PDA

View Full Version : Lakers to retire shaqs jersey

whitemamba
08-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Lakers are going to retire shaqs jersey at first home game.. Dwight will see this and instantly want to play his ass of and become a laker great.. Mitch with his tricks..:downspin:

Congrats to the most dominant center ever
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19984600/lakers-to-retire-shaquille-oneals-jersey

Thoughts?

Dex
08-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Won three titles for them basically on his own. No surprises here.

IronMexican
08-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Very much deserved

fevertrees
08-30-2012, 07:50 PM
congrats to greatest Laker of all time http://www.freesangha.com/forums/Smileys/default/smiley_bow.gif http://www.freesangha.com/forums/Smileys/default/smiley_bow.gif

Gold Tooth Carl
08-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Lol Kobe having to look up in the rafters and look at Shaqs jersey

irishock
08-30-2012, 07:59 PM
On TNT aswell.

scanry
08-30-2012, 08:20 PM
congrats to greatest Laker of all time http://www.freesangha.com/forums/Smileys/default/smiley_bow.gif http://www.freesangha.com/forums/Smileys/default/smiley_bow.gif

Top 4 are a lock

1. KAJ/Magic
3. Kobe
4. Shaq

LkrFan
08-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Lol Kobe having to look up in the rafters and look at Shaqs jersey

:lol

DeadlyDynasty
08-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Very much deserved
:tu

NLOMEmRQ40U

LkrFan
08-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Then Kobe added 2 more after he evicted Shaq's fatass. :lol

LkrFan
08-30-2012, 08:45 PM
congrats to fattest laker of all time http://www.freesangha.com/forums/smileys/default/smiley_bow.gif http://www.freesangha.com/forums/smileys/default/smiley_bow.gif

fify

LkrFan
08-30-2012, 08:46 PM
lol kobe having to look up in the rafters and look at shaqs xxxxxxxl jersey

fify

DMC
08-30-2012, 08:46 PM
well deserved.

LkrFan
08-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Are they gonna do it after the game like "another" franchise did? ;)

scanry
08-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Shaq's career stops sponsored by In n' Out burgers

1. Orl Magic
2. LA Lakers
3. Miami Heat
4. PHX Suns
5. Clev Cavaliers
6. Boston Celtics

An all time great shouldn't have that many layovers.

LkrFan
08-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Shaq's career stops sponsored by In n' Out burgers

1. Orl Magic
2. LA Lakers
3. Miami Heat
4. PHX Suns
5. Clev Cavaliers
6. Boston Celtics

An all time great shouldn't have that many layovers.
...and he talked shit as he walked out the door each time. SMH

jack sommerset
08-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Genius. God bless

ALVAREZ6
08-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Even as a Spurs fan I can't hate on Shaq. He was awesome. Great move to influence Dwight to play his ass off.

lefty
08-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Well deserved

Lol Kobie

lefty
08-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Then Pau added 2 more after Kobe evicted Shaq's fatass. :lol

Fify

LkrFan
08-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Fify

Stalin
08-30-2012, 11:14 PM
well deserved, unlike kobe didnt have to coattail to win championships

namlook
08-30-2012, 11:18 PM

well deserved, unlike kobe didnt have to coattail to win championships

LOL @ trolls.

Stalin
08-30-2012, 11:25 PM
^ riveting observation, scrah

LnGrrrR
08-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Where's all the Lakerfans that said Buss wouldn't retire his jersey?

Juggity
08-30-2012, 11:31 PM

Quite possibly. I don't remember Magic or Kareem ever threepeating, let alone as the singular overwhelming force. Those are the only two who could give him a run for his money in the category of GOAT Laker, but they always had each other in their title runs. Shaq had to win with K:lolbe on his team.

whitemamba
08-30-2012, 11:34 PM
LOL @ trolls.

Venti Quattro
08-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Where's all the Lakerfans that said Buss wouldn't retire his jersey?

They're the ones hailing this move.

lefty
08-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Quite possibly. I don't remember Magic or Kareem ever threepeating, let alone as the singular overwhelming force. Those are the only two who could give him a run for his money in the category of GOAT Laker, but they always had each other in their title runs. Shaq had to win with K:lolbe on his team.

They never 3peated because they played the Sixers Celtics and Pistons in the Finals

Not the level of adversity Shaq and Kobe faced in the Finals

racm
08-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Well deserved

still :lmao at the Lakers retiring a former Celtic

whitemamba
08-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Well deserved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEh-rBfFn6o

Venti Quattro
08-31-2012, 12:34 AM

:lmao Bruce Bowen
:lmao Avery Johnson

TDMVPDPOY
08-31-2012, 12:47 AM
after this

producers in LA are hoping to get d12 to make reboots of shaqs movies

Koolaid_Man
08-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Well deserved

Lol Kobie

why I don't get it...why lol? two things going on here...my sources tell me the move was done for 3 reasons....

1.) To shut Shaq's fat ass up so that he's not pestering and badgering Dwight all season long by being childish and petulant.

2.) To show Dwight they value their big men...not that they weren't going to do it anyways but it's more a play on Dwight's mind. Same reason CAP is getting a statue soon..think it's a coincidence..:lol

3.) They're sending a clear signal to Kobe that what awaits him will be much bigger than retiring a Jersey...Kobe will not only get a bigger statue nestled in between Magic and Kareem's but he'll also get 15% ownership stake in the Laker organization.

My sources have confirmed it :toast

scanry
08-31-2012, 06:33 AM
why I don't get it...why lol? two things going on here...my sources tell me the move was done for 3 reasons....

1.) To shut Shaq's fat ass up so that he's not pestering and badgering Dwight all season long by being childish and petulant.

2.) To show Dwight they value their big men...not that they weren't going to do it anyways but it's more a play on Dwight's mind. Same reason CAP is getting a statue soon..think it's a coincidence..:lol

3.) They're sending a clear signal to Kobe that what awaits him will be much bigger than retiring a Jersey...Kobe will not only get a bigger statue nestled in between Magic and Kareem's but he'll also get 15% ownership stake in the Laker organization.

My sources have confirmed it :toast

Don't see Kobe as an owner type player. Kobe is more like Dr. J and unlike Shaq, he'll move away from the spotlight after he retires.

CavsSuperFan
08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Omar the tent maker was commissioned to make a life size Shaq jersey…Thing must be huge!

druggas
08-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Greatest Laker of all time is Jerry West.

Most dominate center of all time is Wilt.

Thought this needed clearing up.

The Gemini Method
08-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Well-deserved for the riches he afforded us in his time here--would've been better if had a better work ethic and worried more about staying on top and working on being there than just simply proclaiming it. Very classy move by the F.O. to honor the Big Aristotle...

Can't spell cLAssy without the L.A. :cry

lefty
08-31-2012, 12:39 PM
:lmao Bruce Bowen
:lmao Avery Johnson
Well, if you combine them into 1 player, you could have a legend :cry

scanry
08-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Well, if you combine them into 1 player, you could have a legend :cry

Retiring AJ's jersey was an embassment not just to the Spurs but to the NBA.

The only players/coaches the Spurs should have em up the rafters are

1. Gervin
2. Robinson
3. Duncan
4. Manu
5. Tony
6. Pop

You only retire NBA HOFer jerseys, no one else. Atleast the Celtics, Lakers & the Bulls set the standard.

Koolaid_Man
08-31-2012, 12:59 PM

not true at all....

Wilt vs. Shaq 1 on 1 - Shaq would have creamed Wilt like corn..Wilt too light in the ass for Shaq... Wilt was dominant against his inferior era of little white guys but Shaq would have ate him for lunch...

West vs. Kobe 1 on 1 - Kobe would have torn West a new asshole. If the self professed Kobe stopper, Rueben Patterson couldn't fuck with Kobe..West wouldn't have a prayer...Bruce Bowen who I maintained was the one of the greatest defensive players of our era got treated like a step child by Kobe...all these dudes that only made it to the league to defend Kobe failed miserably..Jerry West wouldn't have stood a chance...not even close.

Sportcamper
08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Wilt vs. Shaq 1 on 1 Shaq would have creamed Wilt like corn..Wilt too light in the ass for Shaq... Wilt was dominant against his inferior era of little white guys but Shaq would have ate him for lunch...

I am willing to bet that you have never seen Wilt play…Wilt was an athlete, a track star…Wilt out ran everybody on the team in wind sprints…Wilt played every minute of every game…Wilt never fouled out of a game…Wilt was a gym rat pushing 280 lbs of pure muscle…If you can find it there was a clip of Big Bob Lanier trying to box out Wilt, Wilt just shoved him aside with the back of his forearm…

Dont get me started on Logo's superior defensive skilzs...

LkrFan
08-31-2012, 04:17 PM

If you combine Logo's career as a player and Laker GM, then I'd tend to agree with you. As players solely? Then Kobe >> Logo.

Wilt's numbers are staggering. Many of his records will never be broken. He was a bad dude. However, if fully in shape, Shaq would have put up those numbers if he played back then. For Shaq that's a big if though (pun intended).

Koolaid_Man
08-31-2012, 04:31 PM
I am willing to bet that you have never seen Wilt play…Wilt was an athlete, a track star…Wilt out ran everybody on the team in wind sprints…Wilt played every minute of every game…Wilt never fouled out of a game…Wilt was a gym rat pushing 280 lbs of pure muscle…If you can find it there was a clip of Big Bob Lanier trying to box out Wilt, Wilt just shoved him aside with the back of his forearm…

Dont get me started on Logo's superior defensive skilzs...

you're right..I wasn't even a thought in my daddy's wet dream back then..so no I didn't see him play...but i know this..Shaq was 7'0 and 360 :lol he would have crushed Wilt...a prime Shaq wasn't meant to be fucked with...I don't even think Wilt was better than Hakeem in my opinion...skill wise Hakeem would have eaten Wilt for lunch...that was a cold ass African...

By all accounts Wilt was very good I just don't see him scoring like that on a prime Shaq from 1998 to 2002..what would Wilt have done if Shaq hit him with an Elbow..would he have fought back...

Sportcamper
08-31-2012, 05:13 PM
You don’t understand…Wilt was a gentle giant who never fouled out…Let Wilt bull, bash & elbow like Shaq did & Wilt would be a terror…Jack Ramsey did an article on this subject & felt that Wilt would give Shaq all he could handle…And what would happen when Shaq needed his rest? Wilt left one on one with Travis Knight, Slava or Samaki? Get real…Wilt was the badest dude on the planet…Physically Fit unto his last day on earth…

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/images/nba/1999/chamberlain/wilt7.jpg

Latarian Milton
08-31-2012, 06:26 PM
dude's a lakers legend he spent his best years in LA and it's well deserved honor for him to have his #34 retired at Staples center. we should also retire his #32 in miami as well for his tremendous contributions to our team, he won us a title in 06 IIRC tho not winnin' da MVP trophy himself

Stalin
08-31-2012, 08:31 PM

Koolaid_Man
08-31-2012, 08:51 PM
You don’t understand…Wilt was a gentle giant who never fouled out…Let Wilt bull, bash & elbow like Shaq did & Wilt would be a terror…Jack Ramsey did an article on this subject & felt that Wilt would give Shaq all he could handle…And what would happen when Shaq needed his rest? Wilt left one on one with Travis Knight, Slava or Samaki? Get real…Wilt was the badest dude on the planet…Physically Fit unto his last day on earth…

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/images/nba/1999/chamberlain/wilt7.jpg

Just given the era Wilt played in I'm gonna have to roll with Shaq on this one...but Wilt repped the P-N-G so I have nothing bad to say about him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX1e1Y77fZI

gaKNOW!blee
08-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Lol 3 finals MVP

lefty
09-01-2012, 12:01 AM
If you combine Logo's career as a player and Laker GM, then I'd tend to agree with you. As players solely? Then Kobe >> Logo.

Wilt's numbers are staggering. Many of his records will never be broken. He was a bad dude. However, if fully in shape, Shaq would have put up those numbers if he played back then. For Shaq that's a big if though (pun intended).

West was more clutch
West was one of the best scorers AND passers
He would have had more titles if not for that great Celtics team

racm
09-01-2012, 01:01 AM
West was the prototype for the combo guard, a guy who could score AND set up.

him, Baylor, and Wilt were the first big 3.

Latarian Milton
09-01-2012, 02:11 AM
^ oscar robertson disagrees imho, he's still the all-time record holder of triple doubles and i don't think he should be strictly defined as a PG, SG or SF.

racm
09-01-2012, 02:44 AM
The Big O was the prototype for big PGs such as Magic and LeBron, actually.

FkLA
09-01-2012, 03:12 AM
West is a honkey. No way could he have beat Kome in a one on one game.

scanry
09-01-2012, 03:57 AM
West is a honkey. No way could he have beat Kome in a one on one game.

I want to say West is overrated, but West was the only obstacle between the Celtics and the :lobt: and he sure as hell gave it a fight.

The logo however is overrated as a GM/VP though. How'd that stint with Mem & GS go?

LkrFan
09-01-2012, 04:16 AM
I want to say West is overrated, but West was the only obstacle between the Celtics and the :lobt: and he sure as hell gave it a fight.

The logo however is overrated as a GM/VP though. How'd that stint with Mem & GS go?

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

:flag:

100%duncan
09-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Grats.

scanry
09-01-2012, 03:01 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

:flag:

With the Lakers marketability, even an average GM can pull off blockbuster trades. That's what happens when you have celebs waiting in line to buy season tickets and floor seats for 3 grand.

I'll agree that the Lakers have always spent money wisely.

tenbeersbold
09-01-2012, 05:09 PM
F Shack,if the dude had been fairly called for 3 second violations and offensive fouls(especially in the low post,where he just basically ran over people for years) he'd be just another player

Dude had no footwork and no shot to speak of.
Basically he was a genetic freak of nature that was allowed to run riot over the NBA.
Glad him and his immature comedy act have hit the road,worst of the NBA in my book!

SenorSpur
09-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Shaq has always been a jealous, petty, immature asshole, complete with a cartoon mind. As a matter of fact, he's still that way today. Yet no one can knock his skills or his accomplishments in a Fakers jersey. Despite his bitter departure from the Fakers, this honor is well-deserved.

BRHornet45
09-04-2012, 02:38 PM
good he deserves it. dude damn near single handedly brought three NBA titles to them. without him they never would have won any of those three. well deserved.

BlackSwordsMan
09-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Wow so they wait for him to die and then they retired his jersey?
Classy lakers :toast

ambchang
09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Shaq's Lakers were one of the rare title teams since the late 80's/early 90's that were average defensively, and the sole reason is because of how dominant it was on offense. For this alone, Shaq deserves to have his jersey retired no matter how many bridges he burned with the Lakers franchise.

The offense was based on the mid 90's Rockets of surrounding a dominant big man (Hakeem/Shaq) with a bunch of 3 pt shooters (Smith, Cassell, Horry/ Fox, Horry, Fisher), and a slasher (Drexler, Kobe), but the Shaq offense was more dominant than the Hakeem offense due to a few reasons:
1) Shaq draws the defense in deeper into the paint, because his game was 5 feet in, whereas Hakeem's game was more 12 feet in. This allows more room and time for the three point shooters to launch their shots.
2) The defensive rules have changed so much, especially those around perimeter defense. It is much easier to drive into the lane in the early 00s than the mid 90s, making the slasher's job much easier
3) There are simply more 3 pt shooter in the 00s than the mid 90s. After the Hakeem Rockets, teams look to have more three point shooters, and teams/players concentrate on that aspect. More/higher accuracy three point shooters lead to higher yield on an inside out offense, and make double/tripling the dominant big man much harder
4) Longer 3 pt line. The shorter three point line in the mid 90s was a disaster, as it killed any spacing on offense. It favours quick shooting three point shooters (Smith, Cassell) and tall shooting big men who can shoot over the top of others (Horry, Chilchutt), but significantly reduces the effectiveness of the 3 overall. Having a long three point line just allows even three point shooters with a slower release to be effective as well.

In other words, did Shaq single-handedly won those three titles? No, not really, because teams win titles, not individuals. That said, all of those Lakers could have been reasonably replaced by other players in that era, and the Lakers would still be as dominant, except Shaq. Replace Shaq with any other person in that era, and the Lakers will not be as dominant (No, Duncan could not have led the Lakers to 15-1, the Lakers may still have won 3 in a row with Duncan instead of Shaq, but the Lakers will not be as dominant imo). The only players who I felt could have replaced Shaq in those early 00 teams, and the Lakers would have been just as dominant, would have been a prime Wilt, and that is only a maybe.

z0sa
09-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Cheers to the uncontested 2000, 2001, and 2002 Finals MVP!

Donkeybong
09-08-2012, 02:15 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3qto28.jpg