PDA

View Full Version : The O.J. Simpson Appreciation Thread

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 02:49 PM
It's been nearly 40 years since the season that OJ rushed for over 2,000 yards--IN 14 GAMES. FOURTEEN FUCKING GAMES. Throw in the Naked Gun trilogy and I still love the guy.

:toastto The Juice

j1p5mgaT6mY
wCshBk9JC0c
n08mNz9f0FQ
infLrZjJpNc&feature=related

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
but he killed his goldigging wife and her gay coke dealer

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 03:07 PM
that bitch was triflin'

Avante
08-15-2012, 03:16 PM
The year was 1964/65? I 'm at the West Coast Relays in Fresno Cali, back then it was a big three day track fest. The next event on the track the JC 4x1 relay. Looking at the teams in the program I come to SFCC....Orenthal James Simpson...I thought "cool name". They won and 0.J. handled his second leg. Dude has a huge head.

It wouldn't be until a few years later that I found out while at SFCC he was the nations top JC running back. We all know his USC story.

He did run on a world record 4x1 team and was a legit 9.4 guy. Detroit Lion receiver/world class hurdler Earl McCullouch was on that 4x1 as was Fred Kuller a white cat who had held the JC record in the 100-9.3. The star of the team however was Jamaican Olympic silver/bronze (later on) stud Lennox Miller.

O.J. was big (215) and fast and elusive, yep, the total package. He is the only running back in NFL history to also hold a world record in track.

I have thought that just maybe he also suffers from some sort of brain damage (serious) from his days as a footballer.

I have a cool little book...The Running Backs...that totally breaks it al down. All those cats are there as are Emmitt and Barry and Marcus etc. No O.J.Simpson. You cannot talk NFL running backs and not talk O.J.Simpson.

vander
08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
saw title

thought "didn't Avante get pinked?"

Avante
08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
saw title

thought "didn't Avante get pinked?"

For a board about as dead as a doornail I'd think you people would enjoy anything. So many of you like you do nothing but bitch. Try adding not being a little wahwahwah. Here I sit a football historian totally up on the right now and little shits like you doing..0...are criticizing...:rolleyes

Don't bother responding I don't like hijacking threads.

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 03:41 PM
I actually enjoyed that little anecdote, Avante. You showed love to The Juice, you're cool in my book:tu

vander is a Chargers fan. Forgive him.

Avante
08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
I actually enjoyed that little anecdote, Avante. You showed love to The Juice, you're cool in my book:tu

vander is a Chargers fan. Forgive him.

There's only been a few of them, those guys who when they get the ball you get than feeling of anticipation, you know what I'm talking about. In my football watching days...Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders and O.J.Simpson....you just knew something special was going to happen.

We cool bro:hat

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 04:00 PM
There's only been a few of them, those guys who when they get the ball you get than feeling of anticipation, you know what I'm talking about. In my football watching days...Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders and O.J.Simpson....you just knew something special was going to happen.

We cool bro:hat
and Sweetness. To a lesser extent, Earl Campbell too. He had a short shelf-life due to the beating he took, but he delivered some beatdowns too.

JoeTait75
08-15-2012, 04:06 PM
tbh, while O.J.'s 2,000-yard campaign of 1973 is his best-known, his 1975 season might have been even better. Hung 227 yards on the Steel Curtain in Three Rivers that year, too.

Avante
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM
and Sweetness. To a lesser extent, Earl Campbell too. He had a short shelf-life due to the beating he took, but he delivered some beatdowns too.

Not knocking Payton/Campbell/Jimmy Brown/Dickerson etc but it was those three who had more of that...can go the distance at any time...thing working. Dickerson had that but he wasn't as exciting to watch doing it....if that makes any sense:rolleyes

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 04:19 PM
tbh, while O.J.'s 2,000-yard campaign of 1973 is his best-known, his 1975 season might have been even better. Hung 227 yards on the Steel Curtain in Three Rivers that year, too.
I saw America's Game: 1974, 75, and 78 Steeler season episodes on NFLN the other day and they talked about that game. Joe Greene was funny as hell when describing it. He just smiled and said, "yeah...sometimes shit happens.":lol

gaKNOW!blee
08-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Dude went for 273 on thanksgiving....that's a BAMF right there

benefactor
08-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Required viewing:

0yRA6sAO8xs

The Reckoning
08-15-2012, 07:49 PM
damn that boy carried the ball like a loaf of bread (talking about earl)

benefactor
08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
damn that boy carried the ball like a loaf of bread (talking about earl)
:lol I know right...it didn't matter though because he ran over every mother fucker that got close to him.

DeadlyDynasty
08-15-2012, 08:01 PM
:lol I know right...it didn't matter though because he ran over every mother fucker that got close to him.
The run at the 5:00 mark is his iconic one...crazy shit

benefactor
08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Yeah...when I watch this clip I usually rewind it a couple of times at that part. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone get run over like that in any game.

If we are ever able to perfect human cloning Earl should be the first in line.

Bill_Brasky
08-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Holy shit, once OJ got to that corner it was gamebo......

Avante
08-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Not the greatest because he didn't break tackles, but the most exciting runner ever. His stats don't message up because he only played 6 seasons. Yet he's still in the Hall of Fame and here's why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ftn68PZSws&feature=related

dbreiden83080
08-15-2012, 11:18 PM
WOW Who knew OJ played football?

Bill_Brasky
08-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Not the greatest because he didn't break tackles, but the most exciting runner ever. His stats don't message up because he only played 6 seasons. Yet he's still in the Hall of Fame and here's why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ftn68PZSws&feature=related

Oh my god....the very first highlight in that vid is the hardest I've ever seen any linebacker get juked.

Avante
08-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Oh my god....the very first highlight in that vid is the hardest I've ever seen any linebacker get juked.

I hear ya!

A few years before Sayers showed up the Bears had this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR1uP9qJ6Lg

...like Sayers he also only had a six season caeer, he was killed in a car wreck. He was out of Florida A&M and had a lot to do with recruiting Bullet Bob Hayes who was also a running back (Dallas made him a receiver).

Getting back to Sayers, he led the nation in the long jump his senior year in high school 24-11 I think it was. His older brother Roger was also a great footballer/sprinter at the U of Omaha, but since he was only 165 pounds there went the NFL. While at U of Omaha Roger did beat Bullet Bob in a 100, one of only two sprinters to ever do that in Hayes college career.

Just think the great Gale Sayers wasn't even the fastest in his family.

Avante
08-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Then there's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMddevnDyb0

He was also a long jumper while at Long Beach State...25-10, his son Eric..27-8.

benefactor
08-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Man Sayers was smooth. I've heard play by play guys say that Foster reminds them of Sayers some when he gets in the open field. I can see where they get that now, as they both have very fluid open field cuts that they execute without ever slowing down.

Avante
08-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Man Sayers was smooth. I've heard play by play guys say that Foster reminds them of Sayers some when he gets in the open field. I can see where they get that now, as they both have very fluid open field cuts that they execute without ever slowing down.

Very smooth and had that vision all the great ones possess.

People forget that coming out of College Brian Piccolo out of Wake Forest led the nation in rushing. How the Bears ended up with the nations leading rusher, Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus in the same draft...?