PDA

View Full Version : Next Offseason

swaggerjackson
08-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Do we have money next offseason? I know Ginobili, Jackson, and Tiago are coming off the payroll, but do we have enough to lure say Ibaka to SA? I know Ginobili and Jackson will certainly take a pay cut and Tiago's future with the team seems to cloudy. But I am just wondering if we have the option to big players in the free agent market (ignoring the fact that SA doesn't attract free agents)

Seventyniner
08-16-2012, 07:36 PM
~$14.2M in cap space next summer if my numbers are right. Shamsports shows ~$20.3M in committed salaries for 2013-2014 (including Leonard's team option but not Joseph's, assuming the Spurs waive Bonner and only pay the $1M guaranteed, and that the Spurs pick up Splitter's QO) plus Duncan $10M, Diaw $4.5M, Green $4M, Mills $1M = $43.8M, assuming cap of around $58M like this season. Not enough for a max FA. Renouncing Splitter or salary-dumping Diaw or Green can increase this, but that's what it would take to get a max FA. Please correct me if I'm wrong on the numbers.

swaggerjackson
08-16-2012, 08:42 PM
So probably not enough to retain manu, jax, splitter and get a major free agent. Thanks

Andthentherewas21
08-16-2012, 08:46 PM
~$14.2M in cap space next summer if my numbers are right. Shamsports shows ~$20.3M in committed salaries for 2013-2014 (including Leonard's team option but not Joseph's, assuming the Spurs waive Bonner and only pay the $1M guaranteed, and that the Spurs pick up Splitter's QO) plus Duncan $10M, Diaw $4.5M, Green $4M, Mills $1M = $43.8M, assuming cap of around $58M like this season. Not enough for a max FA. Renouncing Splitter or salary-dumping Diaw or Green can increase this, but that's what it would take to get a max FA. Please correct me if I'm wrong on the numbers.

You forgot that both Jackson and Manu have cap-holds that count against the cap until they are renounced or signed. If they are signed, there goes the 14.8 in free space. Secondly even if they pick up Splitter's QO, he'll get offers at least similar to the $8 million Asik received.

Seventyniner
08-16-2012, 10:26 PM
You forgot that both Jackson and Manu have cap-holds that count against the cap until they are renounced or signed. If they are signed, there goes the 14.8 in free space. Secondly even if they pick up Splitter's QO, he'll get offers at least similar to the $8 million Asik received.

I'm assuming that the Spurs renounce both Manu (retirement) and Jackson (not worth the cap hold). Splitter getting an Asik-like offer only increases the Spurs' cap space, because IMO there's no way the Spurs match a 5/5/14 deal like Asik's.

Andthentherewas21
08-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Then yes, we would have a fair amount of cap space. However then we are stuck with enough to offer around one max level contract, at the expense of a starting (borderline all-star when healthy) SG, the best backup Center in the league, and a pretty damn good (though currently overpaid) backup SF. Not to mention with Blair's contract being up, and Bonner's proposed buyout, the frontcourt would then only consist of Duncan and Diaw if Diaw decides not to opt out of his player option.

Spurs should be set on guards though.

Duncan2177
08-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Is Josh Smith a free agent next summer?

benefactor
08-17-2012, 05:30 AM
:lol having money
:lol the Spurs luring free agents

elemento
08-17-2012, 06:03 AM
I'm assuming that the Spurs renounce both Manu (retirement) and Jackson (not worth the cap hold). Splitter getting an Asik-like offer only increases the Spurs' cap space, because IMO there's no way the Spurs match a 5/5/14 deal like Asik's.

Teams can't offer a deal like that because the Arenas rule is not applied to Splitter. SA has full bird rights.

SA can simply wait to give Splitter a new contract considering he only counts for his QO, manage to re-sign their FAs and then re-sign Splitter.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-17-2012, 06:49 AM
Teams can't offer a deal like that because the Arenas rule is not applied to Splitter. SA has full bird rights.

SA can simply wait to give Splitter a new contract considering he only counts for his QO, manage to re-sign their FAs and then re-sign Splitter.

I don't want to waste that money on that mangina, Splitter.

elemento
08-17-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't want to waste that money on that mangina, Splitter.

You may not want, but the Spurs FO may want.