PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Splitter for Varejao?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Splitter and Bonner for Varejao works in the trade machine:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

It drops the Cav's salary by 800k, and Splitter is 3 years younger. In Splitter they get a guy who would thrive in the pnr with Irving, although he is less of a rebounder and defender. We'd get a better defender and rebounder with less offense, although arguably a better 15ft jumper.

If the Spurs threw in a first round pick the Cavs would have to jump at it, although I think a second rounder, or maybe no pick at all, might get it done too because there are clear advantages for the Cavs here. Oh, and as for Bonner, he's there for salary-matching. He only has two years left on his contract and, despite the hatred of many Spurs fans, is a fine regular season player who won't have to worry about the playoffs if he's a Cav.

If I were the FO I'd be trying to swing this. Varejao would thrive playing long minutes off the bench, and with Mills, Ginobili and Jax out there we have plenty of 3pt shooting. Also, Varejao and Blair would kill second teams on the boards, and although this move would leave us without a stretch 4, Anthony Tolliver is still on the market, knows the Spurs' system, and could be had for the minimum.

The downside of this trade is that Varejao is due a lot of money over the next 3 years and it could restrict our cap flexibility since Splitter is an FA next offseason, Bonner the season after.

What do you think?

flipspursfan
08-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Ahh yes yes, this would be a good acquisition for the Spurs. But I think this'll only work if they get a 4. Blatche would be ideal, Tolliver as plan B. It would be a solid trade for the Spurs.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-14-2012, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't even give them a first. They're getting what rebuilding teams need: salary relief to the tune of about $15M.

kaji157
08-14-2012, 10:51 PM
If we are going for the "the other team doesnīt want anything back" i would try to go for Glen Davis. Who is not great but can somehow give us a strong body inside that is something we actually donīt have (unless Diaw shows to training camp overweight).
It was quite evident that none of our bigs can really bang inside, Timmy is old and i donīt want him risking a lot, Tiago is soft as hell, Diaw is small so is Blair.
Oh.. Bonner doesnīt bang inside, the guy gets 0 rebounds in 15 minutes.
So, by this writerīs logic ( http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/49149/another-superstar-joins-another-super-team ) Orlando is trying to form up the worst team possible to stay a few years i the lottery. By this logic, which i donīt agree but i canīt write off, we could offer Cory Joseph, Matt Bonner and Derrick Byars (a combined 5.559.000) for Glen Davis (6.400.000). A trade that works and doesnīt require us to get rid of Thiago who i think we can try for another season given that he now has a real year below him.

ElNono
08-14-2012, 11:15 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201192

freetiago
08-14-2012, 11:25 PM
splitter is a good player
pop just refuses to play him at all and with duncan
also destroys any bit of confidence he has

so id rather just see splitter gone tbh
if they get good value for him that would be great
better then watching him rot on the bench

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-15-2012, 12:52 AM
I wouldn't even give them a first. They're getting what rebuilding teams need: salary relief to the tune of about $15M.

Yeah, as I said, I doubt we'd need to give up a pick because the trade makes sense to the Cavs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-15-2012, 12:54 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201192

Thanks, I missed that one... :oops

You can tell it's the off-season around here! :lol

Kidd K
08-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Would not trade Splitter and a first for him.

Splitter's deal lasts another 2 years including this season, and he's getting paid half of what Varejao is. Varejao's deal lasts 3 years, which means any possible team add-ons becomes 0% chances. It'd be pushing us right up against the luxury tax line.

Do I like Vareajo more than Splitter? Of course. He just costs twice as much and that doesn't seem worth it when you're also factoring a lost first rounder too. I'd rather keep Splitter and trade him and our first to trade up in the draft again for another possible draft steal like with did with the underrated George Hill.

Splitter's a decent center who should have some trade value. If what that lumberwagon who handles the ball around the basket like a dizzy retard in Omer Asik can get as much cash as he got this offseason, then Splitter's got to be worth a lot since Asik couldn't do much besides occaisionally block a shot and grab an average amount of rebounds.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-15-2012, 03:57 AM
I wouldn't trade a first either. A second I'd consider, but as I said, I think there are enough benefits for the Cavs to go for it straight up.

Having said that, I don't mind Splitter, although he's going to have to solidify his FT shooting to be relevant in the playoffs. The downfall of our season started late in the 3rd Q of game 2 when OKC went hack-a-Splitter. After that, Pop seemed to lose faith in him and that became a factor in the series.

benefactor
08-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Without hesitation.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Would not trade Splitter and a first for him.

Splitter's deal lasts another 2 years including this season, and he's getting paid half of what Varejao is. Varejao's deal lasts 3 years, which means any possible team add-ons becomes 0% chances. It'd be pushing us right up against the luxury tax line.

Do I like Vareajo more than Splitter? Of course. He just costs twice as much and that doesn't seem worth it when you're also factoring a lost first rounder too. I'd rather keep Splitter and trade him and our first to trade up in the draft again for another possible draft steal like with did with the underrated George Hill.

Splitter's a decent center who should have some trade value. If what that lumberwagon who handles the ball around the basket like a dizzy retard in Omer Asik can get as much cash as he got this offseason, then Splitter's got to be worth a lot since Asik couldn't do much besides occaisionally block a shot and grab an average amount of rebounds.

Splitter is an ending contract. Bonner almost is, being owed $1M for 2013-14.

A "regular" first rounder almost isn't worth having any more, and Cleveland isn't giving us a lottery pick for him. I'm not in favor of flipping him for a non-lottery pick. I would prefer a more or less finished product like Varejao. We'd need some sort of big in exchange, and we don't have time for a draft pick to develop to help Timmy.

elemento
08-15-2012, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't.

Pop wouldn't pair Andy with Duncan for the same reason he doesn't pair Splitter with Duncan. Both players can't shoot. Diaw would still start because of his shooting abilities, so paying 9m/year for a backup Center is not a good idea. Plus, Andy is older and he is injury-prone.

I am not against trading Splitter if it brings a good starting PF to be paired with Duncan. Varejao is not this guy. At least not in Pop's offensive scheme.

George Gervin's Afro
08-15-2012, 09:25 AM
no

coyotes_geek
08-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Hell no. Splitter > Varejo.

ThaBigFundamental21
08-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Hell no. Splitter > Varejo.

Exactly.

Proxy
08-15-2012, 10:32 AM
I haven't even seen Varejao play since Lebron took his talents to South Beach. Where do I catch these nationally televised Cleveland Cavalier games?

Cane
08-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Hell no. Cavs would have to sweeten the deal, not the Spurs. Splitter's younger, cheaper, healthier, and more versatile.

Although Splitter just might eventually earn a contract that even Omer Asik would be surprised at....

dbestpro
08-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Someone will offer Splitter 8 mil next year. See if you would wish we got something for him, then.

Andthentherewas21
08-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Someone will offer Splitter 8 mil next year. See if you would wish we got something for him, then.

Varejao makes $9 million next year, and $9.7 the year after plus has a 5% trade kicker. He also has missed more than half of each of the past 2 seasons.

So if we can't keep Splitter at $8 million a year, why would we want Varejao at $9 million just when injuries are starting to take a toll on his career?

Thomas3
08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
No thx we already have a 'flopper'.

dbestpro
08-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Varejao makes $9 million next year, and $9.7 the year after plus has a 5% trade kicker. He also has missed more than half of each of the past 2 seasons.

So if we can't keep Splitter at $8 million a year, why would we want Varejao at $9 million just when injuries are starting to take a toll on his career?

Don't think Varejao is the answer either, but the idea of trading Splitter has to be looked at because he will most likely be overpaid next year.

Seventyniner
08-15-2012, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't.

Pop wouldn't pair Andy with Duncan for the same reason he doesn't pair Splitter with Duncan. Both players can't shoot. Diaw would still start because of his shooting abilities, so paying 9m/year for a backup Center is not a good idea. Plus, Andy is older and he is injury-prone.

I am not against trading Splitter if it brings a good starting PF to be paired with Duncan. Varejao is not this guy. At least not in Pop's offensive scheme.

I'd argue that Duncan is as good, if not better, shooter than Diaw. Sure, Diaw has 3-point range, but he's not all that good from distance. Duncan is money from midrange.

Brazil
08-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Hell yes

spurraider21
08-15-2012, 10:46 PM
I'd rather overpay a younger splitter than varajao who can't stay on the court

spurs10
08-15-2012, 10:56 PM
I'd argue that Duncan is as good, if not better, shooter than Diaw. Sure, Diaw has 3-point range, but he's not all that good from distance. Duncan is money from midrange.
I believe he's saying Tiago and Varejao aren't shooters, not Tim...

T Park
08-16-2012, 02:09 AM
In a new York minute.

G-Dawgg
08-16-2012, 02:09 AM
I think Splitter is still better for us than Varejao. I believe he is a better offensive player. He is actually not as bad as people think he is on the low block. Sure he had a bad OKC series offensively, unable to produce in the post against smaller defenders but that was one series where he was a little demoralized. It is in his character to bounce back. He is after all a proven and tested former MVP. I believe he still hasn't shown us what he is fully capable of doing in this league.

I'm not saying that he's going to be star material, but he is a very quick 7 footer, I think he plays both sides of the ball very well, and still hasn't gotten an opportunity to fully show what he can do.

therealtruth
08-16-2012, 07:35 AM
I wouldn't.

It's more than that. He plays Blair and Duncan together. He has something personal against Splitter.

therealtruth
08-16-2012, 07:35 AM

He lost confidence in his jumper against OKC and I think that hurt us.

therealtruth
08-16-2012, 07:37 AM
I think Splitter is still better for us than Varejao. I believe he is a better offensive player. He is actually not as bad as people think he is on the low block. Sure he had a bad OKC series offensively, unable to produce in the post against smaller defenders but that was one series where he was a little demoralized. It is in his character to bounce back. He is after all a proven and tested former MVP. I believe he still hasn't shown us what he is fully capable of doing in this league.

I'm not saying that he's going to be star material, but he is a very quick 7 footer, I think he plays both sides of the ball very well, and still hasn't gotten an opportunity to fully show what he can do.

Splitter showed enough glimpses during the season but as long as Pop is the coach I am not sure how well he will develop.

ohmwrecker
08-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Good question, tbh. Varejao has hit his ceiling as a player IMO. Splitter might have higher potential offensively, but that's remains to be seen. If Splitter had half of Varejao's ferocity, he would undoubtedly be the better player.

Spurs da champs
08-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Although Splitter just might eventually earn a contract that even Omer Asik would be surprised at....

Your overrating Splitter's value, he doesn't play defense well or rebound well, at least Asik was a defensive presence. As for Splitter being traded, I'm sick & tired of this dude he's soft as hell & gets bullied by Derek Fisher, nuff said.

8FOR!3
08-16-2012, 10:47 AM
It's more than that. He plays Blair and Duncan together. He has something personal against Splitter.

Something personal against Splitter. That's so stupid. Pop does what he thinks is best to win. Whether it's right or it's wrong, it's what he thinks gives us the best chance. Anybody who undermines that undermines our 4 championships and is an idiot.

widowmaker
08-16-2012, 05:55 PM
No but I would do is hire Hakeem Olajuwon to show him back to the basket moves.

SpurNation
08-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Absolutely.

therealtruth
08-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Good question, tbh. Varejao has hit his ceiling as a player IMO. Splitter might have higher potential offensively, but that's remains to be seen. If Splitter had half of Varejao's ferocity, he would undoubtedly be the better player.

Remains to be seen? You forgot about the Splitter that was scoring at will during the RRT?

ohmwrecker
08-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Remains to be seen? You forgot about the Splitter that was scoring at will during the RRT?

On a consistent level and in the playoffs . . . yes. Remains to be seen.

100%duncan
08-16-2012, 09:10 PM
no

Brazil
08-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Yes you trade him no question

Wild Cobra Kai
08-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Varejao is tougher and a MUCH better rebounder. If you want to keep Splitter after this year, you're going to have to pay him the Varejao kind of money anyway, so why not do it one year earlier, and get rid of two playoff chokers in SPlitter and Bonner. We get a better player and CLE gets salary relief.

-21-
08-17-2012, 02:22 AM
After giving it much thought, yes I would.

Splitter is a slightly better offensive player and still has a chance to develop. Varejao's major advantage over Splitter is his rebounding and hustle. He can be a beast on the boards and make those little plays that help you win. Defensively, I think they are equally skilled but Tiago's toughness (or lack thereof) gives Varejao the edge. Plus, Pop's lack of trust in Tiago makes it easier to make this desicion tbh.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-21-2012, 04:39 AM
This turned into a good thread while I wasn't watching. Well done to all. "tu

Interesting how this question splits people right down the middle.

therealtruth
08-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Splitter should have been trying to workout with Olajuwon this summer. Even Duncan could probably use a refresher.

Fireball
08-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Olajuwon is not able to work out with all centers of the league ... he might do that for Kobe, Dwight or Amare, but not for our guy Splitter

rmt
08-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Something personal against Splitter. That's so stupid. Pop does what he thinks is best to win. Whether it's right or it's wrong, it's what he thinks gives us the best chance. Anybody who undermines that undermines our 4 championships and is an idiot.

Disagree. Pop is human like everyone else and has his biases. Can't tell me he didn't/doesn't have man-love for Finley and Bonner. He definitely babies some players and are tough on others (Splitter being one of them). Look how he went ballistic on Tiago for not doubling who was it Durant. A mistake like that and he's benched. When Finley made mistakes, he wasn't benched vs Barry in comparison. It took the 30 point beat down from LAL for Pop to even play TD and Tiago together. When I see the lack of quality in big men around the league, I wonder why Tiago sits on the bench so much. Wouldn't blame him if he leaves when his contract is up.

phxspurfan
08-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Splitter may be at his peak value some time next regular season, if he repeats the performance he had last year. So even though it doesn't look like a bad trade value-wise, obviously Splitter may have a higher ceiling. So I would keep him and try and trade him at a higher value point before he gets hurt (inevitably) again.