PDA

View Full Version : No penalty for lying

LnGrrrR
08-30-2012, 12:00 PM
So Paul Ryan's speech, especially the big parts, were based off misrepresentations. If the media won't call these guys out, what's the point of media? Hopefully someone will get the facts out... not like Republicans will care. Facts have a well-known liberal bias, after all.

ElNono
08-30-2012, 12:06 PM
lol fact checkers

Winehole23
08-30-2012, 12:31 PM
So Paul Ryan's speech, especially the big parts, were based off misrepresentations. If the media won't call these guys out, what's the point of media? Hopefully someone will get the facts out... not like Republicans will care. Facts have a well-known liberal bias, after all.the media reports the controversy. evaluating the truth or falsity of the various exaggerations, half-truths and misrepresentations politicians rely on to win over gullible voters, is generally considered prima facie evidence of bias.

unless, of course, one happens to agree. in which case the judgment about truth or falsity is obviously a sign of being truthful and unbiased.

MannyIsGod
08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
I would argue the media in the past actually made important judgments on what was truth and was bullshit much harder than the judgments they should be making today. And I would also argue it was beneficial to this country. Today, the media LOVES the controversy because the controversy is what they can build their segments on. Sure have Michelle Bachman on talking about how Sharia law is dangerously close to taking over the United States. Give her a platform and give her statements legitimacy even though the appropriate action is instead to show how far from the truth such statements are.

boutons_deux
08-30-2012, 12:48 PM
6 Worst Lies In Paul Ryan’s Speech

1. “A downgraded America.” Ryan blamed the president for the nation’s credit downgrade in August 2011 after Republicans threatened to allow the government to default on its debt for the first time in history. But the ratings agency explicitly blamed “Republicans saying that they refuse to accept any tax increases as part of a larger deal.”

2. “More debt than any other president before him, and more than all the troubled governments of Europe combined.” Romney has made the almost identical claim, that Obama has amassed more debt “as almost all of the other presidents combined.” But their math doesn’t add up: when Obama took office, the national debt was $10.626 trillion. It has increased to slightly above $15 trillion.

3. Shuttered General Motors plant is “one more broken promise.” Ryan described a GM plant that closed down in his hometown, Janesville, Wisconsin, and blamed Obama for breaking his promise to keep the plant open when he visited during his campaign. But Obama never made that promise, and the plant shut down in December 2008, before Obama even took office.

4. Obama “did exactly nothing” on Bowles-Simpson. Ryan said, “He created a bipartisan debt commission. They came back with an urgent report. He thanked them, sent them on their way, and then did exactly nothing.” In fact, Ryan was instrumental in sabotaging the commission, leading the other House Republicans in voting against the plan.

5. “$716 billion, funneled out of Medicare by President Obama.” Ryan’s favorite lie is a deliberate distortion of Obamacare’s savings from eliminating inefficiencies. Furthermore, Ryan’s own plan for Medicare includes these savings. Romney has vowed to restore these cuts, which would render the trust fund insolvent 8 years ahead of schedule.

6. “The greatest of all responsibilities is that of the strong to protect the weak.” Ryan closed the speech with an invocation of social responsibility, saying, “The truest measure of any society is how it treats those who cannot defend or care for themselves.” However, numerous clergy members have condemned Ryan’s budget plan as “cruel,” and “an immoral disaster” because of its devastating cuts in social programs the poor and sick rely on. Meanwhile, Ryan would give ultra-rich individuals and corporations $3 trillion in tax breaks.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/08/30/772921/6-worst-lies-in-paul-ryans-speech/

Koolaid_Man
08-30-2012, 12:50 PM
So Paul Ryan's speech, especially the big parts, were based off misrepresentations. If the media won't call these guys out, what's the point of media? Hopefully someone will get the facts out... not like Republicans will care. Facts have a well-known liberal bias, after all.

Lngrrr..how's the wife and kids...give them my best...

As a fellow democrat I agree with you....but just remember we have the DNC coming up soon and trust me the rebuttal will be swift and strong...we get the opportunity to leave the last impression on the American people and we won't squander that opportunity..It will really come down to the debates and there you will see Obama absolutely crush Romney...I've maintained this all along..Obama knows how to connect with people and in my view he will crush Romney it won't even be close when they start debating...No pun intended the bain of Romney's claim to be president is Bain Capital and Obama will lay bear all of Romney's flaws...Romney says he knows how to turn around the country based on Bain yet he hides his records at Bain...

We're not going to allow these lying miscreants to go unpunished for absolute willful lying...Repubs are down right stupid...they pander with lies to their ignorant and racist base while hoping the independents will be dumb enough to follow suit.

With intellectual champions like Racheal Maddow, and Bill Maher we'll fight back and we'll win :toast

boutons_deux
08-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Ryan voted against B-S, assuring it would fail to be presented to Congress.

101A
08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
the media reports the controversy. evaluating the truth or falsity of the various exaggerations, half-truths and misrepresentations politicians rely on to win over gullible voters, is generally considered prima facie evidence of bias.

unless, of course, one happens to agree. in which case the judgment about truth or falsity is obviously a sign of being truthful and unbiased.

Classic.

+1

boutons_deux
08-30-2012, 01:09 PM
in depth:

Election 2012 and the media: a vast rightwing conspiracy of stupid

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/30/election-2012-media-vast-rightwing-conspiracy-stupid

boutons_deux
08-30-2012, 01:10 PM

bullshit.

TeyshaBlue
08-30-2012, 01:39 PM
With intellectual champions like Racheal Maddow, and Bill Maher we'll fight back and we'll win :toast

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m94qi29vud1rwmm4go1_1280.jpg:lol

CosmicCowboy
08-30-2012, 01:43 PM
With intellectual champions like Racheal Maddow, and Bill Maher we'll fight back and we'll win

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

DarrinS
08-30-2012, 02:03 PM

wow

CavsSuperFan
08-30-2012, 02:04 PM
We have gone from YES WE CAN to Its not our fault…

CavsSuperFan
08-30-2012, 02:08 PM
America has lost five million jobs under Obama... Don't worry though, Obama says he'll send Joe Biden to go look for them...

Koolaid_Man
08-30-2012, 04:07 PM
America has lost five million jobs under Obama... Don't worry though, Obama says he'll send Joe Biden to go look for them...

we know where they are...they've been all outsourced to the various regions, Asia Pacific and Africa / Middle East by the pro free market, capitalism-at-all-costs, lower my taxes to create jobs bullshit ass republican businessman.

I find it ironic that American business men don't really outsource jobs to Europe...you want to know why jobs aren't available for college graduates...

ask Mitt Romney and his friends...Mitt wants to be president yet he routinely betted against America with all of his offshore tax shelter havens. Now he wants to come back and claim he's the most loyal American amongst us...what bull pucky :lol

Jacob1983
08-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Paul Ryan is suppose to be a conservative libertarian yet he supports nation building, Gitmo, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the NDAA, the Patriot Act, and TARP. He also took Stimulus money. This guy is not a libertarian or a true conservative. He is the definition of a neo-con.

boutons_deux
08-30-2012, 04:23 PM

you dumbfuck

the world and the US economy didn't start on 20 Jan 2009.

CosmicCowboy
08-30-2012, 05:28 PM
we know where they are...they've been all outsourced to the various regions, Asia Pacific and Africa / Middle East by the pro free market, capitalism-at-all-costs, lower my taxes to create jobs bullshit ass republican businessman.

I find it ironic that American business men don't really outsource jobs to Europe...you want to know why jobs aren't available for college graduates...

ask Mitt Romney and his friends...Mitt wants to be president yet he routinely betted against America with all of his offshore tax shelter havens. Now he wants to come back and claim he's the most loyal American amongst us...what bull pucky :lol

That Boutonesque post was unbelievably illiterate. Your nom de plume is definitely appropriate.

Pelicans78
08-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Paul Ryan is suppose to be a conservative libertarian yet he supports nation building, Gitmo, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the NDAA, the Patriot Act, and TARP. He also took Stimulus money. This guy is not a libertarian or a true conservative. He is the definition of a neo-con.

Honestly, in order for a Republican to rise up in the ranks, they have to be neo-cons. This generation of Republicans will never support anything else.

wut
08-30-2012, 07:02 PM
wtf is this thread about? Show me a politician that DOES NOT lie or tell mis-truths at that level of politics, and I'll call you a liar.

Latarian Milton
08-30-2012, 07:31 PM
guy is a clown and you're fooling yourself if you think the combo of him & romney has a slim chance to upset obama in november tbh. congrats in advance to obama on his 2nd term presidency