PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Bubble Mentality?

DejuanorwhatDude
08-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Is it just me or does the San Antonio culture seem to exist in it's own bubble where free agents are very hesitant to enter? I realize that our cap situation has been limited in the past few years and draft picks have been next to non-existent in terms of relevance in terms of trades but with the Howard trade I just started thinking that maybe it's something about our system that players don't like. Maybe it's that their skill sets won't be featured or that it's a little too family friendly or maybe even Pop.

Why is it you never hear that free agents are 'desiring' to come to San Antonio? One would think they would considering the amount of winning that happens here, but they for the large part have no interest. Take for example, for whatever it's worth, Josh Howard. He gets offered a contract by San Antonio last year but instead chooses to play for a similar amount in Utah on a much worse team. I'm sure there are many more examples but the amount of news I hear about free agents and San Antonio is next to none and there's got to be an answer.

ElNono
08-10-2012, 12:09 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

baseline bum
08-10-2012, 12:11 PM
It's mainly because San Antonio is a shitty city filled with fat bitches tbh.

Dex
08-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Pop is one of the most widely respected coaches in the league, so I doubt he's the problem. His system, however, may be one of the culprits.

1) The Spurs system is notoriously nuanced and complicated. If you had to do a job, would you want to it the simple and fun way, or the difficult and complex way? I think some players just wouldn't want to put in the time, and know they wouldn't stick around long if they didn't. They also know that they will have to give into the "team concept"....meaning they can't try to constantly put themselves in the spotlight. With most NBA players being alpha dogs, and also wanting to showcase their skills to land bigger contracts, that probably doesn't sit well.

2) San Antonio is not a "premiere destination". Sure, its a nice town...but there's no beach, no mountains, no big money market, not a lot of night-life....it's a family town, and not a lot of NBA players are "family guys". Outside of that, about the only thing it really has going is cost of living and no state taxes.

3) Spurs are known for being fiscal, and also don't have a lot of cap space. That means they don't overpay their players, and they make them earn what they do pay. Players are more likely to get a big payday from a team that throws its money around, as opposed to coming to San Antonio where they will be pressured to take less money.

4) Like it or not, the Spurs aren't contenders anymore. They aren't far off, but they are still on the outside looking in. I'm sure players would rather play for a playoff team than a cellar dweller....but they'd also rather play for a true contender than a possible pretender.

xellos88330
08-10-2012, 12:17 PM
This is my only explanation for it. Aside from having little marketability here in San Antonio, the reason is because players like Danny Green become solid players. How else could someone explain the Spurs constantly finding gems from the bottom of the barrel? If you are in San Antonio, be prepared to work your ass off because nothing less is tolerated.

lefty
08-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Shitty city
Not enough money
Shitty city

Juggity
08-10-2012, 12:35 PM
San Antonio is a pretty nice place to live if you want to live cheaply, don't mind having to look at and interact with fat people all the time, and aren't very interested in night life.

That doesn't really describe a whole lot of NBA players.

Also Peter Holt is one of the least-rich owners in the league. He's probably not willing to throw around $90 million/season like the Lakers just did. So players can earn more playing elsewhere.

wildbill2u
08-10-2012, 01:18 PM
SA doesn't have much of a black cultural experience--eg rap venues. nightclubs, etc--that appeal to young rich black males. Off and on, Spur players have tried to open clubs on their own which tells you something about the nightlife scene.

Players for the Jazz sometimes complain about the lack of black culture in Utah and how they feel like outsiders. SA isn't like that, but we aren't NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Miami, LA, etc. either.

If players appreciate a family oriented city which is pretty cosmopolitan and more color-blind than most cities in the US, then they come to like it in SA and, in fact, many of them decide to retire here when they could move on with their money to cities with more of a black presence.

Obstructed_View
08-10-2012, 01:22 PM
The Spurs have had too many of their own good players to afford to throw big money at free agents over the years. They were able to land Michael Finley thanks to Mark Cuban paying him five million dollars a year not to be a Maverick.

Solid D
08-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Money. Meanwhile, go pound sand lefty. I love my city.

spurs10
08-10-2012, 01:56 PM
One of the funniest threads I've ever read....

T Park
08-10-2012, 03:05 PM
It's mainly because San Antonio is a shitty city filled with fat bitches tbh.

I do business in Southern California.

The cities here are twice as shitty with twice as shitty people..

T Park
08-10-2012, 03:07 PM

Bravo.

Duncan2177
08-10-2012, 03:21 PM

So true:lol

Buddy Holly
08-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Nice troll job by BLB.

Lol at the poster that put "mountains" as something desireable? Those things are extremely overrated aesthically especially in a desert setting. I got tired of them after a week when I vacationed in Las Begas and Phoenix this summer. Hill country >> Desert mountains.

Buddy Holly
08-10-2012, 04:31 PM

I doubt most criticizes have left the confines of their parents homes.

baseline bum
08-10-2012, 04:42 PM
LOL that Phoenix is the measuring stick to compare to. Wow, SA is slightly better than the place that's 110 every day.

Buddy Holly
08-10-2012, 04:54 PM
LOL that Phoenix is the measuring stick to compare to. Wow, SA is slightly better than the place that's 110 every day.

Huh? I used Phoenix as an example of a place with a desert landscape that featured mountains. That type of environment and scenery got old really fast. I didn't think it would but it did. In both Phoenix and Vegas. It had nothing to do with the temperature, I never even brought it up. Way to good showing off that incredible reading comphrension.

-21-
08-10-2012, 06:18 PM
San Antonio is a small city with a small market. Simply put they don't have as much dough as other cities. I can't comment on how the place and the people are since I've never been there but it doesn't look bad, I wouldn't call it "shitty". BTW, anyone here ever been to NY or LA?

Buddy Holly
08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
San Antonio is a small city with a small market. Simply put they don't have as much dough as other cities. I can't comment on how the place and the people are since I've never been there but it doesn't look bad, I wouldn't call it "shitty". BTW, anyone here ever been to NY or LA?

Cone on now, SA isn't a small city or a small metro. 2.2 million while adding 50K+ a year to the population on a yearly basis.

therealtruth
08-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Winning titles helps.

Cane
08-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Because Duncan's old

Married players probably want to stay away from SA too after the Parker/Barry fiasco...yea I brought it up again :downspin:

Richard Jefferson wasn't exactly a shining beacon either for potential Spurs

racm
08-10-2012, 07:27 PM
The Spurs have four more championships than they should have given their location, tbh

HI-FI
08-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I don't understand the "shitty" reputation either. Granted, I haven't lived there since I was a kid and now live a couple hours away, so I don't visit SA all the time. My only problem with SA is the same I have with most of Texas, I hate humidity and waterbugs (ie roaches) but I imagine it's worse in Florida. SA does have a lot of illegals but so does LA.

I'm sure there's a lot better cities than SA but you could also do a lot worse. If you want nightlife and hotter bitches, you could easily live in Austin which is my preferred city and just work in SA.

Stabula
08-10-2012, 08:10 PM
San Antonio is an Americanized version of Mexico. Everywhere you go Mexican culture is strongly show cased and you'll find three taco stands on every block. Most NBA players aren't Mexicans but SA is pretty racially tolerant. It's not a small city by any means either, it's actually one of the bigger cities in the country.

There are tons of fat people though, it tends to be conservative (a lot of catholic Mexicans set the tone), and in general there just isn't much to do for young people. If you're young and wealthy I can understand not wanting to live in San Antonio because it's really not that great, very little special about it, with little to offer.

Sucks.

lefty
08-10-2012, 08:39 PM

:lmao

Buddy Holly
08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
San Antonio is an Americanized version of Mexico. Everywhere you go Mexican culture is strongly show cased and you'll find three taco stands on every block. Most NBA players aren't Mexicans but SA is pretty racially tolerant. It's not a small city by any means either, it's actually one of the bigger cities in the country.

There are tons of fat people though, it tends to be conservative (a lot of catholic Mexicans set the tone), and in general there just isn't much to do for young people. If you're young and wealthy I can understand not wanting to live in San Antonio because it's really not that great, very little special about it, with little to offer.

Sucks.

So you're talking out your ass is what you're saying? How does San Antonio tend to be conservative? The last three Mayors were democrats. In 2008, Bexar county voted for Obama. Six of the last seven Mayors were democrats. Bill Thorton being the only Republican Mayor.

Massive city bonds get passed every few years.

An openly gay woman and gay man have been voted on to the city council.

San Antonio leads the nation in gay family households percentage wise.

I can keep going.

As for your last few comments. It's not that great but almost all Spurs players who have played 3-4 plus seasons here end up retiring here. Right. :lmao

Sean Marks round up retiring and living here and he's from New Zealand and played in Phoenix, Portland, etc. But you're opinion is so on point. :lol

Stabula
08-10-2012, 09:42 PM
So you're talking out your ass is what you're saying? How does San Antonio tend to be conservative? The last three Mayors were democrats. In 2008, Bexar county voted for Obama. Six of the last seven Mayors were democrats. Bill Thorton being the only Republican Mayor.

Massive city bonds get passed every few years.

An openly gay woman and gay man have been voted on to the city council.

San Antonio leads the nation in gay family households percentage wise.

In 2008 everyone voted for Obama. There's probably so many gays because San Antonio is a big military city and the military is full of gays. The military is not a liberal organization. The whole reason this city exists is because of the military. There's also more to conservatism than politics.
As for your last few comments. It's not that great but almost all Spurs players who have played 3-4 plus seasons here end up retiring here. Right. :lmao

Sean Marks round up retiring and living here and he's from New Zealand and played in Phoenix, Portland, etc. But you're opinion is so on point. :lol

San Antonio isn't that great, get over it. You visit other big cities in this country or even in other parts of the world and you quickly realize how lacking San Antonio is in so many ways. I don't even see how that can be argued. Because Sean Marks? Please... :rolleyes

Buddy Holly
08-10-2012, 09:54 PM
In 2008 everyone voted for Obama. There's probably so many gays because San Antonio is a big military city and the military is full of gays. The military is not a liberal organization. The whole reason this city exists is because of the military. There's also more to conservatism than politics.

Are you 15 or are you an adult with the intelligence of a 15 year old? I almost 99 percent sure you're a jag off troll. But I'll bite.

Everyone didn't vote for Obama in 2008.

The military is full of gays? Jesus...

San Antonio wouldn't exist without the military? Ok, you are 15. No, I take that back, 13.

And yes, there is more to conservatism than what political party you fall under, which is why I gave you two or three examples that didn't concern politics, you dumbass troll.

San Antonio isn't that great, get over it. You visit other big cities in this country or even in other parts of the world and you quickly realize how lacking San Antonio is in so many ways. I don't even see how that can be argued. Because Sean Marks? Please... :rolleyes

I'm sure google has allowed you to go on many great expeditions of "other big cities" or maybe your imagination has, I don't know. I want to believe your parents are strict with internet usage in your house.

But way to oversimplify everything I said while missing the points altogether. Brilliant strategy kid.

Now go brush your teeth, take your vitamins with a glass of milk and tomorrow, hit the books.

Solid D
08-10-2012, 10:33 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/Ydarnik/Troll_Trap.gif

Troll Trap

NRHector
08-11-2012, 12:17 AM
The Mexican Cartels will save and invest in SA then it'll become a city with alot of money where players will love to play and party

Buddy Holly
08-11-2012, 12:43 AM
The Mexican Cartels will save and invest in SA then it'll become a city with alot of money where players will love to play and party

Save? From what? :lol

BTW, Graham Weston is already using his billions to invest in San Antonio. He's putting hundreds of millions into downtown. :toast

DMC
08-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Is it just me or does the San Antonio culture seem to exist in it's own bubble where free agents are very hesitant to enter?

First I've heard of it.

DMC
08-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Pop is one of the most widely respected coaches in the league, so I doubt he's the problem. His system, however, may be one of the culprits.

1) The Spurs system is notoriously nuanced and complicated. If you had to do a job, would you want to it the simple and fun way, or the difficult and complex way? I think some players just wouldn't want to put in the time, and know they wouldn't stick around long if they didn't. They also know that they will have to give into the "team concept"....meaning they can't try to constantly put themselves in the spotlight. With most NBA players being alpha dogs, and also wanting to showcase their skills to land bigger contracts, that probably doesn't sit well.

2) San Antonio is not a "premiere destination". Sure, its a nice town...but there's no beach, no mountains, no big money market, not a lot of night-life....it's a family town, and not a lot of NBA players are "family guys". Outside of that, about the only thing it really has going is cost of living and no state taxes.

3) Spurs are known for being fiscal, and also don't have a lot of cap space. That means they don't overpay their players, and they make them earn what they do pay. Players are more likely to get a big payday from a team that throws its money around, as opposed to coming to San Antonio where they will be pressured to take less money.

4) Like it or not, the Spurs aren't contenders anymore. They aren't far off, but they are still on the outside looking in. I'm sure players would rather play for a playoff team than a cellar dweller....but they'd also rather play for a true contender than a possible pretender.

SA is a black hole for the media. Players not only want to win, they want money. They not only want money, they want fame. They not only want fame, they want attention from the media. They don't want to have to fly to another city to attend a decent event. Even TNT dogs the shit out of SA. Same is true for OKC. No one is going to want to play there, even if they win a ring.

They don't want to be bible beaten.

They don't want to fall into group lock step with Tim Duncan's head patting routine.

It's a retirement destination for players.

racm
08-11-2012, 01:02 AM
It's too Hispanic and not black enough, tbh

Buddy Holly
08-11-2012, 01:04 AM
It's too Hispanic and not black enough, tbh

Probably. We'd be a top three landing spot for soccer!

racm
08-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Why else would Manu be at home?

Buddy Holly
08-11-2012, 01:16 AM
They don't want to be bible beaten.

They wouldn't in SA.

Buddy Holly
08-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Why else would Manu be at home?

His wife called him?

rascal
08-12-2012, 09:56 AM

San Antonio isn't much better. 98 for months on end with higher humidity.

rascal
08-12-2012, 09:58 AM
San Antonio is a boring town to many young black athletes.

Kori Ellis
08-12-2012, 10:19 AM

This is the best answer in the thread.

maverick1948
08-12-2012, 12:12 PM

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US. Factor in the outlying areas that make up the market, you have well over 2.5 million and growing fast. While LA and NY claim everything within a 75 mile radius as their market, we have Austin only 70 miles from SA and getting closer every year. Austin growing at 41 % and SA at 22 % means a lot more people in the SA market.

Dex agreed with you on #1 and some of #3. Spurs spend their money in a way that keeps players here. If we paid like Lakers we would go broke. We dont charge the same for tickets. But to say we dont pay is foolish. We have had one of the higher payrolls over the last 15 years. We do watch the luxury tax. That gives a misnomer that we are cheap.

As for #2, you must have missed the fact that we have some very fine resorts within driving distance of SA. Excellent golf and swimming resorts abound in this area. Not everything has to revolve around rap and hiphop music. Depending on where in LA you live, it may be a 3 or 4 hour drive to a safe beach, while it is only 4 hours for an overnight stay in Corpus. After driving thru California on a 2 week vacation, I found that there were things there that were not here. We had snow in Donner Pass, Heat and earthquake in LA, rush hour traffic that lasted all day(in SA it lasts less than an hour to get anywhere in the city). Leaving LA, we saw nothing but desert until we got back to Texas(this includes Arizona and New Mexico). I invite you to come to the Hill Country and see the beauty of Texas, go to East Texas and see the Piney Woods. Visit NASA in Houston, the Alamo in SA and Dallas, Ft Worth see Texas. SA has enough history in the area to fill a book of its own.

#4. No longer contenders. What does playing in the playoffs for 15 consecutive years, winning 4 titles, winning 50 or more games a season in 15 straight years and winning 20 games in row mean? If you are wanting to compare franchise historys, then we dont stand up to some of the others, LA or Bos but we are close to Chicago and ahead of the others. I can name you 20+ teams that would love to have the same problems we have.

:toast

Bill_Brasky
08-12-2012, 12:21 PM
:cry don't you dare trash talk my city! :cry

I like SA, not the best city around but it's a fun place to go that's not far from ATX. Once you get used to the "big city laid out like a small town" vibe you can enjoy yourself there. IDK about living there though.

Blake
08-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Probably. We'd be a top three landing spot for soccer!

It's what the Alamodome was built for

SpursDynasty
08-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Lol at everyone here trash talking SA. Yet you live here too.

That being said, this city lacks charisma and people in this town only care about two things.

Buddy Holly
08-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Thought this useless thread died a slow death. :bang

Buddy Holly
08-12-2012, 01:16 PM

No, it wasn't.

baseline bum
08-12-2012, 01:22 PM

The Alamodome was built to bring the NFL to SA. :lol

Blake
08-12-2012, 01:25 PM
No, it wasn't.

Spurs + soccer?

Blake
08-12-2012, 01:26 PM
The Alamodome was built to bring the NFL to SA. :lol

:lol:lol like that would have ever happened :lol:lol

davi78239
08-12-2012, 02:19 PM

We got beat out by charlotte and freakin Jacksonville of all places for an NFL team.

Buddy Holly
08-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Spurs + soccer?

No.

Buddy Holly
08-12-2012, 02:49 PM

We were final four finalists for a team but lost out to Charlotte and Jacksonville. Charlotte is understandable but the NFL thinking Jacksonville had a better future in terms of population and economic growth is pretty hysterical using hindsight.

baseline bum
08-12-2012, 04:45 PM
The NFL never wanted any part of being here since lots of people here are hardcore Cowboys fans.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
08-13-2012, 12:20 AM
I think SA has more Cowboy fans than Dallas, at least percentage wise.

Buddy Holly
08-13-2012, 12:38 AM
The NFL never wanted any part of being here since lots of people here are hardcore Cowboys fans.

The old commissioner didn't. Thankfully his behind has since retired.

jag
08-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Buddy Holly in the house.

It's a special day when Buddy Holly stops by to share his thoughts.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-14-2012, 05:32 PM
:lol "dejuanorwhatdude"
:lol fat Mexican
:lol inspired by a fat NBA player because you're fat

jag
08-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Thought this useless thread died a slow death. :bang

:cry :cry "Go away, thread!" :cry :cry

SpurNation
08-14-2012, 05:53 PM
There's the Riverwalk, the Guadalupe, cruisin' 1604. Oh...and the ghost tracks. What do they mean there's nothing to do? But I would contend if one were to embark on eating at every taco restaurant they probably couldn't visit each establishment before permanent rest.

All kidding aside...it's a great place to live if you want to keep more of the money you earn.