PDA

View Full Version : Finish this: I've got two months in the USA.. I go to... and.. etc

AussieFanKurt
08-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Looking to visit the US in a year or two and trying to gauge the best places to go.

Lincoln
08-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, NYC, Miami if you're a big nightlife person, Vegas. That's just for cities you'll have fun in. There's a lot of national parks that are pretty chill as well

AussieFanKurt
08-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Would driving Route 66 be something worth doing? How about Boston and Chicago?

Lincoln
08-14-2012, 06:19 PM
You could take route 66 from SoCal to the Midwest. I think it ends in Chicago.

Never been to Boston or chi so idk what to tell you

AussieFanKurt
08-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Okay thanks mate

leemajors
08-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Chicago is awesome. I would skip Vegas.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Depends entirely upon what you're into. My three favorite US cities are San Francisco, New Orleans, and New York, so would suggest prioritizing some or all of them.

AussieFanKurt
08-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Chicago is awesome. I would skip Vegas.

Vegas not all its hyped up to be?

Depends entirely upon what you're into. My three favorite US cities are San Francisco, New Orleans, and New York, so would suggest prioritizing some or all of them.

I think out of every person I've known to go to the US, one of those three cities is always a favourite.. they'll be a high priority I think

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Route 66 sucks; don't do that garbage. If you have any level of fitness then Yosemite, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Beartooths, Glacier, and Sequoia are can't miss. I'd imagine some of the areas in the northwest like the Cascades and Crater Lake are pretty amazing too, but never been. Grand Canyon too if you're coming in the late fall to early spring (summer you'll get yourself killed doing anything strenuous in it). The whole state of Utah is spectacular if you like brightly-colored deserts and it is filled with parks. San Francisco and San Diego are both awesome cities to visit. LA is shitty if you do the tourist thing with Santa Monica & Hollywood, but is pretty awesome if you do some research into the cool shit there. Never been up to Seattle or Victoria, B.C., but friends say it's awesome. Stay out of Texas, as it's a shitty place for a vacation anywhere but the west end of the state.

CubanSucks
08-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Definitely NYC and Vegas. You could fill a good amount of days with just a few miles of the Strip. No driving or getting lost and you'll never be bored. NYC is obviously #1. Manhattan is too cool of an experience to miss

Why anyone outside this country would wanna waist their visiting time in New Orleans is beyond me. Don't give me the cultural argument bullshit either

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Vegas not all its hyped up to be?

Good places to eat, good shows, lots of nightlife, but the city gets old quick. It's a fun place to go for a weekend trip when you live close-by, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time there unless you're really good at poker or something.

symple19
08-14-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm going to suggest Jersey City, Flint, Ft. Wayne, Fresno, and Little Rock

good times :tu

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm going to suggest Jersey City, Flint, Ft. Wayne, Fresno, and Little Rock

good times :tu

No East Saint Louis? Also, if he's looking for a California shithole he should pick Merced.

leemajors
08-14-2012, 06:43 PM
No East Saint Louis? Also, if he's looking for a California shithole he should pick Merced.

Gary, son.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Definitely NYC and Vegas. You could fill a good amount of days with just a few miles of the Strip. No driving or getting lost and you'll never be bored. NYC is obviously #1. Manhattan is too cool of an experience to miss

Why anyone outside this country would wanna waist their visiting time in New Orleans is beyond me. Don't give me the cultural argument bullshit either

I'd argue the point, but I'm guessing that someone who sees Vegas as essential to a USA vacation and I are destined to disagree.

leemajors
08-14-2012, 06:44 PM
I had a great time in New Orleans but avoided the French Quarter for the most part, and it wasn't terribly humid in Mid January. Would love to go back.

Lincoln
08-14-2012, 06:47 PM
NYC is amazing though, there is so much shit to do in Manhatttan alone. Coney island in Brooklyn and the NY zoo is Bronx is fun too. It'd take you a week just to scratch the surface in manhattan

symple19
08-14-2012, 06:49 PM

:lol Merced
:lol Cen Cal

On the real tip... Minneapolis is a highly underrated city, especially in terms of the music scene. Just don't go in the winter

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Route 66 sucks; don't do that garbage. If you have any level of fitness then Yosemite, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Beartooths, Glacier, and Sequoia are can't miss. I'd imagine some of the areas in the northwest like the Cascades and Crater Lake are pretty amazing too, but never been. Grand Canyon too if you're coming in the late fall to early spring (summer you'll get yourself killed doing anything strenuous in it). The whole state of Utah is spectacular if you like brightly-colored deserts and it is filled with parks. San Francisco and San Diego are both awesome cities to visit. LA is shitty if you do the tourist thing with Santa Monica & Hollywood, but is pretty awesome if you do some research into the cool shit there. Never been up to Seattle or Victoria, B.C., but friends say it's awesome. Stay out of Texas, as it's a shitty place for a vacation anywhere but the west end of the state.

It's only hinted at here, but I second the suggestion of the general Pacific Northwest region. Lived in Humboldt County for a few years and made the drive to Portland a few times. The argument could be made that there's not a huge amount to do in the area (it would be an argument with which I disagree, but it could be made), but the rugged coast and redwoods are every bit as gorgeous as they're cracked up to be.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 06:50 PM
I had a great time in New Orleans but avoided the French Quarter for the most part, and it wasn't terribly humid in Mid January. Would love to go back.

The Quarter is great. Bourbon Street should be avoided like the plague. But I've lived here now for a hair over two years and haven't even made a dent in all the things there are to do.

symple19
08-14-2012, 06:54 PM

My first experience with the French Quarter involved LSD and a neverending quest for Trent Reznor's house

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I forgot to mention Colorado. Colorado and Utah are probably the two prettiest states in the lower 48 overall (obviously Hawaii and Alaska are in classes all their own).

LnGrrrR
08-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Somewhere in the Northeast unless you plan on hopping a lot of planes. You can visit Boston, New York, Washington DC, Philadelphia, etc etc, and they're all mostly within 10 hours of each other. And if you're an outdoorsy person, the New England area has some pretty spectacular fall foliage, skiing, hiking, biking, swimming, etc etc.

LnGrrrR
08-14-2012, 07:00 PM
The Quarter is great. Bourbon Street should be avoided like the plague. But I've lived here now for a hair over two years and haven't even made a dent in all the things there are to do.

How are you going to hate on Bourbon Street? I love the crush of people, that smell of vomit and urine, grabbing a Hand Grenade, hitting up an overpriced strip club, and then finishing the night up with some Krystals burgers.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 07:02 PM
My first experience with the French Quarter involved LSD and a neverending quest for Trent Reznor's house

You'd have found it sooner if you were in the Garden District.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 07:03 PM
How are you going to hate on Bourbon Street? I love the crush of people, that smell of vomit and urine, grabbing a Hand Grenade, hitting up an overpriced strip club, and then finishing the night up with some Krystals burgers.

The tourists can have it. If I want a burger on Bourbon, I'm going to Clover Grill. And if I want a crush of people, I'm hitting Frenchman.

EDIT: Even though a Word Special at Camellia Grill beats any burger anywhere.

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Not trying to troll, but what's good to do in Philly? Driving through there one time between NY and DC the place just looked like an enormous ghetto; even Baltimore didn't look as shitty (great place to catch a baseball game btw).

LnGrrrR
08-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Not trying to troll, but what's good to do in Philly? Driving through there one time between NY and DC the place just looked like an enormous ghetto; even Baltimore didn't look as shitty (great place to catch a baseball game btw).

Not sure, tbh. I've been to Boston, Chicago, NY, and Baltimore, but haven't been to Washington DC or Philly yet. (Going for a small TDY to DC next month so I'll knock that one off the list.)

I guess you could see the Liberty Bell and other historical places, and grab a Philly Cheesesteak as you're passing through.

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Not sure, tbh. I've been to Boston, Chicago, NY, and Baltimore, but haven't been to Washington DC or Philly yet. (Going for a small TDY to DC next month so I'll knock that one off the list.)

I guess you could see the Liberty Bell and other historical places, and grab a Philly Cheesesteak as you're passing through.

DC's really the only city I like on the east coast. Lots of great museums and heckling congress is always fun.

AussieFanKurt
08-14-2012, 07:14 PM
A yank who'd been to every state in the US told me her favourite was Vermont? Thoughts?

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 07:15 PM
A yank who'd been to every state in the US told me her favourite was Vermont? Thoughts?

She's retarded?

LnGrrrR
08-14-2012, 07:18 PM
DC's really the only city I like on the east coast. Lots of great museums and heckling congress is always fun.

Boston's great, but I'm not sure as a visitor. There is a lot of stuff to do there, museums, parks, Fenway... but then again, I'm biased. :lol

Vermont is a beautiful state, but not alot to do there. There are some nice pocket of "small town", but you might as well visit Portsmouth, NH, as it's a lot closer to Boston.

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Boston's great, but I'm not sure as a visitor. There is a lot of stuff to do there, museums, parks, Fenway... but then again, I'm biased. :lol

That's kind of the way I feel about LA. Everyone has to come see Hollywood and everyone is always so disappointed at what a piece of shit it is. Then everyone has to go to Santa Monica but the place is filled with homeless, annoying tourists, price-gouging restaurants, and sewage in the water.:lol

Amazing that people go to those two places when the LA area is filled with tons of amazing stuff to see like Malibu, Huntington Beach, Griffith Park, Mount Wilson, Mount San Jacinto, Mount San Gorgonio, Big Bear, Vazquez Rocks, Joshua Tree, and so on.

CubanSucks
08-14-2012, 07:25 PM
I'd argue the point, but I'm guessing that someone who sees Vegas as essential to a USA vacation and I are destined to disagree.

:lmao Someone who sees Vegas as essential to a U.S. vacation? Considering it's probably the second most visited city in the U.S. besides NYC I'd say I'm in the majority.

You couldn't sound more pompous and smug if you tried. I'd guess you're the kind of person who if visiting NYC would skip Manhattan to visit Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Uncultured simpletons like myself just wouldn't understand, is that it?

CubanSucks
08-14-2012, 07:28 PM

You're acquaintance sounds like a pretentious twat who just wanted to sound unique. It's probably a beautiful state but hearing someone say it's their favorite would make me roll my eyes

AussieFanKurt
08-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Amazing that people go to those two places when the LA area is filled with tons of amazing stuff to see like Malibu, Huntington Beach, Griffith Park, Mount Wilson, Mount San Jacinto, Mount San Gorgonio, Big Bear, Vazquez Rocks, Joshua Tree, and so on.

All these places, would it be possible to get to a good proportion of them and leave time for all the other sights through USA if I have a few months. I know CA is a reasonable sized state.

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 07:31 PM
If you're looking for really scenic drives, some of the best are:

- Beartooth Highway (near Yellowstone)
- Tioga Pass Road (through Yosemite)
- Kings Canyon Scenic Byway + Giant Forest (Sequoia/Kings Canyon)
- Going to the Sun Road (Glacier)
- Highway 395 (really pretty in winter especially paralleling the Sierra Crest)
- Angeles Crest Highway (near LA)

395 is the only one I know is open in Winter though. I can't remember if Angeles Crest Highway is open all year, and the other four are likely closed 6+ months of the year.

I'm sure Colorado has to have some great drives too

AussieFanKurt
08-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks mate, I'll keep some of those in mind

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 07:35 PM
All these places, would it be possible to get to a good proportion of them and leave time for all the other sights through USA if I have a few months. I know CA is a reasonable sized state.

I don't think spending a couple of weeks to exhaust the LA area is worth the opportunity cost of pulling too much time away from other really interesting parts of the state like the Eastern Sierra, Yosemite/Sequoia/KingsCanyon, The Redwoods, Death Valley, San Diego, San Francisco, etc.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
:lmao Someone who sees Vegas as essential to a U.S. vacation? Considering it's probably the second most visited city in the U.S. besides NYC I'd say I'm in the majority.

I didn't say you weren't.

You couldn't sound more pompous and smug if you tried. I'd guess you're the kind of person who if visiting NYC would skip Manhattan to visit Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Uncultured simpletons like myself just wouldn't understand, is that it?

I love Manhattan.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 07:47 PM
That's kind of the way I feel about LA. Everyone has to come see Hollywood and everyone is always so disappointed at what a piece of shit it is. Then everyone has to go to Santa Monica but the place is filled with homeless, annoying tourists, price-gouging restaurants, and sewage in the water.:lol

I agree. And I think we've both mentioned this in previous threads about the LA area. I grew up there, and there are a lot of things about LA I miss and a ton of things to do in the area, but I think the city/area is a big fail as a tourist destination. Which isn't terribly surprising since it's a region built on the concept of suburban sprawl.

symple19
08-14-2012, 07:54 PM
You'd have found it sooner if you were in the Garden District.

:lol

Thus the term "neverending"

mingus
08-14-2012, 07:54 PM
In the West, I would say cities like Seattle, San Fran, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and Denver are all great cities to visit.

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 07:55 PM
My personal favorite places in the nation:

+ Yosemite - enormous waterfalls in May/June and great high views July-October (especially if you like hiking)
+ Yellowstone - Incredible for seeing wildlife like bears, bison, elk, etc. In winter you can see wolves too. Also walking the geyser basins you feel like you're on another planet. World-class hiking in the Beartooths too from late July - early September, but nasty nasty weather at times.
+ Grand Teton - Lots of great hiking like Yosemite, lots of wildlife like Yellowstone. Not as likely to see bears here as in Yellowstone, but much moreso for moose.
+ Sequoia - The drive through the Giant Forest is pretty amazing; the forest is populated pretty densely with the largest living things on the planet. Have seen bears here too.

AussieFanKurt
08-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Is Texas worth going to at all? Haven't seen it mentioned at all... positively anyway

leemajors
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Is Texas worth going to at all? Haven't seen it mentioned at all... positively anyway

If you happen to be here Nov-March it's nice.

LnGrrrR
08-14-2012, 07:57 PM
If you have a few months you should be able to go from coast to coast. You could start at the Northwest (Seattle), trip down the coast, then through the South, then back up the East Coast. Of course, that'd be a bit expensive. :)

Re: Texas, it's ok... Austin has some good music and food. But there are other big cities that have more flavor, more things to do, etc etc. I wouldn't put any city in Texas on a "must-see" list of cities for tourists.

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Not at all IMO. Despite my trolling upstairs, it's actually a pretty nice place to live because the cost of living is low and the people are friendly, but only the west end of the state is very scenic. And if you're looking for scenic deserts, West Texas' are really nice but nowhere close to Utah's.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 08:00 PM
If you have a few months you should be able to go from coast to coast. You could start at the Northwest (Seattle), trip down the coast, then through the South, then back up the East Coast. Of course, that'd be a bit expensive. :)

Poor South Dakota.

DeadlyDynasty
08-14-2012, 08:03 PM
I used to live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Before it was cool to live there...

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 08:04 PM

I personally think driving through the South would be complete lunacy. I would much much rather drive through Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and then hit Chicago and go up to Toronto on the trip east. If you like theme parks and roller-coasters it would also give you the opportunity to hit the nation's (world's?) best at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio.

symple19
08-14-2012, 08:07 PM
I personally think driving through the South would be complete lunacy. I would much much rather drive through Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and then hit Chicago and go up to Toronto on the trip east.

A drive through the south (esp I-20 or I-40) can pretty much be summed up with two words.... Pine Trees

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 08:07 PM
I used to live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Before it was cool to live there...

Hipster feedback loop.

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 08:09 PM
A drive through the south (esp I-20 or I-40) can pretty much be summed up with two words.... Pine Trees

Sounds better than I-40 through New Mexico, where the two words would be... Highway Patrol.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 08:10 PM
I personally think driving through the South would be complete lunacy. I would much much rather drive through Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and then hit Chicago and go up to Toronto on the trip east.

I've done both. Each route has stretches that are fabulous and stretches that are mind-numbingly boring.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Sounds better than I-40 through New Mexico, where the two words would be... Highway Patrol.

Proper road tripping involves a move away from interstates. They all suck. I-80 is probably the prettiest, but it's still a pain in the ass to drive.

AussieFanKurt
08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Is driving from LA - San Fran a good drive if I can't afford to have a long road trip

symple19
08-14-2012, 08:15 PM

lulz... Mom used to live in Santa Fe, and I've made the drive from the Okie Doke to Cali and back a couple times, so I know all about that... Drunk driving is a huge problem and I think that's why there's always so much heat along that route.

Now, if you drive north out of Albuquerque and continue through Santa Fe it gets incredibly beautiful.

symple19
08-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Is driving from LA - San Fran a good drive if I can't afford to have a long road trip

yes, and make sure you include this route on your drive:

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/road-trips/california-pacific-coast-road-trip/

rent a convertible

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 08:19 PM

Yes if you go up the coast and stick to Highway 101 and Highway 1. It's a beautiful drive.

I-5 and Highway 99 are quicker, but are unattractive and loaded with trucks. I had to be a passenger on that drive several times a year when I was a kid and it sucks ass. Nothing but truckstops and cow shit.

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 08:20 PM

A great loop would be to go up the Eastern Sierra from LA on HWY 395, hit Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia, then go over to San Francisco, then come down the coast seeing places like Big Sur and Santa Barbara. San Diego should really be part of the trip too, since it's not that far (used to do day trips to San Diego all the time when I lived in LA). You could realistically work Las Vegas into the 395 trip also, though I don't think it's worth skipping time at the other destinations on this route.

Latarian Milton
08-14-2012, 08:35 PM
staying in one city or withtin one metropolis would be the best for you if you don't wanna waste too much $ on transportation cost, US major cities are all roughly the same to some extent tbh

DeadlyDynasty
08-14-2012, 08:39 PM
US major cities are all roughly the same to some extent tbh
ehhh, not entirely. Cities like SF, NO, and NYC, Chicago, etc have their unique qualities. I agree that a lot of "big" cities are pretty much the same, if you're talking about Indianapolis, Columbus, Houston, Cleveland, Cincy, yada yada yada.

DeadlyDynasty
08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Don't go to Philly, though. That city sucks.

AussieFanKurt
08-14-2012, 08:48 PM

How come?

symple19
08-14-2012, 08:49 PM

I'm a history guy, so I enjoyed it. Not a tourist town, though. And I'm not sure if there's an unfriendlier city anywhere in the US.

DeadlyDynasty
08-14-2012, 08:49 PM
How come?
The people are assholes and it smells of semen and dirty diapers

symple19
08-14-2012, 08:50 PM
How come?

If you go in the winter, you may get snowballs (with batteries inside) thrown at you :lol

baseline bum
08-14-2012, 08:51 PM
The people are assholes and it smells of semen and dirty diapers

So it is exactly as it looks from I-95? :lol

DeadlyDynasty
08-14-2012, 08:57 PM
So it is exactly as it looks from I-95? :lol
Pretty much. I'm not even joking though. You could knock me out, blind fold me, stick me in that city and I would know it by the smell. It has a very distinct sour smell to it.

Add to the fact that the city is seemingly overrun with vagrants and it only gets worse

ginobili's bald spot
08-14-2012, 08:57 PM
NY, LA, SF and Chicago are the only cities worth going to. And I'd cut out Chicago just to be more time efficient. The drive from LA to SF is horrible unless you like meth towns and smelling cow shit. Go to NYC then LA then SF and from SF drive up to the coastal redwoods.

Brazil
08-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Chicago is a must to see. I spent three days at the trump tower in front of the river, freaking awsome. I saw a pre season game of the bears, the soldier field is really awesome.

If you plan to go there pm me

Jekka
08-14-2012, 09:05 PM
I agree with a lot of the places suggested in the thread - I'm a big fan of the national parks system. Another one of my favorite vacations was northern Michigan in the fall - Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore when the leaves are changing is beautiful.

The tourists can have it. If I want a burger on Bourbon, I'm going to Clover Grill. And if I want a crush of people, I'm hitting Frenchman.
Duck waffle and a ghetto mimosa at Elizabeth's FTW.

If you're looking for really scenic drives, some of the best are:
- Beartooth Highway (near Yellowstone)
- Going to the Sun Road (Glacier)

I can vouch for these two. They're incredible. So is the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway that runs out of Cody, WY and meets up with the Beartooth Highway. Also, Going-to-the-Sun Road is only open a few months a year - I went in 2009 and it didn't open all the way through the park until 4th of July weekend.

lulz... Mom used to live in Santa Fe, and I've made the drive from the Okie Doke to Cali and back a couple times, so I know all about that... Drunk driving is a huge problem and I think that's why there's always so much heat along that route.

Now, if you drive north out of Albuquerque and continue through Santa Fe it gets incredibly beautiful.
Manny and I have taken both 285 and 84 instead of I-25 to and from CO/Santa Fe a few times and it's beautiful. 84 especially, but holy cats the speed limits are low, and the cops in Rio Arriba County don't seem to have anything better to do than enforce them.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Duck waffle and a ghetto mimosa at Elizabeth's FTW.

One of these days. I don't make it to the Bywater anywhere near as often as I'd like to.

leemajors
08-14-2012, 09:35 PM
I'd be happy grabbing a sandwich at stein's for lunch then getting tanked at Avenue Pub

LnGrrrR
08-14-2012, 09:35 PM
I personally think driving through the South would be complete lunacy. I would much much rather drive through Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and then hit Chicago and go up to Toronto on the trip east. If you like theme parks and roller-coasters it would also give you the opportunity to hit the nation's (world's?) best at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio.

True, I guess the only things you're really missing down south is New Orleans and possibly Orlando/Miami.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 09:36 PM
True, I guess the only things you're really missing down south is New Orleans and possibly Orlando/Miami.

And Savannah.

symple19
08-14-2012, 09:44 PM
And Savannah.

St Patty's day ftw

Charleston is actually a better town, imo, if you like that old south vibe.

Food/restaurants there are amazing. More history, too

DeadlyDynasty
08-14-2012, 09:46 PM
St Patty's day ftw

x1000

Charleston is a ridiculously underrated city. Many good times there:hat

LnGrrrR
08-14-2012, 09:47 PM

It was far enough away from Biloxi that I enjoyed hitting it up when I went. I'm a sucker for the hand grenades. Plus, the strip clubs in Mississippi are scary.

DeadlyDynasty
08-14-2012, 09:48 PM
It was far enough away from Biloxi that I enjoyed hitting it up when I went. I'm a sucker for the hand grenades. Plus, the strip clubs in Mississippi are scary.
Those fresh c-section scars mean discounts on lapdances, though:tu

LnGrrrR
08-14-2012, 09:52 PM

I feel like Boston is getting short-changed in this thread :lol It's not as nice as Chicago, but I think it has its own vibe to it. I still would go to Chicago first though... I love that beachwalk area.

ALVAREZ6
08-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Out of the cities I've visited, NYC and Washington, DC should be on your list. I constantly hear good things about San Francisco and would love to visit some day but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I don't know if I'm the only one here, but I really enjoy doing the "big bus" tours or w/e they're called in large cities. Those double decker buses that act as tour guides and ride you through cities, pointing things out and explaining some history about certain places. IDK if it's considered a lame thing to do, but for the price I think they're great because they work as a mode of transportation, especially if you get a 2 day pass or something like that. It's an efficient way to get around the city while seeing the sights, and always cool when you're up top on a nice day, being able to see all angles without any interference.

symple19
08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I feel like Boston is getting short-changed in this thread :lol It's not as nice as Chicago, but I think it has its own vibe to it. I still would go to Chicago first though... I love that beachwalk area.

I've never been to Boston, but you better fucking believe that Fenway is on my bucket list.

Chicago I've flown into and driven through, but never really spent any time there. Wrigley is a must for me as well

Farthest north (in the NE anyway) I've been is the Hudson River valley. Went to the Point to see Air Force destroy Army (which I'm sure you'll appreciate)

Hard to beat the valley in October though. Was a fucking riot of colors

DeadlyDynasty
08-14-2012, 10:05 PM
My bucket list is internatationl

symple19
08-14-2012, 10:08 PM

Some of them can take out their teeth, too :lol

One of my favorite titty bars was in Columbus, Georgia. It was a BYOB place and basically filled with nasty bitches of the aforementioned type.

But how on earth can you beat a place where you can (and we did) literally roll in with a cooler (a big one with wheels) and start to do work. It had pool tables, darts, and skanks. What else does a young man need?

The "champagne" room was basically a broom closet with a bench in it.. Good fucking times :tu

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 10:17 PM
St Patty's day ftw

I've heard great about Charleston and would love to check it out, but I haven't made it to either of the Carolinas yet.

Darth_Pelican
08-14-2012, 10:20 PM

This past weekend in the Quarter was a fun one with the Red Dress Run and Dirty Linen Night :tu

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm a sucker for the hand grenades.

No me gusta. Only of the touristy, Everclear heavy drinks I can do is the daiquiris. But even for those I either hit the Daiq Shack at the Riverbend (when I lived walking distance from it) of I stop into one of the places on Bourbon before immediately going elsewhere. I just can't handle the busy stretch of Bourbon Street. Lower Quarter FTW.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 10:26 PM
This past weekend in the Quarter was a fun one with the Red Dress Run and Dirty Linen Night :tu

I am told I had a good time.

Darth_Pelican
08-14-2012, 10:30 PM
I am told I had a good time.

I vaguely remember leaving Pat O's piano bar and ending up at the Blue Nile on Frenchmen.... after that, everything is a blur.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2012, 10:34 PM
I vaguely remember leaving Pat O's piano bar and ending up at the Blue Nile on Frenchmen.... after that, everything is a blur.

I have avoided Pat O'Brien's since I had a friend (a guy, shockingly enough) get roofied there. Ditto Miss Mae's. Though I don't miss either one terribly.

symple19
08-14-2012, 10:34 PM
I've heard great about Charleston and would love to check it out, but I haven't made it to either of the Carolinas yet.

If you go, check out Queen Anne's revenge. You can get a great dish, a shot of rum, and an overload of Pirate history/themed stuff (not tacky or gimmicky..It's named after one of Blackbeard's ships...Piracy was prevalent in Charleston through the civil war so it's all historically relevant). It's amazing. I had crispy fried calamari and a lot of rum, lol

Drinks are reasonably priced, too

McCrady's is also a great place

DMC
08-15-2012, 12:23 AM
If you're going to be in the US, don't do shit you can do in Australia like pounding around in the outback. The mountains and all that are cool, but unless it's some historically significant stuff, you're just crossing rocks.

I'd check out Niagara Falls, NY, DC, Philly... lots of early American history there. Chicago just to see the MJ statue and get a pizza. Orlando Florida to see the trail of tears from Magic fans over the decades which will lead you to LA. Stop through New Orleans to see the FEMA trailers where BR Hornet lives. Stay away from Portland, you might be crippled when you leave otherwise.

baseline bum
08-15-2012, 12:37 AM
If you're going to be in the US, don't do shit you can do in Australia like pounding around in the outback. The mountains and all that are cool, but unless it's some historically significant stuff, you're just crossing rocks.

I'd check out Niagara Falls, NY, DC, Philly... lots of early American history there. Chicago just to see the MJ statue and get a pizza. Orlando Florida to see the trail of tears from Magic fans over the decades which will lead you to LA. Stop through New Orleans to see the FEMA trailers where BR Hornet lives. Stay away from Portland, you might be crippled when you leave otherwise.

Why would an Australian give a shit about American history? Ooh, here's the place all the slave-owners said "All men are created equal".

AussieFanKurt
08-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Why would an Australian give a shit about American history? Ooh, here's the place all the slave-owners said "All men are created equal".

To be honest, I would be interested in some US history. I don't know as much as I'd like to

baseline bum
08-15-2012, 01:30 AM
To be honest, I would be interested in some US history. I don't know as much as I'd like to

This is a great US history book to check before coming:

http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-History-United-States-1492-Present/dp/0060528370

AussieFanKurt
08-15-2012, 01:40 AM
This is a great US history book to check before coming:

http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-History-United-States-1492-Present/dp/0060528370

Thanks mate. I'm interested in general history but not so much presidents etc

The Gemini Method
08-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Busted out the Zinn...

I haven't traveled much of the U.S. but Seattle has always been fun and San Diego, too. If it's international then I could offer some recommendations but that's all I got.

The Reckoning
08-15-2012, 06:50 AM
texas is alright - big bend is great and is alot like the outback if you like hiking and getting lost and shit. any beach south of port isabel is fine. you can also park on the beach. dont go to mexico unless its south of monterrey. schlitterbahn is fun if you get drunk and stay on the tube shoots.

i know brits who will save money and post up in austin for 3 months because its insanely cheap then go to 6th every night and bring back slutty american girls (who arent nearly as slutty as you think they are. theyre more of a dirty tease in general). if youre around for acl or sxsw then its worth it. if you stop in texas, might as well go to alamo draft house and a real fast food joint - whataburger (fuck the haters). if you go during the winter then check out a spurs or UT game.

have ranch dressing with everything you eat.

also, get some real tex-mex food. the shit you have in australia is awful. texas bbq is superior to any other.

the area around seattle, or the northwest in general, is amazing if its not raining, but chances are it will be.

florida is great if you love fishing. avoid the midwest like the plague. ive never been to the northeast because yankees are assholes. the southwest sucks. besides colorado and utah. id recommend going there during the summer since youre from australia and dont know how to navigate through snow/ice.

san diego and san francisco are amazing cities. lake tahoe is awesome year round if you have money. yosemite is a great park. everything else in california is overrated. DONT go to LA. DONT go to las vegas.

new orleans is always a trip :tu. dont go to any of the strip clubs besides ricks or youll lose your dick. if youre in louisiana, lake charles is also fun.

my advice would be to rephrase the question of "ive got 2 months in the USA in this time of year....i've got this amount of money, and i'm interested in urban/rural activities."

also look up all the major festivals in areas that you want to go to and plan accordingly. our mass transit system is also shitty, so try to figure out how youll get around that as well.

above all, dont go to the US until youre 21 or over. it's also beneficial to bring someone 25 so you can rent a vehicle...though we drive on the right side.

Capt Bringdown
08-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Drive up the California coast. San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco and many points in between. You've got it all, from spectacular scenery to iconic west coast cities.

Sportcamper
08-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Yosemite…Make reservations a year in advance…

cantthinkofanything
08-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Fiesta Texas. Great fun. Try to go in the summer. If you can't make it to SA, then the Six Flags in Arlington will work. If you do make Arlington, don't' forget to check out the Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum. It's actually in the same building as the House of Wax so you can see both on the same day.

From there, probably head to Waco to see the Texas Sports Hall of Fame and the Texas Ranger Museum. Waco is a fairly artsy eclectic city so you'll want to take some time and just walk the downtown area.

Again, if you do this in the summer, you can also hit the Scarborough Fair in Waxahachie.

Close out your vacation with some time on Galveston's beautiful beaches.

For restaurants, see if you can spot a Joe's Crab Shack or Olive Garden. Or if you're feeling homesick, Outback does a great job at recreating Australian Cuisine.

DMC
08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
To see how much more relevant we are as a people than they are, being that they are all pretty much escaped felons relegated to a shitty island by Britain.

I probably should have used a blue font though.

DMC
08-15-2012, 10:31 AM
texas is alright - big bend is great and is alot like the outback if you like hiking and getting lost and shit. any beach south of port isabel is fine. you can also park on the beach. dont go to mexico unless its south of monterrey. schlitterbahn is fun if you get drunk and stay on the tube shoots.

i know brits who will save money and post up in austin for 3 months because its insanely cheap then go to 6th every night and bring back slutty american girls (who arent nearly as slutty as you think they are. theyre more of a dirty tease in general). if youre around for acl or sxsw then its worth it. if you stop in texas, might as well go to alamo draft house and a real fast food joint - whataburger (fuck the haters). if you go during the winter then check out a spurs or UT game.

have ranch dressing with everything you eat.

also, get some real tex-mex food. the shit you have in australia is awful. texas bbq is superior to any other.

the area around seattle, or the northwest in general, is amazing if its not raining, but chances are it will be.

florida is great if you love fishing. avoid the midwest like the plague. ive never been to the northeast because yankees are assholes. the southwest sucks. besides colorado and utah. id recommend going there during the summer since youre from australia and dont know how to navigate through snow/ice.

san diego and san francisco are amazing cities. lake tahoe is awesome year round if you have money. yosemite is a great park. everything else in california is overrated. DONT go to LA. DONT go to las vegas.

new orleans is always a trip :tu. dont go to any of the strip clubs besides ricks or youll lose your dick. if youre in louisiana, lake charles is also fun.

my advice would be to rephrase the question of "ive got 2 months in the USA in this time of year....i've got this amount of money, and i'm interested in urban/rural activities."

also look up all the major festivals in areas that you want to go to and plan accordingly. our mass transit system is also shitty, so try to figure out how youll get around that as well.

above all, dont go to the US until youre 21 or over. it's also beneficial to bring someone 25 so you can rent a vehicle...though we drive on the right side.

If you smoke, don't tell your guests "I am going out back to suck a fag", that goes over roughly here, unless you're in Austin then they will likely want to join in.

monosylab1k
08-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Uncultured simpletons like myself

At least you're honest.

monosylab1k
08-15-2012, 10:42 AM

Yeah DC is a really cool city and fascinating if you're from this country, if you aren't i dont see why you would care that much.

San Diego is probably my favorite vacation spot so far, but i haven't done a lot of traveling.

Not to hijack this thread but later this year i'm heading up to Portland/Seattle/Vancouver so any recommendations would be appreciated.

leemajors
08-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Yeah DC is a really cool city and fascinating if you're from this country, if you aren't i dont see why you would care that much.

San Diego is probably my favorite vacation spot so far, but i haven't done a lot of traveling.

Not to hijack this thread but later this year i'm heading up to Portland/Seattle/Vancouver so any recommendations would be appreciated.

I would check out Deschutes and Cascade for sure if you want to hit up some breweries. The Belmont Station is supposed to be a world class pub as well.

baseline bum
08-15-2012, 11:00 AM

I'd definitely try to work Crater Lake into that. I think it's Olympic National Park right next to Seattle that looks like a full-blown rainforest in pics I have seen of the place (never been though).

Drachen
08-15-2012, 11:02 AM
I've got two months in the USA.. I go to... and.. etc ... english is second language...just dropped 2 ozs lsd

That particular sentence appears to now be finished.

baseline bum
08-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Yosemite…Make reservations a year in advance…

The hotels are San Francisco level expensive also. It's a much better place to camp. Grand Teton is also crazy expensive if you stay in a hotel there. Yellowstone is actually pretty affordable if you stay in a hotel in one of the outlying towns.

leemajors
08-15-2012, 11:09 AM
I'd also recommend the Armstrong Redwoods outside of Healdsburg, much less crowded than Muir. You can also stop by Bear Republic for a Racer X in Healdsburg.

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 11:09 AM
I'd rub my dick in dirt to see Crater Lake...definitely the park I want to see the most.

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 11:10 AM
I've got two months in the USA.. I go to... and.. etc ... english is second language...just dropped 2 ozs lsd

That particular sentence appears to now be finished.
Look behind you.

baseline bum
08-15-2012, 11:12 AM
I'd also recommend the Armstrong Redwoods outside of Healdsburg, much less crowded than Muir. You can also stop by Bear Republic for a Racer X in Healdsburg.

If he's going to Bear Republic, he should get a Hop Rod Rye instead tbh.

leemajors
08-15-2012, 11:12 AM
If he's going to Bear Republic, he should get a Hop Rod Rye instead tbh.

You haven't had a Racer X then :toast Fucking top notch Imperial IPA

Drachen
08-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Look behind you.

Printer printing...ink so dark... and... goto... etc.

baseline bum
08-15-2012, 11:14 AM
You haven't had a Racer X then :toast

Shit, I was thinking Racer 5. I guess I never have had the Racer X. Still, the Hop Rod Rye is a phenomenal beer.

The Reckoning
08-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Fiesta Texas. Great fun. Try to go in the summer. If you can't make it to SA, then the Six Flags in Arlington will work. If you do make Arlington, don't' forget to check out the Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum. It's actually in the same building as the House of Wax so you can see both on the same day.

From there, probably head to Waco to see the Texas Sports Hall of Fame and the Texas Ranger Museum. Waco is a fairly artsy eclectic city so you'll want to take some time and just walk the downtown area.

Again, if you do this in the summer, you can also hit the Scarborough Fair in Waxahachie.

Close out your vacation with some time on Galveston's beautiful beaches.

For restaurants, see if you can spot a Joe's Crab Shack or Olive Garden. Or if you're feeling homesick, Outback does a great job at recreating Australian Cuisine.

would be a better troll job if you said astroworld tbh

cantthinkofanything
08-15-2012, 11:48 AM
would be a better troll job if you said astroworld tbh

:lol too obvious
honestly wasn't aware it was still there

baseline bum
08-15-2012, 11:51 AM
:lol it's not

LnGrrrR
08-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Reading cantthink's vacation depressed me, because some people probably think that would be awesome. :(

baseline bum
08-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Reading cantthink's vacation depressed me, because some people probably think that would be awesome. :(

Truth :depressed

Can't believe he forgot the watermelon festival in Luling. And where were the sidetrips to San Angelo and Lubbock?

leemajors
08-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Truth :depressed

Can't believe he forgot the watermelon festival in Luling. And where were the sidetrips to San Angelo and Lubbock?

the thump! tbh he also forgot the Turkey Fest in Cuero, but it's the same week as ACL this year.

baseline bum
08-15-2012, 12:05 PM
the thump! tbh he also forgot the Turkey Fest in Cuero, but it's the same week as ACL this year.

You entered in the jalapeno eating contest yet? I'll take pics from the Grand Parade.

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Can't believe he forgot the watermelon festival in Luling.
I'd like to see some pics of that festival, just to see if I'm right in my suspicions.

leemajors
08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
You entered in the jalapeno eating contest yet? I'll take pics from the Grand Parade.

Maybe next year, I'll be in Denver for GABF

CuckingFunt
08-15-2012, 12:14 PM
I'd like to see some pics of that festival, just to see if I'm right in my suspicions.

Too easy.

leemajors
08-15-2012, 12:18 PM

http://www.landisimages.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Thump1390Landis.jpg

The Reckoning
08-15-2012, 01:00 PM
or wurstfest imo but thats actually the best fest in texas atm

The Reckoning
08-15-2012, 01:02 PM
and :lol at turkey fest. i lived in victoria for 16 years and never went there.

cantthinkofanything
08-15-2012, 01:12 PM
don't forget the Noonday Onion Festival or the Grand Saline Salt Festival

leemajors
08-15-2012, 01:19 PM
don't forget the Noonday Onion Festival or the Grand Saline Salt Festival

Rattlesnake Roundup in Sweetwater too.