp Fiction earlier this summer. I've watched it at home so many times that I'd completely forgotten how fucking gorgeous it is on a big screen.

I'd love to see the Grindhouse double feature on the bigscreen again too; that was a really awesome experience seeing that opening night, but neither film was all that impressive on DVD.

ploto
08-07-2012, 11:55 PM
I see maybe 2 movies a year at the theatre. I simply find the entire experience to be annoying. There should be actual ushers in the theatre. If there is a problem, no one wants to get up, leave the movie, and miss part of it.

I like the reserved seating. On the rare occasion that I do see a movie, I try to do it at the Imax Palladium. I am thrilled not to have to get there ridiculously early for seats.

I definitely do not want waiters walking around, getting in the way, making noise.

DPG21920
08-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Ya - Alamo Drafthouse does that well (I went to watch a late night Spaceballs showing 2 weeks ago). Sucks that they charge full price though.

CuckingFunt
08-08-2012, 12:03 AM
I'd love to see the Grindhouse double feature on the bigscreen again too; that was a really awesome experience seeing that opening night, but neither film was all that impressive on DVD.

It's not on the big screen, but just in case you didn't know about it: http://www.amazon.com/Grindhouse-Two-Disc-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B003VMFWYI

It took forever for them to release the double feature as a double feature and they didn't advertise it much when it was finally released. I actually do like the two halves separately, and especially think Death Proof gets miles better when expanded, but I love the double feature as originally presented.

redzero
08-08-2012, 12:03 AM

I've been there a few times. I saw three Steven Soderbergh movies (Che 1+2 and And Everything is Going Fine), Encounters at The Ends of the World, and some documentary that I can't remember.

So, I got to be in the same room as Soderbergh and Herzog.

MannyIsGod
08-08-2012, 12:05 AM
I have never once needed to pee in the middle of a movie. Never once.

Maybe I just have a magical bladder, or something.

I nearly busted a kidney because I didn't want to get up during - of all movies - Con Air.

:lmao

Also I had to pee at the end of Return of The King but if I had that to do over again I'm out the fucking door once the Eagles come out.

CuckingFunt
08-08-2012, 12:09 AM
I see maybe 2 movies a year at the theatre. I simply find the entire experience to be annoying. There should be actual ushers in the theatre. If there is a problem, no one wants to get up, leave the movie, and miss part of it.

Ushers seem unnecessary to me, but this is one of the reasons I wish movie theaters weren't jettisoning human projectionists. Not only is the projection quality usually better, but the person in the booth can keep an eye on both the tech and the audience.

CuckingFunt
08-08-2012, 12:14 AM
I've been there a few times. I saw three Steven Soderbergh movies (Che 1+2 and And Everything is Going Fine), Encounters at The Ends of the World, and some documentary that I can't remember.

So, I got to be in the same room as Soderbergh and Herzog.

They get a lot of guests, there.

There are unfortunately a lot of convenience/practicality issues that keep me from going there as often as I go to the multiplexes, but it actually comes pretty close to ticking all my boxes for a movie theater.