PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast Fishing/Deep Sea Fishing

MannyIsGod
06-25-2005, 12:43 AM
I am interested in taking a trip out on a charter to do some deep sea fishing. Now, I know jack shit about deep sea fishing, and I'd like to go mainly to come back with a good amount of fish for the price.

Has anyone here taken a trip? If so, what companies do you recommend and what should I expect? Thanks!

herbivore female
06-25-2005, 12:49 AM
You will lose money if you are hoping to profit from the amount of money you will save eating the fish.

Sad but true.

Guru of Nothing
06-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Laker's forum.

Vashner
06-25-2005, 12:56 AM
I go all the time..
Get a prescription motion sickness patch and follow the directions.
http://www.deepseaheadquarters.com

I take the 8 and 12 hour trips... right now Snapper is uber..
It's hard to endure the trips and you will kiss land when you get back but it's
a hell of an adventure...

MannyIsGod
06-25-2005, 01:02 AM
I go all the time..
Get a prescription motion sickness patch and follow the directions.
http://www.deepseaheadquarters.com

I take the 8 and 12 hour trips... right now Snapper is uber..
It's hard to endure the trips and you will kiss land when you get back but it's
a hell of an adventure...
How much should I know about fishing?

Vashner
06-25-2005, 01:02 AM
You will lose money if you are hoping to profit from the amount of money you will save eating the fish.

Sad but true.

I'll mostly agree to this.. but if you take the 8-12 hour or longer trip you'll catch something. Last time they made me throw back 2 Amberjack because they where 1 inch short each... go figure.

But I have sometimes catch a good amount of King and Snapper. That place I linked is very reputable I been fishing with them for a long time. Also check the weather reports for swells.. try to get 3 foot or less. I have been on 5-6 foot trips and it's harder to walk around and more puke going on.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
06-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Deep sea HQ is good, if you've never been take dramimine (SP) 24 hours before or you'll chum the entire trip and it will be the longest nine hours of your life. If you do chum eat lots of doritoes, the fish love that shit and you'll be everyones hero on the boat.

MannyIsGod
06-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Deep sea HQ is good, if you've never been take dramimine (SP) 24 hours before or you'll chum the entire trip and it will be the longest nine hours of your life. If you do chum eat lots of doritoes, the fish love that shit and you'll be everyones hero on the boat.
:lol

Thats freaking hillarious.

Vashner
06-25-2005, 01:06 AM
How much should I know about fishing?

Ok what's kewl about them is it's rod bait and ice. They will have rod there. And a bucket of bait. Take a rag and the sea sick medication. Then you slap the bait on hook and lower it till it drops. Or other directions the staff will give you. The will also help you unhook and if keeper put in a basket. You will get a number with a stringer.

You don't need to know how to fish.. just how to puke and have a good time.
:)
The fight can rip your arm off hahah jk but yea the only way to fish is deep sea and we have some of the worlds best right off port A.

The ride out is about 3 hours. .then you fish. then move etc.. till they come back.

10+ miles out is Federal Waters .. no license..
Short trips = license requirement.

MannyIsGod
06-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Ok what's kewl about them is it's rod bait and ice. They will have rod there. And a bucket of bait. Take a rag and the sea sick medication. Then you slap the bait on hook and lower it till it drops. Or other directions the staff will give you. The will also help you unhook and if keeper put in a basket. You will get a number with a stringer.

You don't need to know how to fish.. just how to puke and have a good time.
The fight can rip your arm off hahah jk but yea the only way to fish is deep sea and we have some of the worlds best right off port A.

The ride out is about 3 hours. .then you fish. then move etc.. till they come back.

10+ miles out is Federal Waters .. no license..
Short trips = license requirement.
Thats pretty awesome! I was thinking about at least an 8 hour trip, but if you have had more success on the 12 hour trip then I would definetly look into that.

What do you usually catch and what are the amounts?

Vashner
06-25-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm game for a trip but not till maybe Late July or Aug.. which can get like Gilligans Island with storms ... I normally only puke once every couple years. Don't eat a big meal.. I had sausage biscut piece come out my nose earlier this year hahaha. It sucked but I was laughing my ass off..

There are some others at port A that offer the charters as well. Warfcat and Scatcat are catamarans but I almost fucking died on scat cat in an accident once we hit a rogue wave....

But that's another story .. :)

Tres_Till_it_MHz
06-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Oh yeah don't forget to tip the deckhands at the begining of the trip, they can make it a great trip or one you'd like to forget. The deckhands are the guys who make sure you get going with all your tackle and bait and most importantly the good reels. It can be a little pricey but its also alot if fun if you get hooked up on some fish. Whatever you do don't keep any sharks.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
06-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Didnt the scatcat or wharf cat sink at one time? I think the are from Dolphin Express not sure though.

Vashner
06-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Here is a picture of trip this April on Pelican .. PERFECT weather and smooth seas..
http://home.satx.rr.com/krograth/images/fishing02.jpg

Vashner
06-25-2005, 01:20 AM
Didnt the scatcat or wharf cat sink at one time? I think the are from Dolphin Express not sure though.

I don't know if it was the time I was on it but the sealed hulls saved us. The wave went over the top of the boat, blew out the windows and cavitated to the rear. The water was waist deep after that. I was ready for the coast guard chopper ride.. but we didn't sink... lol.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
06-25-2005, 01:25 AM
Damn thats freakin insane how many miles where yall out? That is why I stick to the beach.

Vashner
06-25-2005, 01:39 AM
Hard to tell how far out. They had just finished fishing and everyone caught limits of snapper. It was islolated T-Storms and choppy. Well we where headed back at full speed. Must of been at least 30-50 miles out.

T Park
06-25-2005, 02:01 AM
deep sea fishing is a blast manny, i havent gone since i was about 14 but, its an aboslute blast.

Some cold adult beverages, nice salty breeze, beautifull weather.

The quiet of the sea.

Ah man its amazing, youll feel so relaxed when you get back, youll be refereshed for weeks.

AlamoSpursFan
06-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Deep Sea fishing kicks all kinds of ass, Manny!

And you don't have to know jack about it. Hell the deck hands will even bait your hook if you want them to. And there's a nifty little fish cleaning service when you get back.

We used to go to Dolphin Docks. I haven't been to Port A recently, but I assume they're still in business.

Dramamine works wonders if you don't want to go the patch route. I highly recommend it.

Oh and I also highly recommend Trout Street Bar and Grille in Port A, and Snoopys in CC (first exit after you cross the JFK causeway, turn right). Excellent grindage at both establishments.

Damn, I want to go Coastin' now...

AlamoSpursFan
06-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Also, check to see if the Captain allows sharks to be caught. For some reason the Captain on one of our trips didn't want any sharks on his boat, so the deck hands cut the line every time we hooked one. That sucked immensely. My friend Mikey caught a nice hammerhead and they pulled it out of the water so we could see it and then SNIP! What a pisser!

AlamoSpursFan
06-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Hey, just a thought, but most of those Deep Sea boats offer group discounts...

FSP Gone Fishin' Deep Sea Excursion 2005?

ShoogarBear
06-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Kenny Smith can probably give you some good recommendations . . .

MannyIsGod
06-25-2005, 10:10 AM

That would be pretty awesome.

Vashner
06-25-2005, 10:36 AM
There is also Texas Charter Fleet. You can rent one for group to do deep or bay.
Bay is about 300-600 a day and Deep 700-2000 a day. Average about 900 bucks for a 8 hour trip with a group of 4-6 fisherman.

The bigger ones like Deep Sea HQ, Dolphin Docks etc are cheaper 50-60-80 buck trips per person.

If you guys can scrape up enough people I'll go in on a charter 4 sure :) If it's just a few people then best to just go out with the cattle boat. They ride smoother than most smaller charter's anyway cause they are longer.

N.Y. Johnny
06-25-2005, 10:37 AM

I'd be down for that!

This all looks and sounds like a blast, my luck i'd have something like that scene from "A Perfect Storm" happen to me, where that damn shark washes onto the boat and takes a bite out of me! :lol

SequSpur
06-25-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm in as long as its tied to a weekend.

E20
06-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Damn, Manny is interested in everything deep sea fishing, Hinduism studying earthquakes, different sex postions.........the list goes on

MannyIsGod
06-25-2005, 11:24 AM

MannyIsGod
06-29-2005, 10:16 AM
:lol @ the sex positions edit.

Anyhow, we're probably going to go sometime late July early August. We're thinking a weeekend trip (Saturday) but probably a night trip to avoid the large crowds on the boats this time of year. Do you guys prefer night or day?

Also, if we could get about 10 people together to go, I think we'd be able to get a group discount.

How many are in for sure?

Jekka
Me

?

King
06-29-2005, 10:25 AM
I've been twice. Once was great, and once was freaking awful. It depends on the choppiness of the water. The second time I went, the boat rocked the entire time, and about 30 people on the boat got sea sick. It makes it the longest trip of your life. When it's great, it's really great. You don't need to know anything about fishing to do it. The deckhands will help you with everything you need.

In the Gulf, you have to go out pretty far to get into deep enough water. It's like an hour ride out. I'm going in August in Hawaii, which is supposedly like a ten minute trek, just because it drops off - being that it's a huge island.

Get ready to fight fish, though. I had one that pulled me around the boat, and fought it for about twenty minutes. It drains you.

You'll have a good time.

SpursWoman
06-29-2005, 10:27 AM

I don't think even Dramamine would help me on this one... :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit

Samurai Jane
06-29-2005, 10:53 AM
I've been wanting to go fishing for a long time.. I tried to talk my hubby into it last time we went to SPI, but no luck. I don't eat fish but I'd be willing to pass my catch to somebody.

travis2
06-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I'd be willing to pass my catch to somebody.

Does hubby know you feel this way? :wow

Samurai Jane
06-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Does hubby know you feel this way? :wow

Of course he does! :p

travis2
06-29-2005, 11:38 AM
And he approves??? :wow

I know if my wife thought I'd be passing her off to anybody I'd be gutted and filleted...:angel

MannyIsGod
06-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Bueller? Bueller?

Guru of Nothing
06-29-2005, 11:48 PM
Pencil me in lightly. The closer to my locale, the better my chances of making it.

Corpus is out of the question; Port Arthur is good; Louisiana is even better.

I'm on the verge of winning the half-way pot in my NASCAR fantasy league ($435 - I'm 1st place out of 87 $25 players), so I may have a few extra bones to spend.

lil'mo
06-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Manny, if you don't have you heart set on deep sea then you can find some really really kick as guides that will take you to some great spots around the bay area. Fishing closer in, you'll mainly catch red fish and trout which are abundant, plus the limit is like 10 per person.
Also you're less likely to encounter sea-sickness from anyone , deep sea REALLY rocks you, closer to shore is much more tolerable for those who arent used to it.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2005, 12:54 AM
No thanks, done the bay fishing thing. I caught more Reds in the boat channel at Rockport than in Copano Bay. I'm really looking forward to a shot at some larger fish. Thanks though.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2005, 12:57 AM
Pencil me in lightly. The closer to my locale, the better my chances of making it.

Corpus is out of the question; Port Arthur is good; Louisiana is even better.

I'm on the verge of winning the half-way pot in my NASCAR fantasy league ($435 - I'm 1st place out of 87 $25 players), so I may have a few extra bones to spend.
Cool! It's probably going to be either Port A or Galveston. Those are the places I've been checking out.

SequSpur
07-01-2005, 09:34 PM
So wtf? When are we going?

tw05baller
07-01-2005, 10:01 PM
No thanks, done the bay fishing thing. I caught more Reds in the boat channel at Rockport than in Copano Bay. I'm really looking forward to a shot at some larger fish. Thanks though.

which boat channel i am goin to rockport on monday

Mijo
07-01-2005, 10:04 PM
I went two weeks ago with G&S Marine out of Port A. 5' swells! Makes for a rough trip even with scopolamine. If you suffer from motion sickness don't even bother with dramamine.

G&S Marine takes out a 48' boat and it runs around $1500.00 for 12 people (that's the max) for 8 hours.