PDA

View Full Version : Cancun

jag
08-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Fly out from Atlanta International tomorrow at 11:00. Going to be there for 5 days.

What's some cool shit to do down there around town, outside of the resort?

SpurinDallas
08-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Fly out from Atlanta International tomorrow at 11:00. Going to be there for 5 days.

Cancun is awesome. For really good food, go into the city away from the hotel zone. There'll be plenty of Americans there, so you shouldn't feel too uncomfortable. Visit Tulum. Plenty of shuttle buses will take you out there and back. Also, book a deep sea fishing excursion. It's a must out there.

jag
08-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Cancun is awesome. For really good food, go into the city away from the hotel zone. There'll be plenty of Americans there, so you shouldn't feel too uncomfortable. Visit Tulum. Plenty of shuttle buses will take you out there and back. Also, book a deep sea fishing excursion. It's a must out there.

What do you recommend doing in the evenings? Bars, clubs, stay in?

The Reckoning
08-27-2012, 08:52 AM
fuuuu when i was in cancun we stayed at the RIU, and they usually have free vip club passes with your resort every night with free shuttle to the club. go to the front desk and ask them about any special offers the resort might have with local clubs/restaurants/etc.

getting back is a different story, though almost all taxi drivers will try to sell you some shit.

i dont know if youre into exploring and whatnot, but there are also some badass maya ruins nearby in the yucatan that you can look into.

SpurinDallas
08-27-2012, 08:55 AM
What do you recommend doing in the evenings? Bars, clubs, stay in?

Avoid COCO BONGO!! That place is advertised all over the hotel zone and they'll charge you $45.00 to get in, with all you can drink. But the drinks are served is small plastic cups and extremely watered down. Some bar hopping would probably be a lot more fun if you are going out.

Oh yeah, the cab rides get expensive. Take the bus instead.

SpurinDallas
08-27-2012, 08:56 AM
fuuuu when i was in cancun we stayed at the RIU, and they usually have free vip club passes with your resort every night with free shuttle to the club. go to the front desk and ask them about any special offers the resort might have with local clubs/restaurants/etc.

getting back is a different story, though almost all taxi drivers will try to sell you some shit.

i dont know if youre into exploring and whatnot, but there are also some badass maya ruins nearby in the yucatan that you can look into.

Tulum. I was blown away by that place.

jag
08-27-2012, 09:17 AM

Solid advice. I'll check into that

DPG21920
08-27-2012, 09:19 AM
High School graduation trip?

jag
08-27-2012, 09:22 AM
High School graduation trip?

Yeah, me and my high school bros hit up all our parents for some money. Pretty pumped about the trip. I'm only 17 but I hear they'll still let you get drunk down there. I'm ready to get CRAZY BRAH

jag
08-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Oh yeah, the cab rides get expensive. Take the bus instead.

I know you're supposed to set a price before you get in the cab, but are you supposed to tip them afterwards? If so, how much? It would just be my girlfriend and me, so just two passengers.

SpurinDallas
08-27-2012, 09:30 AM
I know you're supposed to set a price before you get in the cab, but are you supposed to tip them afterwards? If so, how much? It would just be my girlfriend and me, so just two passengers.

Just a couple bucks is fine.

Where are y'all staying? A cab ride would cost us about 15-20 bucks one way, so after the first day, we started paying 2 bucks and took the bus.

jag
08-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Just a couple bucks is fine.

Where are y'all staying? A cab ride would cost us about 15-20 bucks one way, so after the first day, we started paying 2 bucks and took the bus.

Club Med Yucatan. $30+ would get expensive. Might end up going the bus route.

SpurinDallas
08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Club Med Yucatan. $30+ would get expensive. Might end up going the bus route.

Good, I'll never take a cab out there again. Save your money for an excursion instead. I highly recommend deep sea fishing or a Jungle Tour.

DPG21920
08-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Jag - I know it's a little pricier, but if you take your GF on a bus intead of a cab you might lose her. In the end you are talking about $30 here - that's like an average dinner.

Wild Cobra
08-27-2012, 02:08 PM

If my daughter was here, I would ask her.

JudynTX
08-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Don't get killed. :)

O.J. Simpson
08-27-2012, 02:16 PM
If my daughter was here, I would ask her.

I can ask.

Lincoln
08-27-2012, 02:59 PM
I went in June and it was badass. There are plenty of nightclubs but it's different from ones here in Dallas. A lot of disco type music not your usual electronic house/trance. They have a lot of tours and things you can do such as visit Tulum(ancient Mayan ruins), chichen itza (ancient Mayan ruins and 7 wonder of the world), diving with dolphins, parasailing, snorkeling etc. depends on how much money you want to throw down but we went boating and to chichen itza. Both were great...the tour guides really know their shit and will take you to see cool places on the way and back.

We saw the oldest city in the Yucatan peninsula (founded in 1548) and these deep natural waterfall cave.

Lincoln
08-27-2012, 03:02 PM
There's also zip lining through the jungle and repelling off cliffs. Here's a tip though...when you arrive at the airport there will be people approaching you trying to sell you one of these trips. Don't trust them, go through the Hotel. They have the same thing at cheaper rates and it isn't sketchy

The Reckoning
08-29-2012, 03:08 AM
i forgot to mention! ive been wanting to do this for awhile. you should look into it if youre a diver. it's a cool idea that hopefully will gain traction.

http://cancun.travel/en/things-to-do/water-sports/cancuns-underwater-museum/