PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tony Scott

ace3g
08-19-2012, 11:11 PM
I was actually a fan of his movies, if this news is real, you never really know what a person is going through...

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_21349685/breaking-man-who-jumped-from-vincent-thomas-bridge

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_21349685/breaking-man-who-jumped-from-vincent-thomas-bridge

Man on Fire is one of my favs

Have Unstoppable on my computer and had been meaning to watch it for a while now, in his honor, will watch it tonight.

Reck
08-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Damn, sad news.

I like his movies.

I'm sure Denzel Washington is sad as well. He's like in 80% of his work.

AussieFanKurt
08-19-2012, 11:20 PM
RIP. Man on Fire was awesome.

I wander what was happening in his life to result in suicide

ace3g
08-19-2012, 11:22 PM
I wonder what this means for Top Gun 2

SA210
08-19-2012, 11:37 PM

That's what I was thinking too.

Damn, that's messed up.

Spy Game, Top Gun, True Romance, some of my favorite films of all time.

RIP

:depressed

Jacob1983
08-20-2012, 12:22 AM
RIP

Some of his best work in my opinion.

http://img.movieberry.com/static/photos/290/poster.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/75/Enemy_of_the_State.jpg/220px-Enemy_of_the_State.jpg

AussieFanKurt
08-20-2012, 12:26 AM
P6LZhpgpggU

Viva Las Espuelas
08-20-2012, 12:48 AM

Let's not jump to any conclusions

Stringer_Bell
08-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Top Gun, Last Boy Scout, and True Romance are some great films - will continue to appreciate them regardless of how bad everything from 2000 onward was. It's a tragedy - RIP, Mr. Scott.

Jacob1983
08-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Stringer, show the man some damn respect. Fuckin' ridiculous!

CuckingFunt
08-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Top Gun, Last Boy Scout, and True Romance are some great films - will continue to appreciate them regardless of how bad everything from 2000 onward was. It's a tragedy - RIP, Mr. Scott.

True Romance was an enjoyable film despite Scott's horrible direction. Complete destruction of a great Tarantino script, in my opinion. Especially at the end, when what should be a hilarious confrontation ends up looking like a shitty episode of Miami Vice.

Sad what happened, though.

BRHornet45
08-20-2012, 02:28 AM
sons he must have really wanted to die. look at how tall the fence is that he climbed to be able to jump ...

http://i49.tinypic.com/6gfmh3.jpg

100%duncan
08-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Rip

PublicOption
08-20-2012, 03:18 AM
greatest movie scene ever. if you haven't seen true romance you are missing out. quentin tarantino written and tony scott directed=one hell of a movie.

QzPCcwChewM&feature=related

SA210
08-20-2012, 03:28 AM
greatest movie scene ever. if you haven't seen true romance you are missing out. quentin tarantino written and tony scott directed=one hell of a movie.

QzPCcwChewM&feature=related

Definitely. :tu :tu

Loved his direction on this film. One of the greatest scenes, ever. Great direction, acting, music...just amazingly perfect and never gets old.

AussieFanKurt
08-20-2012, 03:33 AM
tbh Top Gun is a shit film

BRHornet45
08-20-2012, 03:37 AM
and of course now, out of the blue ... his ass will be kissed and worshiped by bandwagon jumpers.

SA210
08-20-2012, 03:47 AM
Celebs Mourn the Filmmaker's Death on Twitter

http://www.eonline.com/news/339213/rip-tony-scott-celebs-mourn-the-filmmaker-s-death-on-twitter

PublicOption
08-20-2012, 03:48 AM
True Romance was an enjoyable film despite Scott's horrible direction. Complete destruction of a great Tarantino script, in my opinion. Especially at the end, when what should be a hilarious confrontation ends up looking like a shitty episode of Miami Vice.

Sad what happened, though.

I think true romance was great because we see the disjointed classic Tarantino script with the polished direction of Tony Scott I think it makes this movie an all time great.

redzero
08-20-2012, 04:03 AM
Who's going to make train movies with Denzel Washington now?

CavsSuperFan
08-20-2012, 05:47 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Scott...

WHENEVER Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich—yes, richer than a king,
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head

Wild Cobra Kai
08-20-2012, 07:35 AM

Last Boy Scout was awful. Little known fact: there was so much post production needed on this film that they had to re-shoot and add entire scenes. The only problem was that Damon Wayans had put on about 30 lbs in the interim. You can see fat and skinny Damon interchange throughout the film. :lol

RIP Tony.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-20-2012, 07:40 AM
BTW, what is it about the younger brother in British brother director pairs? Ted Demme died way too young of a drug overdose, too.

monosylab1k
08-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Sad news but overall this guy was a pretty shitty director.

monosylab1k
08-20-2012, 08:59 AM
BTW, what is it about the younger brother in British brother director pairs? Ted Demme died way too young of a drug overdose, too.

The Demmes aren't British.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Definitely. :tu :tu

Loved his direction on this film. One of the greatest scenes, ever. Great direction, acting, music...just amazingly perfect and never gets old.

Yep. I think it's a great movie. I know we all have different tastes but I have no idea what cf is talking about. Hilarious? Whaaaa? smh

CuckingFunt
08-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I think true romance was great because we see the disjointed classic Tarantino script with the polished direction of Tony Scott I think it makes this movie an all time great.

Yep. I think it's a great movie. I know we all have different tastes but I have no idea what cf is talking about. Hilarious? Whaaaa? smh

I don't necessarily think that Scott's direction was all that polished in that one, for one thing. But for me it's mostly a problem of tone. There's enough in the movie that works, so I like it overall, but there are several segments/characters where it just feels to me as if Scott missed the mark. Like he didn't get the script he was directing.

SA210
08-20-2012, 01:02 PM
WdkzZxsvxCo

SA210
08-20-2012, 01:34 PM
'Top Gun' Director Tony Scott Had Inoperable Brain Cancer'

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/top-gun-director-tony-scott-inoprable-brain-cancer/story?id=17039434#.UDKBK6P8nyI

Tony Scott, director of "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder" and "Crimson Tide," had inoperable brain cancer, a source close to him told ABC News.
The famed director died Sunday after jumping from a bridge in Los Angeles, authorities said.

Police said they received a 911 call at about 12:30 p.m. that an individual had jumped off the Vincent Thomas Bridge. The body was recovered around 3 p.m., when it was identified by authorities as Scott, according to Lt. Joseph Bale of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed today.

The Coroner's Office found several notes to loved ones in Scott's car, a spokesman told The Associated Press. A suicide note was later found at his office, according to the AP.

"I can confirm that Tony Scott has passed away. The family asks that their privacy is respected at this time," Scott's spokesman, Simon Halls, said in a statement, according to the AP.

(http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/top-gun-director-tony-scott-inoprable-brain-cancer/story?id=17039434#.UDKBK6P8nyI)

Viva Las Espuelas
08-20-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't necessarily think that Scott's direction was all that polished in that one, for one thing. But for me it's mostly a problem of tone. There's enough in the movie that works, so I like it overall, but there are several segments/characters where it just feels to me as if Scott missed the mark. Like he didn't get the script he was directing.

Did you get a script?

Viva Las Espuelas
08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
'Top Gun' Director Tony Scott Had Inoperable Brain Cancer'

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/top-gun-director-tony-scott-inoprable-brain-cancer/story?id=17039434#.UDKBK6P8nyI

(http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/top-gun-director-tony-scott-inoprable-brain-cancer/story?id=17039434#.UDKBK6P8nyI)

Well, that's one way to deal with it. Being selfish and all......

Jacob1983
08-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Enemy of the State, Crimson Tide, Deja Vu, Enemy of the State, etc... are shitty movies? You serious? What are you expecting when you watch action movies? An Oscar worthy picture from start to finish?

DMC
08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Rich folks killing themselves because they've reached the end of the bucket list early.

DMC
08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Enemy of the State, Crimson Tide, Deja Vu, Enemy of the State, etc... are shitty movies? You serious? What are you expecting when you watch action movies? An Oscar worthy picture from start to finish?

He made Enemy of the State twice?

Check your pill dude.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-20-2012, 04:57 PM
He could have rode out his terminal diagnosis making Top Gun 2, and made Walter White look like a fucking saint in the process.

Reck
08-20-2012, 06:58 PM
I dont agree with people committing suicide in general but in this case I can see why he did it.

I think you should be able to decide whether you want to end it now rather than go through the pain and suffering of dying slowly.

Doctors aren't willing to end your suffering at your behalf so you are left with only one course of action really.

Udokafan05
08-20-2012, 10:27 PM
TMZ now reporting he never had brain cancer, just rumor

MannyIsGod
08-20-2012, 10:58 PM
tbh top gun is a shit film

take it back bitch.

AussieFanKurt
08-20-2012, 11:49 PM
take it back bitch.

i'll take back it's shit but it's only average

Sportcamper
08-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Well Top Gun opened the overtime flood gates for post production workers…Anyone lucky enough to get picked up on a Tony Scott film earned 5 to 6 months salary in just 10 or 12 weeks….

leemajors
08-21-2012, 09:31 AM
take it back bitch.

it's no Road House for sure.

Spurtacus
08-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Wow. I just heard about his death. RIP.

Mark in Austin
08-21-2012, 03:54 PM

I think the Blu Ray has an interesting interview with Tarantino about the changes Scott made. If I remember correctly, it boiled down to QT realizing that every director has a voice and that has to come through in the movie; he understood the changes Scott made, even of they were ones he wouldn't have made himself if he was directing. Very insightful interview.

BTW CF, did you hear that Tom Hardy is up for the role of John Clark in a film version of Tom Clancy's Without Remorse? I think that would be brilliant casting actually, even though for years I thought the role was perfect for Gary Sinese.