PDA

View Full Version : Startup ideas for $10K or less?

DPG21920
08-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Any entrepreneurs? Thought it would be something cool to discuss.

I'll start - Sports Blog: Develop the site, possibly marketing (SEO...) & maintain the site/domain name & also possibly pay writers for content.

mavs>spurs
08-21-2012, 09:13 PM
You're not good enough of a sportswriter to do any of the blogging yourself, so you're going to need a lot more than 10k to pay the writers salaries for a while until the blog gets popular and becomes profitable.

DPG21920
08-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Idea #2: Credit Union help kiosk. Can lease a kiosk for about $1500 a month. There is a huge demand for information on how to join a credit union. With over 49% of all business majors electing to major in Finance, there is a huge customer base of people who need this service.

DMC
08-21-2012, 09:26 PM
I think there are too many of those things already, most end up being dead end links after a few months.

Screen printing.

Also, powder coating metal like gun barrels or bike parts.

resistanze
08-21-2012, 09:27 PM
:lol

Reck
08-21-2012, 09:28 PM
You're not good enough of a sportswriter to do any of the blogging yourself, so you're going to need a lot more than 10k to pay the writers salaries for a while until the blog gets popular and becomes profitable.

Well he doesn't need proffesional writers off the bat. Just start off with 1 or two amateur or small time writer that are decent and go from there.

You dont want to spend all you have in one shot. You'd be out of business before getting started.

mavs>spurs
08-21-2012, 09:28 PM
I got an idea, a startup biotech company devoted to developing a grow taller formula. It could get financing through venture capitalists and the demand there is huge. 99% of all men wish they were taller, and studies show that height can actually play a role in confidence and success in life.

DMC
08-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Well he doesn't need proffesional writers off the bat. Just start off with 1 or two amateur or small time writer that are decent and go from there.

You dont want to spend all you have in one shot. You'd be out of business before getting started.
Yeah no one is doing that. There's money to be made.

If Kori started charging a fee this place would be a ghost town and they have good writing and a good forum.

Startups with shit writers that no one wants to read anyhow aren't going to sustain because they don't make money.

Reck
08-21-2012, 09:48 PM

If Kori started charging a fee this place would be a ghost town and they have good writing and a good forum.

Startups with shit writers that no one wants to read anyhow aren't going to sustain because they don't make money.

You're talking about different things though. Free board versus a blog type site.

BTW DPG doesn't mean one of those free blogs that are rampant on the net right?

DPG21920
08-21-2012, 09:50 PM
I think there are too many of those things already, most end up being dead end links after a few months.

Screen printing.

For sure - this was just something to see some ideas (good, bad and in-between).

DPG21920
08-21-2012, 09:51 PM
I got an idea, a startup biotech company devoted to developing a grow taller formula. It could get financing through venture capitalists and the demand there is huge. 99% of all men wish they were taller, and studies show that height can actually play a role in confidence and success in life.

Trying too hard - not funny :td

DPG21920
08-21-2012, 09:52 PM

Bleacher report. Not that I want to do a sports site/blog, but that was just an idea for under 10K.

mavs>spurs
08-21-2012, 09:54 PM
credit union smack- not funny :td

DPG21920
08-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Actually, someone laughed at my idea. Then you thought it was funny enough to copy my schtick (trying to make a joke using percentages) but failed. Just let it go & quit responding to every damn little shot at you.

Please bring a real idea if you have them and quit trying to derail my thread. God bless you, M>S.

mavs>spurs
08-21-2012, 10:04 PM
I thought it was so retarded that I mocked it, actually.

DPG21920
08-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Moving on....

Charlie - that is a feasible idea. Lot's of things like that you can do as a startup if you get licensed, trained and the items you mentioned. Other things like that: Real estate agent, website designer, home inspector...all practical ideas :tu

Drachen
08-21-2012, 10:10 PM
real estate wholeseller

DMC
08-21-2012, 10:19 PM
I know a guy who made a lot of money picking up iron furniture from Mexico and selling it in the US. He had to take a flat bed once a month and he got a spot at a flea market. He made a shit ton of money relative to his costs.

You couldn't do that from scratch with 10K. You have to have a truck and a flatbed trailer and you have to pay for a booth at a flea market.

Then there's roasted corn. You can sell a lot of that if you can get a decent location like the ones at Cabelas.

And snowcones. Small investment, little shack, decent location. Guy in Round Rock had a tiny shack and sold cones (damn good ones) and now he has a large ice house (actually sells ice with self service dispensers and all that).

Drachen
08-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Then there's roasted corn. You can sell a lot of that if you can get a decent location like the ones at Cabelas.

Along this line, 10k could be a good down payment on a food truck if you are so inclined.

DPG21920
08-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Food trucks are wildly popular where I am at. Seems like I am seeing them in other cities too.

DMC
08-21-2012, 10:24 PM
If you could get the truck then give someone a decent percentage to run it, you could eventually get a fleet.

Lawncare is another route.

Drachen
08-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Food trucks are wildly popular where I am at. Seems like I am seeing them in other cities too.

they are growing here.

Actually I saw an article in the houston chronicle about a company that has food grocery trucks. These trucks accept foodstamps and drive around poor neighborhoods and accept delivery requests (so you can either flag them down if you see them or call up and have them come directly to your house). They had a limited food selection and they were growing exponentially (98% of their revenue came from food stamps). You could do this starting with one truck and a few neighborhoods and go from there.

Drachen
08-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Also, if you already have some of the required items (truck, trailer, etc) you could start a pressure washing company and target small gas stations. I used to work for a pressure washer, that shit is a racket.

mavs>spurs
08-21-2012, 10:32 PM
An internet sports betting agency.

thispego
08-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Dog poop removal service. Big market, endless need. Boom.

BRHornet45
08-21-2012, 11:19 PM

I'll start - Sports Blog: Develop the site, possibly marketing (SEO...) & maintain the site/domain name & also possibly pay writers for content.

son I'll write for you. guaranteed success with my truth bombs.

however I want 70% considering I'll be the star. God bless

BRHornet45
08-21-2012, 11:24 PM
http://hostingb.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-23/1001Jamie-K.jpg

DPG21920
08-21-2012, 11:28 PM
"Truth Bombs Sports" - Damn son!

apalisoc_9
08-21-2012, 11:35 PM
What about a painting service? I know a dude that started doing painting by himself..Some Paints, An old van of his and service..Now he has four employees and two vans.

DPG21920
08-21-2012, 11:37 PM
That is definitely another idea - lot's of trades would seem to fit in this thread.

BRHornet45
08-21-2012, 11:40 PM
and now he has a large ice house (actually sells ice with self service dispensers and all that).

son I actually looked into the ice vending business several years ago and those bastards are expensive (to get the good ones). Ice House America is pretty much the best machine that you can get and they protect their buyers with zip code territory rights, but most of the good territories are already taken. they have a couple different size machines, but for the big one that has the capability of generating up to $50K in yearly revenue cost $125K at the time. I know a guy who owns two of them and between the two he is lucky to clear $80K a year in total revenue and you can expect your profit to be about a third of that by the time you pay rent, water, etc.. he has told me that although the machines are a decent investment, they often have a lot of mechanical issues during his "busy/summer time" and you need to own several of them to make any money.

still though not a bad investment, but a time consuming one. I backed out because considering he invested $250K into his two machines only to see about $25K a year in profit ... there are many other more profitable business ventures out there for that kind of investment. the only way the ice vending machines would be worth getting into is if you had about a million to invest into owning 10 or so machines. but again, the biggest problem is that most of the good areas are already taken.

apalisoc_9
08-21-2012, 11:42 PM
That is definitely another idea - lot's of trades would seem to fit in this thread.

That thing with that though, You would need some kind of experience for whatever trade you're trying to get into.

TDMVPDPOY
08-22-2012, 12:33 AM
hydroplant setup...u know u want to...

DeadlyDynasty
08-22-2012, 01:15 AM
Lawncare is another route.
You definitely could hire a few people from this site for det:lol

An internet sports betting agency.

I'd put $5K towards this if you want, Deep. I already have a small clientele list for football season....could expand if need be.

The Reckoning
08-22-2012, 01:35 AM
a herd of poodles to start a poodle wool coat company

TimDunkem
08-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Start a photography business; that's the hip thing to do nowadays. You don't even have to be good at it. Most of the people I know that are in it aren't. :lol

BRHornet45
08-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Start a photography business; that's the hip thing to do nowadays. You don't even have to be good at it. Most of the people I know that are in it aren't. :lol

a lot of truth in this. most photographers nowadays are just in it to take photos of women. 90% of them have zero skill or talent. the camera and computer does 95% of the work for them.

TimDunkem
08-22-2012, 02:02 AM
a lot of truth in this. most photographers nowadays are just in it to take photos of women. 90% of them have zero skill or talent. the camera and computer does 95% of the work for them.
BR, dropping truth bombs, as usual.

The people I mentioned seemingly ARE in it to take pictures of women, and when they don't, they take pictures of any remotely beautiful place or area, then put it through Instagram and make a profit.

DMC
08-22-2012, 04:46 PM
son I actually looked into the ice vending business several years ago and those bastards are expensive (to get the good ones). Ice House America is pretty much the best machine that you can get and they protect their buyers with zip code territory rights, but most of the good territories are already taken. they have a couple different size machines, but for the big one that has the capability of generating up to $50K in yearly revenue cost $125K at the time. I know a guy who owns two of them and between the two he is lucky to clear $80K a year in total revenue and you can expect your profit to be about a third of that by the time you pay rent, water, etc.. he has told me that although the machines are a decent investment, they often have a lot of mechanical issues during his "busy/summer time" and you need to own several of them to make any money.

still though not a bad investment, but a time consuming one. I backed out because considering he invested $250K into his two machines only to see about $25K a year in profit ... there are many other more profitable business ventures out there for that kind of investment. the only way the ice vending machines would be worth getting into is if you had about a million to invest into owning 10 or so machines. but again, the biggest problem is that most of the good areas are already taken.

I wasn't suggesting ice vending, but snow cone vending. I was just saying the profit the guy made allowed him to build an ice house (he still sells cones).

http://www.discoverroundrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/The-Water-Jug.jpg

stretch
08-22-2012, 06:03 PM
make a shitload of niche websites and get money from ads

DPG21920
08-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Idea: Company called "Short Changed" (It's not only funny because of lol short, but the idea behind it - could this be any more perfect?!) - To start it up: Truck or Van, a couple of hourly workers & some small equipment (GPS, dollies...). A company where if you feel you were "short changed" in some sort of settlement (alimony, child support or something else) you can hire short changed to make your installment payment/settlement payment in all coins/change. So you are pissed because of the alimony? Call up short changed bring the amount you owe + the fee for using us and we show up at their house to deliver payment in all coins. For an extra fee, we can video tape the experience and capture the look on their face when they get their $1000 monthly payment in all pennies.

CosmicCowboy
08-23-2012, 09:31 AM
they are growing here.

Actually I saw an article in the houston chronicle about a company that has food grocery trucks. These trucks accept foodstamps and drive around poor neighborhoods and accept delivery requests (so you can either flag them down if you see them or call up and have them come directly to your house). They had a limited food selection and they were growing exponentially (98% of their revenue came from food stamps). You could do this starting with one truck and a few neighborhoods and go from there.

They are already in SA. Saw one a couple of days ago.

CosmicCowboy
08-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Go to trucking school and get your CDL with tanker cert. Drivers in south Texas are raking in 100K a year easy.

PakiDan
08-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Idea: Company called "Short Changed" (It's not only funny because of lol short, but the idea behind it - could this be any more perfect?!) - To start it up: Truck or Van, a couple of hourly workers & some small equipment (GPS, dollies...). A company where if you feel you were "short changed" in some sort of settlement (alimony, child support or something else) you can hire short changed to make your installment payment/settlement payment in all coins/change. So you are pissed because of the alimony? Call up short changed bring the amount you owe + the fee for using us and we show up at their house to deliver payment in all coins. For an extra fee, we can video tape the experience and capture the look on their face when they get their $1000 monthly payment in all pennies.

Dude... I LIKE this idea! I'm in!

CosmicCowboy
08-23-2012, 10:00 AM
I find it hilarious that some of you think owning your own company means you don't have to work.

LnGrrrR
08-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Idea #2: Credit Union help kiosk. Can lease a kiosk for about $1500 a month. There is a huge demand for information on how to join a credit union. With over 49% of all business majors electing to major in Finance, there is a huge customer base of people who need this service.

:lmao

LnGrrrR
08-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Back to the OP, food trucks are all over Honolulu too. Trades are probably safe because they require semi specialized knowledge, and hard work.

DPG21920
08-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Dude... I LIKE this idea! I'm in!

Short changed ... Remember that!

mouse
08-25-2012, 07:55 AM
picking up iron furniture from Mexico and selling it in the US.

For some reason this idea made me think of this

1WqazleR3FE

my advice for a 10k investment?

Buy one of these for 2,500

http://www.energyhomeservice.com/blower_door.jpg

this for 200
http://www.upsforless.com/ProductImages/wattsup/WattsUpPro.jpg

this for 800
http://www.professionalequipment.com/product_images/G499%2Bbacharach-fyrite-tech-analyzer.jpg

and get you a

http://www.badgerladder.com/DBimages/large/80.jpg

and a

http://perrygamsby.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/white-van.jpg

It takes 55 minutes to 2 hours to do an Energy inspection of a house depending on its size, CPS pays 450.00 a house..... do the math.

Koolaid_Man
08-25-2012, 08:16 AM

Hey DPG do you know what college Tyson graduated from...:lol

I will tell you what I tried once...a good friend of mine once crashed his sisters novelty / sex toy party for women only...they kicked him out but it got me to thinking I could host some of these for women who want to teach their men how to fuck...so I bought all kinds of ass and vagina replicas and even a few dildo's for the men who are cucks...I hosted a womens only party and taught them how to show their man how to stroke it properly and sold my products for 30% more than I bought them for. It was a huge success I've conducted at least 3 parties like this so far...and if you really want it to work well you can use yourself as the test case but you have to make sure the women at the party will allow it...and most importantly NO SEX during these parties it's just to educate women...

I'm not worried about you stealing my idea because I don't think any of you have the balls like me to pull it off :lmao

mouse
08-25-2012, 09:54 AM

I'm not worried about you stealing my idea because i don't think any of you have the balls like me to pull it off :lmao

qotd!

Agloco
08-25-2012, 10:17 AM

DPG swinging the hammer :lol

M>S already has a great startup idea doesn't he? I thought this foreskin regeneration thing was going to be big in a few years.

mouse
08-26-2012, 11:13 AM
find a young film producer with at least one successful film under his belt and offer to be an executive producer of his next movie with your 10k investment.

remember you can always be a silent partner of another business.

You can also watch Shark Tank and when Mark Cuban invest in a good idea on the show buy stock in that company.

Heath Ledger
08-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Screen printing.

No way on screen printing. Been there done that, too many shops with automatic presses working for pennies. It's very hard to break through in that industry. Your best bet is find a good printer and go out and get sales but even that is a tough gig its an uber competitive industry.

mouse
08-26-2012, 05:19 PM
No way on screen printing. Been there done that, It's very hard to break through in that industry. its an uber competitive industry.

How about swim suits that change colors when they get wet?

BacktoBasics
08-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Pressure washing is a tough business to really make good money. I thought about adding it to our existing menu of services since I'm already partially equipped but it seems that the real bottom feeders are the ones who have cornered the larger volume accounts in the market.

Same thing with window washing and VCT work.

We started our business for less than 5k but we carried some debt...and still do.

Janitorial is a great business to start on the cheap. We offered it just to help boost the bottom line but its ended up accounting for half our earnings. If you hire right you don't have to handle the bulk of the work. But you have to bid appropriately and you have to be patient when it comes to getting the right accounts.

I will say this. I run a pretty good business and would most certainly like to expand into San Antonio. If anyone is interested in micro managing janitorial accounts in SA I'd be interested in partnering up. We would handle all the basic reference points such as webpage, incoming calls, credit cards, contracts, payroll and insurance. But it would require outbound sales and footwork for the first 6-8 months. There's nothing easy about starting up. But a good regional micro manager can earn a solid 20%-30% and not have to handle the bulk of the labor.

Also if anyone knows someone who has their pest control license but doesn't operate a pest control service or doesn't work in the industry please PM me.

mouse
09-04-2012, 04:26 AM
So any updates?

I hate topics were people will ask for help or advice and never get back to say what they decided like the "I need a name for my softball team" And three pages later and countless names given you never hear back from the OP.

A: you want to know what name the OP finally decided on,
and B:You want to know if one of your suggestions was chosen.

It's like the "should I sign up for the Navy, or Air force?" and a month later they don't tell us they decided to just stay at Walmart.

And who can forget the cooking advice topics?

"does anyone know how to make beans?" after two pages of posters reviling valuable family recipes that have been in the family for generations the OP decided to just order a pizza instead, well gives us an update.
why is that so difficult? unless the topic was just for shits and giggles but even then you can still lie to us.

(the point above wasn't directed to this topic)

Latarian Milton
09-04-2012, 08:56 AM
nothing new imho, u gotta be creative and think of some innovative ideas if you wanna start your own business w/o having sufficient initial fund. people have been doing these shits for years imho.

writing sports blogs doesn't sound a bad idea though and not everyone has such talent and intellect to do such a job. ghostwriters write these shits to entertain people rather than prove themselves smarter than their readers by predicting the right results, in fact they often intentionally predict the exact opposite to what they seriously think. no matter john hollinger or marc stein, they can be "wrong" all the time and make you people laugh, while making good $ themselves because the more wrong they be, the more you want to read their shits. that's why a blogger job might be the nicest one for him, at least much better than being a male nurse imho

CosmicCowboy
09-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Pressure washing is a tough business to really make good money. I thought about adding it to our existing menu of services since I'm already partially equipped but it seems that the real bottom feeders are the ones who have cornered the larger volume accounts in the market.

Same thing with window washing and VCT work.

We started our business for less than 5k but we carried some debt...and still do.

Janitorial is a great business to start on the cheap. We offered it just to help boost the bottom line but its ended up accounting for half our earnings. If you hire right you don't have to handle the bulk of the work. But you have to bid appropriately and you have to be patient when it comes to getting the right accounts.

I will say this. I run a pretty good business and would most certainly like to expand into San Antonio. If anyone is interested in micro managing janitorial accounts in SA I'd be interested in partnering up. We would handle all the basic reference points such as webpage, incoming calls, credit cards, contracts, payroll and insurance. But it would require outbound sales and footwork for the first 6-8 months. There's nothing easy about starting up. But a good regional micro manager can earn a solid 20%-30% and not have to handle the bulk of the labor.

Also if anyone knows someone who has their pest control license but doesn't operate a pest control service or doesn't work in the industry please PM me.

I miss your RV sales rants....:lol

CosmicCowboy
09-04-2012, 12:24 PM
You seem a lot mellower now that you quit that job and got momma out bringin home the bacon, but is she too tired now for you to take her to the boneyard? ...:p: