PDA

View Full Version : Legitimate rape

Pages : [1] 2 3

jack sommerset
08-19-2012, 08:52 PM
The blue bloods here should get a kick out of this one. God bless

"First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy after rape] is really rare," Akin told KTVI-TV in defense of his stand that rape victims should not be allowed to access abortions. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gop-senate-candidate-says-misspoke-legitimate-rape-005818070.html

DMX7
08-19-2012, 09:01 PM
lol, on second thought, perhaps republicans should stay away from science.

Clipper Nation
08-19-2012, 09:03 PM
:lol Neocons

mercos
08-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Probably going to cost him his race against Claire McCaskill. That was a seat Republicans were hoping to get.

boutons_deux
08-19-2012, 09:09 PM
How Todd Akin And Paul Ryan Partnered To Redefine Rape

Michelle Goldberg explains who Akin and Ryan would likely target:

Under H.R. 3, only victims of “forcible rape” would qualify for federally funded abortions. Victims of statutory rape—say, a 13-year-old girl impregnated by a 30-year-old man—would be on their own. So would victims of incest if they’re over 18. And while “forcible rape” isn’t defined in the criminal code, the addition of the adjective seems certain to exclude acts of rape that don’t involve overt violence—say, cases where a woman is drugged or has a limited mental capacity. “It’s basically putting more restrictions on what was defined historically as rape,” says Keenan.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/19/712251/how-todd-akin-and-paul-ryan-partnered-to-redefine-rape/

Introduced the phrase in Congress, and repeating the insanity, Aiken now takes it back, somewhat

Missouri Rep. Todd Akin says he 'misspoke' on rape and pregnancy

The conciliatory Facebook post by Rep. Todd Akin on Sunday afternoon wasn’t exactly an apology, nor did it clarify his position on the relationship between rape and pregnancy.

But he clearly needed to address the furor set off Sunday morning when the ardently antiabortion Republican, who is challenging Democrat Claire McCaskill for her U.S. Senate seat, told a St. Louis TV host that during “legitimate rape,” women’s bodies somehow prevent conception from taking place.

By afternoon, Akin had posted an explanation on his Facebook page:

"As a member of Congress, I believe that working to protect the most vulnerable in our society is one of my most important responsibilities, and that includes protecting both the unborn and victims of sexual assault. In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it's clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year. Those who perpetrate these crimes are the lowest of the low in our society and their victims will have no stronger advocate in the Senate to help ensure they have the justice they deserve.

"I recognize that abortion, and particularly in the case of rape, is a very emotionally charged issue. But I believe deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action. I also recognize that there are those who, like my opponent, support abortion and I understand I may not have their support in this election.”

After Akin apparently realized the post fell short, he later tweeted a clarification (though still not an apology): “To be clear, all of us understand that rape can result in pregnancy & I have great empathy for all victims. I regret misspeaking.”

This race is being closely watched because McCaskill is among the most vulnerable Senate Democrats this year. A Republican win in Missouri is part of the GOP strategy to recapture the Senate.

McCaskill, who trailed Akin in recent polls, immediately tweeted her dismay. A former prosecutor who handled hundreds of rape cases, she wrote that she was “stunned” by her opponent’s comments. An hour or so later, she issued an emailed statement of condemnation, with a compilation of Akin’s record of votes on rape-related legislation.

“Akin previously was the co-sponsor of a bill to redefine rape,” McCaskill said. “And it was recently reported that Akin opposed a state law against spousal rape because it might be used as a tool against husbands in a ‘messy divorce.’ ”

http://mobile.latimes.com/p.p?m=b&a=rp&id=2588700&postId=2588700&postUserId=7&sessionToken=&catId=5217&curAbsIndex=0&resultsUrl=DID%3D6%26DFCL%3D1000%26DSB%3Drank%2523 desc%26DBFQ%3DuserId%253A7%26DL.w%3D%26DL.d%3D10%2 6DQ%3DsectionId%253A5217%26DPS%3D0%26DPL%3D3

Where do Repugs find these assholes? Or do these generate spontaneously, like mushrooms out the shit pile of Repug politicians in general?

Oh, Gee!!
08-19-2012, 09:13 PM
"Legitimate rape never leads to illegitimate children." Biology 101 textbook at Liberty University.

ElNono
08-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Probably going to cost him his race against Claire McCaskill. That was a seat Republicans were hoping to get.

Frankly alarming this guy is a nominee at all, tbh

AussieFanKurt
08-19-2012, 11:11 PM
lol, on second thought, perhaps republicans should stay away from science.

LnGrrrR
08-20-2012, 02:55 AM
If this guy wins the election, I say our next war should be in Missouri.

Drachen
08-20-2012, 10:16 AM
This is what we get for demanding "other than abstinence only sex ed" without being specific.

TeyshaBlue
08-20-2012, 10:37 AM

One of many.:depressed

coyotes_geek
08-20-2012, 10:39 AM
If this guy wins the election, I say our next war should be in Missouri.

I keep saying a limited civil war would be great for the economy. :) Casaulties reduce unemployment and if we're going to spend billions and billions to rebuild infrastructure let it be our own instead of some third world hellhole's.

Yonivore
08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Oh please, Congress is chocked full of idiots that keep getting sent back by voters.

ElNono
08-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Oh please, Congress is chocked full of idiots that keep getting sent back by voters.

And the solution is to keep on sending more?

Plus there's a line between idiocy and flat out ignorance. This guy walked way past it. This is probably up there with "the internet is a series of tubes"...

boutons_deux
08-20-2012, 10:54 AM
No wonder the Dems were so pleased when Akin won the primary.

Yonivore
08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
And the solution is to keep on sending more?

Plus there's a line between idiocy and flat out ignorance. This guy walked way past it. This is probably up there with "the internet is a series of tubes"...
And, Guam is going to tip over or, wondering if the Mars rover got pictures of our flags planted by astronauts.

Chocked.full.of.idiots.

boutons_deux
08-20-2012, 11:02 AM
"That is one thing you might've noticed I don't complain about: Politicians. Everybody complains about politicians. Everybody says they suck.

But where do the people think these politicians come from? They don't fall out of the sky. They don't pass through a membrane from another reality. They come from american parents and american families, american homes, american schools, american churches, american businesses and american universities. and they're elected by american citizens. This is the best we can do, folks. This is what we have to offer. It's what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out! If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, if you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you are gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders.

The term limits ain't goinna do any good; you're just going to end up with a brand new bunch of selfish, ignorant Americans. So maybe, maybe, maybe it's not the politicians who suck. Maybe something else sucks around here. Like... the public. Yeah. The public sucks! There's a nice campaign slogan for somebody. "The public sucks, fuck hope!". Fuck hope. Because if it's really just the fault of these politicians then where are all the other bright people of conscience? Where are all the bright, honest, inteligent americans ready to step in and save the Nation and lead the way? We don't have people like that in this country; everybody's at the mall, scratching his ass, picking his nose, taking his credit card out of his fanny pack and buying a pair of sneakers with lights in them! So I have solved this little political dilemma for myself in a very simple way: On election day... I stay home. I don't vote. Fuck'em, fuck'em! I don't vote. Two reasons, two reasons I don't vote: First of all, is meaningless. This country was bought and sold and paid for a long time ago. The shit they shuffle around every 4 years, *pfff* doesn't mean a fucking thing. And secondly I don't vote because I believe if you vote, you have no right to complain. People like to twist that around, I know. They say: "Well, if you don't vote, you have no right to complain"; but where's the logic in that? If you vote and you elect dishonest, incompetent people and they get into office and screw everything up... well, you are responsible for what they have done. You caused the problem; you voted them in; you have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote, who did not vote, who in fact did not even leave the house on election day, am in no way responsible for what these people have done and have every right to complain as long as I want about the mess you created that I had nothing to do with. So I know that a little later on this year you're going to have another of those really swell presidential elections that you like so much, you enjoy yourselves it'll be alot of fun. I'm sure that as soon as the election is over your country will improve immediately. As for me, I'll be home that day doing essentially the same thing as you. The only difference is, when I get finished masturbating I'm gonna have a little something to show for it folks. Thank you very much. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeMGqTwWA6U&playnext=1&list=PL0935B72B3939E534&feature=results_main

ElNono
08-20-2012, 11:04 AM
And, Guam is going to tip over or, wondering if the Mars rover got pictures of our flags planted by astronauts.

Chocked.full.of.idiots.

I'm not disputing it is. Again, is the solution is to send more?

Yonivore
08-20-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm not disputing it is. Again, is the solution is to send more?
That seems to be beyond our control...unless, we live in those Districts. All I can do is try and prevent an idiot being sent from my District.

boutons_deux
08-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Everybody says Congress and all Congressmen suck, except their local Congressman.

coyotes_geek
08-20-2012, 11:17 AM
My local congressman sucks.

ElNono
08-20-2012, 11:50 AM
That seems to be beyond our control...unless, we live in those Districts. All I can do is try and prevent an idiot being sent from my District.

Nobody is pinning the nomination on you. You can exhale now.

resistanze
08-20-2012, 12:00 PM
:lol legitmate rape
:lol missoura

boutons_deux
08-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Obama Attacks Paul Ryan’s ‘Forcible Rape’ Bill: ‘Rape Is Rape’

OBAMA: Well, let me first of all say the views expressed were offensive. Rape is rape. And the idea that we should be parsing and qualifying and slicing what types of rape we’re talking about doesn’t make sense to the American people, and certainly doesn’t make sense to me. So what I think these comments do underscore is why we shouldn’t have a bunch of politicians, a majority of whom are men, making health care decisions on behalf of women. And so although these particular comments have led Governor Romney and other Republicans to distance themselves, I think the underlying notion that we should be making decisions on behalf of women for their health care decisions or qualifying ‘forcible rape’ versus nonforcible rape — I think those are broader issues and that is a significant difference in approach between me and the other party.

his reference to so-called “forcible rape” is likely a clever attack on his opponent’s running mate. GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan is an original co-sponsor of the “No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act,” a bill which rolls back a longstanding exemption to the federal ban on abortion funding for rape survivors unless the woman seeking to terminate her pregnancy experienced a “forcible rape.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/20/715731/obama-attacks-paul-ryans-forcible-rape-bill-rape-is-rape/

The Bully Pulpit at work, attacking the multi-front Repug War on Women.

baseline bum
08-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Everybody says Congress and all Congressmen suck, except their local Congressman.

My representative sucks and my senators are 10x worse.

Yonivore
08-20-2012, 01:39 PM
I'll bet Akin is out of the race by 5:00 P.M. tomorrow.

boutons_deux
08-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Todd Akin's "Legitimate" Rape Statement Was Not a Gaffe

What Todd Akin said was no gaffe and does not need “clarification” from a media going out of its way to be “fair” and “objective” even when that objectivity comes at the expense of truth.

When Todd Akin spoke of “legitimate rape,” it was a theme he has sounded for the past two decades, first as a four-term member of the Missouri House of Representatives and then in six terms in Congress.

At one point in the mid-90s, Akin, as noted in Talking Points Memo, voted for a bill that would criminalize marital rape, but not before he made it clear that he was concerned that women were going to lie and say their husbands had raped them to gain advantage in divorce settlements.

Todd Akin has a problem with women.

And judging from the rest of the Jaco interview, that’s not all that concerns Akin. Though the rape comment, quite understandably, has attracted the most attention, Akin also made it clear that he would not mind dialing back the Civil Rights acts of the 1960s, including the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and returning all decisions on elections to the states.

http://www.alternet.org/hot-news-views/todd-akins-legitimate-rape-statement-was-not-gaffe?akid=9243.187590.WhejYD&rd=1&src=newsletter696110&t=1

CosmicCowboy
08-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Todd Akin's "Legitimate" Rape Statement Was Not a Gaffe

What Todd Akin said was no gaffe and does not need “clarification” from a media going out of its way to be “fair” and “objective” even when that objectivity comes at the expense of truth.

When Todd Akin spoke of “legitimate rape,” it was a theme he has sounded for the past two decades, first as a four-term member of the Missouri House of Representatives and then in six terms in Congress.

At one point in the mid-90s, Akin, as noted in Talking Points Memo, voted for a bill that would criminalize marital rape, but not before he made it clear that he was concerned that women were going to lie and say their husbands had raped them to gain advantage in divorce settlements.

Todd Akin has a problem with women.

And judging from the rest of the Jaco interview, that’s not all that concerns Akin. Though the rape comment, quite understandably, has attracted the most attention, Akin also made it clear that he would not mind dialing back the Civil Rights acts of the 1960s, including the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and returning all decisions on elections to the states.

http://www.alternet.org/hot-news-views/todd-akins-legitimate-rape-statement-was-not-gaffe?akid=9243.187590.WhejYD&rd=1&src=newsletter696110&t=1
And yeah there are conniving bitches that would do exactly that.

boutons_deux
08-20-2012, 03:21 PM
and there are no bastards who would rape their wives

TeyshaBlue
08-20-2012, 03:30 PM
It's not a binary solution set, boutons.

CosmicCowboy
08-20-2012, 03:31 PM
rumor is the dude is gonna resign from the race. This was just too fucked up to come back from.

ElNono
08-20-2012, 03:32 PM

How do you know? Have you ever been "legitimately" raped? :lol

Yonivore
08-20-2012, 03:37 PM
rumor is the dude is gonna resign from the race. This was just too fucked up to come back from.
I agree.

TeyshaBlue
08-20-2012, 03:40 PM
How do you know? Have you ever been "legitimately" raped? :lol

One summer at band camp.....:rollin

boutons_deux
08-20-2012, 03:41 PM

TB :lol

TeyshaBlue
08-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I've got nothing. :lol

ElNono
08-20-2012, 04:04 PM
One summer at band camp.....:rollin

:lol

boutons_deux
08-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Akin speaks for a lot conservatives, tea baggers, etc

Influential Conservatives Defending Akin

1. Erick Erickson. The RedState honcho and CNN contributor excused Akin’s scientifically illiterate remarks as simply “inarticulate” and then accused President Obama of being pro-infanticide, saying: “the people horrid by Todd Akin’s remarks are, I’m sure, thrilled to have a President who defended infanticide. I’ll take Todd Akin’s inarticulate remarks over an infanticide supporter any day of the week.” Somewhat ironically, Erickson is now claiming that Akin will withdraw from the race.

2. Tony Perkins. The head of the Family Research Council said “we support [Akin] fully and completely” and that “I think that Todd Akin is getting a really bad break here.”

3. Chris and Dana Loesch. The conservative commentary power couple both lept to Akin’s defense. Chris claimed that “what [Akin] said was medically correct” while Dana wrote that Akin’s comments were less bad than his opponent Claire McCaskill’s record by “any real standard of measurement.”

4. Bryan Fischer. The American Family Association’s “director of issue analysis” straight-up defended Akin’s position, tweeting “Todd Akin is right: physical trauma of forcible rape can interfere w/ hormonal production, conception.”

5. Marjorie Dannenfelser. The head of the anti-abortion Susan B. Anthony list said that “We are proud to support Congressman Akin,” but later backtracked, amending her statement to “Congressman Akin has been an excellent partner in the fight for the unborn.”

6. Glenn Reynolds. The popular pundit and law professor simply wrote “BY THE TIME I NOTICED THIS STORY, IT WAS OVER, but Todd Akin’s “legitimate rape” remarks pale in comparison with Whoopi Goldberg’s.”

thinkprogress.org/election/2012/08/20/716001/influential-conservatives-defending-akin/

TeyshaBlue
08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
And he doesn't speak for alot of conservatives, tea baggers, etc.

Following a growing uproar over Mr. Akin’s provocative comments on rape and abortion in an interview broadcast Sunday, the National Republican Senatorial Committee threatened to withdraw its financial and party support for Mr. Akin a day after the Republican nominee said victims of “legitimate rape” rarely get pregnant.

Crossroads GPS, a Republican nonprofit group that had already spent more than $5 million to weaken Senator Claire McCaskill of Missouri, long considered the Senate’s most endangered incumbent, announced it was withdrawing from the state.

At the same time, Republican candidates including Mitt Romney and Senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts either called for Mr. Akin to step aside or strongly indicated he should. Senator John Cornyn of Texas, chairman of the Senate campaign committee, personally told Mr. Akin to step aside, a senior Republican Senate campaign aide said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/21/us/politics/republicans-decry-todd-akins-rape-remarks.html?pagewanted=all

lol thinkprogress

coyotes_geek
08-20-2012, 04:39 PM

lol boutons, lol thinkprogress

boutons_deux
08-20-2012, 04:41 PM
he speaks for a lot of conservatives and tea baggers.

he and Ryan have been pushing the "legitimate rape" concept for months, plus banning all kinds of contraceptive drugs, with NO PUSHBACK for the Repugs.

TeyshaBlue
08-20-2012, 04:42 PM
And he doesnt speak for a lot of conservatives and tea baggers
I just showed you pushback. You won't find pushback on thinkprogress.

CosmicCowboy
08-20-2012, 04:48 PM
He damn sure doesn't speak for me. I honestly just wish Republicans would get the fuck over abortion and gay rights. No sense fighting over it or even talking about it. I can be a fiscal conservative and despise Obama without agreeing with their fucked up social agenda (which is totally pointless because they will NEVER get anything passed)

ElNono
08-20-2012, 04:52 PM
He damn sure doesn't speak for me. I honestly just wish Republicans would get the fuck over abortion and gay rights. No sense fighting over it or even talking about it. I can be a fiscal conservative and despise Obama without agreeing with their fucked up social agenda (which is totally pointless because they will NEVER get anything passed)

Are you a "legitimate" fiscal conservative or?

:lol just messing with ya

TeyshaBlue
08-20-2012, 04:52 PM

I think the vast majority of conservatives don't give a shit about contraception issues. But the far-right Santorum nutbars enable the far left nutbars to frame all conservatives as far right nutbars. The distinction is lost on those bereft of critical thinking...aka...the thinkprogress crowd.

TeyshaBlue
08-20-2012, 04:53 PM

you're a trouble maker today.

Back to the native country for you, boy!:ihit

CosmicCowboy
08-20-2012, 04:56 PM

Of course I am. I'll try to drop a few crumbs occasionally but I think y'all probably need to learn to do with less...:lol

ElNono
08-20-2012, 04:58 PM
you're a trouble maker today.

Back to the native country for you, boy!:ihit

Make me :wakeup

Actually, I'm visiting the family for two weeks in about 15 days... please keep the bot in check while I'm away, kthx :lol

TeyshaBlue
08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Make me :wakeup

Actually, I'm visiting the family for two weeks in about 15 days... please keep the bot in check while I'm away, kthx :lol

Sweet. You and CC are quite the elite vacationing 1%ers!:toast:downspin:

DMC
08-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Motherfuckers didn't learn shit from Clayton Williams.

ElNono
08-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Legitimate%20Rape&defid=6722495)

crofl

Wild Cobra
08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Legitimate%20Rape&defid=6722495)

crofl
See why you need to verify what you find on the internet... Almost anyone can make things up.

baseline bum
08-20-2012, 06:26 PM

crofl

:rollin

Wild Cobra Kai
08-20-2012, 06:45 PM

Wild Cobra Kai
08-20-2012, 06:51 PM
And yeah there are conniving bitches that would do exactly that.
Coming soon, to a primary near you....

Wild Cobra Kai
08-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Unfortunately, you're supporting it every time you pull the lever.

DMX7
08-20-2012, 06:57 PM
See why you need to verify what you find on the internet... Almost anyone can make things up.

What's made up about that?

Wild Cobra Kai
08-20-2012, 07:02 PM

baseline bum
08-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Does Kobe count as a legitimate rapist since he analed that bitch? Definition isn't quite clear tbh.

boutons_deux
08-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Here's another, a pastor, a Fox tool, spinning the positives of rape

Huckabee to Akin: 'Horrible' rapes created some extraordinary people

The man trying to provide Rep. Todd Akin the softest possible landing after the congressman’s foolish comments about pregnancy and rape was former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a strong supporter of Akin during his run to represent Missouri in the U.S. Senate.

In the furor over Akin’s remarks and increasing pressure for him to drop out of his race against Sen. Claire McCaskill, Huckabee used his syndicated radio program Monday to give the embattled candidate a safe venue to express remorse and his determination to remain in the race. Huckabee also took the opportunity to cast the best possible light on Akin’s awkward position. The former Arkansas governor and onetime GOP presidential contender suggested a couple of cases in which he suggested that rapes, though “horrible tragedies,” had produced admirable human beings.

http://mobile.latimes.com/p.p?m=b&a=rp&id=2592977&postId=2592977&postUserId=7&sessionToken=&catId=7716&curAbsIndex=0&resultsUrl=DID%3D6%26DFCL%3D1000%26DSB%3Drank%2523 desc%26DBFQ%3DuserId%253A7%26DL.w%3D%26DL.d%3D10%2 6DQ%3DsectionId%253A7716%26DPS%3D0%26DPL%3D3

Always amazing how low these shameless, tone-deaf, sociopathic, misogynistic right-wing assholes will go

Wild Cobra
08-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Does Kobe count as a legitimate rapist since he analed that bitch? Definition isn't quite clear tbh.
You mean that hotel whore who tried to get a payoff?

Wild Cobra
08-20-2012, 07:30 PM
What's made up about that?
The entry was created yesterday. Probably by the person bringing it to our view.

So easily done.

jack sommerset
08-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Akin stays in race despite conservative outlash, Romney says 'I can't defend him'

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/20/akin-stays-in-race-despite-conservative-outlash-romney-says-i-cant-defend-him/?hpt=hp_bn3

God bless

LnGrrrR
08-20-2012, 07:47 PM
The entry was created yesterday. Probably by the person bringing it to our view.

So easily done.

Yes, that's kind of the point of that website. It's a humorous definition. What's your point?

Spurminator
08-20-2012, 07:56 PM
The Onion is killing him today...

Pregnant Woman Relieved To Learn Her Rape Was Illegitimate (http://www.theonion.com/articles/pregnant-woman-relieved-to-learn-her-rape-was-ille,29258/)

Republicans Condemn Akin's Comments As Blemish On Party's Otherwise Spotless Women's Rights Record (http://www.theonion.com/articles/republicans-condemn-akins-comments-as-blemish-on-p,29259/)

I Misspoke—What I Meant To Say Is 'I Am Dumb As Dog Shit And I Am A Terrible Human Being' (http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-misspokewhat-i-meant-to-say-is-i-am-dumb-as-dog,29256/)

Spurminator
08-20-2012, 07:57 PM

So easily done.

:lmao Urban Dictionary exposed!!

resistanze
08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
The Onion is killing him today...

Pregnant Woman Relieved To Learn Her Rape Was Illegitimate (http://www.theonion.com/articles/pregnant-woman-relieved-to-learn-her-rape-was-ille,29258/)[/URL]

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

SnakeBoy
08-20-2012, 08:37 PM

Why? Did he make similar comments during the primary?

DMX7
08-20-2012, 08:39 PM

So easily done.

No, urban dictionary has a through process by which a committee of scholars of the utmost distinction carefully deliberate the merits of a proposed definition. Then, after a majority vote in favor of the the proposed definition, the proposed definition is published in the form of an exposure draft in which critics may comment or propose changes to the definition. Finally, after careful consideration of the critical comments and proposed changes, a final draft is generated and voted on. Only after that final draft has received a 2/3rds majority vote from the committee can it be published.

Wild Cobra
08-20-2012, 08:41 PM
No, urban dictionary has a through process by which a committee of scholars of the utmost distinction carefully deliberate the merits of a proposed definition. Then, after a majority vote in favor of the the proposed definition, the proposed definition is published in the form of an exposure draft in which critics may comment or propose changes to the definition. Finally, after careful consideration of the critical comments and proposed changes, a final draft is generated and voted on. Only after that final draft has received a 2/3rds majority vote from the committee can it be published.
LOL...

Really now. The they are a partisan bunch if libtards.

Spurminator
08-20-2012, 08:43 PM

I have a hard time believing anyone who would say something like this on TV has proven intelligent enough in other aspects of his life to make his way up the political ladder without saying some pretty crazy shit to people who were helping him up that ladder.

Spurminator
08-20-2012, 08:45 PM

Indeed, thankfully this process was not compromised by the nearly catastrophic "Cleveland Steamer" Dispute of 2006.

ElNono
08-20-2012, 08:52 PM

Really? Hearing stuff like "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down" in 2012 is ignorance to the extreme.

DMX7
08-20-2012, 08:56 PM
LOL...

Full disclosure, Wild Cobra -- I am one of the scholars on the committee.

Indeed, thankfully this process was not compromised by the nearly catastrophic "Cleveland Steamer" Dispute of 2006.

Yes, that was one hell of a debate.

ElNono
08-20-2012, 08:57 PM
And I'd like to know who's the "doctor" he claims told him that.

LnGrrrR
08-20-2012, 09:03 PM
LOL...

WC, are you really that gullible? :lol

SnakeBoy
08-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Really? Hearing stuff like "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down" in 2012 is ignorance to the extreme.

Yeah it's dumb and he's finished because of it but your saying you're shocked he became the nominee and I'm just asking if he was making similar gaffes during the primary. I don't know anything about him other than this comment, I gather you don't either?

I just looked him up on wiki and it sounds like he's super christiany so probably he's been told that stress affects fertility (which is true) and then he used his powers of deduction to conclude that rape is stressful so a woman won't get pregnant unless she enjoys it.

DMC
I am also on the panel of peer reviewers on Urban Dictionary. My esteemed colleagues and I get paid a handsome sum of money to weed out the chaff.

Wild Cobra
WC, are you really that gullible? :lol
In what way?

Maybe there is a committee, if so, there shouldn't be blatant misinterpretation allowed.

Rape between one man and one woman who are not married or even acquainted; the only rape sanctioned by the Republican Party.
Come on now. What committee would approve such a definition, unless libtards?

resistanze
08-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Wow.

LnGrrrR
08-20-2012, 09:10 PM
In what way?

Maybe there is a committee, if so, there shouldn't be blatant misinterpretation allowed.

Come on now. What committee would approve such a definition, unless libtards?

WC it's a humorous website. Anyone can submit a definition.

DMC
08-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Easy, the Illuminati.

Wild Cobra
08-20-2012, 09:11 PM

Isn't that what I implied to begin with?

Homeland Security
08-20-2012, 09:15 PM
I haven't read through this thread in great detail but I just can't stop laughing at the Jeebotard who just singlehandedly flipped his state -- which was somewhere between likely/safe Republican -- to the Democrats.

But that's the risk Republicans run in catering to the 80-IQ Jeebotard crowd.

I'm eager to hear more of his brilliant theories about the female body's magical shield against rape-sperm. So, if somebody claims she was raped but gets pregnant, is she lying? Did she enjoy her rape too much? Is she really a dirty whore? Should we stone her for shaming her family?

I think this Jeebotard may have launched a new sect of his faith -- let's call it Chrislam!

LnGrrrR
08-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Isn't that what I implied to begin with?

I have no clue what your original point was at this time...

ElNono
08-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Yeah it's dumb and he's finished because of it but your saying you're shocked he became the nominee and I'm just asking if he was making similar gaffes during the primary. I don't know anything about him other than this comment, I gather you don't either?

Well, I personally disagree that was just a gaffe, or as he's trying to claim now, he 'misspoke'... I thought he was very candid and honest when he said what he said, it was nothing unintentional about it, as absolutely ignorant as it was.

I don't think he's a bad guy, just completely disconnected from reality at least on that topic, which prompts you to wonder where else he has such disconnects. I don't even see this is a partisan issue. Alarms would go off just as loudly if he had a (D) next to his name.

I just looked him up on wiki and it sounds like he's super christiany so probably he's been told that stress affects fertility (which is true) and then he used his powers of deduction to conclude that rape is stressful so a woman won't get pregnant unless she enjoys it.

That was as ignorant as it gets. Especially in this day and age, and when it's such a hot topic. I actually applaud the rest of the GOP from walking away from him. There really are no excuses.

Wild Cobra
08-20-2012, 09:30 PM
I have no clue what your original point was at this time...

crofl

LnGrrrR
08-20-2012, 09:32 PM
What was there to verify? Of course the term "legitimate rape" was made up, because before Akin, no one was asinine enough to suggest that.

mrsmaalox
08-20-2012, 09:32 PM

Probably the same guy who told Michelle Bachmann that the HPV vaccine causes mental retardation.

Wild Cobra
08-20-2012, 09:33 PM
What was there to verify?
That the definition is correct.

LnGrrrR
08-20-2012, 09:34 PM

WC, it's a made up word/phrase. There's no "correct" definition, because the phrase doesn't exist.

ElNono
08-20-2012, 09:35 PM
:lmao

George Gervin's Afro
08-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Wc doubling down on stupid. Lol

Wild Cobra Kai
08-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Probably the same guy who told Michelle Bachmann that the HPV vaccine causes mental retardation.

Was she in the case study?

TeyshaBlue
08-20-2012, 09:43 PM
My God. I cant help it if you cant understand my thought process.
/WC

SnakeBoy
08-20-2012, 09:51 PM

It isn't correct. According to websters...

Legitimate Rape: an excuse to get a tax payer funded abortion; also known as sex between and man and a woman by the lesbo feminazis

Creepn
08-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Lmao holy shit WC! Come on man, come on.

SnakeBoy
08-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Well, I personally disagree that was just a gaffe, or as he's trying to claim now, he 'misspoke'... I thought he was very candid and honest when he said what he said, it was nothing unintentional about it, as absolutely ignorant as it was.

Anytime someone destroys their political career because of one word I would call it a gaffe. If he had said he heard that victims of "violent" rape were less likely to get pregnant he would be able to wiggle his way out of this. It's the use of "legitimate rape", as if some forms of rape don't count, that's killing him.

I actually applaud the rest of the GOP from walking away from him. There really are no excuses.

They are only walking away because they don't want abortion to become a main issue in this election. Don't applaud them too much.

GoodOdor
08-20-2012, 10:30 PM
WC, it's not too late man! quick, just claim that you were joking all along!!!

Sure, your previous history of posting really stupid shit might doom you in, but there's probably a couple spectators reading this thread that will buy it!

ElNono
08-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Anytime someone destroys their political career because of one word I would call it a gaffe. If he had said he heard that victims of "violent" rape were less likely to get pregnant he would be able to wiggle his way out of this. It's the use of "legitimate rape", as if some forms of rape don't count, that's killing him.

But there's no scientific basis for that either. Here's a good article describing the actual science side of it: Rape trauma as barrier to pregnancy has no scientific basis (http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/20/usa-politics-abortion-claim-idINL2E8JKI1320120820) (starting from THE STRESS FACTOR part)

And yeah, the word selection was terrible. But the whole thing came across as a complete disconnect, IMO.

They are only walking away because they don't want abortion to become a main issue in this election. Don't applaud them too much.

Possibly, but it's still the right thing to do, tbh.

Spurminator
08-20-2012, 10:48 PM
yeesh

akin has until 6pm tomorrow to get off the ballot without needing a court order. if he gives up, the state GOP has 2 weeks to name his replacement

so if akin doesn't step down, he really truly handed Missouri over to McCaskill on a silver platter crofl crofl

There's too much at stake. He will step down. I'm sure he's been getting a lot of "coercion" already.

MannyIsGod
08-20-2012, 10:54 PM
:lmao

SnakeBoy
08-20-2012, 11:12 PM
But there's no scientific basis for that either. Here's a good article describing the actual science side of it: Rape trauma as barrier to pregnancy has no scientific basis (http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/20/usa-politics-abortion-claim-idINL2E8JKI1320120820) (starting from THE STRESS FACTOR part)

LOL, you don't have to prove it to me. What I meant is if he had used "violent" instead of "legitimate" he could have played dumb, said he misunderstood or was misinformed, apologized and probably moved on from this.

ElNono
08-20-2012, 11:13 PM
LOL, you don't have to prove it to me. What I meant is if he had used "violent" instead of "legitimate" he could have played dumb, said he misunderstood or was misinformed, apologized and probably moved on from this.

I don't think there was dodging this, tbh... :lol

baseline bum
08-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Maybe he only considers buttrape legitimate?

Trainwreck2100
08-21-2012, 12:11 AM
how is marital rape considered a crime, while a bitch ass wife cleaning out your account is not stealing.

Jacob1983
08-21-2012, 02:54 AM
What was this dumbass thinking? I mean seriously, did he really think no one was gonna give a fuck about this? You can't talk about shit like this.

Wild Cobra
08-21-2012, 02:58 AM
What was this dumbass thinking? I mean seriously, did he really think no one was gonna give a fuck about this? You can't talk about shit like this.
This is the type of thing that happens when you forget your lines, and can't speak from the heart. Look at all the Obamagaffs when TOTUS had problems.

Still, he isn't down to Biden's level.

boutons_deux
08-21-2012, 04:01 AM
The untouchable youtube gaffe sensation, by a mile, is dubya.

And then there are the assholes like Akin, Barton, Gohmert (Repug TX has a bunch of them) who don't mispeak, but just speak sincere bullshit, lies, insanity.

Dems really don't a class of assholes like the Repugs have. False equivalence.

boutons_deux
08-21-2012, 04:16 AM
As part of the deep misogyny and War on Women inherent in "Christians" and Repugs, a short summary

6 Worst Things Republicans Have Said About Rape, Sex and Women's Bodies

1. Other absurd Republican contributions to the “rape doesn’t lead to babies” myth.

2. Then there’s the daddy of all these rape theories: the National Right to Life Committee’s John C. Willke’s claims in an article that the the “trauma” of rape prevents pregnancy -- i.e., he “basically just makes shit up,”

3. Want contraception? Put an aspirin between your knees.

4. Seeking to legally redefine rape as “forcible rape” so fewer women will qualify as victims.

5. Another GOP lawmaker (surprise, surprise) worries that women will claim rape just to get abortions.

6. Pundits and lawmakers: Forced ultrasounds are okay because women already consented to be penetrated when they got pregnant.

7. When women sign up for the military to hang out with aggressive dudes, they are asking to get raped.

http://www.alternet.org/6-worst-things-republicans-have-said-about-rape-sex-and-womens-bodies?paging=off

And see above where Pastor spinning rape saying some really great (right wing) people result from rape.

boutons_deux
08-21-2012, 06:05 AM
Did Romney Check With Ryan On That Rape Exception to Abortion Thing?

Romney has been relying on his "rape and incest" exception to an all-out ban on abortion as his sole means of battling the Democratic claims that he wants to take away a woman's right to choose whether or not to bear a child. Fact checkers galore have criticised the Obama campaign for claiming that Romney supports a ban on abortion in all cases, saying Romney has explicitly argued that women who have been raped should not be forced to carry to term.

Now, Romney's in a jam. Thanks to Akin, he has been forced to once more take a hard stance on abortion policy, and taking firm stances has never really been Romney's strong suit. Even more alarming, he's taking the stance on behalf of his running mate Paul Ryan, too. "Governor Romney and Congressman Ryan disagree with Mr. Akin’s statement," the campaign said via statement. "A Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape."

Really? Did they ask Ryan? After all, Ryan was one of the original congressional co-sponsors of the bill that would redefine rape in order to limit the number of women and girls who could get financial assistance to obtain an abortion. Ryan also asserted in 1998 that he opposed abortion in any case except to save the life of the pregnant person. Ryan's repeated backing by Pro-Life Wisconsin, and now the Susan B. Anthony List, which both believe that life must be protected from the "moment of conception until natural death," would also imply that rape exceptions just aren't an option.

Now, Ryan is in a tough spot, as one Wisconsin journalist explains it.

I don't see how Romney and Ryan can sell this to the base, which will see it as a Ryan sellout or forced surrender ordered by Romney - - a former moderate whom the base has never embraced.

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/08/20/did-romney-check-with-ryan-before-saying-they-are-okay-with-letting-rape-victims-?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rhrealitycheck+%28RH+Reality+ Check%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

boutons_deux
08-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Repugs make it their official postion, no unborn "child" 's right to life ever abridged:

"the official GOP platform committee drafted a provision Monday supporting a “human life amendment” that would outlaw abortion without specifying exemptions for rape or incest. The platform reads:

Faithful to the ‘self-evident’ truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/08/21/718461/2012-republican-platform-to-advocate-abortion-ban-without-rape-exception/

child for these assholes starts at fertilization, so Gecko boys would be criminals, since they use IVF and very probably discard the unused embryos, but of course they are ENTITLED 1%ers so could flout the Repug law.

CosmicCowboy
08-21-2012, 09:48 AM
:lol thinkprogress

not being reported anywhere else.

boutons_deux
08-21-2012, 09:59 AM
CC :lol

Looks like ThinkProgress has mole in there. Who be surprised if it were true?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79919.html

TeyshaBlue
08-21-2012, 10:30 AM
"The 2012 draft includes support for a Human Life amendment — which would give constitutional protections to the unborn — just as the past three did. “It’s not a controversy anymore,” Schlafly said. “We’ve won that battle.”
But as the committee prepares to consider that language on Tuesday, the blowup surrounding Missouri Republican Senate candidate Todd Akin’s comments about “legitimate rape” could generate debate about whether the party should allow abortion in the case of rape, incest and to protect the life of the mother."

Ok. It's a draft. It's not been finalized. And it's not official.
I can see why that's newsworthy. http://homerecording.com/bbs/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

TeyshaBlue
08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
That being said, as a conservative, I won't support the platform. I won't be alone.

scott
08-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Leave it to WC to make hilarious a thread on rape.

djohn2oo8
08-21-2012, 11:13 AM
This is the type of thing that happens when you forget your lines, and can't speak from the heart. Look at all the Obamagaffs when TOTUS had problems.

:lol He was speaking from the heart.

boutons_deux
08-21-2012, 01:24 PM
G.O.P. Approves Strict Anti-Abortion Language in Party Platform

Even as the Republican establishment continued to call for Representative Todd Akin of Missouri to drop out of his Senate race because of his comments on rape and abortion, Republicans approved platform language on Tuesday calling for a constitutional amendment outlawing abortion with no explicit exceptions for cases of rape or incest.

The anti-abortion plank, approved by the Republican platform committee Tuesday morning in Tampa, Fla., was similar to the planks Republicans have included in their recent party platforms, which also called for a constitutional ban on abortions. The full convention is set to vote on the party's platform on Monday.

While Republican officials stressed that the plank did not go into granular details, saying that they were better left to the states, the language of the plank seems to leave little room for exceptions to the abortion ban. It states that "the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed."

"Faithful to the 'self-evident' truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed," said the draft platform language approved Tuesday, which was first reported by CNN. "We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment's protections apply to unborn children."

The timing of the approval of the Republican anti-abortion plank was awkward for Mitt Romney, who has denounced Mr. Akin's comments about rape and abortion and who has said that he supports exceptions to allow abortions in cases of rape. And it comes as his selection of his running mate, Representative Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, was already drawing scrutiny for his support for a more absolute ban on abortions, even in cases of rape or incest.

But Mr. Romney would hardly be the first Republican nominee at odds with his party's more absolute opposition to abortion. Just four years ago, the Republican Party adopted a platform with a similar plank seeking an unconditional ban on abortion, even though its nominee, Senator John McCain of Arizona, had urged the party in the past to allow certain exceptions. George W. Bush also supported outlawing abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or when the life of the pregnant woman was in danger.

After this year's abortion plank language was approved with little debate, the chairman of the platform committee, Gov. Bob McDonnell of Virginia, praised the committee for "affirming our respect for human life" and for doing so expeditiously.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=962885&f=19

:lol TB, CC, WC

boutons_deux
08-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Akin is makin the Repugs achin, but Akin has plenty of support:

Ultraconservative Rep. Steve King has this to say:

King told an Iowa reporter he’s never heard of a child getting pregnant from statutory rape or incest.

“Well I just haven’t heard of that being a circumstance that’s been brought to me in any personal way,” King told KMEG-TV Monday, “and I’d be open to discussion about that subject matter.”

A Democratic source flagged King’s praise of Akin in the KMEG interview to TPM. But potentially more controversial for King is his suggestion that pregnancies from statutory rape or incest don’t exist or happen rarely. A 1996 review by the Guttmacher Institute found “at least half of all babies born to minor women are fathered by adult men.”

Science. It's a thing, Rep. King. And then there was Sharon Barnes, a member of Missouri's GOP Central Committee, who stood by her man Akin:

Ms. Barnes echoed Mr. Akin’s statement that very few rapes resulted in pregnancy, adding that “at that point, if God has chosen to bless this person with a life, you don’t kill it.”

“That’s more what I believe he was trying to state,” she said. “He just phrased it badly.”

http://www.alternet.org/hot-news-views/rape-victims-step-forward-and-akin-stays-race-more-republicans-make-insane-remarks?akid=9247.187590.BQdsKS&rd=1&src=newsletter696728&t=3

LnGrrrR
08-21-2012, 01:30 PM
:lol all the Republicans who are going out of their way to show how stupid they are in support of this idiot

It's graet... let's out all the doofuses at once. (Or should that be doofi?)

djohn2oo8
08-21-2012, 01:38 PM
The Republicans should just stop talking. This will already bite Ryan in the ass soon enough.

djohn2oo8
08-21-2012, 01:41 PM
This asshole just keeps digging his own grave. Calling women liars about rapes.
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/08/21/721791/akin-clarifies-legitimate-rape-comments-women-make-false-claims-about-being-raped/?mobile=wp

boutons_deux
08-21-2012, 02:04 PM
King's Denial of Child Rape Victims Just Latest of His Anti-Choice Diatribes

King says, instead of focusing on one phrase, and turning it into a national issue, voters should focus on the big picture.

"I think this election should be about, how did Todd Akin vote and what did he vote for and what did he stand for and in this case, I'm seeing the same thing, petty personal attacks substituting for strong policy," he said.

King supports the "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act." It would ban Federal funding of abortions except in cases of forcible rape. Right now, Medicaid also covers abortions for victims of statutory rape or incest - for example, a 12 year old who gets pregnant.

Congressman King says he's not aware of any young victims like that.

"Well I just haven't heard of that being a circumstance that's been brought to me in any personal way, and I'd be open to discussion about that subject matter," he said.

Amie Newman wrote about his interview with CNS in 2011:

Rep. King says he "often goes into a high school auditorium" or into kindergarten through 12th grade levels to talk to the students about abortion. He pointedly asks them, "Where do you stand on the abortion issue?" Bear in mind, he's not teaching them how to think critically or to ponder important questions but to answer then and there "where they stand" on the abortion issue. He doesn't provide any authentic context for the discussion or refer, presumably, to the where and with whom this is all taking place - namely, that abortion is a private, personal decision that a woman makes - on her own, with her family, or with a health care provider. The woman does not, in any way, seem to play a role in any of Rep. King's thinking. Does he expect they know what abortion is? Does he talk about unintended pregnancy? Or does he prefer that, in fact, they have as little information as possible about what abortion is and isn't? Rep. King doesn't seem to care much. His goal is to have the young students ask and answer only two questions of themselves right then and there - two questions of his own creation and then - Presto! You've got my answer your answer!, says King.

King has railed against birth control, saying that its existence has led to a "dying civilization, and arguing that "keeping babies from being born is not medicine." Now, he thinks there is no reason to allow exceptions for pregnant children and adolescents to terminate their pregnancies, because he's never seen such a thing happen.

Anti-choice means forcing 12-year-old rape victims to give birth. Its as simple as that.

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/08/21/kings-no-pregnant-12-year-old-rape-victims-just-latest-his-anti-choice-diatribes?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rhrealitycheck+%28RH+Reality+ Check%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

TeyshaBlue
08-21-2012, 02:14 PM
G.O.P. Approves Strict Anti-Abortion Language in Party Platform

Even as the Republican establishment continued to call for Representative Todd Akin of Missouri to drop out of his Senate race because of his comments on rape and abortion, Republicans approved platform language on Tuesday calling for a constitutional amendment outlawing abortion with no explicit exceptions for cases of rape or incest.

The anti-abortion plank, approved by the Republican platform committee Tuesday morning in Tampa, Fla., was similar to the planks Republicans have included in their recent party platforms, which also called for a constitutional ban on abortions. The full convention is set to vote on the party's platform on Monday.

While Republican officials stressed that the plank did not go into granular details, saying that they were better left to the states, the language of the plank seems to leave little room for exceptions to the abortion ban. It states that "the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed."

"Faithful to the 'self-evident' truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed," said the draft platform language approved Tuesday, which was first reported by CNN. "We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment's protections apply to unborn children."

The timing of the approval of the Republican anti-abortion plank was awkward for Mitt Romney, who has denounced Mr. Akin's comments about rape and abortion and who has said that he supports exceptions to allow abortions in cases of rape. And it comes as his selection of his running mate, Representative Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, was already drawing scrutiny for his support for a more absolute ban on abortions, even in cases of rape or incest.

But Mr. Romney would hardly be the first Republican nominee at odds with his party's more absolute opposition to abortion. Just four years ago, the Republican Party adopted a platform with a similar plank seeking an unconditional ban on abortion, even though its nominee, Senator John McCain of Arizona, had urged the party in the past to allow certain exceptions. George W. Bush also supported outlawing abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or when the life of the pregnant woman was in danger.

After this year's abortion plank language was approved with little debate, the chairman of the platform committee, Gov. Bob McDonnell of Virginia, praised the committee for "affirming our respect for human life" and for doing so expeditiously.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=962885&f=19

:lol TB, CC, WC

smh. Fucking GOP.

Th'Pusher
08-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Not looking so good: Akin defies mounting calls to withdraw from Senate race (http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/21/politics/akin-controversy/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

LnGrrrR
08-21-2012, 03:28 PM
What a mess the GOP is in... good timing on that whole "no abortion" thing. I'm sure trading in the majority of women voters for some hard-core rightwing religious folks will really swing the election in your favor.

LnGrrrR
08-21-2012, 03:30 PM
:lol thinkprogress

not being reported anywhere else.

CC eating crow on this one :)

TeyshaBlue
08-21-2012, 03:35 PM
CC eating crow on this one :)

Fucking tough, stringy, wild ass tasting bird.:depressed

TeyshaBlue
08-21-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm moving to Midland.

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Midland-newspaper-headline-300x224.jpg

LnGrrrR
08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
TB, before you move, I suggest you determine if those women were legimately raped, or if they were just date-raped or something harmless like that.

Trill Clinton
08-21-2012, 03:56 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1043375/barkley-head-shake-o.gif

.....white people

Winehole23
08-21-2012, 03:57 PM
how is marital rape considered a crime, while a bitch ass wife cleaning out your account is not stealing.dunno about other states, but marriage is a community in Texas. legally speaking your stuff is hers (and the reverse). hence, your wife cleaning out your bank account isn't stealing; she has merely appropriated what already belongs to her.

Wild Cobra
08-21-2012, 03:58 PM

:lol He was speaking from the heart.
I doubt it.

djohn2oo8
08-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I doubt it.

:lol WC in denial. When someone forgets the script, their true thoughts are exposed. Hence the apology.

TeyshaBlue
08-21-2012, 04:21 PM
TB, before you move, I suggest you determine if those women were legimately raped, or if they were just date-raped or something harmless like that.

Does it matter? They're looking for volunteers to help rape women! Woot!:lol

Wild Cobra
08-21-2012, 04:24 PM
:lol WC in denial. When someone forgets the script, their true thoughts are exposed. Hence the apology.
Maybe, but with a poor choice of words. Politicians often talk about topics they are not experts in. They simply should avoid such talk, especially if scripting is needed.

I find this push to talk about the same third rail topics every election season rather annoying. We need to worry about what they can actually accomplish.

boutons_deux
08-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Akin apologizes:

Dear Voter:

Over the weekend, I made remarks suggesting that rape could be legitimate and that a uterus could think. Today, I would like to offer every woman in Missouri my deepest apology. If your uterus could talk, I’ll bet it would have some choice words about old Todd right about now.

For the last forty-eight hours, I’ve been getting an earful from a lot of you. You’ve said that I’m an ignorant, dangerous man. You’ve said that I should be put away someplace where I can do as little harm as possible. To that I say, I couldn’t agree more. And that place is the U.S. Senate.

I know what some of you are thinking: if we send Todd to the Senate, won’t he be able to do more damage than he did in the House? Well, think again. In the House, I was a member of the Science Committee. Scientific matters that impact the entire nation were entrusted to a man who thinks that lady parts have E.S.P. Electing me to the Senate will get me as far away from science as possible.

But here’s the most important reason to keep me in Washington. As long as I am in Congress, I will be on C-SPAN, where you can monitor me around the clock. If I look like I am about to go off, you can notify the authorities and have me quickly subdued. It’s democracy’s version of the electronic ankle bracelet.

On the other hand, if I lose, I’ll come back to Missouri and be released into the general population. The choice is yours, Missouri. I hope you’ll act like a uterus and do the smart thing.

Vote for me,

Todd

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/08/an-apology-from-todd-akin.html#ixzz24DbdR54z

LnGrrrR
08-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Does it matter? They're looking for volunteers to help rape women! Woot!:lol

I didn't even catch that reading :lmao

DMC
08-21-2012, 04:40 PM
I had to read it twice as well.

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard once between two co-workers, one of them from Mexico (back in the day)..

White guy "my girlfriend just called, she's coming over tonight, that's good because my ass is ready to fuck"

Mexican "Your ass is ready to fuck?"

Wild Cobra
08-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Akin apologizes:

Dear Voter:

Over the weekend, I made remarks suggesting that rape could be legitimate and that a uterus could think. Today, I would like to offer every woman in Missouri my deepest apology. If your uterus could talk, I’ll bet it would have some choice words about old Todd right about now.

For the last forty-eight hours, I’ve been getting an earful from a lot of you. You’ve said that I’m an ignorant, dangerous man. You’ve said that I should be put away someplace where I can do as little harm as possible. To that I say, I couldn’t agree more. And that place is the U.S. Senate.

I know what some of you are thinking: if we send Todd to the Senate, won’t he be able to do more damage than he did in the House? Well, think again. In the House, I was a member of the Science Committee. Scientific matters that impact the entire nation were entrusted to a man who thinks that lady parts have E.S.P. Electing me to the Senate will get me as far away from science as possible.

But here’s the most important reason to keep me in Washington. As long as I am in Congress, I will be on C-SPAN, where you can monitor me around the clock. If I look like I am about to go off, you can notify the authorities and have me quickly subdued. It’s democracy’s version of the electronic ankle bracelet.

On the other hand, if I lose, I’ll come back to Missouri and be released into the general population. The choice is yours, Missouri. I hope you’ll act like a uterus and do the smart thing.

Vote for me,

Todd

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2012/08/an-apology-from-todd-akin.html#ixzz24DbdR54z
So let me get this strait.

The New Yorker (another liberal rag) is suggesting he get voted back into office, because it's safer than releasing him into the general public?

CosmicCowboy
08-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Fucking tough, stringy, wild ass tasting bird.:depressed

What can I say? I did a deep search and nobody else was reporting it. There is nothing wrong with being a healthy skeptic considering thinkprogress's track record.

CosmicCowboy
08-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Oh well. That's a senate seat5 lost. fucking asshole.

LnGrrrR
08-21-2012, 04:49 PM
So let me get this strait.

The New Yorker (another liberal rag) is suggesting he get voted back into office, because it's safer than releasing him into the general public?

Ah, ok, now you're just deliberately trolling. Good job. :tu I fell for it in the other thread.

Wild Cobra
08-21-2012, 04:52 PM
ah, ok, now you're just deliberately trolling. Good job. :tu i fell for it in the other thread.
lol...

on the other hand, if i lose, i’ll come back to missouri and be released into the general population. The choice is yours, missouri. I hope you’ll act like a uterus and do the smart thing.

Winehole23
08-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Call it a wise investment in light of his recent comments (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/08/19/todd-akin-gop-senate-candidate-legitimate-rape-rarely-causes-pregnancy/): Democrats wanted Missouri Republican congressman Todd Akin to win his state’s hotly contested Senate GOP primary because they believed he gave incumbent Senator Claire McCaskill her best shot at retaining her seat. As the Washington Post reported (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/why-todd-akins-win-gives-democrats-hope-in-missouri/2012/08/08/6e0246b8-e16c-11e1-ae7f-d2a13e249eb2_blog.html) earlier this month:

There’s a reason why Democrats spent over $1.5 million trying to help Akin win his three-way primary. He was the most conservative candidate in the field — and the most unpredictable one. He shook up his campaign staff (http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2012/01/akins-senate-ca.php) late last year. He recently released a head-scratching and jumbled campaign ad (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/the-worst-ad-of-the-2012-campaign-so-far/2012/07/30/gJQAe9w4KX_blog.html). And Democrats have already launched a microsite (http://www.truthaboutakin.com/) highlighting his controversial statements that won’t play well with moderates. (“America has got the equivalent of the stage III cancer of socialism because the federal government is tampering in all kinds of stuff it has no business tampering in,” Akin once said.)
Here’s how the Democrats did it (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/democrats-signal-eagerness-to-face-todd-akin-in-missouri/2012/08/03/092bfbde-dd9e-11e1-9ff9-1dcd8858ad02_blog.html), running ads in the GOP primary that were intended to boost his appeal among the most conservative primary voters:

The latest example is a new radio ad (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYBGa3o8Xs&feature=player_embedded#%21) paid for by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee that attacks Rep. Todd Akin (R), but does so slyly, in a manner that appears to be designed to endear him to conservative voters.
“Todd Akin calls himself the true conservative, but is he too conservative?” asks the narrator of the ad, which is approved by McCaskill’s campaign and paid for by the DSCC. The narrator goes on to note the negative posture Akin has taken toward President Obama, before concluding, “it’s no surprise Todd has been endorsed by the most conservative leaders in our country – Michele Bachmann and Mike Huckabee.”
Bachmann and Huckabee are popular among conservative voters and are from states in the same geographic region as Missouri. If anything, many undecided conservative primary voters who hear their names in the radio ad would be tempted to give him a closer look.
The Post notes that these ad buys were actually more that Akin spent on his own campaign...
http://washingtonexaminer.com/democrats-spent-1.5-mil-to-help-akin-win-gop-primary/article/2505373#.UDQFvaO2-7R

Creepn
08-21-2012, 05:16 PM
This legitimate rape thing just cracks me up every time I think about it. Aren't these supposed to be Harvard and Yale muthafuckas?

ElNono
08-21-2012, 05:56 PM

good call :lol

Trainwreck2100
08-21-2012, 06:03 PM

if the girl knows who date-raped her, they did it wrong amiriteeverybody?

DMC
08-21-2012, 06:19 PM
If the bitch Kegels properly, she can spit your cum right back at you.

Trainwreck2100
08-21-2012, 06:25 PM

bitches these days don't even exercise the parts you can see

Latarian Milton
08-21-2012, 06:39 PM
ovulation ain't something that a woman can control with her mind imho. when the nerves are stimulated to the climacteric point the ovum will be automatically discharged from the ovary, and the woman can basically do nothing to intercept the process tbh

Wild Cobra
08-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Is that you Shane Botwin?

CosmicCowboy
08-21-2012, 07:55 PM
if the girl knows who date-raped her, they did it wrong amiriteeverybody?

The Duke Lacrosse team says hi!

Trainwreck2100
08-21-2012, 07:58 PM
The Duke Lacrosse team says hi!

that wasn't rape

ChumpDumper
08-21-2012, 08:05 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Ryan-and-Akin.jpg

Man, Obama's prayers to Allah just got answered. All the shirtless Ryan pictures in the world aren't going to get the women's vote.

George Gervin's Afro
08-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Man, Obama's prayers to Allah just got answered. All the shirtless Ryan pictures in the world aren't going to get the women's vote.

I'm praying for you brother.

Juan's a mess

jack sommerset
08-21-2012, 09:37 PM

The blue bloods are indeed giddy with excitement as if the Romney Ryan duo said those ignorant words themselves. God bless

Th'Pusher
08-21-2012, 09:50 PM
The blue bloods are indeed giddy with excitement as if the Romney Ryan duo said those ignorant words themselves. God bless

But they did. Ryan has attempted to codify it into law - forcible rape :lol

George Gervin's Afro
08-21-2012, 10:09 PM

Ironic that you use the word ignorant

jack sommerset
08-21-2012, 10:22 PM
But they did. Ryan has attempted to codify it into law - forcible rape :lol

But they didn't. God bless

jack sommerset
08-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Ironic that you use the word ignorant

Brother, I doubt you know what ironic means. I'm not putting you down so don't get all worked up. God bless

Wild Cobra Kai
08-21-2012, 10:31 PM
smh. Fucking GOP.

smh. People who don't understand that this is who the GOP is, and likely will be for the foreseeable future. This is what you are voting for.

Th'Pusher
08-21-2012, 11:08 PM
But they didn't. God bless

But they did. Check it out: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr212ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr212ih.pdf

Wild Cobra
08-21-2012, 11:43 PM
But they did. Check it out: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr212ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr212ih.pdf
That's not codifying rape. Did you read the bill, or our you being a good lemming and repeating other peoples propaganda? That bill has 64 cosponsors and a sponsor. That means it already has a minimum of 15% support in the house.

The bill would make it very difficult to get an abortion, like it should be. It says nothing about rape.

Besides, the bill was introduced in January last year and is effectively DOA anyway.

ALL ACTIONS:

1/7/2011:
Sponsor introductory remarks on measure. (CR E40)

1/7/2011:
Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

1/24/2011:
Referred to the Subcommittee on the Constitution.

Th'Pusher
08-21-2012, 11:47 PM
That's not codifying rape. Did you read the bill, or our you being a good lemming and repeating other peoples propaganda? That bill has 64 cosponsors and a sponsor. That means it already has a minimum of 15% support in the house.

The bill would make it very difficult to get an abortion, like it should be. It says nothing about rape.

Besides, the bill was introduced in January last year and is effectively DOA anyway.

ALL ACTIONS:

1/7/2011:
Sponsor introductory remarks on measure. (CR E40)

1/7/2011:
Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

1/24/2011:
Referred to the Subcommittee on the Constitution.

It provides no exception for rape or incest. Everything else is semantics. The bill would require a rape victim who became pregnant to bring that pregnancy to term. It was also officially accepted (again) as an official plank of the republican party's platform today.

Wild Cobra
08-22-2012, 12:13 AM
It provides no exception for rape or incest. Everything else is semantics. The bill would require a rape victim who became pregnant to bring that pregnancy to term. It was also officially accepted (again) as an official plank of the republican party's platform today.
That wasn't the point, and such legislation will never happen. It would make abortion more difficult to justify, but it is not an abortion or a rape bill.

Th'Pusher
08-22-2012, 12:17 AM
That wasn't the point, and such legislation will never happen.

Sure it won't. But it is an albatross that can effectively be tied around the the neck of Mr. Ryan, and it should be as it is clearly his actual belief as he attempted to codify this position into law. You can't have it both ways. Sorry.

Wild Cobra
08-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Sure it won't. But it is an albatross that can effectively be tied around the the neck of Mr. Ryan, and it should be as it is clearly his actual belief as he attempted to codify this position into law. You can't have it both ways. Sorry.
You should look at some of the shit the democrats sponsor.

ElNono
08-22-2012, 12:28 AM
While I'm glad Mitt walked away from that party platform declaration, it's terrible his own party keeps on undermining him. I guess it's the byproduct of having to pander to some of the crazies out there.

Wild Cobra
08-22-2012, 12:44 AM
While I'm glad Mitt walked away from that party platform declaration, it's terrible his own party keeps on undermining him. I guess it's the byproduct of having to pander to some of the crazies out there.
Do you really want everyone to be in lockstep?

ElNono
08-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Do you really want everyone to be in lockstep?

I gather Mitt would like a little support from the party... He's now having to address questions about abortion policy et all instead of concentrating on winning the election...

Trainwreck2100
08-22-2012, 01:09 AM
republicans seem to be doing the best at getting the votes they already had

Wild Cobra
08-22-2012, 01:12 AM
I gather Mitt would like a little support from the party... He's now having to address questions about abortion policy et all instead of concentrating on winning the election...
LOL...

You act as if this doesn't happen every four years anyway.

Jacob1983
08-22-2012, 01:20 AM
I thought Mitt supported abortion in the case of rape, incest, and to save the mother's life? Has he flip flopped on that now?

Wild Cobra
08-22-2012, 01:25 AM
I thought Mitt supported abortion in the case of rape, incest, and to save the mother's life? Has he flip flopped on that now?

Not that I have heard.

ElNono
08-22-2012, 01:29 AM

That's what he said today, after saying the party's platform isn't Romney's platform.

ElNono
08-22-2012, 01:31 AM
LOL...

You act as if this doesn't happen every four years anyway.

But it doesn't... McCain didn't really have to address it. If not for Akin, it's probably not such a prominent topic now either....

Wild Cobra
08-22-2012, 01:37 AM
But it doesn't... McCain didn't really have to address it. If not for Akin, it's probably not such a prominent topic now either....
It still surfaces pretty hard every 4 years regardless. The only reason McCain didn't have to address it much is because he's more liberal than conservative.

ElNono
08-22-2012, 01:58 AM
Okay, although McCain position is no different that Romney's...

Jacob1983
08-22-2012, 02:06 AM
The hardcore GOP stance on abortion is no exceptions even if it's rape, incest, or to save the mother's life.

Winehole23
08-22-2012, 05:56 AM
http://www.christianliferesources.com/article/rape-pregnancies-are-rare-461

johnsmith
08-22-2012, 06:01 AM
I believe that when a politician has to clarify what he/she "really meant", then they fucked up by already stating what they "really meant".......I'm looking at you Barry and Biden.

boutons_deux
08-22-2012, 06:30 AM

yes, the progressive people have pointed out gleefully how the Repug platform and Christian Taleban "moral legislators" have put historically moderate Gecko in a severe bind. He was actually quite moderate in MA (otherwise, he wouldn't have be electable in a solidly blue state). Now he's being dragged into the intellectual/moral/puritanical/vindictive/punitive cesspool of "Christian" Taleban.

boutons_deux
08-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Todd Akin’s ‘Legitimate Rape’ Timing Couldn’t Be Worse for Republicans

Just as voters are taking a serious look at Romney and Ryan—and the Republican convention is finalizing its anti-abortion platform—Todd Akin’s stunning ignorance has women rushing for the exits, says former Bush and McCain adviser Mark McKinnon.

So now we can expect days of discussion about Republicans and abortion, and a heightened focus on the platform language that was drafted Monday: “Faithful to the ‘self-evident’ truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children.” That means no exceptions. Not rape. Not incest. Not the life of the mother.

The head of the platform committee is Gov. Bob McDonnell, who attracted national attention when the Virginia legislature considered legislation making ultrasounds mandatory for any woman seeking an abortion.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/22/todd-akin-s-legitimate-rape-timing-couldn-t-be-worse-for-republicans.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=cheatsheet_morning&cid=newsletter%3Bemail%3Bcheatsheet_morning&utm_term=Cheat%20Sheet

boutons_deux
08-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Another religious nut forcing his religion into his secular job.

A Politician Whose Faith Is Central to His Persistence

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Throughout his political career, Representative Todd Akin's agenda has been driven by a belief that his mission came from God.

As a Republican member of Congress, he has sponsored legislation to name 2008 "The National Year of the Bible," and to promote greater recognition of the Ten Commandments. A member of the Presbyterian Church in America, Mr. Akin has accused liberals of trying to remove God from the public sphere. And as the Republican establishment closed ranks on him Tuesday, trying to force him to withdraw from the Missouri Senate race after his controversial remarks about rape and abortion, Mr. Akin provided divine reasoning as to why he would not quit.

It was "appropriate to recognize a creator, God, whose blessings of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is the very source of American freedom," Mr. Akin, 65, said in a radio interview. "And that part of the message I feel is missing" from the campaign, he said, adding, "That's the reason why we're going to continue. Because I believe there is a cause here."

Mr. Akin's defiance and insistence that even without the establishment's support, he can defeat the incumbent Democrat, Senator Claire McCaskill, in a race that could decide the balance of power in the Senate was indicative of his nearly quarter-century in politics in which he regularly embraced the underdog role, relying on grass-roots support and his faith to power him through.

Outspoken and blunt - too blunt, some might say - Mr. Akin, 65, is no stranger to incendiary comments. He has criticized federal spending on things like school lunches and student loans and has been quick to equate government spending to socialism.

" 'God called me to run' - that's the way he thinks," said Jeff Smith, a former Democratic state senator in Missouri, said of Mr. Akin, a six-term congressman who represents parts of eastern Missouri. "I think he thinks it's his destiny, and so you're going to have to get somebody pretty high up there - or, in his mind, pretty close to God - to push him out."

Before Sunday, Mr. Akin was favored to defeat Ms. McCaskill. But then a Fox affiliate in St. Louis showed an interview in which he said that women possess a biological mechanism to ward off pregnancy if they become victims of "legitimate rape." Major donors responded by saying they would cut off Mr. Akin's financing. Prominent national Republican officials have asked him to drop out of the race, fearing he could not win.

Mr. Akin was first elected to the Missouri House in 1988 and much of his base in his early years as a legislator came from being a part of a network of parents who home-schooled their children. All six of his children were home-schooled. His election to Congress in 2000 was a stroke of good fortune, local political analysts said. He was seen as an outside candidate in a five-way Republican primary that he won by 56 votes, in part because the more moderate candidates cut into each other's tally.

In the three-person Republican Senate primary this year, Mr. Akin also was not favored, yet he won in part because Ms. McCaskill and her supporters spent nearly $2 million on advertisements highlighting his conservatism. This was part of the McCaskill camp's strategy to help Mr. Akin win the race, as it thought he would be the easiest candidate to beat in the general election.

William Todd Akin was born in New York on July 5, 1947, but grew up in St. Louis, near where his family had a steel business. He is, in some ways, an enigma.

While he home-schooled all of his children and is appealing mostly to a working-class constituency, he graduated from an elite suburban St. Louis prep school, John Burroughs. He got a degree in engineering from Worcester Polytechnic Institute before earning a master's in divinity from the Covenant Theological Seminary in Missouri.

He worked as a manager at now-bankrupt Laclede Steel, the company his great-grandfather founded and served at as president, succeeded by Mr. Akin's grandfather and father. Mr. Akin's great-grandfather, grandfather and father all attended Harvard.

Mr. Akin chose a different career path, one influenced by his faith.

Rick Mathes, of the Mission Gate Prison Ministry, where Mr. Akin serves on the advisory board, said that Mr. Akin's beliefs drive his political approaches and work. "He wouldn't violate his beliefs if you shot him," said Mr. Mathes, who added that he and Mr. Akin, who participates in Bible studies and prayer groups, were "far to the right" of people like Rush Limbaugh.

Mr. Akin, said Mr. Mathes, believed that "America needs to be returned to its roots, its Judeo-Christian roots."

Yet officials worry that though Mr. Akin has had success speaking to an evangelical constituency, he would struggle in appealing to diverse groups of voters.

But Jonathan Sternberg, a state Republican committee member, said he was drawn to Mr. Akin by his well-spoken, common-sense economic approach. At one event, Mr. Akin spoke of how he had to tell President George W. Bush that he could not vote for education, Medicare and bailout bills that the Mr. Bush asked him to support because of their budgetary implications.

Still, he acknowledged that Mr. Akin's mouth could sometimes get him into trouble. "Todd Akin works so hard and tears himself so ragged," Mr. Sternberg said, "that he has the propensity to say things without thinking."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=963051&f=19

ploto
08-22-2012, 08:32 AM
The guy did not misspeak. He said exactly what he meant to say. He does not want an exclusion to his no abortion law that allows for women who have been raped. He believes that women will say they have been raped in order to get the abortion and to prevent this he is claiming that if she got pregnant, then she must not have really been raped.

I also have major issue with the use of the phrase violent or forcible rape. All rape is forcible and violent.

Th'Pusher
08-22-2012, 08:41 AM

No it appears this time it was Paul Ryan who was doing backflips though hoops to pretend he did not sponsor a person-hood law.

boutons_deux
08-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Ryan Refuses To Say Abortions Should Be Available To Women Who Are Raped

QUESTION: Should abortions to be available to women who are raped?

RYAN: Well, look, I’m proud of my pro-life record. And I stand by my pro-life record in Congress. It’s something I’m proud of. But Mitt Romney is the top of the ticket and Mitt Romney will be president and he will set the policy of the Romney administration.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/22/724641/ryan-refuses-to-say-abortions-should-be-available-to-women-who-are-raped/

:lol what a chickenshit.

boutons_deux
08-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Steve King Has “Never Heard” Of Pregnancy From Statutory Rape

King told an Iowa reporter he’s never heard of a child getting pregnant from statutory rape or incest.

“Well I just haven’t heard of that being a circumstance that’s been brought to me in any personal way,” King told KMEG-TV Monday, “and I’d be open to discussion about that subject matter.”

By Akin’s logic, a logic shared by Mike Huckabee, Steve King, Ron Paul and countless others in the Republican party, this lack of evidence of conception means that an exception to an abortion ban in the cases of statutory rape are not needed.

A 1996 report by the Guttmacher Institute found that at least half of all babies born to minor women are fathered by adult men.

That, by definition, is childbirth as a result of statutory rape. But most importantly is the big picture here. These are not isolated, unhinged comments by the fringe of the Republican party. This is their platform.

http://www.care2.com/causes/steve-king-has-never-heard-of-pregnancy-from-statutory-rape.html#ixzz24Hjdbkt5

"I haven't encountered or heard of personally statutorially raped girls who are pregnant, but I'm willing to talk about it" :lol

ElNono
08-22-2012, 11:40 AM
http://www.christianliferesources.com/article/rape-pregnancies-are-rare-461

Rebuttal:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/08/how-often-does-rape-lead-to-pregnancy/261307/

TeyshaBlue
08-22-2012, 11:52 AM

RYAN: Well, look, I’m proud of my pro-life record. And I stand by my pro-life record in Congress. It’s something I’m proud of. But Mitt Romney is the top of the ticket and Mitt Romney will be president and he will set the policy of the Romney administration.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/22/724641/ryan-refuses-to-say-abortions-should-be-available-to-women-who-are-raped/

I'm pretty sure his views on this are "evolving".

Drachen
08-22-2012, 11:56 AM
i'm pretty sure his views on this are "evolving".

lol

boutons_deux
08-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Ryan: Women’s Health Exception Rendered Abortion Ban ‘Virtually Meaningless’

RYAN: "This is not a political issue, this is a human issue. And let me just say this — to all of my colleagues who are about to vote on this issue, on the motion to recommit — the health exception is a loophole wide enough to drive a mack truck through it. The health exception would render this ban virtually meaningless. [...] [H]undreds of OB/GYNs have told us that this is not medically necessary."

Contra Ryan’s claim that the procedure (also known as “intact dilatation and extraction,” or D&E) could never be medically necessary, the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists held that D&E reduced the risk of “catastrophic hemorrhage and life-threatening infection” and that “[t]hese safety advantages are widely recognized by experts in the field of women’s health, authoritative medical texts, peer-reviewed studies, and the nation’s leading medical schools.” As such, the American Medical Association, which believes D&E would be employed for health reasons in only a very small number of cases, said that “the physician must…retain the discretion” to use D&E if a particular woman’s health needs demand it.

Ryan’s position, by contrast, was most recently defended by former Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA), who called a provision designed to protect women from catastrophic hemorrhaging and infections “a phony exception which would make the ban ineffective.” This is all of a piece with Ryan’s long history of anti-choice zealotry, as he has cosponsored bills redefining rape and defining fetuses as persons with Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO). An absolutist position on abortion more broadly is enshrined in the GOP’s 2012 platform. Governor Romney has committed to exceptions for rape and incest, and Ryan defers to him in setting policy for the ticket.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/08/22/726411/ryan-womens-health-exception-rendered-abortion-ban-virtually-meaningless/

boutons_deux
08-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Dear Rep. King: Meet a Pregnant Rape Victim

Following in Rep. Todd Akin’s footsteps, evangelical extremist Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) said today of pregnancy from rape, “Well I just haven’t heard of that being a circumstance that’s been brought to me in any personal way, and I’d be open to discussion about that subject matter.” It is estimated that some 32,000 American rape victims are made pregnant by their rapists every year in the US.

Science has actually found that raped women are more likely to get pregnant.

http://www.juancole.com/2012/08/dear-rep-king-meet-a-pregnant-rape-victim.html

boutons_deux
08-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Birds & Bees according to Repug Reproductive Faith/Ideology-Based Science

http://www.motherjones.com/files/images/pregnancyflowchart.img_assist_custom-630x816.jpg

CosmicCowboy
08-23-2012, 09:13 AM
LOL war on women. Pffffft.

boutons_deux
08-23-2012, 09:17 AM
The "Christian"/Repug War on Vaginas is real, relentless, and it will cost the Repugs Ms of female votes.

boutons_deux
08-23-2012, 09:24 AM
"A Republican running for county sheriff in New Hampshire is facing calls to leave the race after he suggested it is acceptable to use deadly force to stop a doctor from performing an abortion. "

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/23/733481/szabo-abortion/

murderous Sheriff apologies are as credible as Akin apologies.

boutons_deux
08-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Akin ain't an outlier, he TYPIFIES Repug/"Christian" ideological/"Christian" War on Vaginas that the Repugs didn't want pushed front and center in their LIE-saturated campaign (and the worst of Rove is yet to come).

CosmicCowboy
08-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Akin ain't an outlier, he TYPIFIES Repug/"Christian" ideological/"Christian" War on Vaginas that the Repugs didn't want pushed front and center in their LIE-saturated campaign (and the worst of Rove is yet to come).

:lmao @ Buotox trying to make Akin the poster boy for the Republican party.

That's pathetic.

101A
08-23-2012, 10:14 AM

From a logical perspective; exceptions for anything other than to save the life of the mother are inconsistent with the argument that abortion = murder of a human being. The one thing I assume we can all agree on is that the baby/fetus/embryo/collection of cells is NOT responsible for it's own conception; it is an innocent result. Therefore, executing it for something it had no part in is wrong (however horrifying that is for the woman) - nothing in our tradition trumps "murder". The right to use deadly force against another human ALWAYS includes that person doing something themselves to engender the violent response (otherwise, why is G. Zimmerman in any trouble at all)?

Adding "except" to any argument against abortion, IMO, is politically expedient, even necessary, but it is also grossly inconsistent.

TeyshaBlue
08-23-2012, 10:15 AM

Ok. Verb Typify. Subject "Undefined".

Results: Talking point parrot chow.

boutons_deux
08-23-2012, 10:17 AM
TB :lol

TeyshaBlue
08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
I can't generate cogent, original thoughts.

ElNono
08-23-2012, 11:06 AM
From a logical perspective; exceptions for anything other than to save the life of the mother are inconsistent with the argument that abortion = murder of a human being. The one thing I assume we can all agree on is that the baby/fetus/embryo/collection of cells is NOT responsible for it's own conception; it is an innocent result. Therefore, executing it for something it had no part in is wrong (however horrifying that is for the woman) - nothing in our tradition trumps "murder". The right to use deadly force against another human ALWAYS includes that person doing something themselves to engender the violent response (otherwise, why is G. Zimmerman in any trouble at all)?

Adding "except" to any argument against abortion, IMO, is politically expedient, even necessary, but it is also grossly inconsistent.

I disagree, and for a number of reasons.

First of all, in cases like rape, the mother didn't willingly choose to conceive either. Yet she's going to have to deal with, at the very least, the burden of a parasitic relationship she didn't had the option to have.

I also think such analysis ignore there's psychological factors attached to the pregnancy and those can also be damaging to the mother and/or the child, both short and long term.

clambake
08-23-2012, 11:09 AM

First of all, in cases like rape, the mother didn't willingly choose to conceive either. Yet she's going to have to deal with, at the very least, the burden of a parasitic relationship she didn't had the option to have.

I also think such analysis ignore there's psychological factors attached to the pregnancy and those can also be damaging to the mother and/or the child, both short and long term.

this. but when you're indoctrinated into religion, you are trained to ignore the importance of that........completely.

LnGrrrR
08-23-2012, 11:26 AM
:lmao @ Buotox trying to make Akin the poster boy for the Republican party.

That's pathetic.

Well, the party DID just approve the whole "no abortion, no exception" plank, didn't they?

LnGrrrR
08-23-2012, 11:30 AM

Philosophically speaking, agreed. But in the real world, there's quite a few consequences of not allowing these exceptions. You may have a mother who can't raise the child properly because it's a signifier of a traumatic event. And abortions won't stop; they'll just go underground and be performed by those less qualified.

It's about as hypocritical to allow alcohol while not allowing marijuana. They tried to use that logic to ban alcohol once before, and we saw how well that worked out.

LnGrrrR
08-23-2012, 11:31 AM
As has been said before, if men were the ones who conceived the child, this issue of abortion wouldn't even be a question up for debate.

101A
08-23-2012, 11:56 AM

Is there an example in society where you can legally kill another person for causing "psychological factors" - especially when that person did so unwittingly? What if a guy wrecks into my car; causing my child to be paralyzed/a vegetable - now a parasite on my life. Can I kill my child? Can I even abandon my child? Hell, can I kill the guy who did it?

BTW, I haven't even told you my position on abortion, all I have done is point out the inconsistency of the "except for" provisions that are so popular.

boutons_deux
08-23-2012, 11:57 AM
the problem the Repugs and their suckered "Christian" base refuse to address in their pristine fantasy world of ideology and "Christian" values is that 400K abortions in USA won't disappear.

Maddow show last night reported TX-Repug-screwed TX women or their friends buying hormonal stuff "off label" in MX from unregulated sellers. Coat-hanger up next.

It's extremely simple and naive to be against abortion. That's as far their pea-brains can stretch, but abortions ain't disappearing.

I bet there are plenty of Repug wives, daughters, mistresses, lovers who have had and will continue to have abortions. That's one of the great thing about the 1%, they can afford to fly their pregnant ladies to a nice country where abortion is legal and safe.

101A
08-23-2012, 11:58 AM
As has been said before, if men were the ones who conceived the child, this issue of abortion wouldn't even be a question up for debate.

True that.

I live near Amish country. Women have NO technology in the house; you should see the men's workshops, however.

Table saws, planers, drills of every shape and size; routers - truly envious of there stuff. None powered by electricity, mind you, but the most amazing gas/belt powered stuff you've ever experienced.

Yonivore
08-23-2012, 12:10 PM
How do you explain women that are pro-life?

As has been said before, if unborn children were considered human, this issue of abortion wouldn't even be a question up for debate.

Yonivore
08-23-2012, 12:12 PM

So, the answer is to murder the child?

coyotes_geek
08-23-2012, 12:23 PM

The answer is to let the mother answer this question.

ElNono
08-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Is there an example in society where you can legally kill another person for causing "psychological factors" - especially when that person did so unwittingly? What if a guy wrecks into my car; causing my child to be paralyzed/a vegetable - now a parasite on my life. Can I kill my child? Can I even abandon my child? Hell, can I kill the guy who did it?

But you're comparing apples to oranges. You *could* turn your back at the kid and he'll still likely live. He's fully autonomous. There's no such things for early fetuses in pregnancies. They're wholly dependent on the host's body, and outside of abortion, the host really doesn't get a say. A mother simply can't choose and say, "hey! don't use my fucked up liver!". It's a fully parasitic relationship.

Which is the reason we don't charge mothers for murder when they have a miscarriage. Should we? I mean, her body killed the fetus!

BTW, I haven't even told you my position on abortion, all I have done is point out the inconsistency of the "except for" provisions that are so popular.

Oh, I know. And everyone is entitled to their opinion, both on the exceptions and on abortion itself. I just simply disagree that the "except for" provisions are inconsistent. Obviously, some of that has to do with how I consider a fetus. To my, at least in it's early stages, it's a parasite, not just an autonomous being.

leemajors
08-23-2012, 12:24 PM

No she is a woman and needs to be told what to do.

ElNono
08-23-2012, 12:24 PM

Exactly.

LnGrrrR
08-23-2012, 12:31 PM
How do you explain women that are pro-life?

As has been said before, if unborn children were considered human, this issue of abortion wouldn't even be a question up for debate.

The number of pro-life women is highly outweighed by the number of pro-choice women.

LnGrrrR
08-23-2012, 12:32 PM
True that.

I live near Amish country. Women have NO technology in the house; you should see the men's workshops, however.

Table saws, planers, drills of every shape and size; routers - truly envious of there stuff. None powered by electricity, mind you, but the most amazing gas/belt powered stuff you've ever experienced.

The best meal I ever had was in Amish country. A huge table, everyone passing stuff around and getting to know each other... quite nice. And I own an Amish table... great quality work, and I'm supporting American business. :)

ElNono
08-23-2012, 12:35 PM
BTW, this discussion actually made me look up capital punishment that don't involve a murder, and surprisingly enough there's quite the list... things like aggravated kidnapping, aggravated rape and even perjury (in California).

Apparently, if states want it badly enough, they can enact legal killing for a lot of factors that don't involve murder.

coyotes_geek
08-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Which is the reason we don't charge mothers for murder when they have a miscarriage. Should we? I mean, her body killed the fetus!

Don't be ridiculous. They should be charged with manslaughter, not murder. :p:

ElNono
08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Don't be ridiculous. They should be charged with manslaughter, not murder. :p:

101A
08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
The best meal I ever had was in Amish country. A huge table, everyone passing stuff around and getting to know each other... quite nice. And I own an Amish table... great quality work, and I'm supporting American business. :)

"Working" at my Amish desk right now.

coyotes_geek
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
No she is a woman and needs to be told what to do.

I'm sorry, I thought Yoni asked what's for dinner. My bad.

leemajors
08-23-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm sorry, I thought Yoni asked what's for dinner. My bad.

leemajors
08-23-2012, 12:43 PM
behind every pro life woman is a strong man with a cocked fist

LnGrrrR
08-23-2012, 12:53 PM
"Working" at my Amish desk right now.

:tu Thanks for supporting 'Murrican workers! :lol

Yonivore
08-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Well, for people who believe an unborn child is a person, this is the same as saying you should let the mother answer whether or not she wants to kill her 1 year old child. We don't see the difference.

Yonivore
08-23-2012, 01:10 PM
The number of pro-life women is highly outweighed by the number of pro-choice women.
So? Should we base the rule of law on a majority vote?

Spurminator
08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Well, for people who believe an unborn child is a person, this is the same as saying you should let the mother answer whether or not she wants to kill her 1 year old child. We don't see the difference.

The difference is the 1 year old is not living inside the mother.

djohn2oo8
08-23-2012, 01:14 PM

You must think a miscarriage is murder too.

Yonivore
08-23-2012, 01:15 PM
You must think a miscarriage is murder too.
Intentionally induced. Yep.

Yonivore
08-23-2012, 01:16 PM
The difference is the 1 year old is not living inside the mother.
So, you're with Barack Obama, and are okay with any prenatal abortion, right up to the point of delivery?

Spurminator
08-23-2012, 01:22 PM
So, you're with Barack Obama, and are okay with any prenatal abortion, right up to the point of delivery?

I don't know Obama's position but I feel it should be legal up until the point at which the baby can survive on its own outside the womb. Otherwise you have the law dictating that a person must harbor another person inside her body against her will.

ChumpDumper
08-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Nice straw man, yoni.

If yoni or anyone who wants to control women gave anything resembling a shit about the children after they were born, I would consider them to actually be pro-life.

coyotes_geek
08-23-2012, 01:24 PM

Well, for people who believe that it's absurd not to give a woman/victim a choice in this matter, this is the same as saying you want to punish rape victims for not "shutting that whole thing down" by making them birth someone else's rape trophy solely so that non victims like yourself can feel better about your idealogical purity. We don't see the difference.

leemajors
08-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Nice straw man, yoni.

If yoni or anyone who wants to control women gave anything resembling a shit about the children after they were born, I would consider them to actually be pro-life.

the child's life is sacred until it breathes on its own

Yonivore
08-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't know Obama's position but I feel it should be legal up until the point at which the baby can survive on its own outside the womb. Otherwise you have the law dictating that a person must harbor another person inside her body against her will.
Well, Barack Obama's position is that he's in favor of allowing women to seek abortions, even in the third trimester; and, he voted against the ban on partial-birth abortions.

Is the point at which a baby can survive on its own, outside the womb, the same for every baby? Are there babies that cannot survive outside the womb, even after birth? Are there babies that can survive outside the womb at a point before which abortions are currently being allowed? Is that point subject to change due to medical advancement?

coyotes_geek
08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
the child's life is sacred until it breathes on its own

Once the child can breathe on it's own, it's a sinner, because we're all born sinners. But not before we breathe on our own.

Hmm. A biblical acknowledgement of the moment of birth representing a significant change in the human condition. That's interesting.

ChumpDumper
08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Well, Barack Obama's position is that he's in favor of allowing women to seek abortions, even in the third trimesterLink to his saying that.

Thanks in advance.

LnGrrrR
08-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Here's the idealogical disconnect with conservatives I don't get...

They're against expanding welfare, to save money. Which is fine, except that means that all those mothers who have multiple children won't get as much support, meaning those children will suffer.

They're against increasing funding towards education (more money doesn't necessarily equate to better education, but there's obviously some link there).

Granted, I think Yoni does actually make some interesting points. As our ability to provide life-saving services for children born early increases, the moral question becomes, in my eyes, shadier. I'm against third-trimester abortions except in emergency cases, I'm unsure on 2nd-trimester, and I'm relatively ok with 1st.

ElNono
08-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Granted, I think Yoni does actually make some interesting points. As our ability to provide life-saving services for children born early increases, the moral question becomes, in my eyes, shadier. I'm against third-trimester abortions except in emergency cases, I'm unsure on 2nd-trimester, and I'm relatively ok with 1st.

Perhaps science and technology will open the door to, say, "fetus adoptions" or some such.

LnGrrrR
08-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Perhaps science and technology will open the door to, say, "fetus adoptions" or some such.

I would like to think that, in an advanced future society, we'll have the technology for those who want to abort to do something like the above. People already want adoptions pretty young, so fetuses (fetii? :lol) should be right up their alley. I'm sure all the Hollywood celebrities would find it the new chic thing to do.

I would suggest that maybe it could be a government program to protect these children, but that would sound like some sort of socialist health care program, and I doubt the conservatives care that much about the unborn.

boutons_deux
08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
"As our ability to provide life-saving services for children born early increases"

One of the huge indicators that America has fucked up health is the huge drop in full-term babies.

One would think that something as essential to the species as birth would be most immune to environmental factors, since sensitive babies would have been selected out, survival of the fittest (for surviving adverse birth conditions). But even white women can hold them full term. some startling stats with 1990 as baseline

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db39.htm

Yoni loves sterile, legalistic, rabbinical debates and playing gotcha. But what is his solution for 400K abortions in USA annually?

Yonivore
08-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Here's the idealogical disconnect with conservatives I don't get...

They're against expanding welfare, to save money. Which is fine, except that means that all those mothers who have multiple children won't get as much support, meaning those children will suffer.

They're against increasing funding towards education (more money doesn't necessarily equate to better education, but there's obviously some link there).

I see them as two different problems on which the judgement of one should not inform the judgement of the other.

If I believe unborn children should not be killed, (just as I hope you believe post-natal children should not be killed) simply because of the circumstances of their living conditions, I don't see how you can conflate the two and pretend it matters into what circumstances a baby will be born when determining whether or not to kill it.

For those of us who believe unborn children should not be killed, this is the same as you saying a child living in abject poverty, with little hope of rising above it, should be euthanized.

CosmicCowboy
08-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Link to his saying that.

Thanks in advance.

SB 230 Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act. Senate approved bill 44-7, with five senators voting present, including Obama.

"Present," technically means "No." Senators will typically vote "Present" so that it won't be used against them in future elections.
SB 562 Parental Notice of Abortion Act. Bill passed Senate 39-7, with 11 present votes, including Obama.
SB 1093 Law to protect Liveborn children. Bill passed 34-6, with 12 present, including Obama.
SB 1094 Bill to protect children born as result of induced labor abortion. Bill passed 33-6, with 13 present, including Obama.
SB 1095 Bill defining "born alive" defines "born-alive infant" to include infant "born alive at any stage of development." Bill passed 34-5, with nine present, including Obama.

Blake
08-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Fyi...

In a growing number of US states, pregnant women who miscarry their babies are being criminalized, some charged with murder.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2011/07/06/18683911.php

granted, these are cases where the women allegedly consumed harmful substances, but they still beg the question as to where life begins.

ChumpDumper
08-23-2012, 02:17 PM
SB 230 Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act. Senate approved bill 44-7, with five senators voting present, including Obama.

"Present," technically means "No." Senators will typically vote "Present" so that it won't be used against them in future elections.
SB 562 Parental Notice of Abortion Act. Bill passed Senate 39-7, with 11 present votes, including Obama.
SB 1093 Law to protect Liveborn children. Bill passed 34-6, with 12 present, including Obama.
SB 1094 Bill to protect children born as result of induced labor abortion. Bill passed 33-6, with 13 present, including Obama.
SB 1095 Bill defining "born alive" defines "born-alive infant" to include infant "born alive at any stage of development." Bill passed 34-5, with nine present, including Obama.So he didn't say it.

Thanks.

lol technically