PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili follows...... BILL MAHER?!

Small Fundamental
08-23-2012, 03:34 AM
http://i.qkme.me/352qp7.jpg

DAF86
08-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Is this the follow up to that "Pop Donating to Obama??" thread?

Small Fundamental
08-23-2012, 05:05 AM
Is this the follow up to that "Pop Donating to Obama??" thread?Nope. I was just creepily reading the list of people he follows and stumbled upon the randomness.

AussieFanKurt
08-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Bill Maher drops a lot of truth bombs so I don't blame him

swaggerjackson
08-23-2012, 08:35 AM
This and the last thread just make me like the Spurs so much more. A professional basketball team that can think!

Halberto
08-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Why are you surprised? It's pretty well known Manu is an atheist and Maher is an outspoken non-believer.

celldweller
08-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Here we go again. Damn, can the regular season start already.

lefty
08-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Manu would have repeated if he believed in God

And he wouldn't be going bald

Warlord23
08-23-2012, 09:08 AM
This and Pop's donation to Obama might just be enough to make TPark quit on the Spurs one more time.

Cane
08-23-2012, 09:20 AM
This and the last thread just make me like the Spurs so much more. A professional basketball team that can think!

Word.

Why are you surprised? It's pretty well known Manu is an atheist and Maher is an outspoken non-believer.

And god damn isn't it beautiful

boutons_deux
08-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Manu isn't American, so he, like a lot of non-Americans, isn't duped and hypnotized by the America-The-Beautiful, self-congratulating, God-Prefers-America myths that Americans believe.

thOOdee
08-23-2012, 12:28 PM

:tu

celldweller
08-23-2012, 02:20 PM

...because you athiest are so enlighted with wisdom! :rolleyes STFU, put on some pants, leave your mom's basement and find a fucking job.

4down
08-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Wrong, it's obvious he belives in himself.

:toast

Juggity
08-23-2012, 02:55 PM
...because you athiest are so enlighted with wisdom! :rolleyes STFU, put on some pants, leave your mom's basement and find a fucking job.

"celldweller" calling out "basement dwellers"?

ohmwrecker
08-23-2012, 06:35 PM
All the atheists I know have jobs, their own homes AND wear pants.

Clipper Nation
08-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Bill Maher drops a lot of truth bombs so I don't blame him

This.... not a fan of his political views for the most part, but he's still very funny, especially when he's dropping truth bombs on the neocons....

Clipper Nation
08-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Well, gee, with such a compelling argument against atheism and for the existence of a god, how can I not just shut up and agree? :lol

celldweller
08-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Well, gee, with such a compelling argument against atheism and for the existence of a god, how can I not just shut up and agree? :lol

:lol Just trying to piss people off for fun!

ohmwrecker
08-23-2012, 07:07 PM
:lol Just trying to piss people off for fun!

If convincing people that you're an idiot = "pissing people off", your have succeeded, bubba.

celldweller
08-23-2012, 07:08 PM
If convincing people that you're an idiot = "pissing people off", your have succeeded, bubba.
Shut the Fuck up! How about that? Bubba.

Kidd K
08-23-2012, 07:34 PM
What's wrong with Bill Maher? He runs an entertaining show. I'd be a lot more disappointed if he was following Bill O'Reilly or some other dick like Rush Limbaugh.

swaggerjackson
08-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Out of respect for the forum I am not going to go further with this discussion, but I do want to point out how funny it is to call an atheist enlightened. And for that I applaud you :toast

davidbowie
08-23-2012, 07:39 PM
g o d i s d e a d lol

underdawg
08-24-2012, 01:26 AM

Why?

Brazil
08-24-2012, 08:47 AM

I am one and I confirm I have a job, a home, I wear pants and underwear

Juggity
08-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Why?

Perhaps because they rely on internal motivation rather than external

underdawg
08-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Perhaps because they rely on internal motivation rather than external

I can dig that (especially true for Christians), but where does the internal motivation for atheists come from?

Brazil
08-24-2012, 01:18 PM
I can dig that (especially true for Christians), but where does the internal motivation for atheists come from?

hum what?

Drachen
08-24-2012, 01:58 PM

The individual, thus: internal.

Brazil
08-24-2012, 03:00 PM

sorry still don't get the question

Viva Las Espuelas
08-24-2012, 04:25 PM
What's wrong with Bill Maher? He runs an entertaining show. I'd be a lot more disappointed if he was following Bill O'Reilly or some other dick like Rush Limbaugh.

:lol
Some other dick

Maher's halloween costume of steve irwin(crocodile hunter) less than 2 months from when he died.
http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/WTF/bill_maher_steve_irwin.jpg

Other dick :lol

ohmwrecker
08-24-2012, 04:38 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that costume.

capek
08-24-2012, 05:07 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that costume.

Except for the fact that it's completely lacking in unfunniness. That would be my only critique. (read: it's pretty fucking funny costume)

kaji157
08-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Atheist here.

I have a job, and a house. Not wearing pants right now. Will be soon.

Spurologist
08-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Hala Atheists!

InRareForm
08-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Why is this news?

DMC
08-24-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm a conservative and I watch Bill. He's funny as hell even if he is a pandering naive Hollywood type.

DMC
08-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Some other dick

Maher's halloween costume of steve irwin(crocodile hunter) less than 2 months from when he died.
http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/WTF/bill_maher_steve_irwin.jpg

Give me a break, Irwin was the biggest douche on the planet and exploited animals for profit. There are so many dipshits like him that people quickly filled the "need to see people fuck with deadly animals" demand.

T Park
08-25-2012, 10:48 PM
my best friend voted for Obama.

I could care less. Nice try.

This and Pop's donation to Obama might just be enough to make TPark quit on the Spurs one more time.

Kidd K
08-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Some other dick

I was including him in the dick category tbh.

Of course, your reply begs the question, when's the cutoff for jokes about a dead person no longer being insensitive? 3 months? 6? 12? multiple years? I'm curious what your personal statute of limitations is on the subject, since two months is too soon for a comedian to joke about someone after they've died.

Sean Cagney
08-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Manu isn't American, so he, like a lot of non-Americans, isn't duped and hypnotized by the America-The-Beautiful, self-congratulating, God-Prefers-America myths that Americans believe.

Yep we have the Americans who do that and the ones who bite the culture here and so on from music etc. and claim they hate it! You have Americans and the haters on it all the time! It goes both ways.

DMC
08-26-2012, 01:57 AM
I was including him in the dick category tbh.

Of course, your reply begs the question, when's the cutoff for jokes about a dead person no longer being insensitive? 3 months? 6? 12? multiple years? I'm curious what your personal statute of limitations is on the subject, since two months is too soon for a comedian to joke about someone after they've died.
No it doesn't. Begging the question is circular reasoning. Perhaps it brings into question.

/pedant

callo1
08-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Give me a break, Irwin was the biggest douche on the planet and exploited animals for profit. There are so many dipshits like him that people quickly filled the "need to see people fuck with deadly animals" demand.

And wearing a costume two months after his death when he has a 7 year old daughter, a 3 year old son and a grieving wife is cool?

Can you explain how he exploited animals for profit?

Did he not bring awareness and funding for wildlife conservation?

Maybe scientist who discovered cures for deadly diseases should not have f*** with deadly bacteria or viruses?

Sure he made some money off of his job, in which he delt with animals, but that is like saying all doctors exploit sick people.

Your comment is utterly assinine.

I have no deep rooted political affiliation whatsoever, but all Maher did by wearing that costume was immoratlize himself as a "douche" to millions on the internet in an effort to "exploit" the public who like completely distasteful humor. You are one of those he exploited, and as he did, you immortalized yourself on the internet in similar fashion. Grats:)

Gagnrath
08-27-2012, 09:43 AM

Just an FYI, Manu Ginobili is American, he was born in Biaha Blanca, Argentina. This makes him very clearly South American. He does have Italian citizenship, as well as Argentinian, but it doesn't change is birth landmass. Why does everyone think that the US gets to claim the term American solely when so many other people and nationalities are also Americans.

underdawg
08-27-2012, 11:20 AM

I should have rephrased my question – generally, what is the motivation for the atheist?

Is your life guided by a desire to do good things? Where does morality come from?

Is your life guided by self preservation? If so, what are your thoughts about the large amount of humans killed each year through abortions (excluding the small percentage of abortions for rape, incest, birth defects and harm to the mother) – they don’t even get the chance you did.

Is your life guided by love (family, friends, etc.)? Where does love come from?

Is your life guided by freedom – the opportunity to seize the day or do whatever you want? You can’t control your heartbeat, disease or cancer – how does that affect your motivation?

Look, I’m not criticizing your beliefs – I truly am interested in how an atheist views life in general and I understand the answers are meant to be generalizations and each circumstance could be different.

underdawg
08-27-2012, 11:20 AM
By the way, I met Maher over 15 years ago while I was bartending on 6th street. He came in by himself and just stood in a corner. I offered him a drink on the house, but he wouldn’t take it – just stood there quiet and by himself. I was shocked by how short he was (can’t remember what show I knew him from but he didn’t seem that short on TV) – maybe just over 5 ft.

I think Maher and Limbaugh are more alike than most will admit – they just come from two different angles, but their playbook is the same – say something that will catch the attention of the opposition and let it linger around for a while. I’d be shocked if their true motivation wasn’t ratings results instead of a belief or cause.

capek
08-27-2012, 02:34 PM
By the way, I met Maher over 15 years ago while I was bartending on 6th street. He came in by himself and just stood in a corner. I offered him a drink on the house, but he wouldn’t take it – just stood there quiet and by himself. I was shocked by how short he was (can’t remember what show I knew him from but he didn’t seem that short on TV) – maybe just over 5 ft.

I think Maher and Limbaugh are more alike than most will admit – they just come from two different angles, but their playbook is the same – say something that will catch the attention of the opposition and let it linger around for a while. I’d be shocked if their true motivation wasn’t ratings results instead of a belief or cause.

It's this kind of stuff that just boggles my mind. It's depressing the extent to which drawing false equivalencies has replaced reasoned thought in this country. Maher is a joke writer, has been for ~30 years, while Limbaugh creates twisted little assertions out of three constituent parts: bull shit, hate, and hubris. The difference in complexity between these two activities is vast, comparable to the difference between somebody building compounds using a chemistry set, and building lumpy little ashtrays out of modeling clay.

To quote the great Mark Jackson, "You're better than that!"

underdawg
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
It's this kind of stuff that just boggles my mind. It's depressing the extent to which drawing false equivalencies has replaced reasoned thought in this country. Maher is a joke writer, has been for ~30 years, while Limbaugh creates twisted little assertions out of three constituent parts: bull shit, hate, and hubris. The difference in complexity between these two activities is vast, comparable to the difference between somebody building compounds using a chemistry set, and building lumpy little ashtrays out of modeling clay.

To quote the great Mark Jackson, "You're better than that!"

Sorry, but Maher is a more of a talk show host than a comedian whether you like that or not. It’s called Real Time with Bill Maher not Funny Time with Bill Maher. :toast

Your hate for Limbaugh doesn’t change the relevance of the comparison and the tactics you described can be attributed to Maher as well.

capek
08-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Atheist here. Being an atheist isn't really a big deal. It doesn't really require a lot of justification or explanation. Think of it like this: A Christian, for example, probably doesn't spend a whole lot of time, if any, thinking up justifications or arguments for why he's an atheist about Roman gods, or Hindu gods, etc. The issue is probably closed to him; he's come to a conclusion, and that's that. It's the same with an atheist, you'd just add the Christian god to that list.

So all those questions you ask don't really fall into the scope of what is determined by a person's atheistic view of life. And atheist would be very likely to agree that all that exists (that is of immediate relevance to our species), is this planet, and the life it contains.

So if an atheist cares about doing good things, he'd find both motivation and an outlet for that intention in what exists: this planet, it's environment, it's inhabitants, and the cares and needs of other humans. That's also the grounds in which such a person would seek and give love. Self-preservation is a given, a fact of life. Motivation, in whatever form, comes from being alive; a concretized belief system is not required. In fact, speaking as an atheist, when you take seriously the task of unmaking formerly concrete beliefs (ie "I have believed that the Christian god exists for so long, and with so much faith, that his existence is now a part of what I take to be concrete reality," ), returning them to abstract beliefs, and then examining their value against other, competing notions (like for instance how would life look and feel if I were to have no concrete beliefs), you realize that all that is lost is those concrete beliefs (which was the intention in the first place), and, often times, everything else just "falls into place."

I should have rephrased my question – generally, what is the motivation for the atheist?

Is your life guided by a desire to do good things? Where does morality come from?

Is your life guided by self preservation? If so, what are your thoughts about the large amount of humans killed each year through abortions (excluding the small percentage of abortions for rape, incest, birth defects and harm to the mother) – they don’t even get the chance you did.

Is your life guided by love (family, friends, etc.)? Where does love come from?

Is your life guided by freedom – the opportunity to seize the day or do whatever you want? You can’t control your heartbeat, disease or cancer – how does that affect your motivation?

Look, I’m not criticizing your beliefs – I truly am interested in how an atheist views life in general and I understand the answers are meant to be generalizations and each circumstance could be different.

capek
08-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Sorry, but Maher is a more of a talk show host than a comedian whether you like that or not. It’s called Real Time with Bill Maher not Funny Time with Bill Maher. :toast

Your hate for Limbaugh doesn’t change the relevance of the comparison and the tactics you described can be attributed to Maher as well.

Maher has been working as a touring comedian his whole career. He's a comedian with a TV show. There's nothing to argue there, it's trivially true.

And everybody should hate Limbaugh. Him, and his ilk, are a cancer on the taint of America.

But I don't care about enlarging your box; enjoy its confines. :toast

underdawg
08-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Maher has been working as a touring comedian his whole career. He's a comedian with a TV show. There's nothing to argue there, it's trivially true.

And everybody should hate Limbaugh. Him, and his ilk, are a cancer on the taint of America.

But I don't care about enlarging your box; enjoy its confines. :toast

I’m the one in the box – that’s funny.

Just because Maher does stand up does it give him the right to spread his hateful speech without accountability? So, you’re saying he’s just joking and doesn’t really mean what he says? True his shtick is political satire, but he rarely backs down from some of the very hateful things he says.

He seemed to put his money where his mouth was when he contributed a $mil to President Obama’s campaign and seems pretty serious about PETA since he’s on their board of directors.

underdawg
08-27-2012, 03:34 PM
So all those questions you ask don't really fall into the scope of what is determined by a person's atheistic view of life. And atheist would be very likely to agree that all that exists (that is of immediate relevance to our species), is this planet, and the life it contains.

Not sure I understand you - are saying that for the most part you believe that most atheists believe in love and morality?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-27-2012, 08:47 PM

Glad you said it, not me. :oops

This is another thread, like the Obama one, that I'm staying out of... other than this post! :lmao

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Not sure I understand you - are saying that for the most part you believe that most atheists believe in love and morality?

Um, why wouldn't they? Secular moral values are just as well grounded as religious values. In fact, religion-based values are often motivated by fear or compunction (ie. you won't get into Heaven if you're not a good boy), but secular values are motivated by reason (ie. let's be decent to each other because it's the right thing to do and leads to greater social harmony and individual happiness).

PS Oh, and this post... but I'm leaving now and not looking back!

Drz
08-27-2012, 08:59 PM
My favorite part of Religulous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx9WMbCljdo

Definitely worth watching for all people, Christian or not.

underdawg
08-28-2012, 02:12 AM
My favorite part of Religulous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx9WMbCljdo

Definitely worth watching for all people, Christian or not.

I haven’t watched all of Maher’s film, but I watched the clip and was curious as to why there was emphasis on December 25th, since most Christians seem to agree that Christ probably wasn’t born on December 25th.

I did some quick research and it seems that Maher’s info on Horus is a little bit farfetched:
http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/articles/zeitgeist/part-one/

After reading the section on Horus, I really don’t see the parallels. If you have credible evidence to the contrary, I’d be interested in hearing about it.

underdawg
08-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Um, why wouldn't they? Secular moral values are just as well grounded as religious values. In fact, religion-based values are often motivated by fear or compunction (ie. you won't get into Heaven if you're not a good boy), but secular values are motivated by reason (ie. let's be decent to each other because it's the right thing to do and leads to greater social harmony and individual happiness).

PS Oh, and this post... but I'm leaving now and not looking back!

fair enough, but where does good and evil come from? Is it just in our heads or do they really exist?

For the record, Christian's motivation is based on a mutual love for their God - fear and compunction are really not good motivators as compared to faith and trust.

Drz
08-28-2012, 12:04 PM
After reading the section on Horus, I really don’t see the parallels. If you have credible evidence to the contrary, I’d be interested in hearing about it.
Wow -- no, no credible evidence. I had heard the Horus/Jesus parallels many times before, but had no knowledge that they might not be true. It's one of those things where once you hear it enough times from enough "sources," you just kind of accept it at true.

Thanks for the knowledge drop. :toast