PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Outside Empire State Building in New York City

Th'Pusher
08-24-2012, 09:00 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/people-shot-empire-state-building-17072093#.UDeIoallSPw

blkroadrunners
08-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Reports saying the shooter used a sawed-off shotgun. Holy shit.

Th'Pusher
08-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Shooting indiscriminately.

boutons_deux
08-24-2012, 09:09 AM
cool, America needs a mass, random shooting every week or so.

It's An American Thing.

Can't fall out of character.

AussieFanKurt
08-24-2012, 09:11 AM

It's An American Thing.

I hope you're American saying that because I made the mistake of saying this once and I was made out to be an imbecile. I guess it's not right for an outsider to comment

Th'Pusher
08-24-2012, 09:11 AM

It's An American Thing.

They keep this up and we may actually have to have a serious discussion about gun control :lol

Latarian Milton
08-24-2012, 09:16 AM
they all protesting against the proposed nationwide prohibition of guns imho

Th'Pusher
08-24-2012, 09:27 AM
they all protesting against the proposed nationwide prohibition of guns imho

Wow. What fringe leftest group is proposing that?

Winehole23
08-24-2012, 10:21 AM
I hope you're American saying that because I made the mistake of saying this once and I was made out to be an imbecile. I guess it's not right for an outsider to commentit's a free internet. post whatever you want, but others can do the same.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Inb4 the birthers tell us this is a government conspiracy to take away our guns!

boutons_deux
08-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Men accused of plotting Columbine-like attack at Alamo Heights High

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Men-accused-of-plotting-Columbine-like-attack-at-3812437.php

Th'Pusher
08-24-2012, 11:00 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/people-shot-empire-state-building-17072093#.UDeIoallSPw

Looks like the guy was laid off from his job over a year ago. I fully expect a new Romney super PAC ad blaming the deaths on Obama's failed economic policies.

coyotes_geek
08-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Looks like the guy was laid off from his job over a year ago. I fully expect a new Romney super PAC ad blaming the deaths on Obama's failed economic policies.

Given the "romney killed my wife" ad, an Obama super pac ad about how this guy lost his job in the first place because of romney or someone of his ilk seems much more likely.

boutons_deux
08-24-2012, 11:04 AM
the NRA, (guns-and-ammo industry's marketing division) will say if everybody in Times Square was packing loaded heat, open carry especially, the shooter could have been killed a lot sooner, or maybe even intimidated.

(intimidation from violence works real well in the black and brown ghettos where everybody is armed to the teeth, right!)

Drachen
08-24-2012, 11:33 AM
well, not to make light of it, but the onion had an article yesterday that said "Nation celebrates an entire week without mass shooting"

Today they posted "Never Mind"

Yonivore
08-24-2012, 10:41 PM
1) Isn't New York a strict gun law state?

2) Six bystanders were injured in a police involved shootout.

Ironic, eh?

ChumpDumper
08-24-2012, 10:43 PM
1) Isn't New York a strict gun law state?

2) Six bystanders were injured in a police involved shootout.

Ironic, eh?Not really.

Disingenuous came to mind.

Trainwreck2100
08-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Men accused of plotting Columbine-like attack at Alamo Heights High

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Men-accused-of-plotting-Columbine-like-attack-at-3812437.php

The initial post, which police say was made by Murray, was a graphic photo of the Columbine suspects lying in a pool of blood with the caption, “BEST FRIENDS TILL THE END!!”

Police said Judson responded, “TOTALLY WANNA HANG OUT ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL XD.”

School at Alamo Heights High, where Judson and Murray are students, resumes Monday.

In a Facebook exchange littered with typos, one said he thought he could get a car and another said, “lol can I borrow a shotgun I making the ipebombs,” police said.

They also discussed making different types of shotguns, police said, then Murray stated, “so wanna be Dylan klebold” and Judson responded, “lol yes matt,” and then, “I wanna b eric harris I acvt like himxD.”

Judson and Murray were arrested without incident late Thursday.

The youths openly discussed their similarities to Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, who committed suicide after they went on a shooting spree that killed a dozen students and a teacher at Columbine High School in Colorado.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Pair-accused-of-plotting-Columbine-like-attack-at-3812437.php#ixzz24WgIArKg

They had no guns

Yonivore
08-25-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm revising the axiom:

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away; but, when they're not, God help us all!"

EYWgrHwrlf8

Empire State Building shooting victim says NYPD fired 'randomly' into street (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/24/empire-state-building-shooting-nypd-response?CMP=twt_gu)

Questions have been raised over the New York police department's handling of a shooting near the Empire State Building after armed officers injured nine passers-by as they pursued a gunman who had just shot dead his former boss.

One of those injured by police told the Guardian that officers appeared to fire "randomly" as they confronted Jeffrey Johnson, 58, minutes after a workplace dispute escalated into a chaotic shootout in one of the busiest parts of Manhattan.

Reports suggest that while Johnson drew his gun when he was confronted by officers, he did not fire; all those injured appear to have been shot by police. The New York police commissioner, Raymond Kelly, said officers had no choice but to act as they did: police discharged 14 rounds and the gunman died at the scene.

DMC
08-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Dude drew down, cops had to respond. It happens. Real life isn't like movies were Robocop triangulates the position and avoids collateral damage. With that many people around you, and a guy who just killed someone drawing on you, your options just went to 2, shoot or die. However that one cop looked like he was shooting elsewhere while cop 2 was just pointing or so it seemed.

CosmicCowboy
08-25-2012, 11:51 AM
LOL The cops just shot the shit out of everyone. 3 hits on the suspect and 13 sprayed into the crowd. Internal affairs will have fun with this one.

Trainwreck2100
08-25-2012, 11:56 AM
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:l ol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

dumbass cops

ElNono
08-25-2012, 12:09 PM
:lol reading Yoni bitch about cops spraying in the crowd is frankly sad after the lecture of how a trained cop would've stopped that killer in the movie with a clean shot...

MannyIsGod
08-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Smh

MannyIsGod
08-25-2012, 01:45 PM
In the NYPDs defense, many of those bystanders were reaching for their wallet.

Yonivore
08-26-2012, 10:11 AM
:lol reading Yoni bitch about cops spraying in the crowd is frankly sad after the lecture of how a trained cop would've stopped that killer in the movie with a clean shot...
First of all, I never lectured on what a trained cop would've done in the movie theater but, what anyone, with proper training, would've done in the movie theater. It wouldn't have had to be a cop. In fact, as demonstrated at the Empire State Building, police officers may be less concerned with who is affected by an active shooter scenario than would be a CHL carrier, present at one when it begins.

Most officer-involved shootings occur outside a crowded scenario, when officers encounter a lone gunman at a crime scene or, occur after everyone else has either escaped or is injured and/or dead at the scene. At that point, there is little concern an innocent bystander is going to become involved no matter how far and wide you sling your bullets.

Secondly, I have no idea how NYPD's officers are trained, much less, how that training is reinforced and certified. But, that there were two police officers within 10 feet of the armed gunman and less than half of their bullets found their mark -- even in the absence of any return fire -- tells me, perhaps, these weren't NYPD's best and brightest. Just a hunch.

But, back to the point, I never lectured on what a trained cop would do in that movie theater -- and I'm skeptical of how well-trained these cops were.

Wild Cobra
08-26-2012, 12:54 PM
LOL The cops just shot the shit out of everyone. 3 hits on the suspect and 13 sprayed into the crowd. Internal affairs will have fun with this one.
Those with lack of gun control should be fired.

Destro
08-26-2012, 02:25 PM
shooting a gun in a controlled environment is not the same as shooting with your life on the line and adrenaline pumping. Same thing as people who exercise with martial arts, when they get into real fights the training doesn't always matter.

Wild Cobra
08-26-2012, 02:32 PM
shooting a gun in a controlled environment is not the same as shooting with your life on the line and adrenaline pumping. Same thing as people who exercise with martial arts, when they get into real fights the training doesn't always matter.
Sorry, I don't by that. Part of their training includes not shooting innocent bystanders.

They recklessly fired. A moment more for aim is all that was needed. They panicked. I do not want a police officer with a weapon who panics. They definitely were not heroes that day. They are paid to put their life on the line. Not others.

I see manslaughter charges coming.

Yonivore
08-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I disagree. The point of training is to make your reaction second nature in the event you're ever confronted with the situations for which you've been training.

Yonivore
08-27-2012, 10:04 AM
For example:

Bystander Fired Deadly Shot, Not Officer (http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4527526)

Police say Perry Stevens was walking outside of the Auto Zone on Greenwell Springs Road when he heard Harrison yelling for help. Harrison was reportedly on his back with Temple on top of him. That's when Stevens went to his car and grabbed his .45 caliber pistol.

According to Col. Greg Phares, "[Mr. Stevens] orders Mr. Temple to stop and get off the officer. The verbal commands are ignored and Mr. Stevens fires four shots, all of which struck Mr. Temple."

Perry Stevens fired four shots into Temple's torso. Officer Harrison had already fired one shot into Temple's abdomen. With Temple still struggling with the officer, Perry continued to advance toward the scuffle.

"He again orders Mr. Temple to stop what he was doing and get off the officer. Those commands are ignored and he fires a fifth shot and that hits his head. The incident is over with, and as you know, Mr. Temple is dead."

Police are calling the shooting death justified.
Now, that's gun control.

boutons_deux
08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
If only 50+ movie goers had been armed, then we could have had a real serious slaughter in the dark.

Yonivore
08-27-2012, 11:17 AM
If only 50+ movie goers had been armed, then we could have had a real serious slaughter in the dark.
You had a serious slaughter in the dark.

A couple of competent CHL carriers in the crowd could have made a huge difference -- just like one did, in the case of Officer Harrison.

ElNono
08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
lol anecdotes

mingus
08-27-2012, 11:30 AM
You had a serious slaughter in the dark.

A couple of competent CHL carriers in the crowd could have made a huge difference -- just like one did, in the case of Officer Harrison.

Anyone who has experience in firearms understands this. But the (gun) haters will keep hating. They can keep hating and I'll keep carrying.

Yonivore
08-27-2012, 11:45 AM
lol anecdotes

In "The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology," edition 86-1 (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/jclc/backissues/86-1.html) (subscription needed) reported the findings of a 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households. The analysis found that over the previous five years, at least 0.5% of households had members who had used a gun for defense during a situation in which they thought someone "almost certainly would have been killed" if they "had not used a gun for protection." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 162,000 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."

I can't find a more recent paper but, I don't expect the numbers are anything but higher than they were in 1993.

ElNono
08-27-2012, 12:37 PM
lol anecdotes

boutons_deux
08-28-2012, 09:44 AM
I got some anecdotes!

Man accidentally shoots wife in bed

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/newswatch/2012/08/man-accidentally-shoots-wife-in-bed/

New York Judge Censured For Approving Own Firearm License, Accidently Discharging Gun In Chambers

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/28/751571/new-york-judge-censured-for-approving-own-firearm-license-accidently-discharging-gun-in-chambers/

Man accidentally shoots own buttocks at ‘Bourne Legacy’ showing

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/15/man-accidentally-shoots-own-buttocks-at-bourne-legacy-showing/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29&utm_content=Google+Reader

In 2000, 174 children (0-18) in the United States died from unintentional firearm-related injuries. Unintentional injuries are usually caused when children play with guns or are hunting.

http://www.childdeathreview.org/causesaf.htm

ElNono
08-28-2012, 11:41 AM
lol bot