PDA

View Full Version : A rumor you guys are after Patrick Patterson (Edit: Old Rumor)

DaDakota
08-23-2012, 12:34 PM
There is a rumor floating around that the Spurs are trying to trade for Patrick Patterson.

He is a nice PF, never will be a stud, but is a very good complimentary piece, who plays good defense, has a very good midrange shot, but really his post game needs a lot of work.

The Rockets (my team) are going straight rebuild, and we have about 8 PFs on the roster (yeah, I don't get it either).

Whom would you give up? I have to think the Rox would want unguaranteed contracts and future picks.

DD

lefty
08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Bonnerbonnerbonnerbonerbonnerbonnerbonnerbonnerbon nerbonner

8FOR!3
08-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Gary Neal and Blair/Bonner + a 2nd rounder's all I would give up. Plus, Neal would be the perfect Kevin Martin backup. Those are really the only three players ya'll are realistically going to get from us.

CGD
08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Other than the Hoophype comments section, has any other source had rumblings about this trade idea?

TheCerebral1
08-23-2012, 01:52 PM
He'd be a great target to add youth and rebounding. I'm not sure what they'd be looking for. Neal or Blair would be fine by me. Realistically, they wouldn't touch Bonner.

Maddog
08-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Other than the Hoophype comments section, has any other source had rumblings about this trade idea?

Not the most reliable of sources

CGD
08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I have no idea what the Rockets are doing right now. In a way they are just killing their trade leverage in these trades the longer their roster stands at 369 players. They almost HAVE to take back non-guaranteed deals.

elemento
08-23-2012, 02:53 PM
The rumor is around Blair and Neal and a 3rd team would be involved. Byars was involved as well (because he was not guaranteed) but he was waived yesterday.

I don't think SA would give up more than that. And they shouldn't. If The Rockets wants more than that, then have fun with 8 PFs in the roster.

TDMVPDPOY
08-23-2012, 03:12 PM
lol trading our smalls for their load of shit small bigs...

ace3g
08-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Just remember if the trade were to happen, at the earliest would happen after Aug 27th because of a clause in Livingston's contract (part of the rumored trade).

Bruno
08-23-2012, 03:40 PM
This rumor has been reported here for 10 days:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202184&page=3

I'm very skeptical about it. Someone pop up on a forum to post it as his first post. It's always possible that this guy is legit but it's likely someone trolling with no truth at all behind that rumor.

DPG21920
08-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I agree Bruno, but what a random way to troll. Think of a low-key trade that works financially (or is close enough where it easily works based on the known parts) for realtive low-end players? Its likely made up, but what a random way to go about making something up.

Even if it does not happen, does not mean the rumor is not true. Sometimes things are discussed, but never materialize for various reasons.

Bruno
08-23-2012, 06:16 PM
I agree Bruno, but what a random way to troll. Think of a low-key trade that works financially (or is close enough where it easily works based on the known parts) for realtive low-end players?

I've seen stranger things on the www. For example, people faking writing a bad English to pretend they were foreigners.

The trade with Toronto doesn't work at all financially wise. Raptors are over the cap and don't have a trade exception. They cant take Blair and Bonner's contract without sending salaries. It also doesn't make sense at all for them to add two PFs while they are loaded at that position.

DaDakota
08-24-2012, 12:40 AM
This rumor has been reported here for 10 days:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202184&page=3

I'm very skeptical about it. Someone pop up on a forum to post it as his first post. It's always possible that this guy is legit but it's likely someone trolling with no truth at all behind that rumor.

Woah, I am not saying I have any sources, I just heard it from some friends etc, and figured I would talk about it here with Spurs fans, and it is hardly my first post.

And I did look for it before posting, but admitadly do not come here every day etc used to post a bit in the NBA forum, but uh.....not so much fun in there...for serious BBall discusion with mature people.

Patterson would be a decent player for you guys, better than Blair...we don't really need any of the guys on your team as we are going really young, but I guess Neal would be ok.....and maybe a future pick from a 3rd team.

I just found it interesting, and I doubt we have any interest in Blair or Bonner....at least I hope not.

DD

ace3g
08-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Woah, I am not saying I have any sources, I just heard it from some friends etc, and figured I would talk about it here with Spurs fans, and it is hardly my first post.

And I did look for it before posting, but admitadly do not come here every day etc used to post a bit in the NBA forum, but uh.....not so much fun in there...for serious BBall discusion with mature people.

Patterson would be a decent player for you guys, better than Blair...we don't really need any of the guys on your team as we are going really young, but I guess Neal would be ok.....and maybe a future pick from a 3rd team.

I just found it interesting, and I doubt we have any interest in Blair or Bonner....at least I hope not.

DD

Bruno was talking about the OP at hoopshype, it was his first post.

Bruno
08-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Yeah, my post wasn't a criticism directed at you, DaDakota. Sorry you took it that way.

I was just saying that this rumor has been floated for days and that the original source reliability is questionable. So, I'm skeptical about that even more that some part of it doesn't work salary wise or basketball wise.

Regarding the question, "what would you give up for Patterson?" , I would give up whatever other teams want among Blair, Neal, Bonner, 2nd round picks, cash, right to some Euro players like Hanga. I wouldn't give up a first round pick because if getting Paterson cost that much, I would rather give a try to Blatche.

DaDakota
08-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Gotcha about the Hoopshype guy, I don't go there, but maybe my friends do..dunno.

And I agree about Blatche, Pop works wonders, and the guy has talent, just a bad attitude, but how much of that is playing for a crappy org and how much is just him is debatable.

DD

SenorSpur
08-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Gotcha about the Hoopshype guy, I don't go there, but maybe my friends do..dunno.

And I agree about Blatche, Pop works wonders, and the guy has talent, just a bad attitude, but how much of that is playing for a crappy org and how much is just him is debatable.

DD

If you hear any more tidbits about this rumor, in Rockets circles, do keep us apprised.

DaDakota
08-24-2012, 11:45 AM
If you hear any more tidbits about this rumor, in Rockets circles, do keep us apprised.

No problem, we probably owe you guys one for Scola anyway.

DD

kaji157
08-24-2012, 08:31 PM
No problem, we probably owe you guys one for Scola anyway.

DD

I´m Seth there, given how the Rox are constructed i´m not sure they are targeting any Spurs player other than maybe Cory Joseph + First rounder.
The Spurs have only PF and SG to give to Houston, both positions are well covered over there.

xmas1997
08-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Ok, it's the 27th and nothing has happened.
Seems this is just another silly rumor.

G-Dawgg
08-27-2012, 10:53 AM
A Patterson and Blatche offseason would bring us #5....

DPG21920
08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Xmas - nothing could happen (per the rumor) until at least the 27th. That does not mean it was going to happen on the 27th. It's likely a made up rumor, but the fact nothing has happened by 10:00 on the first day a trade could get done (per the rumor because of players involved) does not dismiss this trade completely.

TMT®
08-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Enough of these 6'9 and under bigs already. Get Blatche and call it a summer.

SenorSpur
08-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Can someone remind me as to why there was an 8/27 stipulation on this supposed trade?

ace3g
08-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Can someone remind me as to why there was an 8/27 stipulation on this supposed trade?

From OP on Hoops Hype:

I can also tell you that this trade will not go down till after 8/27 becuase of some type of clause in contract of another Rocket player involved.

I did some research on this thread: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6075147#post6075147

Based on ESPN trade machine:

Shaun Livingston trade restriction ends Aug 27th? Same for Jon Brockman.

Royce White and Jeremy Lamb restriction ends Aug 26th, but I doubt Rockets trade them.

So some of the details from the post do line up... I guess we will have to wait and see.

I'd easily take a PF/C roster of: Timmy, Diaw, Splitter, Patterson, and Blatche? over Bonner/Blair.

Later on OP updated that the player involved was Livingston:

Closest trade to being agreed upon by all parties involves SA sending Gary Neal and an unguaranteed contract to HOU, Dejuan Blair and Matt Bonner go to Toronto, and Patrick Patterson & Shuan Livingston to SA. Issues with this trade center around draft picks and/or player rights.

He also mentioned a simpler trade that could happen:

Source says possibility of simpler trade being done which sends PAtterson to SA, Blair to TOR, Neal & unguarnteed to HOU along with some fillers (picks/rights to TOR and HOU)

Wild Cobra Kai
08-27-2012, 08:03 PM
We have no more unguaranteed contracts besides Neal and Blair, something that apparently is needed for this trade to happen.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-27-2012, 08:25 PM
I know Livingston is involved in the rumours, but he'd have to go to a 3rd team as Patty surely must have the backup PG role sewn up.

If you could only take one, who'd you rather gamble on, Patterson or Blatche?

The more I think about it, the more I feel like Pop and Tim could turn Blatche's head around and make him a real player. They did it for Jax, they can do it for Blatche. Then again, some guys are beyond saving.

OTOH, Patterson would be a very decent bench big, and although he's undersized, he does have explosive athleticism, something we sorely lack. He also has a very nice 15fter which would work well with Splitter who can then play exclusively inside.

Actually, I like either of those guys for the 5th big. Then, get someone to take Bonner's contract and bring in Tolliver as the stretch 4 and we'd have had an excellent offseason re-tooling on the fly once again!

swaggerjackson
10-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Any chance this is revisited now that the preseason is almost over and none of our invites seemed to work out (except Curry)?

timtonymanu
10-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Either the trade completely fell through or the "source" had nothing better to do so he just made this up.

I don't think this needs revisiting.

spurs_2108
10-23-2012, 11:17 PM
I was reading this thinking that the thread was started today. Haha.

jdiggy0424
10-23-2012, 11:57 PM
No point in speculating on potential trades. Most of them never fall through.