PDA

View Full Version : WTF is up with the hate for Duncan?

E20
06-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Detroit has one of the best frontcourts in the NBA, cross that they have the BEST frontcourt in the NBA. Now why can't people accept the fact that Timmy could have had bad games against such defensively talented players. Why doesn't everybody talk about Shaq's bad games. Why don't we look at there numbers?

Shaq:
Game 1: 20 PTS, 5 REBS, 3 BLKS, 2 TO's
Game 2: 17 PTS, 10 REBS, 2 BLKS, 2 TO's
Game 3: 24 PTS, 6 REBS, 1 BLK, 3 TO's
Game 4: 12 PTS, 5 REBS, 0 BLK, 1 TO
Game 5: 20 PTS, 5 REBS, 0 BLK, 3 TO's
Game 6: 24 PTS, 13 REBS, 5 BLKS, 6 TO's
Game 7: 27 PTS, 9 REBS, 3 BLKS, 5 TO's

AVERAGES:
20.5 PPG
6.1 RPG
1.7 BPG
3.1 TPG

Why don't we look at Tim Duncan's line in 7 games against that very same team?

Tim Duncan:
Game 1: 24 PTS, 17 REBS, 2 BLKS, 3 TO's
Game 2: 18 PTS, 11 REBS, 4 BLKS, 2 TO's
Game 3: 14 PTS, 10 REBS, 1 BLKS, 2 TO's
Game 4: 16 PTS, 16 REBS, 3 BLKS, 3 TO's
Game 5: 26 PTS, 19 REBS, 2 BLKS, 2 TO's
Game 6: 21 PTS, 15 REBS, 1 BLK, 0 TO
Game 7: 25 PTS, 11 REBS, 2 BLKS, 5 TO's

AVERAGES:
20.5 PPG
14.1 RPG
2.1 BPG
2.4 TPG

Besides the points Timmy wins every catogery. So why is Timmy labeled soft while everybody's favorite center - Shaq isn't?

Shaq had to play with a sore toe or something like that and Tim had to play with two sprained ankles. Is that what kept these two players from dominating there opponents? Why isn't Shaq labeled soft when he averages less than Timmy and his team lost? Why didn't Shaq toughen up and show them the big diseal(sp) in the absence of Dwyane Wade? Is it because he is soft?

If by these numbers, his third finals MVP and his third NBA champion against a frontcourt like Detroit makes Tim soft, then what is Shaq?

ShoogarBear
06-25-2005, 04:29 AM
There are lots of people on this board who don't truly appreciate what Tim Duncan does. Why should we expect the national media to?

Sense
06-25-2005, 04:36 AM
Heh, Shaq was already given an image, he's already one of the 50 greatest players....

It's all about the media when it comes to Duncan...

AI-square
06-25-2005, 04:42 AM
As long as the Spurs fans know what a player Duncan is, that's all that matters. Of course, if the Spurs keep getting to the Finals then the media will shut their traps sooner rather than later.

polandprzem
06-25-2005, 04:42 AM
Damn that, peopole do not realize who TIM DUNCAN is. I've got that kind of problem in 'my' polish forum.
"The best interior defens in history of trhe NBA" , and it is true.
Tim was alone out there (Nazr not a great center yet) and was playing with those injuries. And without Duncan there is no spursv system.
And I can see it, Pop can see it, Manu , tony and the rest of the team can see it.

And they still telling me that I am blind.

ShoogarBear
06-25-2005, 08:36 AM
As long as the Spurs fans know what a player Duncan is, that's all that matters.
The problem is, too many of them don't.

smackdaddy11
06-25-2005, 08:38 AM
I was waiting for this comparison. Everyone will say Shaq was injured. So was TD.

Shaq in last years finals against Detroit:

26.6 ppg
10.8 rpg
.631 FG%
.491 FT%
1.6 apg
.4 spg
.6 bpg
2.8 topg

FG% and points is the only place Shaq has better numbers against the same front court Tim faced. The increaseg fg% doesn't justify only getting 6 more ppg.

No bagging on Shaq from last year. Gotta love the media. Noone wants to not be invited to South Beach parties, I guess.

JamStone
06-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Dang, some of y'all Spurs fans are seriously paranoid about this Duncan thing.

"Why does everyone hate on Duncan?"
"Why do people think KG is better than Duncan?"
"Why do people call Duncan soft?"
"Why isn't Duncan considered the best player in the universe and best player of all time?"

Seriously, stop. Sure, there were critics all through this series questioning Duncan's toughness and ability to lead his team without David Robinson. Sure, there will still be critics that say Duncan lacks the pizzazz or flare of Shaquille O'Neal or Allen Iverson. And, sure people will still argue whether he or KG is the better player.

BUT ...

Come on. There are FAR MANY other people, critics, fans who show Tim Duncan his proper respect. Even before this series ended, there were plenty of people even outside of San Antonio who considered Tim Duncan a guaranteed first ballot Hall of Famer. Plenty of people considered Duncan the best player in the league. For petesake, he's been 1st team all NBA every season he's been in the league, League MVP two times, an allstar all 8 seasons as well. Obviously, coaches, fans, and sportswriters alike know that Tim Duncan is a great player.

And, then in the wake of a championship and 3rd MVP for Tim Duncan, a Spurs messageboard is cluttered with threads about Duncan not getting his due?!?!?!

WHAT?!?!?!?!

Please stop with the paranoia. Disarm the defense mechanism that is the perception that San Antonio and Tim Duncan don't get enough attention, respect, or accolades. Not every single person on the planet is going to get on their knees to orally pleasure Tim Duncan every chance they get. There will be haters. There will be doubters. But, you guys make it sound like there's a whole government task force trained and readied to bring down Tim Duncan.

It's just not the case.