PDA

View Full Version : Pop - Filling Out Coaching Staff

ace3g
08-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Buck Harvey ‏@Buck_SA

Those Popovich is considering to fill out his staff: Ex-players Buck Williams, out in Portland, and Randy Livingston, a D League coach.

Buck Harvey ‏@Buck_SA

And the one I would like to see return to work with Popovich: Robert Horry, who has said in the past he would be interested in coaching.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Buck Harvey ‏@Buck_SA

Those Popovich is considering to fill out his staff: Ex-players Buck Williams, out in Portland, and Randy Livingston, a D League coach.

Buck Harvey ‏@Buck_SA

And the one I would like to see return to work with Popovich: Robert Horry, who has said in the past he would be interested in coaching.

Not sure Horry has the ethic to work on the bench. He was relaxed to the point of not doing anything from November to April. That's not exactly coaching resume fodder.

lmbebo
08-17-2012, 08:34 PM
I think Horry has a lot to teach, but I think he would be a lifetime asst coach.

Andthentherewas21
08-17-2012, 08:38 PM
I think Horry has a lot to teach, but I think he would be a lifetime asst coach.

True but that goes for half the head coaches in the NBA, at least Horry would be relegated to the proper level

timtonymanu
08-17-2012, 08:59 PM
I would like to see TJ Ford become a part of the coaching staff.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-17-2012, 09:38 PM
I would like to see TJ Ford become a part of the coaching staff.

PGs almost always make good coaches. They have to know the whole play, not just their part, and it gives them a deeper knowledge of the game.

tmtcsc
08-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Buck Harvey ‏@Buck_SA

Buck Harvey ‏@Buck_SA

Interesting....my wife saw Robert Horry in town yesterday at Mama Lee's. -- Awesome Fried Chicken by the way. You can also get Kool-Aid to drink. How cool is that ? Be careful if you go there, you are bound to gain weight.

http://mamaleessoulfoodtx.com/

Fabbs
08-17-2012, 10:59 PM
No way Bob Horry is gonna be another of Pops "Yes Men".

Aint gonna happen.

Concur also Horry does not want full time+.

ploto
08-17-2012, 11:09 PM
The Horry idea is interesting because I heard a while back that another former Spur might be coming back to work for the team. I thought it might be TJ Ford.

stxspurs
08-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Interesting....my wife saw Robert Horry in town yesterday at Mama Lee's. -- Awesome Fried Chicken by the way. You can also get Kool-Aid to drink. How cool is that ? Be careful if you go there, you are bound to gain weight.

that place is garbage...we ate there after they were on resturant impossible and it was horrible. ill warn everyone about that place.

racm
08-17-2012, 11:35 PM
I'd like Ford on the coaching staff a la Jacque Vaughn. Though to be fair Ford was more of a real player.

DMC
08-18-2012, 12:21 AM
Nate McMillan and Mike D... lol

spurs1990
08-18-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm more intrigued with Randy Livingston. I remember how ballyhooed he was coming out of high school, and IIRC left LSU after only 2 seasons, and bounced around the league in miscellaneous stints.

Surprising that he's a coach and I'd like to see what he would bring to the Spurs.
Maybe another Mario Elie?

Dr. John R. Brinkley
08-18-2012, 01:51 AM
Buck Williams could be interesting. I didn't know he was coaching but I remember him as a talented rebounding power forward. He might take over Don Newman's role.

Bruno
08-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Buck Williams was in Portland primary a bigmen coach. It's likely that Spurs will bring him to take that same spot. When I see the results, Spurs haven't strike me as a team able to develop a lot their bigs. it's a good news they hire someone to fill that role. Blair and Splitter might appreciate the help.

Randy Livingston record as a D-League coach is quite bad but it's hard to judge a D-League coach on his results given the unstable nature of this league.

Both have too a low profile. Buck Williams has had a great career as player but as a coach, it's only 2 years as an NBA assistant. Livingston hasn't coached outside the D-League. I guess they will be at first lower level assistant coaches and that there will have too some internal promotions to fill the holes.

dbestpro
08-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Jabbar has always been under appreciated. If you're gonna bring in a big man coach you might as well bring in one of the best players of all time who wants to coach. Lambeer has also always impressed me as a coach.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-18-2012, 10:18 AM
I guess Stotts gave the whole Portland staff the heave-ho, including legacies like Buck. I remember him as a tough hombre in both NJ and Portland. I think if the Blazers hadn't acquired him from NJ, the 89-90 Spurs would have made a Finals appearance.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Jabbar has always been under appreciated. If you're gonna bring in a big man coach you might as well bring in one of the best players of all time who wants to coach. Lambeer has also always impressed me as a coach.

Jabbar is a butt hurt whiner. LA won't even put up with him, and you think Pop might?

DMC
08-18-2012, 01:18 PM
The best players don't necessarily make the best coaches. They might have ability, but that ability but that doesn't mean they can teach it. You need someone who understands why they were successful and can illustrate it to others without using old footage.

baseline bum
08-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Buck Williams could be a really interesting option. He was one of the hardest mothers in a league that included guys like Oakley, PJ BRown, Ewing, Stockton, etc, and he would easily command a lot of respect from the younger players. Williams always seemed to have a really strong work-ethic too. I think I'd love to see him get a shot here.

baseline bum
08-18-2012, 01:33 PM

Looks like a good menu, but where's the sweet potato pie?

ducks
08-18-2012, 01:35 PM
hire the dream but he would command 150k for every 2 weeks

T Park
08-19-2012, 02:34 AM
personally think he needs to hire a defensive coordinator type and a good one.

Dont quite understand the hub ub over Randy Livingston and if Buck Williams is a bigs developer, his resume sucks so far.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-19-2012, 06:29 PM
personally think he needs to hire a defensive coordinator type and a good one.

Dont quite understand the hub ub over Randy Livingston and if Buck Williams is a bigs developer, his resume sucks so far.

LaMarcus Aldridge went from good young big to All NBA on his watch.

dylankerouac
08-19-2012, 10:10 PM
LaMarcus Aldridge went from good young big to All NBA on his watch.

Great point. Bring him in!