PDA

View Full Version : Daughter of Ben Barnes Disputes Father's Claims as Political

Tommy Duncan
09-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Posted for the benefit of anyone from CBS "News" who might read this.

www.wbap.com/listingsentr...topstories (http://www.wbap.com/listingsentryheadline.asp?ID=239369&PT=wbaptopstories)

WBAP Exclusive
AUDIO - Daughter of Ben Barnes Disputes Father's Claims as Political

The Former Texas House Speaker Ben Barnes' recollections over how he helped President Bush get into the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War have evolved over the years from fuzzy to distinct.

Barnes, who once claimed he did not help Bush enter the National Guard, reversed his story and told CBS News 60 Minutes that he in fact did help Bush.

Mr. Barnes daughter called the Mark Davis Show and spoke with Monica Crowley on WBAP September 9th dismissing Barnes' claims as political and opportunistic.

Click here for audio (Windows Media).

Excerpt of Call:

BARNES: I love my father very much, but he's doing this for purely political reasons. He is a big Kerry fund-raiser and he is writing a book also. And [the Bush story] is what he's leading the book off with. ... He denied this to me in 2000 that he did get Bush out [of Vietnam service]. Now he's saying he did.

CROWLEY: Did he tell you, Amy – and I'm glad I have you on the line with me – did your father tell you that he was prepared to do this on behalf of John Kerry – go after President Bush like this?

BARNES: He told me he was going to do it. In fact, I talked to him a couple of months ago. He told me he was writing the book. He told me that he was going to be talking about this. And he knows that I – we have very diverse political opinions. He knows my opinions and we get into this debate every time I see him. But, you know, he said that he was going to be talking about it.

CROWLEY: Now you're saying, Amy, that he has had two separate stories on President Bush's Guard duty during the Vietnam era?

BARNES: Yes, yes. This came out in 2000 and I asked him then, at the time, if he [helped get Bush into the Guard]. He said: "No, absolutely not. I did not do that." - CROWLEY: So, I hate to put you in this position, but I will ask you, do you think your father, Ben Barnes who was on "60 Minutes II" with Dan Rather last night – do you believe that he lied on the air to the American people last night about President Bush?

BARNES; Yes, I do. I absolutely do. And I think he's doing he's doing it for purely political, opportunistic reasons – trying to get John Kerry elected and trying to make Bush look like the bad person. ... Like I said, he's going to be trying to promote his book that he's got coming out.

© 2004 WBAP all rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Yonivore
09-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Ouch! That's gonna leave a welt...probably even draw blood.

So, Dan "Biased" Blatherer had a liar and forgeries on his 60 Minutes Program. Not that it's a novel experience on that program, but getting busted doing it so quickly is a hoot.

Good Call Amy. I'm sure you'll be vilified as a partisan hack for this, but I admire the courage.

Tommy Duncan
09-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Could one imagine Dan Rather giving such a softball interview to a major GOP fundraiser and campaign advisor who had made allegations about a Democrat president candidate's past with that individual's word being the only substantiation?

Yonivore
09-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Okay, any RNC figure that goes on 60 Minutes or any of the Network Morning Programs is an idiot. But, no, I can't see them conducting a softball interview with a Republican...at this juncture.

NameDropper
09-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Nothing like daughter's loyalty. :rolleyes