PDA

View Full Version : Serge Ibaka signs 4-year extension

smaka
08-18-2012, 06:44 AM
"@WojYahooNBA: Serge Ibaka deal is 4 years, $48 million, league source tells Y! Sports."

discuss please

LkrFan
08-18-2012, 06:51 AM
There goes my 2014 plan to replace Pau :pctoss

racm
08-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Sam Presti, you smart card.

Now only if you don't extend Harden and instead match an egregious offer sheet for him so you either have to amnesty Perkins or go into luxury tax territory... :lol

TDMVPDPOY
08-18-2012, 07:24 AM
12m a year for this clown? lol

Tuddy
08-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Bye bye harden. big call

baseline bum
08-18-2012, 07:46 AM
It'll probably cost them something like $2-3 million in luxury tax to bring Harden back in 2013-14 while retaining Perkins. You guys are making it sound like the end of the world. Maynor and Aldrich (2013-14 team options) are the guys on the chopping block, not Perkins.

racm
08-18-2012, 07:53 AM
It'll probably cost them something like $2-3 million in luxury tax to bring Harden back in 2013-14 while retaining Perkins. You guys are making it sound like the end of the world. Maynor and Aldrich (2013-14 team options) are the guys on the chopping block, not Perkins.

I think it's whatever happens with Thabeet (will OKC work their magic on him? :lmao) that decides what happens in the 2013 offseason.

Meanwhile they take a point guard in the draft or sign a vet min guy.

baseline bum
08-18-2012, 07:59 AM
I think it's whatever happens with Thabeet (will OKC work their magic on him? :lmao) that decides what happens in the 2013 offseason.

Meanwhile they take a point guard in the draft or sign a vet min guy.

They really only have to pay that small luxury tax for one year, since Sefalosha is an expiring contract in 2013-14.

Clipper Nation
08-18-2012, 08:34 AM
:lol Flop So Harden getting left out in the cold
:lol ChokeKC's stolen team getting split up

Pelicans78
08-18-2012, 10:16 AM
12 million is a fair deal for his production in OKC. He probably wouldn't be worth as much anywhere else except on a contender.

rayjayjohnson
08-18-2012, 10:29 AM
he got Nene money and is more deserving. good move tbh.

DPG21920
08-18-2012, 10:56 AM
At this point, it's a very fair deal and I think smart to get that locked up. If he can improve at all (which even last year he showed some improved ball handling and ability to drive + a jump shot) it will end up being a very good contract.

If you had to choose vs him and Harden, I would have choosen Ibaka too - but they still have a chance to keep them all and I guess a lot depends on how this year goes. If they are still in the mix and LA isn't so dominate, I suspect they might be willing to keep them together.

Harden will probably be in the 10-12M range, so next year, even with Ibaka's contract, that would put the Thunder at 67M with Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka/Harden/Perkins/Thabo/Collison/Aldrich/Hayward/Jackson, so they could quite easily avoid the LT if they wanted to.

Pelicans78
08-18-2012, 11:08 AM
At this point, it's a very fair deal and I think smart to get that locked up. If he can improve at all (which even last year he showed some improved ball handling and ability to drive + a jump shot) it will end up being a very good contract.

If you had to choose vs him and Harden, I would have choosen Ibaka too - but they still have a chance to keep them all and I guess a lot depends on how this year goes. If they are still in the mix and LA isn't so dominate, I suspect they might be willing to keep them together.

Harden will probably be in the 10-12M range, so next year, even with Ibaka's contract, that would put the Thunder at 67M with Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka/Harden/Perkins/Thabo/Collison/Aldrich/Hayward/Jackson, so they could quite easily avoid the LT if they wanted to.

If Harden repeats the season he had last season, albeit the Finals, he will command 14-15 million like Gordon.

DPG21920
08-18-2012, 11:10 AM
I doubt he will make more money than Westbrook & Ibaka, but it's possible.

Pelicans78
08-18-2012, 11:15 AM
I doubt he will make more money than Westbrook & Ibaka, but it's possible.

He may not get it from OKC, but I'm sure some other teams will offer. There are desperate GMs out there trying to fool the owners and fan bases. I wasn't surprised Gordon got his max offer from the Suns. Im sure Harden can get something similar if he repeats his performance from last season.

da_suns_fan
08-18-2012, 11:15 AM

Your math is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off. Probably because youre looking at hoopshype which, for some reason, doesnt have Westbrook's contract filled in.

So add 13-15 million per season for the next five years.

Theyre at 70 million this year without Ibaka's extension. To keep this years roster together next year will be in the neighborhood of 100 million.

da_suns_fan
08-18-2012, 11:17 AM
If Im OKC im shipping off the extremely overrated WestBrick and keeping Harden.

Trade WestBrick to Toronto for Carl Landry, Ed Davis and Calderon's expiring deal.

JMarkJohns
08-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Trade Westbrook or Harden to Phoenix for Morris, Marshall and multiple 1sts. Suns can absorb money, so instant savings, and the Suns now have lots of 1sts to play with and with their drafting, I'd rather they be included in trade for proven NBA talent.

baseline bum
08-18-2012, 12:28 PM

Nah, Harden is going to land a deal starting at $14-15 million or so. Where the negotiation will be is whether he gets raises every year,

ElNono
08-18-2012, 12:31 PM
market value, tbh... maybe a bit on the high side, but you'll expect he'll cash in after reaching the Finals... truth be told, this was probably a no brainer: defensive bigs are hard to come by...

baseline bum
08-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Your math is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off. Probably because youre looking at hoopshype which, for some reason, doesnt have Westbrook's contract filled in.

So add 13-15 million per season for the next five years.

Theyre at 70 million this year without Ibaka's extension. To keep this years roster together next year will be in the neighborhood of 100 million.

I assumed $14 million for Westbrook and that Harden's deal will come in at $14 million. Ibaka's 4 years, $48 million deal is such an even number it makes it sound like a flat $12M per.

For 2013-14

Durant: $18.8M
Westbrook: $14M
Harden: $14M
Ibaka: $12M
Perkins: $8.5M
Sefalosha: $3.9M
Collison: $2.6M
Jones: $1.1M
Thabeet: $0.9M

TOTAL: $75.8M

I figured on the cap rising a couple million for next year and thus the luxury tax levle rising a bit more (since it's a higher percentage of BRI). I did neglect the minimum salaries to fill out the remaining 4 slots on the roster though. Then Sefalosha's deal expires at the end of the season and Perkins' the end of the next. They're not going to be anywhere close to the Lakers' luxury tax hell; I don't see where you're getting that $100M payroll idea from.

InRareForm
08-18-2012, 02:35 PM
compare to deandre jordan, it seems like a better deal tbh..

lefty
08-18-2012, 03:16 PM

Trade WestBrick to Toronto for Carl Landry, Ed Davis and Calderon's expiring deal.
yup

whitemamba
08-18-2012, 03:37 PM

i cant believe that monkey got so much cash

Clipper Nation
08-18-2012, 10:09 PM

Seriously, fuck the Warriors for saddling us with DeContract.... :lol

Latarian Milton
08-19-2012, 01:55 AM
fair price for this nig imho and if westchuck accepts a similar one then they would possibly have a chance to keep all these 4, but what we know is he's pursuing a max contract. dude thinks he's as good as durant when he's nowhere close, he'll probably get overpaid but OKC wont be the team that gives him the exorbitant money he never deserves tbh

DPG21920
08-19-2012, 10:12 AM
fair price for this nig imho and if westchuck accepts a similar one then they would possibly have a chance to keep all these 4, but what we know is he's pursuing a max contract. dude thinks he's as good as durant when he's nowhere close, he'll probably get overpaid but OKC wont be the team that gives him the exorbitant money he never deserves tbh

You realize Westbrook already signed an extension?

-21-
08-19-2012, 02:49 PM

Trade Westbrook or Harden to Phoenix for Morris, Marshall and multiple 1sts. Suns can absorb money, so instant savings, and the Suns now have lots of 1sts to play with and with their drafting, I'd rather they be included in trade for proven NBA talent.

If we're talkin about trading Westbrook, then I'd trade him for Rondo. At least Rondo won't be stealing Durant's shots and would actually pass the ball to him while Westbrook gets his own team in Boston.

-21-
08-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Although I think $48M/4 yrs. is overpaying for Ibaka, when you compare it to these deals it seems pretty fair.

JaVale McGee: $44M/4 yrs.
DeAndre Jordan: $43M/4 yrs.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-19-2012, 06:09 PM
You realize Westbrook already signed an extension?

Don't stop him, he's on a roll

/Otter

Findog
08-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Harden is an All-Star caliber talent and a guy who is capable of being a #2 on a championship team. They already have a #1 guy (Durant) and another #2 (Westbrook). We're in the era of Big Threes when it comes to roster construction. Ibaka is a good player, but he's not worth keeping at the expense of Harden. He's a very good role player, and you can bring somebody in to do the things he does at a much smaller price.

Latarian Milton
08-19-2012, 07:28 PM
a defensive big of ibaka's quality might be even more rare than a 34yr old virgin in today's NBA tbh. beard nigga is overhyped and he has literally trashed himself with his garbage performances in NBA finals and the olympic games imho

jag
08-19-2012, 08:51 PM
I think Harden is overvalued. It doesn't help that he put on 20 pounds since the Finals.

racm
08-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Harden is an All-Star caliber talent and a guy who is capable of being a #2 on a championship team. They already have a #1 guy (Durant) and another #2 (Westbrook). We're in the era of Big Threes when it comes to roster construction. Ibaka is a good player, but he's not worth keeping at the expense of Harden. He's a very good role player, and you can bring somebody in to do the things he does at a much smaller price.

Did you watch him go 2-10 two games in a row in the Finals?

I think Harden is overvalued. It doesn't help that he put on 20 pounds since the Finals.

And now looks like Rick Ross.

venky
08-21-2012, 01:15 AM

Seriously? Did you not see the past Finals? Westbrook played very well, even had a spectacular 43 point game.

In fact, it was Harden who disappeared and who you could blame for the Thunder losing. The dude choked, he did not show up at all.

Clipper Nation
08-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Harden is an All-Star caliber talent and a guy who is capable of being a #2 on a championship team.
He played like #2 on a championship team, but that doesn't make him the second option..... :lol

In reality, Harden is elite at flopping and making the subsequent free throws, otherwise, he's grotesquely overrated, tbh.....

Kidd K
08-23-2012, 02:36 AM
The wiser basketball fans probably already saw this coming.

It was very unlikely that they keep James Harden because he was going to be getting a maxed deal somewhere for the "Ginobili factor".

OKC was great for a few years because they had 3 top 4 draft picks that all panned out perfectly who played at a very affordable salary (aka were underpaid due to being under rookie contracts). Now they have to "pay the piper" so to speak, so they won't be able to keep all their guys together.

Now OKC has to draft and sign intelligently instead of cherry picking at the top of the lottery to get can't-miss mega talents. We'll see if they can manage it. Their owner strikes me as one of the cheap ones, so I don't see him giving the go-ahead to also sign Harden. They could afford it short-term, but eventually those four will cost way too much and would require their team budget to be Lakers-level high.

lakerhaterade
08-23-2012, 02:43 AM
He played like #2 on a championship team, but that doesn't make him the second option..... :lol

In reality, Harden is elite at flopping and making the subsequent free throws, otherwise, he's grotesquely overrated, tbh.....

+1...

Harden is severely overrated by many. One thing he excels at whether it's the regular season or NBA finals environment is his flopping. That's about it.

LkrFan
08-23-2012, 03:26 AM

:rollin

racm
08-23-2012, 03:43 AM

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w62/iloveplatania/happy-i-see-what-you-did-there.png

Manu's better at flopping because he doesn't make it as obvious, tbh.

The wiser basketball fans probably already saw this coming.

It was very unlikely that they keep James Harden because he was going to be getting a maxed deal somewhere for the "Ginobili factor".

OKC was great for a few years because they had 3 top 4 draft picks that all panned out perfectly who played at a very affordable salary (aka were underpaid due to being under rookie contracts). Now they have to "pay the piper" so to speak, so they won't be able to keep all their guys together.

Now OKC has to draft and sign intelligently instead of cherry picking at the top of the lottery to get can't-miss mega talents. We'll see if they can manage it. Their owner strikes me as one of the cheap ones, so I don't see him giving the go-ahead to also sign Harden. They could afford it short-term, but eventually those four will cost way too much and would require their team budget to be Lakers-level high.

Pop's laughing because he didn't even pay Manu the max. :lmao

And 3 top 4 draft picks... and not a single scoring big man. :lmao