PDA

View Full Version : The Bourne Legacy

Darth_Pelican
08-09-2012, 06:27 PM
I recently re-watched the very enjoyable Bourne Trilogy in anticipation of the new Bourne movie. It starts this weekend but I'm not going to see it till next week.

It's getting mixed reviews... I hope it doesn't suck.

There are plenty of movie buffs here in the club so I'd like to hear your thoughts about it.

Lincoln
08-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Apparently Bourne isn't even in it from what I've heard...

Reck
08-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Apparently Bourne isn't even in it from what I've heard...

They're all Bournes.

This movie is probably passable but I dont think its worth watching on Theater.

I stop watching a series of movies after the third one. The rest are just for milking purpose.

AFBlue
08-09-2012, 07:00 PM
First was best, second one made me sick (literally), and third was good. I probably won't catch this one in theater, but it's worth a rental.

DMC
08-09-2012, 07:19 PM
It's like having a Matrix 4, where Keanu Reeves isn't in it, but some B movie guy plays the next version on Neo, and Ving Rhames plays Morpheus.

Trainwreck2100
08-09-2012, 07:28 PM
There better be a Damon cameo, that's pretty much all you'd need to make this movie look legitimate. Look at the F&F3 it had none of the original stars, but a vin diesel cameo revitalized the franchise

redzero
08-09-2012, 07:29 PM
I still want to see it, but every trailer was basically pleading for people to watch this movie even without Bourne.

leemajors
08-09-2012, 08:08 PM
First was best, second one made me sick (literally), and third was good. I probably won't catch this one in theater, but it's worth a rental.

The shaky cam fight in the third was a mess

Avante
08-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Without Damon in the starring role it's like The Wizard of Oz with no Dorothy.

monosylab1k
08-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Avante what blues mixtape would you recommend listening to during a post Bourne Legacy discussion over coffee?

Woo Bum-kon
08-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Without Damon in the starring role it's like The Wizard of Oz with no Dorothy.

Why don't you make a thread about it?

Avante
08-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Avante what blues mixtape would you recommend listening to during a post Bourne Legacy discussion over coffee?

Real easy...

Ray Lamontagne.

Avante
08-09-2012, 08:24 PM

Avante
08-09-2012, 08:26 PM

Now I 'm going to see this board out of your eyes.

CuckingFunt
08-09-2012, 08:40 PM
The shaky cam fight in the third was a mess

The shaky-cam in both of the sequels nearly ruined them for me. The first remains my favorite of the series primarily because of Doug Liman's direction.

DesignatedT
08-09-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm not exactly sure of the direction they are taking the bourne's but apparently it's possible for Damon to return in future films.

It's not that Jeremy Renner is now Jason Bourne. People might be getting confused about this. Renner is his own character.

ALVAREZ6
08-09-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't mind Renner, so it might not be a bad movie. I'll watch to hear if any of you see this. Of course they're milking for $ but it could still be a good movie.

Jacob1983
08-10-2012, 05:00 AM
Saw it tonight. It wasn't bad. Some critics are bashing the shit out of it and bitching about no Matt Damon but it was made clear from the beginning that he wouldn't be in this one. This movie focuses on a new character and a new storyline. The movie is also technically an interquel since the beginning of the movie takes place in the same timeline as the middle and the end of The Bourne Ultimatum. It starts out a little show but picks up. The chase scene is badass. It's not as good as The Bourne Ultimatum but still entertaining.

Darth_Pelican
08-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Saw it tonight. It wasn't bad. Some critics are bashing the shit out of it and bitching about no Matt Damon but it was made clear from the beginning that he wouldn't be in this one. This movie focuses on a new character and a new storyline. The movie is also technically an interquel since the beginning of the movie takes place in the same timeline as the middle and the end of The Bourne Ultimatum. It starts out a little show but picks up. The chase scene is badass. It's not as good as The Bourne Ultimatum but still entertaining.

That sounds interesting. I like that format. I liked it in the Bourne Ultimatum when Bourne's phone call to Agent Landry that ended Bourne Supremacy was actually in the middle of Ultimatum.

leemajors
08-10-2012, 09:35 AM
extraneous info - he is middle aged in the Bourne Ultimatum book, and some of it is about how his body can' quite do some of the things it used to.

Saved By Zero
08-10-2012, 01:37 PM
The shaky-cam in both of the sequels nearly ruined them for me. The first remains my favorite of the series primarily because of Doug Liman's direction.

WTF!? Those fight scenes were awesome. You ruin movies by taking them way to seriously and I don't give a crap who directed it.

Jacob1983
08-11-2012, 12:21 AM
If you're expecting a deep thought provoking Oscar winning film, then you should just walk away right now. I liked in The Bourne Legacy how you didn't see too much from the present ie smart phones, Ipads, other stuff like that. The Bourne Ultimatum came out in 2007 and The Bourne Legacy is technically an interquel so it would have to take place in 2007.

DMC
08-11-2012, 12:34 AM
I agree with this. it was on par with that battle scene from GI Jane. The shaky camera was to hide the flaws in the fight sequence. I hate camera movement that attempts to portray action.

stretch
08-11-2012, 12:40 PM

I liked the content of the second and third, but I agree that the shaky cam was irritating as hell. It really messed a lot of the action sequences up, and made it hard to follow along and concentrate.

redzero
08-11-2012, 03:37 PM
As someone who likes Ultimatum the most, I wouldn't say that the shaky cam detracted too much from the experience. I think it worked well in the fight and chase scenes. However, I think the use of shaky cam during scenes where no action was happening was distracting. Why is the camera moving focused on the back of somebody's shoulder, blocking the mouth of the other person they are talking to? Why is the camera flipping out when somebody is checking a computer? That was unnecessary, but not enough for me to dislike the movie.

leemajors
08-11-2012, 04:20 PM
As someone who likes Ultimatum the most, I wouldn't say that the shaky cam detracted too much from the experience. I think it worked well in the fight and chase scenes. However, I think the use of shaky cam during scenes where no action was happening was distracting. Why is the camera moving focused on the back of somebody's shoulder, blocking the mouth of the other person they are talking to? Why is the camera flipping out when somebody is checking a computer? That was unnecessary, but not enough for me to dislike the movie.

I just rewatched this after reading:

uLt7lXDCHQ0

You're right, it's not the shaky cam that bothered me, it was the constant cuts to other angles rapidly. The only time it really shook was in transition looking at someone's feet moving, etc. I would rather just see a well choreographed fight (which this appeared to be) without being jerked from one frame of view to another so much. The car chase in the third movie was great too, liked it a lot. Almost as good as the one in the first.

jag
08-11-2012, 04:41 PM
It's like having a Matrix 4, where Keanu Reeves isn't in it, but some B movie guy plays the next version on Neo, and Ving Rhames plays Morpheus.

:lol

CuckingFunt
08-11-2012, 04:58 PM
You're right, it's not the shaky cam that bothered me, it was the constant cuts to other angles rapidly. The only time it really shook was in transition looking at someone's feet moving, etc. I would rather just see a well choreographed fight (which this appeared to be) without being jerked from one frame of view to another so much. The car chase in the third movie was great too, liked it a lot. Almost as good as the one in the first.

I always assumed "shaky cam" was (or could be) used as a catchall term to describe restless camera movements in general--shaking, fast cuts, frequent zooms, whip pans, rack focus, etc.--rather than describing ONLY the shaking.

But, in any case, it is the constant movement of the camera and frequent reorientation that bothers me most in Greengrass' direction. Choreographed fight scenes are, for all intents and purposes, like dance numbers. The part that makes them exciting is seeing bodies move through space. That is just completely lost when the camera is too active. I like the camera to be dynamic, but when it comes to fight scenes I think less is more. Move things around a bit, give different angles, sure, but it's best when the framing is wide enough to see most of the people involved and when the shots last long enough to see more than a few moves.

leemajors
08-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Agreed.

AussieFanKurt
08-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Not a big fan of Damon, personally. Are they worth watching if this is so?

howbouthemspurs
08-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Just saw The Bourne Legacy... Very well crafted flick! Just like the other ones it left you wanting more. Renner did a great job with his character. I personally think he's more likable in this one than Damon. It was a very solid movie all around IMO. I give it 7/10.

Jacob1983
08-12-2012, 01:57 AM
Aaron Cross is definitely more likeable than Bourne. I think Cross is better and smarter with his instincts and isn't as emo as Bourne. Just my silly opinion.

Venti Quattro
08-12-2012, 05:21 AM
liked it.

InRareForm
08-12-2012, 11:07 PM
It was cool! Perhaps the 2nd half seemed rushed.. but it was entertaining overall.

TDMVPDPOY
08-13-2012, 12:36 AM
why they give this new guy a lead role? dude didnt do much in avengers.....

this is like orlando bloom from LOTR, then gettin some major role on POTC alongside depp, when everybody knows ppl only watch POTC for depps portrayed character only...

redzero
08-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Hawkeye, could potentially become the star of Mission Impossible, and new main character of the Bourne series.

Darth_Pelican
08-21-2012, 09:35 AM
I finally got around to seeing this.

Yes, it was likeable, but it wasn't great. I wouldn't put it in the same class as any of the Bourne Trilogy movies. The plot is pretty clear cut, and the action scenes are good.

spoiler* The whole "chems" and virus thing and having to travel halfway across the world to make it happen was kind of far fetched imo, and I didn't like that part of the story.

ALVAREZ6
08-21-2012, 05:48 PM
I liked it, although the ending was weak. But overall it was very entertaining. If there's nothing else out that you're interested in seeing and you want to see a new movie, I recommend this one.