PDA

View Full Version : Typically at what age does...

ICE3000
06-25-2005, 10:10 AM
A dominant big man start to decline... barring any major injury? how much does that players style of play contribute to the amount of years they can dominate? opinions please

ObiwanGinobili
06-25-2005, 10:17 AM
I'd have to say, on average, around 35.

Lets say a guy played all 4 years of college and then came into the league. He's Dominant from the get-go and plays aggresive. I'd expect to see him decline around 33. Sooner if he fails to take care of himself health wise and during hte off seasons.

Another guy plays 3or 4 yrs college , comes into the league - but doesn't really develop as a fully competant dominat big man for 3 yrs or so. I'd expect to see him decline around 35 or 36. Once again, sooner for poor upkeep.

Another kid comes straight out of HS or Europe, it takes him 2 or 3 yrs to establich himslef as a true DBM. But he'll still decline around the same time - in my opinion.
Around 34 or 35.

although all of these players will continue to play, as they still have value for 4 or 5 more yrs. This is just the age at which they apex. ie= there's no more going up, it's all down hill from here video.

Kong
06-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, I would say take a look at David Robinson. You know he took care of himself. The guy wasn't buff without putting some serious time in the weight room, and if you watch NBA Classic and his early All-Star games, the man could fly. Now, consider the amount of pounding up and down hardwood floors, and look at other players who have had back problems like Larry Bird. We got Tim in '97, which means David was out all year in '96. Allowing for his two years in the Navy, and coming to the Spurs in '89, you get about 7 good years.

I would venture a guess that about 31 or so you start the decline in the big men.

ICE3000
06-25-2005, 10:28 AM
I asked that ? because I just thinkin to myself where will most of the dominant PF be 3-4 years from now... I see alot them declining in there early thirties because most rely to much on athletisicm when all else fails... The only players that I see could probably have the longevity of a MAILMAIN is maybe DUNCAN and maybe OKAFUR barrin any DR type injuries or some other unforseen circumstance

ObiwanGinobili
06-25-2005, 11:02 AM
I think we'll see Duncan start the downward decent around 34 and for sure by 35.
Maybe not dramaticaly, just not going to improve by that time.
Okafur- can't say with him yet becasue he's still new to the NBA. I followed him all thru college becasue I'm a HUGE UCONN fan. And from there I could see that he has a really good attitude, takes care of himslef physically , and makes smart desicions..... but college is a whole diff. environment then the NBA.

mattyc
06-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Ask Kevin Willis.

2centsworth
06-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Duncan will begin to decline at about 32 but will still be darn good till about 37. At that point it all depends on how well he takes care of himself.

jsgtaw
06-25-2005, 11:17 AM
"Barring injury" is the key term here. If a big man stays healthy, then he can go for a long time. Had David Robinson not injured his knee in '96 then he would have been 'dominant' for a couple more years. It worked out good though because we were able to get TD.

I think that a big man doesn't 'dominate' anymore when he starts to slow down physically. He is no longer able to hang with the athleticism of the younger players.

This, however, doesn't mean that they can't and won't have an impact on the team. If you look at Shaq this last year (and I hate to use him as an example), he was no longer dominant like he used to be, but without him on the team the Heat wouldn't have had near the success that they did. Also, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar played for about 20 years, and he was still a key player on the Lakers at the end of his career. He wasn't dominant, and he obviously couldn't have carried the team by himself, but he was an integral part of their championship teams in the late '80's.

As far as Tim Duncan goes, he never really has dominated physically. His domination has come from a solid game built on fundamentals. That's why he is the best player in the game. I see guys like KG declining before TD because a lot of his game is built on his superb athleticism. Not that KG doesn't have skill, he just doesn't have as much as TD. Tim is also an awesome leader as he demonstrated this last postseason.

I think that the Spurs need to start looking, in the next year or two, for that next dominant big man to play alongside of Tim Duncan, and assist him in his later career. It will be like Robinson was with Duncan.

exstatic
06-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Kareem played until he was 42, and at a pretty good level. However, I think that he HAD to, being ripped off by an agent or some such shit. David played on a bad back until he was 37. I think Tim could play another 10 years, if he wanted to, and not embarrass himself or the Spurs. At some point, he will probably slide into the "David role" of defensive anchor and board man, with the offense revolving around Parker, like 6 or 7 years from now. Tim's game is played so close to the floor, it's hard seeing it decline anytime in the next decade.

ObiwanGinobili
06-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Not that KG doesn't have skill, he just doesn't have as much as TD.

Truer words have never been spoken.

TheAfricanFan
06-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Word