PDA

View Full Version : Luther

cantthinkofanything
08-08-2012, 02:43 PM
trying to watch this show on a recommendation...

It's a BBC show with a troubled cop played by Stringer Bell. The only things I'd seen him in before were The Wire and The Office (and a small part in Thor). But anyway, it's distracting hearing him with his British accent. I've only watched the first episode.

Is this thing any good?

leemajors
08-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Very good IMO.

CuckingFunt
08-08-2012, 02:48 PM
trying to watch this show on a recommendation...

It's a BBC show with a troubled cop played by Stringer Bell. The only things I'd seen him in before were The Wire and The Office (and a small part in Thor). But anyway, it's distracting hearing him with his British accent. I've only watched the first episode.

Is this thing any good?

I enjoyed it, but it's not perfect. Elba's acting is really good throughout the series, which was enough to keep me interested, but the writing is a bit iffy at times.

I imagine it would take a while to get used to his normal accent, since his American accent is so good. First thing I ever saw him in was RocknRolla, though, so I had the opposite reaction. It was Stringer Bell that sounded odd to me at first.

cantthinkofanything
08-08-2012, 02:58 PM
I enjoyed it, but it's not perfect. Elba's acting is really good throughout the series, which was enough to keep me interested, but the writing is a bit iffy at times.

I imagine it would take a while to get used to his normal accent, since his American accent is so good. First thing I ever saw him in was RocknRolla, though, so I had the opposite reaction. It was Stringer Bell that sounded odd to me at first.

I'll probably give it a few more episodes. Nothing else really to catch up on. Although the same person also recommended The Killing which I may switch over to if Luther doesn't hold my attention.

leemajors
07-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Season 3 is great so far through 2

CuckingFunt
07-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Season 3 is great so far through 2

Good to know. I've downloaded the episodes, but won't have a chance to watch them for a while.

Creepn
07-16-2013, 09:27 PM

What do you think about the guy who played Marlo? I think the guy played a good Marlo Stansfield but just can't picture him as anything else.

resistanze
07-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Didn't know series 3 started up. Thanks.

CuckingFunt
07-16-2013, 09:37 PM
What do you think about the guy who played Marlo? I think the guy played a good Marlo Stansfield but just can't picture him as anything else.

He's a good actor. I've seen him in a few other things, but usually in tiny roles. He'll always be Marlo, though. That's how everyone from The Wire is for me. For instance, Sunday night on True Blood I watched Frank Sobotka deal with his fairy daughters. I met Wendell Pierce once in a bar and it took all of my strength not to call him Bunk to his face.

SpursforSix
06-05-2019, 04:16 PM
Wow...6 years later.

Season 5 starting now. Great show.

SpursforSix
07-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Man...I just watched 5.1 last night and the writing sucks. If this is how the season is going to go, it's past time to pull the plug.