PDA

View Full Version : Circumcision benefits far outweigh risks, according to American Academy of Pediatrics

Wild Cobra's Surgeon
08-28-2012, 04:19 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/circumcision-benefits-outweigh-risks-and-insurers-should-pay-pediatricians-revise-stance/2012/08/26/49663aae-efb7-11e1-b74c-84ed55e0300b_story.html

CHICAGO — The nation’s most influential pediatricians group says the health benefits of circumcision in newborn boys outweigh any risks and insurance companies should pay for it.
In its latest policy statement on circumcision, a procedure that has been declining nationwide, the American Academy of Pediatrics moves closer to an endorsement but says the decision should be up to parents. Circumcision of baby boys, long declining in the U.S., is likely to get a boost from a pediatric group.
“It’s not a verdict from on high,” said policy co-author Dr. Andrew Freedman. “There’s not a one-size-fits-all-answer.” But from a medical standpoint, circumcision’s benefits in reducing risk of disease outweigh its small risks, said Freedman, a pediatric urologist in Los Angeles.
Recent research bolstering evidence that circumcision reduces chances of infection with HIV and other sexually spread diseases, urinary tract infections and penis cancer influenced the academy to update their 13-year-old policy.
Their old stance said potential medical benefits were not sufficient to warrant recommending routinely circumcising newborn boys. The new one says, “The benefits of newborn male circumcision justify access to this procedure for those families who choose it.” The academy also says pain relief stronger than a sugar-coated pacifier is essential, usually an injection to numb the area.
The federal Centers for Disease Control and Convention has estimated circumcision costs range from about $200 to $600 nationwide. Coverage varies among insurers and several states have stopped Medicaid funding for circumcisions.
The new policy was published online Monday in Pediatrics. It comes amid ongoing debate over whether circumcision is medically necessary or a cosmetic procedure that critics say amounts to genital mutilation. Activists favoring a circumcision ban made headway in putting it to a vote last year in San Francisco but a judge later knocked the measure off the city ballot, ruling that regulating medical procedures is up to the state, not city officials.
In Germany, Jewish and Muslim leaders have protested a regional court ruling in June that said circumcision amounts to bodily harm.
Meantime, a recent study projected that declining U.S. circumcision rates could add more than $4 billion in health care costs in coming years because of increased illness and infections.
Circumcision involves removing foreskin at the tip of the penis. The procedure can reduce germs that can grow underneath the foreskin, and complications, including bleeding and infection, are rare, the academy says.
Despite the U.S. decline, about half of baby boys nationwide still undergo circumcision, or roughly 1 million each year. The country’s overall rate is much higher than in other developed nations, but U.S. rates vary by region and are higher in areas where it is a cultural or religious tradition, including among Jews and Muslims.
Psychologist Ronald Goldman, director of an anti-circumcision group, the Circumcision Resource Center, said studies show circumcision causes loss of sexual satisfaction — a claim the academy said is not supported by the research it reviewed — and can be psychologically harming. Goldman contends medical studies showing benefits are flawed and that the academy’s new position is “out of step” with medical groups in other developed countries.
The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists took part in the research review that led to the new policy and has endorsed it. Circumcisions in hospitals are typically performed by obstetricians or pediatricians.
The CDC also participated in the review, and will consider the academy’s updated policy in preparing its own recommendations, a CDC spokesman said. The agency has a fact sheet summarizing circumcision’s potential health benefits and risks but no formal guidelines.
The American Medical Association and American Academy of Family Physicians have neutral policies similar to the pediatrics academy’s previous position.
Philadelphia social worker Shannon Coyne examined medical research on circumcision before her son was born last September and had a tough time making a decision. She learned that a relative’s boy needed reconstructive surgery after a botched circumcision, and that another’s son who wasn’t circumcised developed urinary infections.
Coyne said she and her husband ultimately decided against circumcision, because she didn’t want her baby to have what she considers cosmetic surgery without being able to consent.
Her advice to other parents is “just make an informed decision. Do your research, be open-minded.”
Some 18 states have eliminated Medicaid coverage for circumcision, a trend that could contribute to rising health care costs to treat infections if circumcision rates continue to decline, according to a study published Aug. 20 in Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine.
Dr. Aaron Tobian, a Johns Hopkins University assistant professor who co-authored the study, said the academy’s updated policy “is a very good step.”

johnsmith
08-28-2012, 04:30 PM
M>S is all over this shit.

I predict 8 page thread.

The Reckoning
08-28-2012, 05:08 PM
:lol psychologically harming :lol

DPG21920
08-28-2012, 05:10 PM
M>S is all over this shit.

I predict 8 page thread.

At least 10 pages like everything else from him

FkLA
08-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Would you guys really circumcise your son(s) ?

Bill_Brasky
08-28-2012, 05:27 PM
What's so hard about washing your dick?

Drachen
08-28-2012, 05:28 PM

I didn't

tlongII
08-28-2012, 05:29 PM

Absolutely. It is better for their health.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-28-2012, 05:33 PM
If I have kids (lol having kids) there's no way I'm circumcising them. It, like countless other ones, is an outdated Jewish tradition that has little to no benefit anymore.

Creepn
08-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Aah shit here we go. You're going to rejuvenate m<s dreams to run for governor so he can save babies from this psychological trauma.

Reck
08-28-2012, 05:36 PM
If I have kids (lol having kids) there's no way I'm circumcising them. It, like countless other ones, is an outdated Jewish tradition that has little to no benefit anymore.

No DUNCANownsKOBE legacy then?

I dont believe in marriage myself but I think I'll let my girlfriend punch one out at some point.

Lincoln
08-28-2012, 05:38 PM
So much obsession with foreskin tbh

mavs>spurs
08-28-2012, 05:39 PM
"Coyne said she and her husband ultimately decided against circumcision, because she didn’t want her baby to have what she considers cosmetic surgery without being able to consent."

This pretty much says it all right there. Your body, your choice.

The doctors coming out with these pro circumcision studies obviously have a dog in this fight, as people now have access to all kinds of information on the internet and are suing for what was done with them. The perpetrators have to maintain the facade that there are very minimal health benefits so that they can evade lawsuits via this technicality. They also make billions of dollars per year performing the surgeries and then selling the stolen body parts to big business.

They say it slightly lowers your chance of penile cancer..okay that's one of the most rare forms of cancer there is and only affects 1 in 100,000.

They say it slightly lowers your chance of HIV IF YOU ARE HAVING UNPROTECTED SEX. Cool..but do you see any of these doctors going to Africa and having unprotected sex if they are so confident? The truth is, only abstinence or condoms prevent STD's.

There's also the little problem that uncircumcised Europe has LESS std's than the US, and no problems with the big bad infections they fear monger us to death with. It doesn't really add up that circumcision is so great if uncircumcised europe is better off without it.

If you do your research and dig deeper into the subject, you learn that circumcision was always a cure in search of a disease. No other procedure in history has been said to "cure" more ailments than circumcision. They said it cured blindness, insanity, and all sorts of ridiculous things. There is something deeper there at work at a psychological level. Some say it's a form of control.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-28-2012, 05:42 PM
No DUNCANownsKOBE legacy then?

I dont believe in marriage myself but I think I'll let my girlfriend punch one out at some point.
I wanna adopt a Nigerian kid and train him to dominate in football or basketball. I'm gonna name him Kony.

DeadlyDynasty
08-28-2012, 05:46 PM
I wanna adopt a Nigerian kid and train him to dominate in football
Well we already know he won't be dominating the QB position.

mavs>spurs
08-28-2012, 05:46 PM

Not only is there no benefit, but it's sexually damaging. American doctors are ignorant to the value of the foreskin and are never taught about it in med school. Once again, the rest of the world is laughing at us over this. Nobody understands why we do this to our children and countries are now outright banning it as barbaric. It's pretty sad to see how far we've fallen from once being on the cutting edge of knowledge and technology. Basically, here's why circumcision is so bad:

-the 5 most touch sensitive locations are lost
-there is an increased risk of ed, because the sensitive foreskin maintains sexual excitement and aids in maintaining erections as we age
-it's painful as hell and has been proven to have psychological ramifications that are not yet fully understood
-circumcised penises are smaller on average due to what doctors think could be the loss of 50% of the DHT receptors in the penis
-there is a significantly decreased intensity of orgasm
-foreskin gives pleasure to the woman and women who have experienced both without protection overwhelmingly prefer intact. studies have shown that women with intact partners report less dissatisfaction, and intact males report less sexual frustration.
-loss of bodily autonomy and lowered self esteem

Aside from all that, plenty of babies die from it every year and if I ever have a son I'm not torturing him to the point that there is a small risk of him dying. The foreskin is the most nerve dense tissue in the male body. Circumcision fucking HURTS.

leemajors
08-28-2012, 05:49 PM
basically, m>s either had a really, really botched circumcision, or he just doesn't know how to fuck.

The Reckoning
08-28-2012, 05:50 PM
imo my peepee tingles too much as it is. being noncircumsized would make me run sub 10 times.

Gold Tooth Carl
08-28-2012, 05:51 PM
basically, m>s either had a really, really botched circumcision, or he just doesn't know how to fuck.

:lol:lol:lol

mavs>spurs
08-28-2012, 05:53 PM

dude that's just lame. that comment is simply your defense mechanism because you're circumcised and don't like hearing that your pee pee is damaged goods for no good reason. your doctor lied to your parents dude, be mad at him.

Lincoln
08-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I never had a problem with being cut and the girls I been with always came back for more. Now this might change as a I get older and possibly get ed so we won't kno until then

Gold Tooth Carl
08-28-2012, 05:55 PM
As long as you know how to fuck bitches it really shouldnt be an issue.

Reck
08-28-2012, 06:01 PM
This cutting shit is now just getting some traction. If you were born in the early to mid 80s you're fine.

This new generation of parents are deluded and always want to control you and how you live the rest of your life.

FkLA
08-28-2012, 06:05 PM
I dont get why circumcised peeps try to defend or downplay circumcision. You dont have to go apeshit about it like m>s but you should atleast be able to admit that circumcision is stupid.

leemajors
08-28-2012, 06:10 PM
dude that's just lame. that comment is simply your defense mechanism because you're circumcised and don't like hearing that your pee pee is damaged goods for no good reason. your doctor lied to your parents dude, be mad at him.

You've told us over and over that you have shitty orgasms braj, what gives?

Gold Tooth Carl
08-28-2012, 06:10 PM
I dont get why circumcised peeps try to defend or downplay circumcision. You dont have to go apeshit about it like m>s but you should atleast be able to admit that circumcision is stupid.

Oh so you like dem guhhhhs with dem flaccid pee pees?

Gold Tooth Carl
08-28-2012, 06:11 PM

:lol Thats cuz the hand is not a substitute for pussy.

leemajors
08-28-2012, 06:11 PM

Getting pissed about something that happened 30+ years ago to me that I cannot do shit about is stupid. What I can do is not circumcise a son if I have one. My dick works great and I don't have shitty orgasms. What is there to be pissed about?

mavs>spurs
08-28-2012, 06:15 PM

I have orgasms just like the rest of circumcised men, they are not full body and last for several minutes at a time like a woman i'll tell you that.

The cold hard truth, and the part that makes most men upset and lash out is the fact that a lot of female dysfunction and orgams difficulties can actually be traced back to having a circumcised partner. While you pound away with your little tightly circumcised cock as hard as you can to achieve orgasm, it ain't doing shit for her without the gliding mechanism of the foreskin. If you're especially big you can still get women off pretty easy, but by the sounds of your anger you've got the classic growth impeded tiny dick due to circumcision. Maybe you didn't have enough skin to grow into, dunno. Glad mine was a somewhat loose cut and I still have some of mine, sure as hell wish I had more though. That's why I can tell you for certain that the foreskin is way more pleasurable than shaft skin. With mine not being overly tight I still have a little of the gliding mechanism which is much better for her. I just know that it could be better and I feel really bad for guys like you man.

leemajors
08-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Sounds like your cold hard truth, not mine. I suggest you try yoga.

mavs>spurs
08-28-2012, 06:29 PM
instead of being bitter and hating you should just support foregen although you may need a totally new penis and not just the foreskin if growth was impeded too much.

leemajors
08-28-2012, 06:31 PM
You appear lashing out in all dick related threads son, get some perspective.

mavs>spurs
08-28-2012, 06:32 PM
i came in and offered legitimate discussion about the topic subject not directed at anyone, you felt threatened and came in with lame personal attacks about botched circumcisions and nonsense.

perspective.

leemajors
08-28-2012, 06:34 PM
:lol

You have said several times you have shitty orgasms dude, and you felt the need to attack the size of my penis immediately. But when you post sense like this who can argue:

instead of being bitter and hating you should just support foregen although you may need a totally new penis and not just the foreskin if growth was impeded too much.

I'm surprised you haven't correlated Obama with the loss of your skin yet honestly.

mavs>spurs
08-28-2012, 06:36 PM
There's no way a fully grown adult male can be this stupid. You really think I attacked you first? Hint: the answer is on page 1.

The smack talk was in response to your butthurt personal attack. I'm sorry that this subject makes guys like you, hemann, etc a bit sensitive. I feel bad for you guys.

LnGrrrR
08-28-2012, 06:40 PM

I did.

Creepn
08-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Non circumcised people have orgasms lasting couple of minutes? I don't believe that.

leemajors
08-28-2012, 07:02 PM
There's no way a fully grown adult male can be this stupid. You really think I attacked you first? Hint: the answer is on page 1.

The smack talk was in response to your butthurt personal attack. I'm sorry that this subject makes guys like you, hemann, etc a bit sensitive. I feel bad for you guys.

I'mm comfortable with myself and my body. Your posts indicate you dwell in a state of butthurt re: circumcision. I cry pardon for calling your weak orgasms shitty.

leemajors
08-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Non circumcised people have orgasms lasting couple of minutes? I don't believe that.

Try having sex on shrooms or acid then :lol

DPG21920
08-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Crofl what M>S? If anyone is getting senstive it's you because you are so easily trolled and butthurt your weiner was chopped off.

You are also saying the most ridiculous stuff and get so mad when someone makes a funny joke towards you (that you in turn try to copy but fail) that it's hilarious. Not quite as hilarious as the fact that you are a massive douche on every topic except for this one thing that you get livid about when people don't take you seriously.

Glad to see you have your priorties straight though. Racism - nah, you can scoff that. World hunger? Not an issue at all. Dick!!!!! M>S is all over that topic like it even matters in the scheme of things. Sorry your botched penis mutilation left you dry of dat bull sawce I saidddddddd.

The Reckoning
08-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Try having sex on shrooms or acid then :lol

thats terrifying. after smoking a blunt though, now damnnnn.

CubanSucks
08-28-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm not skimming through 40 posts. These threads are a dime a dozen on 4chan. Let me guess, ITT:

uncut compare circumcision to a clitorectomy
uncut think the cut have no sensation in their dickhead
uncut have a blatant sense of insecurity and show it by lashing out
uncut get trolled to a level never seen on any other topic

leemajors
08-28-2012, 07:51 PM
thats terrifying. after smoking a blunt though, now damnnnn.

nah it's pretty awesome. taking a shit on the other hand is terrifying :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-28-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm not skimming through 40 posts. These threads are a dime a dozen on 4chan. Let me guess, ITT:

uncut compare circumcision to a clitorectomy
uncut think the cut have no sensation in their dickhead
uncut have a blatant sense of insecurity and show it by lashing out
uncut get trolled to a level never seen on any other topic
That's not quite how it went.

mavs>spurs
08-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Dok is smart, he's pissed at me but he's not about to argue in favor of circumcion. He's intelligent enough that even though he was circumcised himself, he's not a mentally weak faggot who has to try to alter reality to suit himself. It is what it is. Whether you believe in creationism or evolution, removing something that was put there by God or evolved for a reason without that person's consent could have potentially negative connotations and is a major human rights violation. Anyone acting like a dick just for the sake of it is insecure and feels threatened.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Dok is smart, he's pissed at me but he's not about to argue in favor of circumcion. He's intelligent enough that even though he was circumcised himself, he's not a mentally weak faggot who has to try to alter reality to suit himself. It is what it is. Whether you believe in creationism or evolution, removing something that was put there by God or evolved for a reason without that person's consent could have potentially negative connotations and is a major human rights violation. Anyone acting like a dick just for the sake of it is insecure and feels threatened.
:lol I'm pissed at you because I argued with you about politics?

Anywho, yeah, I think circumcision should be someone's decision once they turn 18. That's my main issue with it. It's a cosmetic procedure that should be a personal choice.

DPG21920
08-28-2012, 08:39 PM

This last sentence is not only hypocritical, but is also the very reason no one takes you seriously.

The Reckoning
08-28-2012, 08:48 PM
nah it's pretty awesome. taking a shit on the other hand is terrifying :lol

:lmao

"what's happening to meeeeeee"

Latarian Milton
08-28-2012, 08:55 PM
the area between a male's dick and the foreskin is an ideal habitat for organisms and the organisms may cause infections up into the urethra and maybe even the kidneys, which would post a serious threat to the male's health and his partners. but how the hell could you invite those unwelcome lodgers into your dick in the first place?

the only benefit of circumcision i see is it prevents kids from masturbating tbh

mingus
08-28-2012, 11:46 PM
:lol I'm pissed at you because I argued with you about politics?

Anywho, yeah, I think circumcision should be someone's decision once they turn 18. That's my main issue with it. It's a cosmetic procedure that should be a personal choice.

Cleft lip is also a cosmetic procedure.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-28-2012, 11:49 PM
the butthurt shylock shows up :lol

:lol comparing circumcision and cleft lip

mingus
08-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Surgeries should be performed based on risk/benefit without the consent of a child at that age. Not doing anything is negligent. This study, done by experts in their area, has provided proof of the fact that circumcision is advantageous health wise.

mingus
08-28-2012, 11:52 PM
the area between a male's dick and the foreskin is an ideal habitat for organisms and the organisms may cause infections up into the urethra and maybe even the kidneys, which would post a serious threat to the male's health and his partners. but how the hell could you invite those unwelcome lodgers into your dick in the first place?

the only benefit of circumcision i see is it prevents kids from masturbating tbh

It never kept me from doing it.

mavs>spurs
08-28-2012, 11:52 PM
the findings are akin to saying that skinning the infant alive will reduce skin cancer by 100%

none of the other major medical establishments in the world have found sufficient benefit to recommend routine infant circumcision. that's their stance.

mavs>spurs
08-28-2012, 11:53 PM

imo, circumcision is nothing but a weird sexual fetish such as clit piercings and stuff of that nature

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-28-2012, 11:53 PM
the findings are akin to saying that skinning the infant alive will reduce skin cancer by 100%

mingus
08-28-2012, 11:55 PM

They are similar in the fact that both present problems/risks that far outweigh the costs of surgery. You just pick and choose what you want to believe. Here is a study that present indisputable facts.

mavs>spurs
08-28-2012, 11:57 PM
They are similar in the fact that both present problems/risks that far outweigh the costs of surgery. You just pick and choose what you want to believe. Here is a study that present indisputable facts.

:lol "indisputable facts"

if you circumcise, your odds of dick cancer go down from 1 in 100,000 to .5 in 100,000!!

I'll tell you what really would save lives, routine removal of female breasts at birth. Breast cancer actually IS a real threat, and kills many more women than HIV and dick cancer combined. Good luck pushing that one.

mingus
08-29-2012, 12:05 AM
:lol "indisputable facts"

if you circumcise, your odds of dick cancer go down from 1 in 100,000 to .5 in 100,000!!

I'll tell you what really would save lives, routine removal of female breasts at birth. Breast cancer actually IS a real threat, and kills many more women than HIV and dick cancer combined. Good luck pushing that one.

In a perfect world, circumcision shouldn't happen. I agree that ideally, one should not be circumcised. But the fact is some people don't have the resources to keep clean down there very well. That is why Africa is cited in the study. It makes sense to go through with a relatively harmless procedure (despite what you say, I don't feel cosmetically or sexually deprived by being circumcised). A woman that has her breasts removed is a cosmetically, psychologically, and sexually harmful procedure to such an extent that I believe it requires their consent.

egtonecity
08-29-2012, 12:10 AM
I knew a guy who was born with way too much skin on his dick and who was also missing one of his eyelids. They removed the excess skin from his piece and used it for his eyelid. His dick was fine but he grew up a little cock eyed. *rimshot* lol

chunticakes
08-29-2012, 12:12 AM
the real question is....does avante have a foreskin?

chunticakes
08-29-2012, 12:13 AM
also circumcision greatly lowers your risk of getting dick cancer. a doctor told me.

mojorizen7
08-29-2012, 01:51 AM
As long as you know how to fuck bitches it really shouldnt be an issue.
:toast

CubanSucks
08-29-2012, 02:19 PM

they'd be dead

and have all of those women's future babies raised on formula?

try again

Gold Tooth Carl
08-29-2012, 02:26 PM
A new troll called Alex's foreskin is in development. Coming to a message board near you.

DPG21920
08-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Who is Alex? Also, who is Brian?