PDA

View Full Version : "Live" songs or albums

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't get the charm of this shit, especially if you're not actually there to see it. For the most part, I really am not a fan of them. Of course there are certain exceptions, but IDGAF about somebody else's hand-me-down experiences crammed into an album. Give me the studio rip that doesn't have piss-poor sound quality...if i want the live version I'll go and see them myself.

cantthinkofanything
08-15-2012, 12:44 PM
I thought Throwing Copper is easily their best work.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/09/Livecopper.jpg/220px-Livecopper.jpg

But everything after Secret Samadhi was kind of hit and miss.

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
I didn't expect someone to pick up on the ambiguity that quick

leemajors
08-15-2012, 12:48 PM
I agree for the most part as well, but this one is just sounds great :cry:

vCsPREccwSI

CuckingFunt
08-15-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't get the charm of this shit, especially if you're not actually there to see it. For the most part, I really am not a fan of them. Of course there are certain exceptions, but IDGAF about somebody else's hand-me-down experiences crammed into an album. Give me the studio rip that doesn't have piss-poor sound quality...if i want the live version I'll go and see them myself.

I've always felt the same way. I almost universally prefer studio tracks.

When I was younger, though, I used to occasionally rent live concert videos (from Blockbuster! on VHS!!) and have enjoyed a few of them. Maybe having the video makes it feel like a more immersive live experience? Not sure. Could also be that the audio quality is better on the few that I've liked than it is on the live albums that I haven't liked. As an example, though, if the audio from his 1993 New York Big Band Concert DVD had been released as an album, it would probably be my favorite Harry Connick, Jr. album.

Although, now that I think about it, that might have something to do with the style of music. Most of the tracks from Louis Prima/Keeley Smith/Sam Butera albums and compilations are all live recordings from their club shows and they're great. Could be that swing/big band is better captured in live recordings than rock or hip hop or something else.

redzero
08-15-2012, 01:41 PM
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/af/b4/9a80c0a398a06620060bf110.L.jpg

It depends, really. Sometimes, the live versions are just better (pic related).

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 01:51 PM
^
lol@sig

DMC
08-15-2012, 02:23 PM
I agree with OP. I do like the unplugged versions of a lot of stuff, especially Alice in Chains, but for the most part, I prefer the studio releases.

Drachen
08-15-2012, 02:29 PM
I prefer studio releases, but I like live albums to give me a different perspective on the same song. Also, I like to hear artists just jam.

BTW, AIC unplugged was great!

redzero
08-15-2012, 02:58 PM
I listen to live albums to hear different (not necessarily better) versions of songs. Sometimes, the live versions will be better, sometimes they won't.

I guess it has more to do with wanting to hear more material from a band than anything.

Avante
08-15-2012, 03:48 PM
In 1941 Ala Lomax who worked for the Library of Congress was roaming the south looking to record rural America. One particulat trip he was looking for Robert Johnson, not knowing he'd been murdered some years earlier. After talking to some locals he was told about another guy who rivaled Robert...

Anyway..

Lomax ended up at the Stovall Plantation just outside Clarksdale Mississippi. He was looking for McKinley Morganfield. After proving he wasn't a cop (illegal moonshine biz) he coaxed Morganfield to record for him right there on his front porch.

This is the first time the world would hear Muddy Waters, the year 1941.

oDHDfThq6Nc (http://oDHDfThq6Nc)

vy65
08-15-2012, 04:17 PM
I agree for the most part, but damn ...

mcXYz0gtJeM

Avante
08-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I agree for the most part, but damn ...

mcXYz0gtJeM

The guy was discovered while serving time for murder in the infamous Angola Prison. He was first recorded right there in the prison. This isn't one of those but it is the original..."In The Pines"...the real title.

blI2dXHyBj0 (http://blI2dXHyBj0)

Avante
08-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Try...

blI2dXHyBj0 (http://blI2dXHyBj0)

symple19
08-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Blues albums, for instance, are almost always better live than studio. jmo

Would definitely agree on all other genre's of music with DD

Girasuck
08-15-2012, 04:40 PM
I like both, but I'm a fan of the raw emotion you get from a live performance. Especially if it's just a singer and a guitar. Nothing beats that IMO.

Halberto
08-15-2012, 11:26 PM
I think live albums are reserved for die-hard fans of the specific artist. I could listen to live RATM tracks any time, but not many other bands.

monosylab1k
08-15-2012, 11:56 PM
I thought Throwing Copper is easily their best work.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/09/Livecopper.jpg/220px-Livecopper.jpg

But everything after Secret Samadhi was kind of hit and miss.

Is your goal in every thread to simply find the easiest, most uninspired joke possible and spit it out before anybody else has the chance?

Viva Las Espuelas
08-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Yes

ohmwrecker
08-16-2012, 09:17 AM
The Live @ Leeds version of "A Quick One, While He's Away" is boss.

Sometimes a live version just has more energy and is impressive in it's difficulty to replicate from the studio version. I usually prefer the studio version because the artist has the time and tools to create the definitive version of a songs
, but you can also lose a lot of the energy of a live performance in the studio.

resistanze
08-16-2012, 10:09 AM
No Woman No Cry.

TheMACHINE
08-16-2012, 12:43 PM
i normally dont listen to live albums, but i do collect Blu-ray Concerts and watch them frequently or play it in the background when i have guest over.

Proxy
08-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Zeppelin's was impressive

mouse
08-17-2012, 08:52 AM
VnnQFLoCbWw

z0sa
08-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Floyd has some amazing live renditions in their earlier repertoire... their later ones were definitely in money grab territory although see DSOTM live wouldve been amazing.

mrsmaalox
08-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Floyd has some amazing live renditions in their earlier repertoire... their later ones were definitely in money grab territory although see DSOTM live wouldve been amazing.

"The Delicate Sound of Thunder" is probably my favorite live album.