PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard to LA is bull

baseline bum
08-10-2012, 11:20 PM
The more I think about it the more I realize the spurs were used to make every small market seem like they have a chance. That torch is being passed to OKC now. NBA is a joke. Timvp you it know too.

100%duncan
08-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Credits to their FO tbh.

Meanwhile, Spurs gonna stand pat with their roster. :cry

InRareForm
08-10-2012, 11:25 PM
BB, I am guessing you are having a few cold ones and sharing some buzzed thoughts. These buzzed thoughts are indeed true tbh.. :(

baseline bum
08-10-2012, 11:29 PM
This trade doesn't bother me as much as it probably should. As far as I'm concerned, Bynum has a better back to the basket game than Dwight does, and at least Bynum hits his free throws. Dwight is much better in transition, but as far as I'm concerned, the more the Lakers try to run, the bigger our advantage. Plus Dwight won't sign an extension and will become a free agent. There's a solid chance he signs with the Mavs or Rockets

InRareForm
08-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Lakers won't get #1 seed in regular season. Book it

pass1st
08-10-2012, 11:33 PM

Probably not since they will lose a lot of their first games, Dwight probably seeing limited minutes if any.

KoolAid Mans Brother
08-10-2012, 11:34 PM
The more I think about it the more I realize the spurs were used to make every small market seem like they have a chance. That torch is being passed to OKC now. NBA is a joke. Timvp you it know too.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/210/790/butt-hurt.jpg

baseline bum
08-10-2012, 11:36 PM
I don't really give a fuck if LA got Howard. Our team is mainly based on perimeter shooting anyway. The only guy who drives the paint is Parker. LA has no one who can keep up with our perimeter players. I wouldn't be surprised if we swept them next season.

Venti Quattro
08-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't really give a fuck if LA got Howard. Our team is mainly based on perimeter shooting anyway. The only guy who drives the paint is Parker. LA has no one who can keep up with our perimeter players. I wouldn't be surprised if we swept them next season.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

pass1st
08-10-2012, 11:37 PM

Live by the 3, die by the 3.

ElNono
08-10-2012, 11:46 PM
DeColo >>> Nash
Splitter >>> Howard
Mills >>> Kobe

:drunk

IronMaxipad
08-10-2012, 11:46 PM

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin
:rollin:lmao:lmao

pass1st
08-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Baseline with the drunk goods, not gonna hold that against him tbh.

LkrFan
08-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Five ***** Thread. Will read again. :lol

LkrFan
08-10-2012, 11:49 PM

Can some GNSF come in here and :downspin: this? :lol

Clipper Nation
08-10-2012, 11:50 PM
yup

spurs are done

they shoulda traded parkers ass and rebuilt
Should have traded Duncan's ass to the Clippers so he could teach his :cry classy post moves and fundamentals :cry to Blake the Beast, tbh...

Jelloisjigglin
08-10-2012, 11:51 PM

:lmao :lmao

baseline bum
08-10-2012, 11:51 PM
The NBA is set up to screw the little market until the big name player from the small market leaves for a bigger market.....BULLSHIT!

pass1st
08-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Should have traded Duncan's ass to the Clippers so he could teach his :cry classy post moves and fundamentals :cry to Blake the Beast, tbh...

Maybe he can teach blake to run like a man
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/blake-griffin-frolicking.jpg

100%duncan
08-10-2012, 11:59 PM
C'mon BB. Save your ST dignity.

ElNono
08-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Can some GNSF come in here and :downspin: this? :lol

We're just overall a much classier city and how is Dwight supposed to guard Matt Bonner on the perimeter? Game, set, match... Keep dreaming, Lakerfan

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 12:02 AM
:lmao Buddy Holly
:lmao pleading to insanity

DazedAndConfused
08-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Sports has always been like this. Big market teams will always dominate, it's what's best for the sport.

Nobody wants to fucking see podunk San Antonio in the Finals ever again. They gave rise to some of the worst ratings in NBA history. I doubt Lord Commander Stern wants to repeat that ever again.

DMC
08-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Rant aside, I don't understand why the same people who claim the NBA is rigged to favor large markets want their small market teams to rebuild. What's the point?

Oh, and :lol at prodigal Laker fan return.

ElNono
08-11-2012, 12:22 AM
ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

I know BB couldn't be that drunk :lol

ElNono
08-11-2012, 12:23 AM
The NBA is set up to screw the little market until the big name player from the small market leaves for a bigger market.....BULLSHIT!

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

pass1st
08-11-2012, 12:25 AM
tbh, why do people act surprised? I said it before and I'll say it again, Lakers don't build championship teams, they buy them :lol

Deuce Bigalow
08-11-2012, 12:29 AM
L:lolL

Kidd K
08-11-2012, 12:34 AM
'eh, it's fine man. Lakers are just the Yankees of the NBA, and the Yankees don't always win the title. They're just always in the hunt and signing a lot of the available free agents.

The CBA has too many holes in it to actually allow proper competative balance since money is still able to be thrown around and buy players. The "trade exception" in particular is a terrible loophole that needs to be closed or at least ammended.

Sadly, it's also looking like OKC is going to lose one of their top players soon too since they won't be able to afford it. Most likely James Harden because he's such a wildcard out on the floor. Sort of like 80-85% of what Ginobili used to be, yet with better athleticism and room to improve and get even better at the other things.

Jacob1983
08-11-2012, 12:55 AM
http://preview.turbosquid.com/Preview/2012/02/04__14_41_03/01_Fully%20rigged.JPGe5370e74-b510-4ae7-942a-12d1e7c9c335Large.jpg

Kai
08-11-2012, 01:00 AM
This is some fucking bullshit.

racm
08-11-2012, 01:00 AM
'eh, it's fine man. Lakers are just the Yankees of the NBA, and the Yankees don't always win the title. They're just always in the hunt and signing a lot of the available free agents.

The CBA has too many holes in it to actually allow proper competative balance since money is still able to be thrown around and buy players. The "trade exception" in particular is a terrible loophole that needs to be closed or at least ammended.

Sadly, it's also looking like OKC is going to lose one of their top players soon too since they won't be able to afford it. Most likely James Harden because he's such a wildcard out on the floor. Sort of like 80-85% of what Ginobili used to be, yet with better athleticism and room to improve and get even better at the other things.

If I were Presti I'd keep Ibaka, especially if someone signs both he and Harden to a max offer sheet. Defense wins you championships, and Durant/Westbrook are one of the best 1-2 punches.

IronMaxipad
08-11-2012, 01:03 AM
This is some fucking bullshit.

I'm ready to go on record guaranteeing that Dwight will be a Rocket. Take it to the bank bitch.

:lol:lol

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 01:07 AM
:lmao take it to the bank
:lmao bankrupt

ElNono
08-11-2012, 01:10 AM
lol, just realized VSpan was a rocket...

:lol rockets
:lol greece
:lol bankrupt

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 01:11 AM
:lol Rockets
:lol Chinatown
:lol Chinateam
:lol controlled by the chink government

racm
08-11-2012, 01:14 AM
:lol Rockets
:lol "stockpiling resources"
:lol Morey
:lol Yao
:lol Chinese Sessions
:lol over 9000 power forwards

Kidd K
08-11-2012, 01:20 AM
If I were Presti I'd keep Ibaka, especially if someone signs both he and Harden to a max offer sheet. Defense wins you championships, and Durant/Westbrook are one of the best 1-2 punches.

I think that's who they're keeping too. It's really going to hurt OKC to lose Harden, but now that LA has both Gasol AND Howard. . .and Memphis still has Randolph and the other (but still good) Gasol, you have to have bigs to compete now. Ibaka's offensive game has improved as well. If he can develop a solid post game, look out.

I agree that Harden's going to get offered a max deal (or something close to it) somewhere else too, and OKC just can't afford it. Harden has too much versetility and that "Ginobili factor" that some teams out there are going to want to try to catch lightning in a bottle with.

Most likely OKC will trade him during his last season though and get some nice returns for him. I could see them staying on top for awhile if they net enough decent draft picks. Though the sign and trade is always an option too. Not quite as good, but I can see OKC keeping Harden for "one last real strong run" before re-tooling for a season or two then going for it again.

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 01:23 AM
TJ Simers wrote a good piece about the Busses vis-a-vis the trade. TJ Simers and good article in a sentence -- holy shit, hell has frozen over.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-simers-jim-buss-20120811,0,5952293,full.column

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 01:28 AM
D12 don't have to worry about this no mo:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8k6xtziwJ1r0sh8ro1_400.jpg

ElNono
08-11-2012, 01:31 AM
D12 don't have to worry about this no mo:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8k6xtziwJ1r0sh8ro1_400.jpg

Kobe with the ball? he kinda does... he better get ready to rebound the ball... :lol

racm
08-11-2012, 01:33 AM
I think that's who they're keeping too. It's really going to hurt OKC to lose Harden, but now that LA has both Gasol AND Howard. . .and Memphis still has Randolph and the other (but still good) Gasol, you have to have bigs to compete now. Ibaka's offensive game has improved as well. If he can develop a solid post game, look out.

I agree that Harden's going to get offered a max deal (or something close to it) somewhere else too, and OKC just can't afford it. Harden has too much versetility and that "Ginobili factor" that some teams out there are going to want to try to catch lightning in a bottle with.

Most likely OKC will trade him during his last season though and get some nice returns for him. I could see them staying on top for awhile if they net enough decent draft picks. Though the sign and trade is always an option too. Not quite as good, but I can see OKC keeping Harden for "one last real strong run" before re-tooling for a season or two then going for it again.

Not to mention they hope guys like Perry Jones would eventually compensate.

Latarian Milton
08-11-2012, 01:38 AM
difference is today's nigs are far greedier and none of them will stay with the same team earning salary like 10m/yr his entire life like manu does tbh. once the small-market team cannot afford to quench n!gger's boundless thirst for $, they have no choice but to let them walk and get overpaid elsewhere tbh

Findog
08-11-2012, 10:51 AM
This trade doesn't bother me as much as it probably should. As far as I'm concerned, Bynum has a better back to the basket game than Dwight does, and at least Bynum hits his free throws. Dwight is much better in transition, but as far as I'm concerned, the more the Lakers try to run, the bigger our advantage. Plus Dwight won't sign an extension and will become a free agent. There's a solid chance he signs with the Mavs or Rockets

:lol

Koolaid_Man
08-11-2012, 10:57 AM

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/ao1_500.jpg

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 11:08 AM

:rollin :lmao

tlongII
08-11-2012, 11:16 AM
We'll beat 'em. We're on our way back to the top. :tu

baseline bum
08-11-2012, 11:17 AM
We'll beat 'em. We're on our way back to the top. :tu

IronMaxipad

tlongII
Nobody hates the Lakers more than us. Nobody.

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 11:22 AM

We seriously don't give a shit about you or your team.

tlongII
08-11-2012, 11:25 AM
We seriously don't give a shit about you or your team.

Words to die by.

pass1st
08-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Tlong, you know lakerfans don't consider Blazers even a top 5 rival?

tlongII
08-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Tlong, you know lakerfans don't consider Blazers even a top 5 rival?

Do you think that matters? Do you think we care what they think? :lol

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 12:01 PM
This rivalry is based on that the Lakers can't win in the Rose Garden so stupid fucks from Portland think that they're worth a shit to the Lakers. Boo fucking hoo, they don't.

pass1st
08-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Do you think that matters? Do you think we care what they think? :lol

Yeah, blazer fans actually get flustered when you make fun of them for a 1-way rivalry. Laker fans dont give a shit about Blazers, but blazer fans are obsessed with them :lol

baseline bum
08-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah, blazer fans actually get flustered when you make fun of them for a 1-way rivalry. Laker fans dont give a shit about Blazers, but blazer fans are obsessed with them :lol

1-way? Dem niggas beat y'all's asses 4-0 back in 77 son.

pass1st
08-11-2012, 01:24 PM
^
If that's all it took to make a rival then we would consider almost every team a rival.

Blazers never made much noise in Laker history, unlike the Cs and Spurs. When Blazers play at Staples, it's just another game. When Lakers are up in Portland, they act like its game 7. It's as one-way as a rivalry can get, a lot of fans don't even know the Blazers rang before.

It's just a case of Lakers being Lakers and Blazerfans butthurt over it

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 01:26 PM
1-way? Dem niggas beat y'all's asses 4-0 back in 77 son.

shit, Dallas would be a bigger rival then!

baseline bum
08-11-2012, 01:26 PM
If this was 35 years ago you wouldn't be so goddamn cocky, son.

pass1st
08-11-2012, 01:32 PM
If this was 35 years ago you wouldn't be so goddamn cocky, son.

It's not arrogance, it's simply that we see Blazers as just another team. It's people like tlong who live in a false reality where Blazers and Lakers have the most intense reality in the NBA and an unproven Rookie will become the GOAT.

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 01:33 PM
The Suns are higher than the Blazers on the rivalry list. Truth

IronMexican
08-11-2012, 01:35 PM

>regular season

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 01:35 PM
>regular season

:lol Spurs
:lol Regular season champs

baseline bum
08-11-2012, 01:38 PM
:lol Spurs
:lol Regular season champs

I'm cautiously optimistic we can three-peat in the west.

IronMexican
08-11-2012, 01:40 PM

:lmao

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 01:42 PM

:rollin :rollin :rollin

baseline bum
08-11-2012, 01:44 PM
I know you fuckers aren't mathematicians like me, but I'm still going to leave you with the equation that shows why:

21 + 9 + 20 = 50.

QED

pass1st
08-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Tbh, it's possible. Pop is a regular season genius

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 01:49 PM
I know you fuckers aren't mathematicians like me, but I'm still going to leave you with the equation that shows why:

21 + 9 + 20 = 50.

QED

Oh my god, the Spurs play with such complex mathematics, it's incomprehensible and yet classy at the same time. :cry :cry :cry

Grey Spurfan
08-11-2012, 01:51 PM

baseline bum
08-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Oh my god, the Spurs play with such complex mathematics, it's incomprehensible and yet classy at the same time. :cry :cry :cry

I don't see no damn imaginary numbers there. Don't get it twisted; my equation speaks for itself.

Grey Spurfan
08-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Seriously why even give a fuck and have a league anymore? Might as well just have LA, Chicago, Miami, New York, and Boston in the league and that's it...

Koolaid_Man
08-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Seriously why even give a fuck and have a league anymore? Might as well just have LA, Chicago, Miami, New York, and Boston in the league and that's it...

stop whining ok....no? you need a hanky?

Laker fan played it cool when you guys signed Capt Jack, Boris Diaw, and Patty Mills...no one complained while you guys celebrated...real talk

baseline bum
08-11-2012, 02:09 PM
NBA is finished.
This league gonna disappear in 5 years.

Book it.

Clipper Nation
08-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Other than Clipperfans, Celticfans, Kingfans, Spurfans, and Sunfans, who all have actual valid reasons to hate the Lakers, tbh....

Koolaid_Man
08-11-2012, 02:16 PM
NBA is finished.
This league gonna disappear in 5 years.

Book it.

for pete's sake bum...act like somebody will ya...

stop the fuckin whining

Grey Spurfan
08-11-2012, 02:18 PM
stop whining ok....no? you need a hanky?

Laker fan played it cool when you guys signed Capt Jack, Boris Diaw, and Patty Mills...no one complained while you guys celebrated...real talk

Oh yeah more money in his rigged leagues pockets! KOBE VS LEBRON, like the commercials years ago on it with them two he will get it no matter what the cost! Lets hope two teams dash that dream, I doubt it but lets hope God prevails there and they do not make it next year.

Clipper Nation
08-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Mainly because 90% of Lakerfans in general don't have a clue who Capt. Jack, Boris Diaw, and Patty Mills are, tbh... :lol

Koolaid_Man
08-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Real Thunder Fans speak out:

Think of it like this... We had a tough series with them last year.... It went only five, but two of our four wins were nail biters and honestly, one was a gift. In that series, you could have made an argument that improved PG play and more toughness inside could have flipped the outcome for the Lakers. Well, how about Steve Nash and Dwight Howard to address that problem? Pretty big time.

I'm not saying the Lakers have leapfrogged the Thunder in the West, but you know what? It's close. Yeah, Nash is 38. He was also an All-Star that finished second in the league in assists while shooting a career high 53.2% from the field last season. And let's give Kupchak his due here. He managed to pick up Howard AND keep Gasol. I'm just saying, don't sell this Lakers team short.

No other way to spin it, this was a tremendous deal for the Lakers. Adding Howard while keeping Pau is just huge. Howard will be motivated, and while Bynum is a very solid NBA center, he can't hold a candle to Howard in terms of overall impact.

We are no longer set up to match up well with them. Westbrook toasts them in large part because he doesn't need to play defense against Sessions or Blake. Now, while he will still blow by Nash, he has to pay attention to him on the other end.

This is a good one... - lol

We are delusional if we don't acknowledge this is a bad day for OKC. Howard was hurt last year and he laid down... He is a huge baby and he totally derailed his coach and his team. He is very easy to root against.

But he will be motivated now; he will be engaged. And let's not forget that when engaged he has led a so-so roster to the conference finals and NBA Finals.

Yes, the Lakers DO have an answer for RW now.... Howard. He is ten times more of basket protector than Bynum--- he is as dominant a center defensively as you will ever see. And we have NO ONE to take him away from the paint. He does not need to guard Perk.

Nash-Kobe-Pau-Howard is sick. Just sick. It's a great fit because Kobe can still take most of the shots--- Nash and Howard are effective without shooting. Metta really played well against us last year and Jamison will give them some bench scoring.

It's a bad day for us OKC fans.

Perk will guard Howard one on one as anyone can, but the problem is that Perk's liability on offense will be greatly exposed by the Lakers now. Bynum was not a rim protector. He was no real threat to slow RW or Harden down on drives. But now, when Perk is out there, Howard can totally ignore him and shift his focus to staying near the basket. He also defends the pick and roll very well. Nash has no prayer of guarding any of our guys, but next year Howard will cover him much of the time. Conversely, last year RW did not need to expend any energy on defense and could gamble. Now, if he sags off Nash, he will get burned.

I would like to inject the GMs of the Suns and Magic with a truth serum and ask them WHAT they were thinking. If one believes in conspiracy theories, one could only conclude that there is some sort of league agreement preventing the Fakers from being subject to the same boom and bust cycles as every other team in the NBA - and this is not JUST because they're in a big market (the Knicks, Clippers, and Nets are in big markets and they've been irrelevant for LOOOOOONNGGGG stretches of time).

I have not conceded anything to the Fakers - I would NEVER do that. But no one can objectively say they haven't gotten much better this summer against considerable odds, and that makes the Thunder's path to the championship tougher.

God, I HATE the Fakers!

I have no doubt that Nash wanted the Lakers all along but knew that he would have to take a massive pay cut to go there so he pleaded with Phoenix to make a sign and trade to take advantage of the Laker trade exception.

They’re poachers. They sense weakness in a market, presumably lowball the owner and end up flipping the product for extended playoff runs.

Grey Spurfan
08-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Mainly because 90% of Lakerfans in general don't have a clue who Capt. Jack, Boris Diaw, and Patty Mills are, tbh... :lol

More like lakerfans just love to talk shit no matter what lol. That's what u should say and it actually is true. I stay in southern cal and a little over a year and a half ago some lakerfan came over to bother me cause I had a spurs T on. After a few times I tried to let him know he was barking up the wrong tree, I put his ass to sleep and left him right there where I found him and walked right out the bar. Lol

Koolaid_Man
08-11-2012, 02:53 PM
More like lakerfans just love to talk shit no matter what lol. That's what u should say and it actually is true. I stay in southern cal and a little over a year and a half ago some lakerfan came over to bother me cause I had a spurs T on. After a few times I tried to let him know he was barking up the wrong tree, I put his ass to sleep and left him right there where I found him and walked right out the bar. Lol

you just love telling that fake ass story every chance you get huh?...this is like the 3rd time I've heard you popping off...keep that shit up and I will pay Tyson and Taco Meat $5 a piece to put in some work on my behalf...:lol

Clipper Nation
08-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Real Thunder Fans speak out:

http://orangelic.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/tumbleweed.jpg

Fixed that for you, B...

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 03:52 PM

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Great quotes Kool. I especially like the one about WB being able to gamble on D (basically resting) and the one about OKC not having anyone to take D12 out of the paint. Nash has to be guarded. He's crafty with the rock in his hand. A true triple threat. We'll treat Perkins like we used to treat Rondo. D12's PNR D is top notch and he protects the rim like the Dream used to. Simply put: OKC in trouble.

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 04:20 PM
http://www.easymemes.com/uploads/memes/23851_a9pLtvz3iT91B8C.jpg

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:00 PM
We have to be honest. Laker fans as well.

There are 2 NBA's, the big markets, and the smaller ones. Other than a few exceptions (read: Duncan to the Spurs, Nash to Phoenix), the big market teams (read: Lakers) always try getting the best combination of players. I personally didn't think this was going to happen - I don't think anyone wants a 2nd Gasol-Kobe thing happening, for obvious reasons - it takes the competitiveness out of the game.

Lakers was garbage between the time Shaq left LA and Gasol went over there for peanuts. I consider the Bynun-D-Ho trade bogus. You can't compare those 2 players. The same was said about the Gasol trade.

Somehow rules are bent when it comes to loading up the Lakers. I thought the same thing when they were trying to land CP3.

I believe the NBA is finished as long as this type of trades are allowed - this isn't about players wanting or hoping to play in LA since before they are born. This is a business, and LA has a lot of muscle and clout. Perhaps more than any other team. It is a huge advantage that - again, in my opinion - minimizes their accomplishment.

I know, it hurts...

baseline bum
08-11-2012, 05:04 PM
^ Occupy Staples son.

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 05:16 PM
We have to be honest. Laker fans as well.

There are 2 NBA's, the big markets, and the smaller ones. Other than a few exceptions (read: Duncan to the Spurs, Nash to Phoenix), the big market teams (read: Lakers) always try getting the best combination of players. I personally didn't think this was going to happen - I don't think anyone wants a 2nd Gasol-Kobe thing happening, for obvious reasons - it takes the competitiveness out of the game.

Lakers was garbage between the time Shaq left LA and Gasol went over there for peanuts. I consider the Bynun-D-Ho trade bogus. You can't compare those 2 players. The same was said about the Gasol trade.

Somehow rules are bent when it comes to loading up the Lakers. I thought the same thing when they were trying to land CP3.

I believe the NBA is finished as long as this type of trades are allowed - this isn't about players wanting or hoping to play in LA since before they are born. This is a business, and LA has a lot of muscle and clout. Perhaps more than any other team. It is a huge advantage that - again, in my opinion - minimizes their accomplishment.

I know, it hurts...

It's a combination of factors:

- Location. Location. Location. Sunny beaches. Groupies. LA nightlife.
- Winning tradition. Like you said, players grow up dreaming of playing for LA. Blame Showtime
- The Logo has taught MK well. Really well. The Lakers go after disgruntled stars. Then they poach on lottery picks that don't pan out to augment their stars. They don't make moves for the sake of making moves.
- Sound business decisions. $5B TWC TV deal, sold out Staples, merchandising, endorsements and RS/playoff concessions/ticket sales all offsets luxury taxes.

There's more, but blame inept GMs and owners that look out for their bottom line rather than putting out a quality product on the floor.

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:17 PM
It's a combination of factors:

- Location. Location. Location. Sunny beaches. Groupies. LA nightlife.
- Winning tradition. Like you said, players grow up dreaming of playing for LA. Blame Showtime
- The Logo has taught MK well. Really well. The Lakers go after disgruntled stars. Then they poach on lottery picks that don't pan out to augment their stars. They don't make moves for the sake of making moves.
- Sound business decisions. $3M TWC TV deal, sold out Staples, merchandising, endorsements and RS/playoff concessions/ticket sales all offsets luxury taxes.

There's more, but blame inept GMs and owners that look out for their bottom line rather than putting out a quality product on the floor.

Agreed, though I think its more the CBA (and by extension NBA) is setup to give disproportionate advantages to larger markets (or at least it continues to since many of the penalties haven't taken effect yet).

For the casual fan, its hard to reconcile how a team like the Lakers, who were over the cap at $63,179,384 with only Pau, Kobe, Bynum, MWP, Steve Blake, Mcroberts, and Eyenga at the start of free agency, are able to pick up an All-star PG in Nash (at $10 million a season), the most dominant center in DH (at $20 million a season), along with a few decent role players like Jamison and Meeks by only giving up Bynum and draft picks that at best will be in the mid-to-high 20s.

It would be hard to accept any team that is already over the cap improving their team with $40 million in additional salary when other teams are being hit with a $74 million hard cap due to the exceptions they use. The fact that the Lakers, while over the cap, were able to add nearly $40 million more in salary this coming season is frustrating. But the owners wanted more money not parity for the league, or else they wouldn't have settled for a system that enabled the Lakers to have a $100 million dollar payroll.

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 05:17 PM
$3M TWC TV deal

:nope :nope :nope

Bitch get your math right please, it's $5bn.

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 05:18 PM
^ Occupy Staples son.

Clippers have been there since it opened. Dr. Buss v. Sterling. Logo/MK v. Baylor. Nuff said.

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 05:18 PM
:nope :nope :nope

Bitch get your math right please, it's $5bn.

:lol - editing...

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm pretty sure there have been many $100+ million rosters...but I do agree with you that the pressure will be extremely high on the Lakers to produce a championship.

But at the same time, who cares? These are the Lakers....the team who can just open up their pocket book and have an endless supply of players willing to play for them. If this was the Spurs who went out and purchased a roster like this, they'd go bankrupt if the team didn't produce a championship....this is not the case for the Lakers.

Large markets have an inherent advantage...someone is trying to sell you fool's gold if they say otherwise.

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Large markets have a huge advantage indeed. That cable deal I was correcting LkrFan about, there is no way in hell that the Lakers would get that if they were not in Los Angeles.

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Laker fans already anointing their team as 2013 champs is a big step when taking on a center who has no game w/o relying on athletic ability in a situation where he is coming off an operation on his back from a herniated disk.

I said this months ago, but Howard will be bothered by that back the rest of his career. The Lakers took a big risk dealing Bynum to take him imo.

Even when he was 100% healthy, he had a hard time staying out of foul trouble...I want to see him move at game speed before I am a believer.

Overrated trade until he proves the back is good. If he proves it is, it was a good addition, but it is a big IF.

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:23 PM

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm cautious because this has happened before. But bitch let me enjoy having Kobe, Pau, Nash and Dwight on one team

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:24 PM
No...but Kobe & Nash are in their 16th... and certainly not in their primes either.

& Prime Shaq > Prime Howard.

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Agreed, though I think its more the CBA (and by extension NBA) is setup to give disproportionate advantages to larger markets (or at least it continues to since many of the penalties haven't taken effect yet).

For the casual fan, its hard to reconcile how a team like the Lakers, who were over the cap at $63,179,384 with only Pau, Kobe, Bynum, MWP, Steve Blake, Mcroberts, and Eyenga at the start of free agency, are able to pick up an All-star PG in Nash (at $10 million a season), the most dominant center in DH (at $20 million a season), along with a few decent role players like Jamison and Meeks by only giving up Bynum and draft picks that at best will be in the mid-to-high 20s.

It would be hard to accept any team that is already over the cap improving their team with $40 million in additional salary when other teams are being hit with a $74 million hard cap due to the exceptions they use. The fact that the Lakers, while over the cap, were able to add nearly $40 million more in salary this coming season is frustrating. But the owners wanted more money not parity for the league, or else they wouldn't have settled for a system that enabled the Lakers to have a $100 million dollar payroll.
Lakers' ownership is ran by the Buss family, but the minority owner - Mr. Phillip Anschutz - is worth $7B. Be lucky he's not the majority owner. Those "lean years" post Shaq would have been worse for Non-Laker fans. At least Dr. Buss is leery of the luxury tax - unless he senses a disgruntled superstar wants out that is. I highly doubt that Mr. Anschutz would care about it. :lol

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm pretty sure there have been many $100+ million rosters...but I do agree with you that the pressure will be extremely high on the Lakers to produce a championship.

But at the same time, who cares? These are the Lakers....the team who can just open up their pocket book and have an endless supply of players willing to play for them. If this was the Spurs who went out and purchased a roster like this, they'd go bankrupt if the team didn't produce a championship....this is not the case for the Lakers.

Large markets have an inherent advantage...someone is trying to sell you fool's gold if they say otherwise.

$2 playoff tickets tbh. :rollin

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Lakers' ownership is ran by the Buss family, but the minority owner - Mr. Phillip Anschutz - is worth $7B. Be lucky he's not the majority owner. Those "lean years" post Shaq would have been worse for Non-Laker fans. At least Dr. Buss is leery of the luxury tax - unless he senses a disgruntled superstar wants out that is. I highly doubt that Mr. Anschutz would care about it. :lol

This Lakers team is a monster,........ in 2009.
Age, injuries, and poor perimeter defense will be the biggest problem for this team. They are primed to be ousted by a jump shooting, lower seed. On offense, teams will go at Nash. On defense, they will foul Howard to keep the offense out of sync. I also will be shocked if Nash can make it through the entire season. Gasol will be lost in the shuffle. The final question is how will they convince Kobe to take less than 20 contested shots a game?

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:30 PM
You gotta understand that anytime a superstar wants out, and makes it publicly known, you're simply not going to get anything close to fair market value.

The Magic knew this and for some reason decided to draw out the process as long as they could. That's their fault, but to be honest I'm not sure I would have really taken the Nets offer either. Lopez is mediocre and the last thing they want at this point is to be saddled by a large contract for a player they don't want. They have enough of those already.

My main criticism for the Magic is them not finding a way to dump Turkolugu in the process. Howard is at least worth that IMHO, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Laker fans already anointing their team as 2013 champs is a big step when taking on a center who has no game w/o relying on athletic ability in a situation where he is coming off an operation on his back from a herniated disk.

I said this months ago, but Howard will be bothered by that back the rest of his career. The Lakers took a big risk dealing Bynum to take him imo.

Even when he was 100% healthy, he had a hard time staying out of foul trouble...I want to see him move at game speed before I am a believer.

Overrated trade until he proves the back is good. If he proves it is, it was a good addition, but it is a big IF.

El - the Lakers did their homework. From world famous LG:

Just listened to Dr. Robert Klapper, chief of orthopedic surgery at Cedar Sinai and ESPN 710's resident expert.

Some highlights:

1. From an orthopedic surgery standpoint he would much rather have Dwight's back than Andrew's knees.

2. The knees have a much more "chronic injury" issue than Dwight's back which is an "acute injury" that can be repaired with very little sequelae.

3. After surgery, you can't play basketball and engage in any heavy physical activity for 4 months.

Why?

Because the injury is a disc herniation: a small amount of the nucleus pulposus or the "shock absorber" of the disc got squeezed out. It is a VERY SMALL amount. You get rid of the "squirted out" material with a 1 inch incision under a microscope.

There is a 5-10 percent chance that returning to physical activity too early could herniate more material. That's obviously not good because you've reherniated the disc and have to remove more of the extruded disc.

Bear in mind that Dwight was fully recovered, pain free, and ready to work out probably a few weeks after surgery (it is only 1 inch incision after all). BUT returning to physical activity too early gets you that 5-10 percent chance. Keep in mind that means there is a 90 to 95% chance that if he came back after only a month or so he would be fine.

But he is Dwight Howard and so they are being super, super cautious.

4. He had surgery 04/20/2012 which means he should be able to resume training, weights, basketball activity, etc around 08/20/2012 if everything goes according to schedule and he feels no pain, etc.

5. Per Dr. Klapper, based on that schedule Dwight should be ready for opening night (10/30/2012). He'll have 2 months to get his conditioning back. Again assuming he recovers as expected and at his age and conditioning there should be NO REASON for any setbacks.

6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.

7. By way, reading some medical papers addressing the effects of laminectomy on NBA athletes, those papers support Dr. Klapper's assertion that Dwight should be back as good as new.

8. That should answer the question why teams are still willing to kill themselves to get Dwight Howard despite this "back injury" issue. It's a non-issue moving forward. Also why he and his agent are very comfortable not extending and waiting for the end of the season to sign a new max contract. They know, all-world BEAST 3x DPOY Howard is coming back this year. With Stephen A interview, Dwight pointed out that he absolutely felt he could have won a 4th straight DPOY if he had been fully healthy. He's ready to come back and remind everyone who he is on the basketball floor. Trust me, he may be smiling but this whole Dwightmare did affect him and he's going to playing with an edge, especially on defense.

The most dominant defensive force in the NBA basically feels disrespected and the league has NO IDEA what is coming down on them from the 5 slot.

Summary: If everything goes according to schedule, we should hear something by the end of August that Dwight is starting to work out again on the court, lifting, running etc.

Chances are good that he'll be ready for the start of the season.

Chances overwhelmingly good that there will be no lasting effect from this particular injury.

Final point: He played with a lot of pain and discomfort when the incompetent, dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms." He said it was more pain than he had ever experienced since he was in the league.

That's why the thing that hurt him personally the most in the media was that he was faking an injury and quitting on his team. He put up All-Star numbers last year playing with a herniated disc.

When I think of Bynum taking plays and games off and openly admitting it while Dwight is still putting up the numbers he did with an injury that ultimately required surgery and in a toxic, destructive environment . . . I think there is no doubt the sort of heart and work ethic Dwight is going to bring to our team.

Hope all of this is a bit reassuring.

No way in hell they trade Bynum - who is about to blow up - without assurances that D12 will be fine long term.

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:34 PM
El - the Lakers did their homework. From world famous LG:

No way in hell they trade Bynum - who is about to blow up - without assurances that D12 will be fine long term.

Bullshit. Lakers always seem to get whoever the hell they want! Then I always have to hear the Spurs are getting a second round draft pick, or some player that was good like 10 years ago.It's all bullshit. For once I'd like to hear the Spurs got someone in the midst of they're prime, another star player. Seems like it'll never happen tbh.

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
This Lakers team is a monster,........ in 2009.
Age, injuries, and poor perimeter defense will be the biggest problem for this team. They are primed to be ousted by a jump shooting, lower seed. On offense, teams will go at Nash. On defense, they will foul Howard to keep the offense out of sync. I also will be shocked if Nash can make it through the entire season. Gasol will be lost in the shuffle. The final question is how will they convince Kobe to take less than 20 contested shots a game?

You are reaching El, but I don't blame you. :toast

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Bullshit. Lakers always seem to get whoever the hell they want! Then I always have to hear the Spurs are getting a second round draft pick, or some player that was good like 10 years ago.It's all bullshit. For once I'd like to hear the Spurs got someone in the midst of they're prime, another star player. Seems like it'll never happen tbh.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:36 PM
You are reaching El, but I don't blame you. :toast

i don't understand why the nuggets facilitated this trade. sure they get a little bit better, but they just created another monster they have to play every playoffs. no chance in hell they will be able to get past the lakers. why even better your team if you make your conference rival even stronger? there's no point, they will still be a second round exit.

Venti Quattro
08-11-2012, 05:39 PM
You fuckers have good eidetic memories or you bookmark a shit ton of posts. I read good or funny posts, leave them and then forget where they were posted.

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:41 PM
You fuckers have good eidetic memories or you bookmark a shit ton of posts. I read good or funny posts, leave them and then forget where they were posted.

:lol I'm just going backwards through this thread:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202099

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 05:44 PM

I thought you guys should have traded TD after 2007 and try to reload like the Lakers did with Shaq. Sure the Lakers sucked until Pau came, but in hindsight it was the right thing to do: :lobt::lobt: They may have squeezed another title out of Shaq/Kobe, but I doubt it.

Trade TD and build around TP and Manu like the Lakers did with Kobe. Would it pan out like it did for the Lakers? Who knows, but instead, you guys decided to re-up TD for 3 more years out of loyalty. What happens after he finally retires? Who do you build around?

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:45 PM
I thought you guys should have traded TD after 2007 and try to reload like the Lakers did with Shaq. Sure the Lakers sucked until Pau came, but in hindsight it was the right thing to do: :lobt::lobt: They may have squeezed another title out of Shaq/Kobe, but I doubt it.

Trade TD and build around TP and Manu like the Lakers did with Kobe. Would it pan out like it did for the Lakers? Who knows, but instead, you guys decided to re-up TD for 3 more years out of loyalty. What happens after he finally retires? Who do you build around?

they might as well had sent him to the rockets and I don't buy the whole people going to Lakers cause they grew up watching them because Magic should have sent Howard to whoever would have taken him who would have given them the best deal, Howard didn't walk away like Shaq did, he was traded there and they didn't bring in Bynum. This trade makes no sense and the 1st round picks according to Stephen A. are protectd, what is that. This screams dumb and stupid which leaves me assking, what is really going on behind the scenes. No one makes this deal even a novice could have done a better deal but major execs did this, something stinks as always, within sports.

LkrFan
08-11-2012, 05:46 PM
i don't understand why the nuggets facilitated this trade. sure they get a little bit better, but they just created another monster they have to play every playoffs. no chance in hell they will be able to get past the lakers. why even better your team if you make your conference rival even stronger? there's no point, they will still be a second round exit.
The Nuggs will be at least a 5-seed this year, but I agree with you here. I'm not complaining though. :lol

ElNono
08-11-2012, 05:46 PM
anyways, back to sleeping dogs, tbh

baseline bum
08-11-2012, 05:52 PM
The Nuggs will be at least a 5-seed this year, but I agree with you here. I'm not complaining though. :lol

Iguodala gives them a great shot to get another 2-4 home playoff games by making them a good bet to reach the second round. Especially when old teams like the Spurs and Mavs could fall off the cliff at any time and with the Grizzlies backpedaling and the Clippers constantly injured.

Clipper Nation
04-28-2013, 08:10 PM
But bitch let me enjoy having Kobe, Pau, Nash and Dwight on one team
Pretty enjoyable season, huh? :lol

baseline bum
04-28-2013, 08:13 PM

Damn, GNSF was right? :lol

I'll never doubt upstairs again. :lmao

lefty
06-27-2013, 03:53 AM
BB shitting on Venti Quattro :lol

MeloHype
06-27-2013, 04:20 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Nicolas-Cage-Laugh.gif

Juggity
06-27-2013, 09:24 AM

:wow

ElNono
06-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Basestradamus with the goods