PDA

View Full Version : Sons looking to by camcorder...need input

Amarelooms
08-16-2012, 10:26 PM
whats a good brand & model for under $700. Looking to use it mainly during my wedding and honeymoon. HD would be nice. God bless

:elephant

TDMVPDPOY
08-16-2012, 11:10 PM
for that amount money, might as well buy a DSLR camera that does 1080 HD recording...

KoolAid Mans Brother
08-16-2012, 11:23 PM

mouse
08-17-2012, 07:17 AM
If you want serious input go to the SAFilm facebook page not only will they recomemnd something good I have seen local film producers sell 3,500,00 dollars worth of equipment for less than 850.00 dollars.

If the wedding is local PM me the date and location I will bring my Flip HD and shoot a mini Doc

DarkReign
08-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Not a Sony cam, for sure. Bought mine and didnt realize you needed to install their proprietary software in order to get your movies off the cam itself.

It sucks beyond belief. Fuck Sony.

lefty
08-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Not a Sony cam, for sure. Bought mine and didnt realize you needed to install their proprietary software in order to get your movies off the cam itself.

We need more Darkreign in the hockey threads

Slomo
08-17-2012, 10:20 AM

Assuming you have a camera that record on a HDD or SD card you don't need their software.

You just need to find the correct folder and copy the files like any other.

VLC player can playback those without problem. Or if you invest in an Xtreamer hardware player, it will playback them as well.

The software is just supposed to make the task easier (it doesn't).

Slomo
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Sony DSC-HX100V:
http://photorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/sony-CyberShot-HX7V.jpeg
Decent photo camera that makes nice HD videos mainly because of its very good image stabilization.

I believe there's even a newer (better?) model available.

If you don't like SONY then you can go for a similar camera from Nikon (basically the same feature set).

CoolPix510

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/performance/p510/img/product_01.png

I'm recommending those types because if video is not your thing you get a good digital still camera that shoots good video. If video is your thing then a more dedicated camera would probably be better. In that case I would look at SONY and Canon, just because they know how to make video cameras better than anybody else.

And no you don't need any proprietary software if you don't want any.

DarkReign
08-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Assuming you have a camera that record on a HDD or SD card you don't need their software.

You just need to find the correct folder and copy the files like any other.

VLC player can playback those without problem. Or if you invest in an Xtreamer hardware player, it will playback them as well.

The software is just supposed to make the task easier (it doesn't).

No shit? The video cam records on an HDD and I tried copying the video files manually and playing them. No (mainstream) video player would play them, but I am not going to pretend to know an extensive number (WMP, Real, Quicktime, DivX).

VLC, huh? I am going to check that out. If it does work, add another spur.

Slomo
08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
No shit? The video cam records on an HDD and I tried copying the video files manually and playing them. No (mainstream) video player would play them, but I am not going to pretend to know an extensive number (WMP, Real, Quicktime, DivX).

VLC, huh? I am going to check that out. If it does work, add another spur.

Yes VLC is the answer to 95% of computer video questions :)

If it doesn't work tell me the name of files it records, specifically the file extension. It should be .M2TS or .MTS, but with Sony you never know.