PDA

View Full Version : red light cameras

Bill_Brasky
08-20-2012, 03:21 PM
So I just got a ticket in the mail saying that I've been fined $75 for running a red light. The kicker? I'm making a completely legal right turn in the still images they've provided. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I didn't make a full stop....but how the fuck would they even know that based on stills?

And apparently these tickets don't even mean anything. Failure to pay results in a $25 late fee....not a warrant. Should I just go ahead and ignore this bullshit? I'm not really feeling like forking over any money to fund these shenanigans in a town/county that I don't even live in.

This is just fuckin ridiculous. For being a red "small gubmint!" state, it sure feels like I'm being watched at all times.

mrsmaalox
08-20-2012, 03:27 PM
They just send stills in the mail; go to their site and you can see the video.

AussieFanKurt
08-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Protest that shit

lakerhaterade
08-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Where do you live?

Viva Las Espuelas
08-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Yeah. The video is online. Go check it out. My buddy got one and felt like you did but when he watched it, it was clear. It was hilarious

resistanze
08-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Holy shit only $75? It's like $325 here.

benefactor
08-20-2012, 04:36 PM
You got off easy. Don't run a stop sign. That's the one they get you on.

The Reckoning
08-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Yeah. The video is online. Go check it out. My buddy got one and felt like you did but when he watched it, it was clear. It was hilarious

that's usually the case :lol

Bill_Brasky
08-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah the thing is I roll through red lights all the time on right turns when I can clearly see that nobody is gonna be coming as I'm approaching the intersection. Didn't even know that particular intersection was photo enforced.

Guess that's a habit I'm gonna have to get out of if big bro really is watching.

DMC
08-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Send them a picture of a check.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-20-2012, 06:17 PM
So I just got a ticket in the mail saying that I've been fined $75 for running a red light. The kicker? I'm making a completely legal right turn in the still images they've provided. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I didn't make a full stop....but how the fuck would they even know that based on stills?

And apparently these tickets don't even mean anything. Failure to pay results in a $25 late fee....not a warrant. Should I just go ahead and ignore this bullshit? I'm not really feeling like forking over any money to fund these shenanigans in a town/county that I don't even live in.

This is just fuckin ridiculous. For being a red "small gubmint!" state, it sure feels like I'm being watched at all times.

If you ignore it, it isn't criminal, but it can definitely hit your credit rating.

Wild Cobra
08-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Just pay the silly thing.

Besides, I get tired of people who roll out past a stop line in front of me. Makes me wonder if they aren't going to stop.

What other traffic laws do you violate?

Bill_Brasky
08-20-2012, 06:37 PM
:lol I'm supposed to send the money to some PO box in Arizona

You just know it's being funneled into some sleazy politician's uncle's business account.

Blake
08-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Didn't even know that particular intersection was photo enforced.

fyi, they are required to post a notification sign that states a red light camera is in use at that intersection.

Bill_Brasky
08-20-2012, 06:50 PM
fyi, they are required to post a notification sign that states a red light camera is in use at that intersection.

I'm sure it's there but hidden behind a tree or some shit. I'll check when I drive by there tomorrow though.

Creepn
08-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Yeah the thing is I roll through red lights all the time on right turns when I can clearly see that nobody is gonna be coming as I'm approaching the intersection. Didn't even know that particular intersection was photo enforced.

Guess that's a habit I'm gonna have to get out of if big bro really is watching.

Law is law. If you didn't stop then you just ran a red light. Don't do the crime if you don't want to pay the fine.

Fabbs
08-20-2012, 07:08 PM
License plate sealer.
In liquid application and clear plastic cover forms.
Never be bothered by cameras again. :toast

mavs>spurs
08-20-2012, 07:14 PM
i thought those things were found to be inadmissible in court?

Lincoln
08-20-2012, 07:16 PM
They're adding them everywhere here in McKinney/Plano. It's a pain really

Wild Cobra
08-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm sure it's there but hidden behind a tree or some shit. I'll check when I drive by there tomorrow though.
Make sure you bring a camera.

Several years ago, soon after my oldest daughter learned to drive, she was given a school zone ticket for not slowing to 20MPH. Th police like to pick areas that the brush is overgrown over the signs. I took photos the next day for when we went to court. The judge wasn't very happy with the police officer when she saw the photos I took. I had an indication she was going to dismiss all the tickets he wrote there that day. The police are suppose to protect and serve. They are also suppose to verify the sign is plainly seen when they pick a spot to enforce school zones at the beginning of the year, and report such signs to be cleared for safety purposes of the kids.

Not protecting the kids very well when they use such things to write more tickets.

Wild Cobra
08-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Who are you going to claim drove your car?

I think it varies from place to place, and depends if you are clear in the photo or not.

Wild Cobra
08-20-2012, 07:23 PM
License plate sealer.
In liquid application and clear plastic cover forms.
Never be bothered by cameras again. :toast
That's a crime if you get caught... At least if it impairs visual sighting. It still doesn't stop all cameras from seeing a plate.

Fabbs
08-20-2012, 07:36 PM
That's a crime if you get caught... At least if it impairs visual sighting.
Not this stuff. Purrrfectly legal.

It still doesn't stop all cameras from seeing a plate.
I suppose some gov't agencys have hired private firms (which most camera lights are run by) with CIA level stuff. Vast majority, nope.

Creepn
08-20-2012, 07:53 PM
They make newer navigation systems that warns you when you are approaching a camera.

DMC
08-20-2012, 08:57 PM
They can read your VIN

Blake
08-20-2012, 09:13 PM

I think criminal court, yes.

These are civil fines.

Fabbs
08-20-2012, 09:17 PM
They can read your VIN
get with the times DMC.
Cover that thing up a long time ago.
Black tape black plastic whatever.

DMC
08-20-2012, 09:23 PM
get with the times DMC.
Cover that thing up a long time ago.
Black tape black plastic whatever.

I am high tech as fuck.

You have an RFID chip in your car.

Fabbs
08-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Do I?

"There are contradicting opinions as to whether aluminum can prevent reading of RFID chips. Some people claim that aluminum shielding, essentially creating a Faraday cage, does work.[86] Others claim that simply wrapping an RFID card in aluminum foil only makes transmission more difficult and is not completely effective at preventing it.[87]

Shielding effectiveness depends on the frequency being used. Low-frequency LowFID tags, like those used in implantable devices for humans and pets, are relatively resistant to shielding,[citation needed] though thick metal foil will prevent most reads[citation needed]. High frequency HighFID tags (13.56 MHz—smart cards and access badges) are sensitive to shielding and are difficult to read when within a few centimetres of a metal surface.[citation needed] UHF Ultra-HighFID tags (pallets and cartons) are difficult to read when placed within a few millimetres of a metal surface,[citation needed] although their read range is actually increased when they are spaced 2–4 cm from a metal surface due to positive reinforcement of the reflected wave and the incident wave at the tag.[citation needed] UHFID tags can be successfully shielded from most reads by being placed within an antistatic bag.

Temperature exposure

Currently, RFID tags are created by gluing an integrated circuit (IC) to an inlay. This poses a problem as vibration and high temperatures will loosen the connection. If the IC loses connection with the inlay, the RFID tag will no longer transmit."

"

Wild Cobra
08-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Do I?

"There are contradicting opinions as to whether aluminum can prevent reading of RFID chips. Some people claim that aluminum shielding, essentially creating a Faraday cage, does work.[86] Others claim that simply wrapping an RFID card in aluminum foil only makes transmission more difficult and is not completely effective at preventing it.[87]

Shielding effectiveness depends on the frequency being used. Low-frequency LowFID tags, like those used in implantable devices for humans and pets, are relatively resistant to shielding,[citation needed] though thick metal foil will prevent most reads[citation needed]. High frequency HighFID tags (13.56 MHz—smart cards and access badges) are sensitive to shielding and are difficult to read when within a few centimetres of a metal surface.[citation needed] UHF Ultra-HighFID tags (pallets and cartons) are difficult to read when placed within a few millimetres of a metal surface,[citation needed] although their read range is actually increased when they are spaced 2–4 cm from a metal surface due to positive reinforcement of the reflected wave and the incident wave at the tag.[citation needed] UHFID tags can be successfully shielded from most reads by being placed within an antistatic bag.

Temperature exposure

Currently, RFID tags are created by gluing an integrated circuit (IC) to an inlay. This poses a problem as vibration and high temperatures will loosen the connection. If the IC loses connection with the inlay, the RFID tag will no longer transmit."

"
Need copper or gold foil, which is a little harder to find.