PDA

View Full Version : Amico: Derek Fisher Could Play With Spurs This Season?

LkrFan
08-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Derek Fisher is 38 years old. He doesn’t have a job currently. But there is tangible interest in his services as the Nets, Cavaliers, Mavericks, Knicks, Bulls and Thunder are currently in the mix.

The San Antonio Spurs, and their incongruous combination of guards, surely wouldn’t be interested right? It’s unlikely but Sam Amico of Fox Sports says it would not be surprising if he ended up with the Spurs. This isn’t anything concrete, of course, just a possibility that Amico believes might come to fruition (via his Sulia channel.)

Ignoring the obvious sentimental pitfalls, Fisher’s addition to the Spurs doesn’t make any sense logistically. His PER last year (8.0) was his worst of his career and that number dropped even more with Oklahoma City. His shooting efficiency isn’t acceptable and his mid-range game, which used to be a sound source for points, is nonexistent. And his decision making has worsened with age. He turned the ball over on 16.2% of his possessions on the floor last year, only a slight tick lower than his assist percentage.

Yeah, he’s just not very good anymore. (Side note: Although, in his tenure with Oklahoma City, they were considerably better with him on the floor. For example, they scored 113.7 points per 100 possessions this season compared to 105.2 pts/100 without Fisher. Does this make any sense to you?)
Plus, he’s exactly what the Spurs already have only a lot less effective. At this point, a good amount of his value is tied up to his 16 years of NBA experience and the notion that he is a “clutch” shooter. (Which really isn’t that important nor entirely true.) If he was say, Derek Jones, there likely wouldn’t be five or six teams interested.

But he’s Derek Fisher and as long as teams believe that his addition adds some intangible presence, he will continue to find work even though his production doesn’t deem a NBA roster spot.

He better not come to San Antonio or, you know, I won’t be too happy.

LINK (http://airalamo.com/2012/08/22/amico-derek-fisher-could-play-with-spurs-this-season/)

Discuss sons. :lol

#41 Shoot Em Up
08-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Probably will end up in Chicago, makes the most sense.

elemento
08-26-2012, 05:04 PM
SA has 7 guards right now

End of discussion

Trill Clinton
08-26-2012, 05:07 PM
no thanks. outside of him being a washed up scrub, we already met our quota of lightskinnededed niggas. too many lightskinned dudes is a recipe for disaster.

Clipper Nation
08-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Who would want that fossil? He's not even clutch anymore, tbh....

Koolaid_Man
08-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Who would want that fossil? He's not even clutch anymore, tbh....

well I did the math on my scientific calculator and according to my formula it would literally take Chris Paul 24 more years to match D-Fish's 5 rings...

dunkman
08-26-2012, 10:25 PM
The Spurs have a lot of PG's, combo guards and swings, otherwise he would be a solid addition. He was really good for OKC, he just knows how to play and is tough as nails.

Maybe Pop can hire him as assistant coach. It would be better for the Spurs to develop players like De Colo, Mills, Green and Leonard, to off-set the decline of Duncan and Manu. That's the only way the Spurs could continue contending. One or two clutch plays may not be enough.

Reck
08-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Yeah the Fish needs to retire as a player and get in a suit and into coaching.

AussieFanKurt
08-26-2012, 10:58 PM
No ways the spurs sign him, just a gee up of an article

8FOR!3
08-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Derek Fisher? Maybe if he was 6'10.

SenorSpur
08-27-2012, 09:43 AM
PLEASE!

Still, but because he's not 6'10" is precisely why there could likely be some interest.

ClippersDynasty
08-27-2012, 09:50 AM
When I look at Derek Fisher I see superstar intangibles, Tebow level intangibles tbh. He just doesn't have the body that todays superstars have and that holds him back. Still would be an AMAZING pickup for this spurs team. Duncan is through leading teams to titles, let someone else step in and lead tbh.

manustarting2gd
08-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Heck freakin no. D fish sucks balls. Lights up S.A., and thats exactly the reason he'll be in silver and black next season. Front office bitchslappn the fans. Lol I hope not.

symple19
08-27-2012, 10:02 PM
fuck no

Hooks
08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
I doubt it happens, the Spurs have Mills who should be a solid backup this year after going through training camp and getting experience with the team, De Colo can also run the PG position a bit.

ALVAREZ6
08-28-2012, 05:22 PM
fuck that n!gg@, no thanks

Fergie The Florists
08-28-2012, 05:46 PM
:lol sperm fans acting like they are too good for D. Fish. Fisher is too good for those bums..... SA would be lucky to have a cold blooded motherfucker like Fish.

Leetonidas
08-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Derek Fisher fucking sucks balls :lol

druggas
08-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Fisher doesn't want to play for a team that he's dominated all through his career.

Bynumite
08-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Feeling nostalgic tbh, it’s always nice to look back and revisit the moment when spurfans everywhere shed a tear in unison :toast

Mav2iBA1cwo

LkrFan
08-29-2012, 02:30 PM
^ Shot heard round the world tbh. :lol

Clipper Nation
08-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Feeling nostalgic tbh, it’s always nice to look back and revisit the moment when spurfans everywhere shed a tear in unison :toast

Mav2iBA1cwo

Speaking of shedding a tear in unison.....

Ck9nyiwaTIg

rayjayjohnson
08-31-2012, 04:25 AM
lol @ dinosaurs in this thread reminiscing about the good old days

Latarian Milton
08-31-2012, 06:40 PM
i think in pat mills the spurs already got a solid backup PG. dude impressed the olympics and he certainly deserves more PT in the coming season, on the olympics at least he looked even the better player then parker tbh

Kidd K
09-05-2012, 06:05 PM
0% chance.

Spurs' guard depth:

Parker
Ginobili
Jackson
Neal
Green
Mills
De Colo
Anderson
Joseph
Denmon

Spurs have 10 guards. . .and use some of them as SFs. Don't see how or why they'd sign Fisher too. They need a legit PF or center, not more small guys.