PDA

View Full Version : Dream Team >>>>>>> 2012 team....more convinced

lebomb
08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
I watched the Dream Team Documentary, and they showed the games back then.............it was like the gotdayum globetrotters. No look passes, alley oops at will, behind the back passes.......confetti thrown into the crowd and shit. The Dream Team whooped ass without even breakin a sweat...winning games by an avg. of almost 40pts. Its like they had no challenge what so ever. Imagine if they would have put in a half assed effort. This 2012 team (no friggen way Im callin em dream anything....other than they are dreamin if they thing they could beat the Dream Team) would lose by 25pts easily to the DT. Just Sayin...........

Now that being said............Durant and Lebron are beasts. They could have made the Dream Team. Replaced Laettner and Mullins.

Lincoln
08-13-2012, 12:58 PM
:lmao utsa

lebomb
08-13-2012, 12:59 PM

Eat a dick

baseline bum
08-13-2012, 01:00 PM

vander
08-13-2012, 01:03 PM
there weren't NBA players on the other teams back then

you could put the Gasol Bros on the USA team and Spain would still be a tougher opponent than anyone the dream team played

lebomb
08-13-2012, 01:03 PM
You eat his dick

lebomb
08-13-2012, 01:04 PM
there weren't NBA players on the other teams back then

you could put the Gasol Bros on the USA team and Spain would still be a tougher opponent than anyone the dream team played

Actually there were...........maybe not as many. But the fact still, the DT was in cruise control. No effort. I was laughing watching them play.

pass1st
08-13-2012, 01:04 PM

lebomb
08-13-2012, 01:09 PM
You eat both their dicks

Venti Quattro
08-13-2012, 01:11 PM

jeebus
08-13-2012, 01:16 PM

lefty
08-13-2012, 02:06 PM
I watched the Dream Team Documentary, and they showed the games back then.............it was like the gotdayum globetrotters. No look passes, alley oops at will, behind the back passes.......confetti thrown into the crowd and shit. The Dream Team whooped ass without even breakin a sweat...winning games by an avg. of almost 40pts. Its like they had no challenge what so ever. Imagine if they would have put in a half assed effort. This 2012 team (no friggen way Im callin em dream anything....other than they are dreamin if they thing they could beat the Dream Team) would lose by 25pts easily to the DT. Just Sayin...........

http://www.meydansozluk.com/gorsel-buyuk/30686/thank+you+captain+obvious

stretch
08-13-2012, 02:07 PM

There is a reason the Dream Team whooped up on teams so effortlessly... the competition mostly were of the quality of high school basketball teams, and perhaps worse in some cases.

Spain on the other hand is quality enough to be a solid NBA team, probably a playoff team in the NBA even. They have a very high quality front line of both Gasol's and Ibaka, as well as quite a few other NBA level players in Fernandez, Calderon, and Navarro.

Argentina is no joke either with their share of quality NBA players on the team.

I still think Dream Team would win against 2012 in a 7 game series, but it would be a hard fought series. To think they would win by 25+ each game easily, you are a fucking moron.

Also, keep in mind that these are teams playing with international rules and styles... 2012 IMO played the international style better than the Dream Team did. The Dream Team were simply too big and good for anyone (due to lack of competition) and could force their style on anyone. But with the competition this team faced, at times they had to play an international style of ball, and with all the shooters and passers that the 2012 team has, I'd say they are a better "international" style of team.

lol utsa

lebomb
08-13-2012, 02:26 PM
There is a reason the Dream Team whooped up on teams so effortlessly... the competition mostly were of the quality of high school basketball teams, and perhaps worse in some cases.

Spain on the other hand is quality enough to be a solid NBA team, probably a playoff team in the NBA even. They have a very high quality front line of both Gasol's and Ibaka, as well as quite a few other NBA level players in Fernandez, Calderon, and Navarro.

Argentina is no joke either with their share of quality NBA players on the team.

I still think Dream Team would win against 2012 in a 7 game series, but it would be a hard fought series. To think they would win by 25+ each game easily, you are a fucking moron.

Also, keep in mind that these are teams playing with international rules and styles... 2012 IMO played the international style better than the Dream Team did. The Dream Team were simply too big and good for anyone (due to lack of competition) and could force their style on anyone. But with the competition this team faced, at times they had to play an international style of ball, and with all the shooters and passers that the 2012 team has, I'd say they are a better "international" style of team.

lol utsa

I will give you ONE team that was easily as stacked as Spain. I dont even need to look at any other..........Croatia had NBA players on the team back then. Toni Kukoc, Drazen Petrovic,Dino Rada, Predrag Danilouic, Zarko Pasparj........and they still got their asses kicked by 32 in the gold medal game.

stretch
08-13-2012, 05:27 PM
I will give you ONE team that was easily as stacked as Spain. I dont even need to look at any other..........Croatia had NBA players on the team back then. Toni Kukoc, Drazen Petrovic,Dino Rada, Predrag Danilouic, Zarko Pasparj........and they still got their asses kicked by 32 in the gold medal game.

:lmao

what a fucking dumbass you are

Kukoc was a decent player, Petrovic had potential but never fully developed, and then of course had his most unfortunate accident.

but not even remotely comparable to this Spain team

stretch
08-13-2012, 05:27 PM
lol utsa

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-13-2012, 05:29 PM
The Spain team is overall better but Petrovich would easily be the best player on this current Spain team.

stretch
08-13-2012, 05:40 PM
The Spain team is overall better but Petrovich would easily be the best player on this current Spain team.

Best? Arguable, and I won't take issue with that at all.

Easily? Certainly not. Pau can definitely make a good case there.

Not to mention, there is only one glaring weakness with the 2012 team, and that's their interior defense, which is mainly due to the fact that Dwight and many other big men either refused to play or were hurt and couldn't play.

Spain had two legit big men post scorers that could hurt 2012. I don't think Petrovic would have had nearly as much success as they were able to have, with guys like Lebron, Kobe and Iguodala chasing him around.

Latarian Milton
08-13-2012, 07:10 PM
guys are fucking stupid if they think 2012 team would have a chance to beat the dream team under FIBA rules imho. under NBA rules they may have a chance since the current NBA rules favor monkey balls and under such rules mobility is more important than size. nonetheless here's olympic games we're talking about where FIBA rules are applied instead of NBA ones, and where you definitely have a huge advantage if your bigs are better than the opposing team.

2012 team's interior D is pretty weak and coach K did nothing but worsening the situation by playing bron/melo in the paint, how he managed to convince himself to use such a midget lineup is still beyond me tbh. TC is like their only battling big by FIBA standards and yet he was underused as boozer on the previous olympic. if you got a team of similar overall talent level that has some quality bigs (like the dream team) , the 2012 team would get curbstomped anyday of the week

team US just be too good for spain to ever have a chance beating, though they put up a good fight

Latarian Milton
08-13-2012, 07:29 PM

lol utsa

you gotta be sarcastic otherwise we don't see how 2012 team plays the international style better than dream team tbh. its true that spain is a tougher opponent than any team the dream team faced & curbstomped in barcelona but the dream team would've still beat this team with a comfortable margin like 20pts or something, as opposed to having a tied game after 3 quarters. i think if the refs didn't blow that many bullshit calls and the espanol bigs could play the rest of game w/o carrying 3 or 4 personal fouls, the game would've probably been a one-shot game that could've gone either way imho. it was an unconvincing win for team US tbh

TC and Love are like the only players on this team who primarily play PF/C in NBA games imho, there's no defensive 3sec rule in FIBA games IIRC so the bigs can stand right there clogging up the lane and make life much tougher for the slashers. US got really lucky to escape with da gold and i ain't being an america hater or something like manny, drachen, gaycob1983 and other dipshits tbh

jbspurs
08-13-2012, 08:59 PM
All I can say is the 2012 Dreaming team will complain and whine about the Physical play of Dream Team.

stretch
08-13-2012, 10:12 PM
All I can say is the 2012 Dreaming team will complain and whine about the Physical play of Dream Team.

You are talking about a team with Michael Jordan on it, who got more phantom calls than any player in NBA history.

And I'm not sure how that affects the outcome...

KoolAid Mans Brother
08-13-2012, 10:15 PM

stretch
08-13-2012, 10:18 PM
you gotta be sarcastic otherwise we don't see how 2012 team plays the international style better than dream team tbh. its true that spain is a tougher opponent than any team the dream team faced & curbstomped in barcelona but the dream team would've still beat this team with a comfortable margin like 20pts or something, as opposed to having a tied game after 3 quarters. i think if the refs didn't blow that many bullshit calls and the espanol bigs could play the rest of game w/o carrying 3 or 4 personal fouls, the game would've probably been a one-shot game that could've gone either way imho. it was an unconvincing win for team US tbh

TC and Love are like the only players on this team who primarily play PF/C in NBA games imho, there's no defensive 3sec rule in FIBA games IIRC so the bigs can stand right there clogging up the lane and make life much tougher for the slashers. US got really lucky to escape with da gold and i ain't being an america hater or something like manny, drachen, gaycob1983 and other dipshits tbh

Are you kidding me? The refs were bullshit both ways. They were calling some serious garbage against US, including a number of and-1 plays for Gasol in the second half that didn't help the US either.

Pelicans78
08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
No way this current team would match up well with the Dream Team.

Obviously the Dream Team would manhandle them in the paint. But even the perimeter matchup is close. Jordan and Pippen are two of the best defenders in history. No one on the current team could guard Jordan. Stockton and Magic are probably better than this team's PGs. The bench for the Dream Team was much better as well. Most of the Dream Team players were in their prime.

The 2008 team was better than this current team. They would matchup well with the Dream Team.

HeatChamps
08-13-2012, 10:34 PM
2012 Team is too quick for the 1992 team. Also Durant will have a field day of 3's.

Pelicans78
08-13-2012, 10:43 PM
2012 Team is too quick for the 1992 team. Also Durant will have a field day of 3's.

Bullshit. Pippen and Jordan were great perimeter defenders. They could hold their own against Durant.

In the end, the frontcourt would score at well. Robinson, Ewing, Malone, Barkley. Enough said.

HeatChamps
08-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Malone or Barkley would be guarding Durant I believe due to the matchups. Unless they them on Lebron. If they do, Lebron would have a field day.

Pelicans78
08-13-2012, 10:44 PM
And the worst argument is thinking that since the current team faces better competition, it means they would have a chance against the Dream Team. The Dream Team would smash the other current teams.

Pelicans78
08-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Malone or Barkley would be guarding Durant I believe due to the matchups. Unless they them on Lebron. If they do, Lebron would have a field day.

They would equally punish Lebron or Durant in the paint. Not to mention what the centers would do.

Plus, the Dream Team could go small as well with Pippen, Jordan, Drexler, Magic, etc.

dunkman
08-13-2012, 10:49 PM
This team had two close games, one vs Lithuania another the finals vs Spain. Long gone are the times when the US could blow out every team. That being said, the dream team had superior talent and with equivalent training would have won easily vs the actual team.

Latarian Milton
08-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Are you kidding me? The refs were bullshit both ways. They were calling some serious garbage against US, including a number of and-1 plays for Gasol in the second half that didn't help the US either.

the number of bullshit calls each team got might be equal, but the impact not when US squad is deep as fuck vs. espana who only have 5-6 NBA-caliber players. remove the best 5 guys off US squad and the rest would still dominate the tournament, but if spain's best 5 are removed they're even shittier than china maybe.

stretch
08-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Obviously the Dream Team would manhandle them in the paint. But even the perimeter matchup is close. Jordan and Pippen are two of the best defenders in history. No one on the current team could guard Jordan. Stockton and Magic are probably better than this team's PGs. The bench for the Dream Team was much better as well. Most of the Dream Team players were in their prime.

revisionist history

I still think 92 > 12, but not as much as people suggest.

The 2008 team was better than this current team. They would matchup well with the Dream Team.

They weren't better. Durant alone makes a huge difference there, as well as the general maturity of the team being better, especially Lebron. He was exactly whatever this team needed him to be, whether a rebounder, defender, post scorer, junk scorer, shooter, etc... everytime the team needed something (especially clutch buckets), he provided it at will.

The only reason they match up better is because they had Howard. Unfortunately for this team, he was hurt at the time.

stretch
08-13-2012, 11:43 PM
the number of bullshit calls each team got might be equal, but the impact not when US squad is deep as fuck vs. espana who only have 5-6 NBA-caliber players. remove the best 5 guys off US squad and the rest would still dominate the tournament, but if spain's best 5 are removed they're even shittier than china maybe.

Point was, shitty officiating was not in favor of Spain. They got a lot of shit calls their way too. Don't act like it was one sided.

DeadlyDynasty
08-13-2012, 11:49 PM

Leetonidas
08-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Fuck, Shaq should've been there instead of Laettner

mavs>spurs
08-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Bullshit. Pippen and Jordan were great perimeter defenders. They could hold their own against Durant.

In the end, the frontcourt would score at well. Robinson, Ewing, Malone, Barkley. Enough said.

I don't think Jordan could. Reason being, Wade in my opinion is the 2nd best 2guard defender of all time and he was basically wearing durants jersey every time he guarded him, played the most perfect defense you could possibly play and durant simply shot right over the top of him.

Now pippen..he would be the toughest matchup durant has ever had to face. I'm fairly certain he could make him work for his shots.

TDMVPDPOY
08-14-2012, 12:05 AM
this years DT, lacks inside presence and they had trouble once foul trouble got into play...

chandler, love, davis...lmao

Latarian Milton
08-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Point was, shitty officiating was not in favor of Spain. They got a lot of shit calls their way too. Don't act like it was one sided.

i think if marc hadn't got his 4th personal foul since as early as the 2nd quarter we wouldn't have seen such garbage like reyes playing that much time imho. the calls themselves didn't favor neither side but spain suffered more damage from shitty officiating which's obvious when their best battlers had to play most of the 2nd half carrying 3-4 personal fouls each. with the depth US had they could even play hack-a-shaq and still end up winning

you know we ain't criticizing them refs for some random bullshit calls, but the fact that they blew the whistle way too often tbh.

HeatChamps
08-14-2012, 01:06 AM
this years DT, lacks inside presence and they had trouble once foul trouble got into play...

chandler, love, davis...lmao
This years team was better when they went small. Exploited more matchups. Incredibly quick and good from outside.

monosylab1k
08-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Bill Simmon's take:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8264283/olympic-mega-bag

Q: Why haven't you taken the time to sit down and thoroughly dissect the chances of the 2012 Olympic team beating the 1992 team? Isn't it tempting? Kobe vs. Jordan, LeBron vs. everyone else, even the two college kids and who impacted the team more! I need someone with real basketball knowledge to tackle this, not talking heads.
— Melvin, Boston

SG: Melvin, your effective guilt trip shamed me into a response. 1992 vs. 2012 … hmmmmm … sounds like the perfect topic for our second Dr. Jack Breakdown of the month!

WHICH TEAM WAS MICHAEL JORDAN ON?

The original Dream Team featured the greatest basketball player of all time at his absolute mega-apex. To be clear, "mega-apex" isn't a word. You can't have a mega-apex. In the summer of 1992, however, Jordan was experiencing a mega-apex. Nobody has ever been better at basketball than Michael Jordan in 1992 — he submitted the rich man's version of the year LeBron just wrapped up (right down to the hardware). He also happened to be homicidally competitive, quite possibly the most ruthless athlete in the history of team sports. Jordan loved beating people so much that he couldn't stop doing it. He had to beat people at everything: golf, poker, half-court shots, even whose bag came out first in baggage claim.

So if we're having a hypothetical "1992 vs. 2012" conversation, that means we're convening the Dream Team in August of 1992 and telling them, "Hey, fellas? We just built you a time machine. We're traveling 20 years into the future so you can play America's 2012 team — these guys are really good; more than a few people even think they can beat you guys."

That's when 1992 Michael tries to fight off a sarcastic smirk and says, "Really? I'd love to hear more. Tell me a little about these guys."

"Well, they have someone named LeBron who's the best basketball player since you. They have someone named Durant who's an even better shooter than Bird in his prime. They have a guy named Kobe who's probably the best 2-guard since you — he's near the end of his career, though. Their point guards are really good. They have incredible outside shooting — the 3-point line is too short for them. And they're extremely athletic."

That's when Michael says, "Sounds interesting. Who are their centers?"

"Well, that's their weak spot — they don't really have any centers. They don't have a low-post game at all. Or anyone to protect the rim. They basically play small ball and shoot 3s."

And that's when Michael starts laughing, asks for directions to the time machine, and wonders aloud if his golf clubs will make it through time travel. So much for our Dr. Jack Breakdown.

(Important note: Had Dwight Howard played this summer, you might have been able to coerce me into a "1992 vs. 2012" discussion. But after watching Pau Gasol pick open the 2012 team's small-ball scab with a shrimp fork for two hours, it's just not happening — we can't waste 6,000 words wondering if Tyson Chandler, Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony and LeBron could have handled Barkley, Malone, Robinson and Ewing down low, much less if their teammates could have slowed down Jordan and Scottie during the most devastating two-way peak of their alliance. The 1992 team wasn't losing to a gimmick like small ball. And 1992 MJ wasn't losing, period. Let's just move on before I get pissy.)

monosylab1k
08-14-2012, 10:36 AM
After what the Gasol brothers did to Team USA, there's no way in hell they could do anything at all about Barkley/Malone/Ewing/Robinson. Jordan wouldn't even need to score, he and Pippen would just need to lockdown LeBron/Durant. And if they just focus all their energy on defense, they absolutely would do it. Durant is still soft and still folds like a pussy against a physical defender, so with Pippen on him, he's shut down. Jordan on LeBron would be tougher, MJ couldn't shut him down but he could at least limit his effectiveness. The only advantage the 2012 team has is at point guard.

Axe Murderer
08-14-2012, 10:53 AM
It wouldn't be a blood bath but the 92 team probably would win by 15-20 points

Blake
08-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Eat a dick

You eat his dick

You eat both their dicks

smh utsa

lebomb
08-14-2012, 11:04 AM
smh utsa

You are a dick

Blake
08-14-2012, 11:12 AM
You are a dick

Eat me

stretch
08-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Jordan would consistently get eaten alive by guys like Clyde, Nique, and Penny, yet somehow he is supposed to be counted on to contain Lebron? And Pippen is supposed to shut down Durant, when Durant on this team gets basically all of his shots off of kickouts and off of screens? Physical defense hurts Durant, but not as much as it used to, and he is playing a very different style of ball with this team. He's not counted on to do much else than hit 3s and score in transition, both of which he is magnificent at. And these are the only two legit perimeter defenders that the 92 team had.

Let's be real here...

92 > 12, but it's not a domination by any means. Each team has one extreme advantage over the other. 1992 has interior domination on both sides of the ball, while 2012 has perimeter domination on both sides of the ball.

92 can just pound it inside and score without a ton of trouble, while 12 can just move the ball well or drive and kick and they have a wide open three almost any time they want, and basically everyone on the team can hit 3s exceedingly well, except Chandler and Davis.

Pelicans78
08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
I think Pippen would be on Lebron.

But the inside domination of 92 is much greater than the perimeter advantage of 2012.

Blake
08-14-2012, 01:17 PM
The difference in the two teams is the bench.

In a 7 game series, LeBron would need to stay on the court the whole time to have a chance.

Blake
08-14-2012, 01:18 PM
I think Pippen would be on Lebron.

But the inside domination of 92 is much greater than the perimeter advantage of 2012.

I wonder how David or Charles would have fared vs LB

Pelicans78
08-14-2012, 01:24 PM
I wonder how David or Charles would have fared vs LB

I don't think they would have guarded him.

Blake
08-14-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't think they would have guarded him.

I don't think the 92 team would have ever played the 12 team.

jbspurs
08-14-2012, 09:48 PM
You are talking about a team with Michael Jordan on it, who got more phantom calls than any player in NBA history.

And I'm not sure how that affects the outcome...

Jordan survived and played really well against the Bad boys of Detroit.. Wonder if any 2012 Dreaming team can do the same...