PDA

View Full Version : How does this Ring, FEEL to you?

T Park
06-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Think about it.

99 absolute elation FINALLY

03 UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

05, EXPECTED

Is that what it feels like, Happy, but, "Yeah, we were SUPPOSED to do that"

Does this one feel different because it was so expected after a fantastic regular season and a awesome playoffs???

While the other two, yeah you thought they would win, but, there was always that unknowing.

This one, everyone I mean, everyone I knew, even when they would lose, eh, its cool weve got this shit.

Seriously, does this feel different because it pretty much felt like they were gonna eventually do what they did?

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2005, 04:53 PM
It feels just like the first two: fucking awesome. I like the fact that the Spurs piss off/turn off the casual fan. Fuck you bitches.

WayDowntownBang
06-24-2005, 04:53 PM
05, EXPECTED

I have intentionally *NEVER* dumped on you for your giving up on your team.

But give me a break. You are going to say you EXPECTED this now?

Jesus Christ, give it a rest already. You deserve everything people dump on you.

BillsCarnage
06-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Any thread started by Tpark is null!!

Fickle pickle flopper!

:fro

samikeyp
06-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Is that what it feels like, Happy, but, "Yeah, we were SUPPOSED to do that"

For me personally....I will never feel like that. You never know when your team will win a championship so you can never take it for granted.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 04:55 PM
I think this was the most difficult playoffs of all. I don't feel like it was expected. The whole world was doubting this team and Timmy D up until last night.

T Park
06-24-2005, 04:59 PM
03 they werent picked at all

99?? Somewhat.

But not to the degree this team was this year.

This team at the beginning of the year was a above everyone pick

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-24-2005, 04:59 PM
I don't think that there's any less sense of elation with this one it's just that I think that there's a different set of things tied to this one. In 99 it was elation with "finally!", like you said. I think 03 was elation with vindication thrown in, this was an 82 game season that saw the Spurs beat some very good teams on their way to the finals in a decisive fashion.

This year feels almost like a coronation. There's the joy but you throw in things like Duncan joining the 3mvp club, Pop winning his third and the elite company that puts them and this organization in. You're starting to hear whispers of the word "dynasty" and there's very good reason to believe that hype. I don't know if there's a feeling of expectation to this title, as I think most people around here have felt that the Spurs could win the title the last five years.

dcole50
06-24-2005, 05:01 PM
this was far from expected. heading into the detroit series, i really had no clue who would be the victor.

the only times i expected a ring were in '00 and '04 .. and, well, you know ..

bigzak25
06-24-2005, 05:01 PM
with TD being our ONLY bigman that we could seriously expect to COUNT ON entering the playoffs, and with his ankles being in recovery mode, no one can say it was expected.

Naz breaking out in the earlier series, and stepping up big in a couple of games in the Finals really turned the tide.

Props all around, but i do admit, the 1st one was so very sweet, and will always be the sweetest.

T Park
06-24-2005, 05:06 PM
and will always be the sweetest

99 to you isn't sweeter??

IMO I agree, the shortened season does put a tad of differentiality on it.

03 was IMO more fun than this one, because of the competitive WF and beating the Lakers.

Beating the Lakers is what puts it over the top for me.

Spurminator
06-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Kind of heavy, but I'll get used to it.

Das Texan
06-24-2005, 05:10 PM
its a sweet feeling. any time you can win a title its sweet, favored team or not. you cherish them all and celebrate them all...never know when the fun times will end.

the only thing expected was tpark having no sack.

timvp
06-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Expected? :wtf

Did you watch the playoffs? It was a tough battle and the Spurs could have easily folded an numerous points in the journey.

Expected my azz.

easjer
06-24-2005, 05:11 PM
'99 was probably the most exciting, because it was the first.

'03 rocked because it was unexpected but welcome, and it was a sweet sentimental thing to send the Admiral away with a championship.

'05 feels like validation. I wouldn't say expected, anymore than I've expected it since 2000. But we did it. We did it through injuries and midseason drama. We did it through doubters and haters. We played what I consider to be the toughest matchups in each round of the playoffs. We played it tough, we played it hard, we played it fast, we played it slow, we ground it out, we screwed up but didn't get down, we recovered and we proved that we could beat the best offense and the best defense. We proved that Manu is no flash in the pan, that Parker can hang with the MVP, that TD is one of the all time greatest, that Bowen deserved to be DPOY, that Horry's still got it, that Barry's fitting in, and that no one on this team is soft or lacking in heart or fire.

So that feels satisfying and good. But overall, I'll say with Timmy D that this year, because it's in the here and now feels the best.

WayDowntownBang
06-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Expected? :wtf

Did you watch the playoffs? It was a tough battle and the Spurs could have easily folded an numerous points in the journey.

Expected my azz.

Guys, c'mon. It was well documented.

T Park NEVER stopped believing.

duncan_21
06-24-2005, 05:13 PM
This one means so much more because the final series the nba finals actually brought a leastern team that could compete. I knew the spurs were gonna kick the knicks' asses.

The second one holds alot of meaning for me, I was struggling financially and was home enough to watch all the finals games drink and really enjoy the finals. It was a great diversion for me.

This one is the most special you had probably the 5th or 6th best team in the entire finals in denver, the best team in the second half. Then you had a sonics team that matched up very well. Then there was an exciting series with the suns, even though it was the easiest.

Then came the pistons. Thanks to the refs allowing the det bigmen to grab td's back of his jersey and then strip him all series except in game 7 det was a great matchup. They were a great team and the hardest of the 3 finals opponents.

This one means the most. This series is second only to the laker wc semifinals in 03 in my mind (just cause I hate the lakers).

Any way since I couldn't drink last nite and get no sleep, I'm gonna watch the game again and drink my ass off.

smeagol
06-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Expected? :
Did you watch the playoffs?
No, he quit watching after game four.

T Park
06-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Expected

yeah.

Dont make it think like, in round 1, oh, this thing is over.

No.

What I mean is, being the favorite to win all year, the favorite in the playoffs, and the favorite in the finals.

Does that make it different than 03, where Phoenix was picked to upset, Lakers were picked to upset?

Not expected in the fact that it was a mere formality to play the games.

Definately THE toughest playoffs out of the three.

WayDowntownBang
06-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Then came the pistons. Thanks to the refs allowing the det bigmen to grab td's back of his jersey and then strip him all series except in game 7 det was a great matchup. They were a great team and the hardest of the 3 finals opponents.

The winning team isn't allowed to make excuses. That just takes away from your win. Besides, if we're going that route, I can talk all day on bad fouls.

I choose to just congratulate your team.

duncan_21
06-24-2005, 05:17 PM
yeah.

Dont make it think like, in round 1, oh, this thing is over.

No.

What I mean is, being the favorite to win all year, the favorite in the playoffs, and the favorite in the finals.

Does that make it different than 03, where Phoenix was picked to upset, Lakers were picked to upset?

Not expected in the fact that it was a mere formality to play the games.

Definately THE toughest playoffs out of the three.

I personally thought the spurs were the best team this season and EXPECTED them to win the tital.

Spurminator
06-24-2005, 05:17 PM
Who picked Phoenix to upset in 2003?

bigzak25
06-24-2005, 05:19 PM
99 to you isn't sweeter??

that's what i said. the 99 WAS the SWEETEST cuz it was the 1st.

i think i expected a championship more in 03 than i did this year.

rasho and the fear of not beating detroit had alot to do with that.

but in 03? The Lakers were crumbling, we still Had Drob, Manu joined the team. Kerr was gravy. That was a confident year, whether Pop wanted to say our Spurs were 'rebuilding' or not....

50 & 21
06-24-2005, 05:21 PM
"It feels just like the first two: fucking awesome. I like the fact that the Spurs piss off/turn off the casual fan. Fuck you bitches."

Well said!

"99 to you isn't sweeter??"

Isn't that what he just said?

"You deserve everything people dump on you."

And this is from a Piston fan.

"The whole world was doubting this team and Timmy D up until last night."

I agree that MOST onlookers were (TPark/TomFoolery that I know of), but I hope you're not puttin us in that blanket!

"This team at the beginning of the year was a above everyone pick"

What? The beginning of the year means nothing.

"IMO I agree, the shortened season does put a tad of differentiality on it."

Yeah, the difference is that a few less games were played in the regular season. It ends there.

You should change your name buddy.

Timoha
06-24-2005, 05:23 PM
I thoguth that we could definatly make to the finals. I knew that the Seattle would give us trouble. I thought that the finals were a toss up. and they were very close.

DarrinS
06-24-2005, 05:26 PM
'99 -- The first time is always special
'03 -- Loved when Kerr drained 3's on the Mavs
'05 -- Relief. Most Spurs fans probably won't admit it, but having a game 7 against a REALLY GOOD Pistons team was gut-wrenching. I NEVER felt confident about that game until the very end.

baseline bum
06-24-2005, 05:27 PM
What the fuck? Expected? I seem to remember your ass expecting Detroit to take it in 6. Don't try to talk shit after the fact when you didn't rep your team beforehand.

This one is the best. This one is the most difficult. This is the one the Sprus had to overcome the most. This is the one the Spurs showed their versitility as a team. They had to play entirely different brands of basketball to win each round. They responded with a title with their backs against the wall and a 9 point deficit with time running out on the season. They went into Detroit and took a game when Chauncey Billups was putting up another legendary performance.

They overcame tons of injuries. Their franchise guy wasn't 100% for any of the playoffs. They integrated a new starting bigman on the fly when our old one went down.

The championship can't possibly mean shit to you with the way you've acted, but it means a fucking lot to me and to 99% of the rest of Spurs fans. When a team expects a title shit happens like the Lakers dropping it in 5 and then dropping a nuke on the roster last year.

WayDowntownBang
06-24-2005, 05:29 PM
What the fuck? Expected? I seem to remember your ass expecting Detroit to take it in 6. Don't try to talk shit after the fact when you didn't rep your team beforehand.

This one is the best. This one is the most difficult. This is the one the Sprus had to overcome the most. This is the one the Spurs showed their versitility as a team. They had to play entirely different brands of basketball to win each round. They responded with a title with their backs against the wall and a 9 point deficit with time running out on the season. They went into Detroit and took a game when Chauncey Billups was putting up another legendary performance.

They overcame tons of injuries. Their franchise guy wasn't 100% for any of the playoffs. They integrated a new starting bigman on the fly when our old one went down.

The championship can't possibly mean shit to you with the way you've acted, but it means a fucking lot to me and to 99% of the rest of Spurs fans. When a team expects a title shit happens like the Lakers dropping it in 5 and then dropping a nuke on the roster last year.

I'm glad someone else said it too. I couldn't believe there wasn't a revolt against him on this.

Spurminator
06-24-2005, 05:31 PM
This is the one the Spurs showed their versitility as a team. They had to play entirely different brands of basketball to win each round.

Great take.

The Spurs out-Offensed the Suns, and out-Defensed the Pistons.

timvp
06-24-2005, 05:33 PM

:tu

"Expected" might be the last word in the English vocabulary that I'd use to describe this championship.