PDA

View Full Version : Jackson wouldn't mind retiring with the Spurs..

TrueSpursFan
08-23-2012, 12:11 PM
(Question): How much longer do you envision playing?

(Answer, Stephen Jackson): I don’t know. If things work out in San Antonio I wouldn’t mind finishing my career there. But you know it’s a business and I’m one of those guys that doesn’t mind going to play somewhere else. I’ve been on seven different teams.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Stephen-Jackson-talks-rap-and-basketball-3807776.php

lefty
08-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

OMG I love him so much :cry

SenorSpur
08-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Much better him retiring as a Spur than Bonner.

Duncan2177
08-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Much better him retiring as a Spur than Bonner.

:tu

elemento
08-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Depending on how much money he wants to stay in SA, I'd love him to stay and retire as a Spur.

Bruno
08-23-2012, 03:43 PM
It sounds like he will follow the money. Given what happened in the past, I don't expect Jack to give Spurs some kind of discount.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-23-2012, 09:33 PM
It sounds like he will follow the money. Given what happened in the past, I don't expect Jack to give Spurs some kind of discount.

Em-City
08-23-2012, 09:38 PM
i don't think he'll get a choice with that big-ass final year figure he's owed, it's more likely we'll ship him as an expiring. having said that, I'd love him to stick around 1 more year after his contract for sentimental reasons.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-23-2012, 09:47 PM
i don't think he'll get a choice with that big-ass final year figure he's owed, it's more likely we'll ship him as an expiring. having said that, I'd love him to stick around 1 more year after his contract for sentimental reasons.

They're not going to trade him. He'll either re-sign or walk next summer. You don't trade your most clutch playoff performer in February.

Knoxxx
08-23-2012, 10:26 PM
I'd like to see him a Manu stick around at reasonable salaries for 2-3 years after next, would be great for both to retire as Spurs. Reasonable to me is no more than $5 million per.

Kidd K
08-24-2012, 12:23 AM
As long as we don't continue to overpay for him like we are now, and as long as he doesn't mind backing up the blossoming Leonard, then sure. . .I wouldn't mind keeping him until retirement.

George Gervin's Afro
08-24-2012, 08:08 AM
keep him away from the lakers and heat.. that should be our goal

elemento
08-24-2012, 08:22 AM
The situation is totally different from 10 years ago when SA tried to keep him and he left for money.

Right now, I don't think he has any leverage. Teams that had him in the past don't want any part of him a see him as a cancer and teams competing for the title that could use him have no money. I really don't see any team outside the Spurs willing to give him more than the min once his contract expires.

racm
08-24-2012, 08:33 AM
The situation is totally different from 10 years ago when SA tried to keep him and he left for money.

Right now, I don't think he has any leverage. Teams that had him in the past don't want any part of him a see him as a cancer and teams competing for the title that could use him have no money. I really don't see any team outside the Spurs willing to give him more than the min once his contract expires.

And most contenders are set at the 3.

Miami = LeBron/Battier/Rashard for next year.
LA = MWP/Ebanks/Jamison, even if this is their weakest position.
OKC = Durant can play for 48 minutes lol
Boston = Pierce/Green :lmao

Brazil
08-24-2012, 08:35 AM
for the right price I wouldn't mind either

cd98
08-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I see him getting traded as an expiring contract given his salary and age and one year left. He could fetch the Spurs something good. That said, not opposed to him re-signing the following year.

Fabbs
08-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Fantastic playoff performance.
Better cut him.:pop:

SenorSpur
08-24-2012, 10:09 AM
With all the effort the Spurs made in that unexpected trade that shipped out RJ, the other surprising element of that trade was hearing Pop and RC admit just how much they had long desired reacquiring Jack back during all the years he was gone.

That said, I would assume the Spurs would want to keep him for the long haul, unless some irresistable deal comes forth that would require the Spurs to utilize his expiring contract. Outside of that, I can easily see him finishing his career as a Spur. And I hope he does. He proved last year that he's still got the talent and the moxie.

trollt
08-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Dang SenorSpur great post, verbalized what I was thinking.
I remember him outperforming Tony & Manu for stretches when the chips were down.

SenorSpur
08-24-2012, 02:32 PM
I remember him outperforming Tony & Manu for stretches when the chips were down.

It's almost as though Jack picked up RIGHT where he left off from the Spurs 2003 Championship run. NOTHING had changed with him. He was still nailing big time 3's. He was aggressive, he was cocky and he was nasty. All the things that endeared Jack to the masses was still very apparent in the playoffs, particularly the OKC series. And the best part, now he's even developed his leadership skills.

He was the one guy that continued to deliver. How could Pop and RC NOT want him to be part of their immediate future.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-24-2012, 06:42 PM
I see him getting traded as an expiring contract given his salary and age and one year left. He could fetch the Spurs something good. That said, not opposed to him re-signing the following year.

They're not going to trade him. He'll either re-sign or walk next summer. You don't trade your most clutch playoff performer in February.

Bruno
08-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Talking on whether or not Jack should be a Spur after this season is premature to me. Even if I love him as a player and he has been great in the playoffs aside of the series against Jazz, he isn't getting younger. Jack will be 36 years old for the 2013-2014 playoffs. It's far from sure that he will still be able to play at a high level at that age.

We will see what he will do this season but if he start to show some signs of aging, I can very well see Spurs letting him go to sign a younger player.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-27-2012, 08:58 PM
I'd love Jax to stay for the right money. Maybe we can get him to sign one year contracts from here on in? That way he could keep playing here and we could fit him into the salary cap without long-term ramifications. Who knows?

I doubt any other team will throw much money at him given that he's old and has mostly lost the ability to create his own shot.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Talking on whether or not Jack should be a Spur after this season is premature to me. Even if I love him as a player and he has been great in the playoffs aside of the series against Jazz, he isn't getting younger. Jack will be 36 years old for the 2013-2014 playoffs. It's far from sure that he will still be able to play at a high level at that age.

We will see what he will do this season but if he start to show some signs of aging, I can very well see Spurs letting him go to sign a younger player.

Jack is like the Duncan of guards. He's never been overly quick or athletic. He's physical and he's a knockdown, cold blooded, clutch shooter. Those qualities age well.

Kidd K
08-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Fantastic playoff performance.
Better cut him.:pop:
Tbh, Jackson was mediocre all season for us until the last 4 games of the OKC series where he was good. He had a few halfway decent games thrown in, sure. . .but overall he was basically just mediocre besides the last half of the OKC series.

More than I can say about Bonner though. Who the fuck knows why he's still on the team. Wouldn't mind keeping Jackson for Bonner's salary.

lefty
08-28-2012, 12:50 AM

You cant verbalize what you think ?

We need more Stay at School TV spots from the NBA

Nathan89
08-28-2012, 02:34 AM
Capt Jack wants to go down with ship.:cry

Fabbs
08-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Upon 1st seeing threat title i thought Phil J for some reason would consider the Spurs. :toast

Much as i like SJax :depressed

Wild Cobra Kai
08-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Upon 1st seeing threat title i thought Phil J for some reason would consider the Spurs. :toast

Much as i like SJax :depressed

You don't know the way Phil J selects jobs at all, do you?

Wild Cobra Kai
08-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Tbh, Jackson was mediocre all season for us until the last 4 games of the OKC series where he was good. He had a few halfway decent games thrown in, sure. . .but overall he was basically just mediocre besides the last half of the OKC series.

More than I can say about Bonner though. Who the fuck knows why he's still on the team. Wouldn't mind keeping Jackson for Bonner's salary.

That's...Jack. Like Horry, he's more or less a drag on your team for most of the season, but when the playoffs roll around, he's money. He was also horribly out of shape when he got here from being benched in Milwaukee, and Pop was basically using game time to play him back INTO shape, since there were almost no practices in the shortened season.

Knoxxx
08-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I shudder to think what some of those OKC losses without Jack being one of the few Spurs to sack up, and it was an epic display of sheer nads.

After next season, unless he just falls off a cliff, Jack must come back!