PDA

View Full Version : Eastwood's Speech

LnGrrrR
08-30-2012, 11:09 PM
What did you think of it? I thought it was rambling and slightly incoherent... but it was at least honest, and he didn't demonize the competition.

Although I thought it hilarious that some people applauded his "why can't we just leave Afghanistan" line. Since when are the Republicans the anti-war party?

SnakeBoy
08-30-2012, 11:35 PM
What did you think of it? I thought it was rambling and slightly incoherent... but it was at least honest, and he didn't demonize the competition.

I thought it was entertaining and yes somewhat incoherent. Eastwood is more of a libertarian so somewhat incoherent is to be expected.

I did just hear Chris Mathews trying to imply that when he said "you..we own this country" it was code for white people...lol

Although I thought it hilarious that some people applauded his "why can't we just leave Afghanistan" line. Since when are the Republicans the anti-war party?

The last poll I saw somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% of republicans think it's time to leave Afghanistan...shame it's taken them this long to figure that out.

angrydude
08-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Eastwood has earned the right to do whatever he wants in life. I thought he did pretty good for an old man who doesn't give political speeches and obviously has a nuanced political ideology.

Gold Tooth Carl
08-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Funny. Eastwood was in a super bowl ad blasting rpublicans

baseline bum
For all the bitching Republicans do about celebrities getting involved in politics, hilarious for them to have an actor giving a speech at their convention.

Trainwreck2100

It's the tea partiers that want to keep policing the world tbqh.

LnGrrrR
08-30-2012, 11:48 PM
The last poll I saw somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% of republicans think it's time to leave Afghanistan...shame it's taken them this long to figure that out.

Weren't Republicans the one saying that Bush couldn't give a timeline of when they were pulling out of Iraq, because then terrorists would just wait us out?

InRareForm
08-30-2012, 11:52 PM
what a joke

possessed
08-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Should be a stark contrast to Richard Simmons' speech at the upcoming Dem convention.

Capt Bringdown
08-31-2012, 01:07 AM
Babies and old people can get cranky with a full diaper.

ElNono
08-31-2012, 01:20 AM
As incoherent as he was at times, I thought he was genuine, something I can't say about everybody speaking afterwards... then again, he's not a politician.

Jacob1983
08-31-2012, 01:25 AM
The Chinese are making the Jazzies you ride at Disney World because you're too fat to walk. Chrysler.

mercos
08-31-2012, 01:31 AM
It was very weird, like what you would expect from Biden about 20 years from now.

TDMVPDPOY
08-31-2012, 02:20 AM
+20m unemployed equates to abouut 10% of the population, dunno whats the unemployment rate, but what does he see could fix the problem?

if u compare the current situation with the other broke ass countries like spain, italy, greece, ireland...they too are hovering around the 10% unemployment with no where in site gettin any better...expecting obama to fix things lmao, 16t in debt, senate wont give him noney to spend, but are happy for any form of tax cuts....

The Reckoning
08-31-2012, 02:54 AM
+20m unemployed equates to abouut 10% of the population, dunno whats the unemployment rate, but what does he see could fix the problem?

if u compare the current situation with the other broke ass countries like spain, italy, greece, ireland...they too are hovering around the 10% unemployment with no where in site gettin any better...expecting obama to fix things lmao, 16t in debt, senate wont give him noney to spend, but are happy for any form of tax cuts....

sup australia. how's that people-smuggling issue going for you?

Wild Cobra
08-31-2012, 03:32 AM

Maybe because under Obama, there is no longer progress there? Just a thought...

boutons_deux
08-31-2012, 05:17 AM
60% of republicans think it's time to leave Afghanistan.

If HUSSEIN left Afghanistan, the Repug hate machine would scream like hell.

If it were Gecko President, the Repugs would poll for staying 100 years in Afghanistan and Iraq, AND be for Gecko's neocon MIC moles bombing Iran.

spursncowboys
08-31-2012, 05:18 AM

George Will has been against the war for a while

boutons_deux
08-31-2012, 05:37 AM

How is Obama holding back success in Afghanistan?

And why couldn't your heros dubya and dickhead get the job done in 2001 - 2008 before leaving that pile of shit on Obama's desk?

ploto
08-31-2012, 06:42 AM
Embarrassing

A lot of people only watch the last night to see the nominee and they turned on network coverage and this is what they saw.

elbamba
08-31-2012, 08:14 AM
It looked like it was adlibbed and that might explain the stuttering. The man is like 100 so I can forgive him for that. I liked the Olympic speakers better. I also thought Bush gave a solid speech on education. I enjoyed part of Rubio but fast forwarded the last five minutes or so. I thought Romney gave a good convention speech.

Overall I was satisfied with this convention. The GOP sure has a lot of minority young blood and I think that was the point of the convention, roll out new faces and a new look to the party. Romney represents a bit of the old school but not being a lifetime politician helps break that mold.

I am excited to see the Demacrat convention next week.

CosmicCowboy
08-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Damn...buncha haters in here.

what a surprise.

djohn2oo8
08-31-2012, 08:40 AM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561103_490288577663161_1049912493_n.jpg

boutons_deux
08-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Damn...buncha haters in here.

what a surprise.

I've really grown to like Clint and his movies over the years, but last night, he was a bumbling, confused old man way, way past his mental and physical prime, talking about an empty chair.

But I guess the wanna-be red-state machos (fat, diseased greasebags, most of them) think they are badass, virile, above-the-law Harry Callahans.

Sportcamper
08-31-2012, 08:58 AM
LnGrrrR- Clint is 82 years old...I think he did fine…His best line was interrupted by the nut in the audience…

Clint Politicians are our employees... When someone does not do the job, you have got to let them go." …

The whack yells out make my day…Should have been a pause & applauds instead…

101A
08-31-2012, 08:58 AM
I just re-watched the speach.

Still don't see it as bumbling at all. Ad libbed, yep - off the cuff; but pretty honest and refreshing (I think he had to catch himself at times from including the previous administration in his jabs). Didn't totally though; took a shot at even going into Afghanistan in the first place.

I guess y'all see what you want to see.

Wild Cobra
08-31-2012, 09:03 AM
I liked it when he repeated Obama telling him to shut up. I didn't see much after that and I'll bet there were more funny moments.

CosmicCowboy
08-31-2012, 09:05 AM
The inference was a little more graphic than that.

CosmicCowboy
08-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Transcript of Eastwoods speech/dialog with chair:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...d89_story.html

EASTWOOD: Thank you very much. Thank you. Thank you very much. Save a little for Mitt.

(APPLAUSE) I know what you are thinking. You are thinking, what’s a movie tradesman doing out here? You know they are all left wingers out there, left of Lenin. At least that is what people think. That is not really the case. There are a lot of conservative people, a lot of moderate people, Republicans, Democrats, in Hollywood. It is just that the conservative people by the nature of the word itself play closer to the vest. They do not go around hot dogging it.

(APPLAUSE)

So -- but they are there, believe me, they are there. I just think, in fact, some of them around town, I saw Jon Voight, a lot of people around.

(APPLAUSE)

Jon’s here, an academy award winner. A terrific guy. These people are all like-minded, like all of us.

So I -- so I’ve got Mr. Obama sitting here. And he’s -- I was going to ask him a couple of questions. But -- you know about -- I remember three and a half years ago, when Mr. Obama won the election. And though I was not a big supporter, I was watching that night when he was having that thing and they were talking about hope and change and they were talking about, yes we can, and it was dark outdoors, and it was nice, and people were lighting candles.

They were saying, I just thought, this was great. Everybody is trying, Oprah was crying.

(LAUGHTER)

EASTWOOD: I was even crying. And then finally -- and I haven’t cried that hard since I found out that there is 23 million unemployed people in this country.

(APPLAUSE)

Now that is something to cry for because that is a disgrace, a national disgrace, and we haven’t done enough, obviously -- this administration hasn’t done enough to cure that. Whenever interest they have is not strong enough, and I think possibly now it may be time for somebody else to come along and solve the problem.

(APPLAUSE)

So, Mr. President, how do you handle promises that you have made when you were running for election, and how do you handle them?

I mean, what do you say to people? Do you just -- you know -- I know -- people were wondering -- you don’t -- handle that OK. Well, I know even people in your own party were very disappointed when you didn’t close Gitmo. And I thought, well closing Gitmo -- why close that, we spent so much money on it. But, I thought maybe as an excuse -- what do you mean shut up?

(LAUGHTER)

OK, I thought maybe it was just because somebody had the stupid idea of trying terrorists in downtown New York City.

(APPLAUSE)

I’ve got to to hand it to you. I have to give credit where credit is due. You did finally overrule that finally. And that’s -- now we are moving onward. I know you were against the war in Iraq, and that’s okay. But you thought the war in Afghanistan was OK. You know, I mean -- you thought that was something worth doing. We didn’t check with the Russians to see how did it -- they did there for 10 years.

(APPLAUSE)
But we did it, and it is something to be thought about, and I think that, when we get to maybe -- I think you’ve mentioned something about having a target date for bringing everybody home. You gave that target date, and I think Mr. Romney asked the only sensible question, you know, he says, “Why are you giving the date out now? Why don’t you just bring them home tomorrow morning?”

(APPLAUSE)
And I thought -- I thought, yeah -- I am not going to shut up, it is my turn.

(LAUGHTER)

So anyway, we’re going to have -- we’re going to have to have a little chat about that. And then, I just wondered, all these promises -- I wondered about when the -- what do you want me to tell Romney? I can’t tell him to do that. I can’t tell him to do that to himself.

(APPLAUSE)

You’re crazy, you’re absolutely crazy. You’re getting as bad as Biden.

(APPLAUSE)

Of course we all now Biden is the intellect of the Democratic party.

(LAUGHTER)

Kind of a grin with a body behind it.

(LAUGHTER)

But I just think that there is so much to be done, and I think that Mr. Romney and Mr. Ryan are two guys that can come along. See, I never thought it was a good idea for attorneys to the president, anyway.

(APPLAUSE)

I think attorneys are so busy -- you know they’re always taught to argue everything, and always weight everything -- weigh both sides...

MORE

(INSERT ZACH)

*** I think attorneys are so busy -- you know they’re always taught to argue everything, always weigh everything, weigh both sides.

EASTWOOD: They are always devil’s advocating this and bifurcating this and bifurcating that. You know all that stuff. But, I think it is maybe time -- what do you think -- for maybe a businessman. How about that?

(APPLAUSE)

A stellar businessman. Quote, unquote, “a stellar businessman.”

And I think it’s that time. And I think if you just step aside and Mr. Romney can kind of take over. You can maybe still use a plane.

(APPLAUSE)

Though maybe a smaller one. Not that big gas guzzler you are going around to colleges and talking about student loans and stuff like that.

(APPLAUSE)

You are an -- an ecological man. Why would you want to drive that around?

OK, well anyway. All right, I’m sorry. I can’t do that to myself either.

(APPLAUSE)

I would just like to say something, ladies and gentlemen. Something that I think is very important. It is that, you, we -- we own this country.

(APPLAUSE)

We -- we own it. It is not you owning it, and not politicians owning it. Politicians are employees of ours.

(APPLAUSE)

And -- so -- they are just going to come around and beg for votes every few years. It is the same old deal. But I just think it is important that you realize , that you’re the best in the world. Whether you are a Democrat or Republican or whether you’re libertarian or whatever, you are the best. And we should not ever forget that. And when somebody does not do the job, we got to let them go.

(APPLAUSE)

Okay, just remember that. And I’m speaking out for everybody out there. It doesn’t hurt, we don’t have to be

(AUDIENCE MEMBER): (inaudible)

(LAUGHTER)

I do not say that word anymore. Well, maybe one last time.

(LAUGHTER)

We don’t have to be -- what I’m saying, we do not have to be metal (ph) masochists and vote for somebody that we don’t really even want in office just because they seem to be nice guys or maybe not so nice guys, if you look at some of the recent ads going out there, I don’t know.

(APPLAUSE)

But OK. You want to make my day?

(APPLAUSE)

All right. I started, you finish it. Go ahead.

AUDIENCE: Make my day!

EASTWOOD: Thank you. Thank you very much

Drachen
08-31-2012, 10:29 AM
http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/g/g/4/old-man-yells-at-chair.jpg

TeyshaBlue
08-31-2012, 10:37 AM
:lol

clambake
08-31-2012, 10:42 AM
a few years ago, a certain eskimo lady called it "the white flag of surrender"......and republicans fell all over themselves cheering.

Spurminator
08-31-2012, 10:49 AM

:lmao

LnGrrrR
08-31-2012, 11:06 AM

Do you agree with Clint that there shouldn't be an orderly evacuation? And I don't see how much "progress" we were making before...

LnGrrrR
08-31-2012, 11:08 AM
I just re-watched the speach.

Still don't see it as bumbling at all. Ad libbed, yep - off the cuff; but pretty honest and refreshing (I think he had to catch himself at times from including the previous administration in his jabs). Didn't totally though; took a shot at even going into Afghanistan in the first place.

I guess y'all see what you want to see.

I was amazed people applauded that 101A. Like... uhm people, you realize that Russian jab meant we shouldn't have gotten involved at all, right? :lol

Drachen
08-31-2012, 11:49 AM
I think my problem with it was he had a bit of a slur and I totally didn't catch that he was supposed to be talking to Obama. during most of his skit I kept thinking "who is this ride person in the crowd who keeps interrupting him and why doesn't Clint ignore him?

scott
08-31-2012, 12:27 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/31/1126187/-Eastwood-Punks-Romney

ElNono
08-31-2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/31/1126187/-Eastwood-Punks-Romney

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1359/twitter10a.jpg

Yonivore
08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
I thought it was a bit odd too. More like a stand up routine than a convention speech. But, he did touch on some good themes, if only it hadn't been while portraying the crazy, senile, old uncle. But, oh well, it was what it was.

Since Obama abandoned any sincere effort to prosecute the war. Now he's just leaving our soldiers there to be shot in the back.

Yonivore
08-31-2012, 12:34 PM
For all the bitching Republicans do about celebrities getting involved in politics, hilarious for them to have an actor giving a speech at their convention.
Ronald Reagan was an actor and Clint Eastwood was a politician (Mayor of Carmel, California).

CosmicCowboy
08-31-2012, 12:35 PM
I actually thought it was pretty funny. The media outrage that he had the audacity to poke fun at the President is even funnier.

Yonivore
08-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Weren't Republicans the one saying that Bush couldn't give a timeline of when they were pulling out of Iraq, because then terrorists would just wait us out?
That's why Eastwood questioned the rationale of giving a timeline -- why not just pull them out tomorrow, if you're going to pull them out.

And, yes, giving a timeline does cause your enemies to just wait you out. So, if you're not going to fight the war bring our soldiers home.

ElNono
08-31-2012, 12:38 PM
He definitely was the only one that didn't look like a drone out there...

Yonivore
08-31-2012, 12:56 PM
It was very weird, like what you would expect from Biden about 20 years from now.
How 'bout 20 minutes from now.

boutons_deux
08-31-2012, 12:59 PM
:lol :lol

After a Gunslinger Cuts Loose, Romney Aides Take Cover

Clint Eastwood's rambling and off-color endorsement of Mitt Romney on Thursday seemed to startle and unsettle even the candidate's own top aides, several of whom made a point of distancing themselves from the decision to put him onstage without a polished script.

"Not me," said an exasperated-looking senior adviser, when asked who was responsible for Mr. Eastwood's speech. In late-night interviews, aides variously called the speech "strange" and "weird." One described it as "theater of the absurd."

Finger-pointing quickly ensued, suggesting real displeasure and even confusion over the handling of Mr. Eastwood's performance, which was kept secret until the last minute.

A senior Republican involved in convention planning said that Mr. Eastwood's appearance was cleared by at least two of Mr. Romney's top advisers, Russ Schriefer and Stuart Stevens. This person said that there had been no rehearsal, to the surprise of the rest of the campaign team.

But another adviser said that several top aides had reviewed talking points given to Mr. Eastwood, which the campaign had discussed with the actor as recently as a few hours before his appearance. Mr. Eastwood, however, delivered those points in a theatrical, and at times crass, way that caught Romney aides off guard, this person said.

Mr. Stevens, in an interview, said he would not discuss internal decision making but described Mr. Eastwood's remarks as improvised.

"He spoke from the heart with a classic improv sketch which everyone at the convention loved," Mr. Stevens said.

He called it "an honor that a great American icon would come and talk about the failure of the current president and the promise of the future one." :lol

Mr. Eastwood delivered one of the more unusual moments in Republican convention history - a speech in which he pretended to have a sarcasm-filled conversation with President Obama sitting by his side in an empty chair.

"Mr. President, how do you handle promises that you made when you were running for election?" the onetime Dirty Harry said, mumbling to a befuddled crowd of thousands in the convention hall and millions of television viewers.

As thousands of "OMG!" tweets started flying, Mr. Eastwood, 82, asked the invisible Mr. Obama why he had not closed the prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.

"What do you mean, shut up?" he said, continuing to talk to his imaginary companion. A moment later, he stopped again, saying, "What do you want me to tell Mr. Romney?"

"I can't tell him that. He can't do that to himself," Mr. Eastwood said. "You're getting as bad as Biden."

Mr. Eastwood was scheduled to speak for about five minutes but stayed onstage much longer, throwing off the schedule for Mr. Romney, a stickler against tardiness.

Aides said Mr. Eastwood does not like teleprompters and was trusted to deliver an on-message endorsement.

"He made a last-minute decision to ad-lib, and I don't think people knew," said Ari Fleischer, a former adviser to George W. Bush, who said he had spoken with people involved in planning the convention.

Two aides said that Mr. Eastwood had been booked weeks ago and that the expectation was that he would deliver a more standard endorsement, as he did earlier this year in Sun Valley, Idaho.

After that endorsement, Mr. Romney himself asked Mr. Eastwood to come to the convention, one of these people said.

As they hopped from party to party late Thursday and early Friday, celebrating the end of the Republican convention, Romney advisers tried gamely to find an upside. Several said that the Eastwood appearance offered a moment of improvisation in a convention that was otherwise surprise-free.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/09/01/us/politics/romney-aides-scratch-their-heads-over-eastwoods-speech.xml?f=19

Yonivore
08-31-2012, 01:00 PM
It looked like it was adlibbed and that might explain the stuttering. The man is like 100 so I can forgive him for that. I liked the Olympic speakers better. I also thought Bush gave a solid speech on education. I enjoyed part of Rubio but fast forwarded the last five minutes or so. I thought Romney gave a good convention speech.
Agreed. Although, Rubio writes his own stuff and only used the teleprompter because he didn't want to screw up. Usually, his speeches are extemporaneous. I enjoyed his and Bush's speech. I think Romney gave the speech he needed to give for independents and fence-sitters. Republicans are already voting for him. We'll see if he gets a bounce from it.

Overall I was satisfied with this convention. The GOP sure has a lot of minority young blood and I think that was the point of the convention, roll out new faces and a new look to the party. Romney represents a bit of the old school but not being a lifetime politician helps break that mold.
The GOP bench is deep and diverse going into the future.

I am excited to see the Demacrat convention next week.
I'm kind of looking forward to it myself.

SnakeBoy
08-31-2012, 02:18 PM
I actually thought it was pretty funny. The media outrage that he had the audacity to poke fun at the President is even funnier.

Yeah the crazy liberal reaction to it has made me change my mind from thinking it was just entertaining to thinking it was brilliant. Chris Mathews is claiming it was racist, Obama himself responded to a comedy routine, the MSM is "fact checking" it...freaking hilarious. Best of all the crazed obamabots are going all out attacking an american icon.

Clipper Nation
08-31-2012, 02:19 PM
:rollin

ElNono
08-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Yeah the crazy liberal reaction to it has made me change my mind from thinking it was just entertaining to thinking it was brilliant. Chris Mathews is claiming it was racist, Obama himself responded to a comedy routine, the MSM is "fact checking" it...freaking hilarious. Best of all the crazed obamabots are going all out attacking an american icon.

Works for the libs too... another distraction and they get to talk about a guy that's not even running...

boutons_deux
08-31-2012, 02:23 PM

Clint isn't a icon for his Repug convention speechmaking. :lol

Nobody forced him up there, into a political trashing session, so, if he's a Real Man (and not just ACTING like one), then he should be able to take the pushback.

TeyshaBlue
08-31-2012, 02:27 PM
I imagine Eastwood's just laughing at the pushback.

SnakeBoy
08-31-2012, 02:32 PM

I'm sure he is. I would love to see him take the act on tour following Obama around on the campaign trail.

Reck
08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
It was akward.

More nails in the coffin for Romney.

boutons_deux
08-31-2012, 04:19 PM

TB :lol

TeyshaBlue
08-31-2012, 04:27 PM
TB :lol

Really?

DMX7
08-31-2012, 08:46 PM
I had to change the channel it was so uncomfortable watching him stutter in his conversation with the empty chair.

DarrinS
08-31-2012, 09:22 PM
I don't care what artists or actors have to say, even if they are conservative. It was strange and unnecessary.

Luckily, Rubio hit it out of the park right after that.

Wild Cobra
08-31-2012, 09:25 PM
I don't care what artists or actors have to say, even if they are conservative. It was strange and unnecessary.

I agree that the entertainment industry should stay out of politics, that is within the public eye. I hate to say it, but it does look like Clint was having a senior moment as well.

ElNono
08-31-2012, 09:33 PM

Rubio was a snorefest, IMO. Your typical pre-packaged politico discourse. I watched the first 5 mins, and I didn't even think he believed what he was saying. Tuned him out until Mitt came in with his own pre-packaged product.

DarrinS
08-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Rubio was a snorefest, IMO. Your typical pre-packaged politico discourse. I watched the first 5 mins, and I didn't even think he believed what he was saying. Tuned him out until Mitt came in with his own pre-packaged product.

You are entitled to your opinion

z0sa
08-31-2012, 09:51 PM
I loved that shit. I'm a big Clint fan though admittedly.

ElNono
08-31-2012, 10:53 PM
You are entitled to your opinion

Don't get me wrong... you get that from politicos of all colors...

What Clint said might not (or should not) matter, and he might've babbled here or there, but the guy wasn't talking with a filter, a leash or the teleprompter...

Wild Cobra
08-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Don't get me wrong... you get that from politicos of all colors...

What Clint said might not (or should not) matter, and he might've babbled here or there, but the guy wasn't talking with a filter, a leash or the teleprompter...
i think he did great for someone who appears to have "senior moments."

LnGrrrR
08-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Since Obama abandoned any sincere effort to prosecute the war. Now he's just leaving our soldiers there to be shot in the back.

If that was how Clint saw it, I doubt he would've made that Russian jab.

Wild Cobra
08-31-2012, 11:31 PM
If that was how Clint saw it, I doubt he would've made that Russian jab.
I missed that, I guess I need to read the whole transcript. My first thought is that he was referring to the inability of the Russians to take Afghanistan. Could that be what he meant? I think all people a generation or so older than you remember the Soviets trouble when they were there.

LnGrrrR
08-31-2012, 11:36 PM
I missed that, I guess I need to read the whole transcript. My first thought is that he was referring to the inability of the Russians to take Afghanistan. Could that be what he meant? I think all people a generation or so older than you remember the Soviets trouble when they were there.

Yes, that's what he's referring to I assume. I'm guessing Clint is an isolationist kind of Republican.

I’ve got to to hand it to you. I have to give credit where credit is due. You did finally overrule that finally. And that’s -- now we are moving onward. I know you were against the war in Iraq, and that’s okay. But you thought the war in Afghanistan was OK. You know, I mean -- you thought that was something worth doing. We didn’t check with the Russians to see how did it -- they did there for 10 years.

That doesn't sound like someone who's gungho about being in Afghanistan.

baseline bum
08-31-2012, 11:46 PM
I can't believe anyone can watch these circle-jerks and think anyone hit it out of the park. Everyone in the audience looks so fake when they're cheering for their jackass.

SnakeBoy
09-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Yes, that's what he's referring to I assume. I'm guessing Clint is an isolationist kind of Republican.

I'm not sure there is such a thing. Many of us conservatives/republicans are non interventionist or at least far less interventionist than the neocons. That's not the same as isolationism. As for Clint Eastwood...

GQ: Yeah, but maybe between the movies you have some political feelings. [to Eastwood] You've described yourself as a social libertarian. What does that mean to you?

Clint Eastwood: I was an Eisenhower Republican when I started out at 21, because he promised to get us out of the Korean War. And over the years, I realized there was a Republican philosophy that I liked. And then they lost it. And libertarians had more of it. Because what I really believe is, Let's spend a little more time leaving everybody alone. These people who are making a big deal out of gay marriage? I don't give a fuck about who wants to get married to anybody else! Why not?! We're making a big deal out of things we shouldn't be making a deal out of.

LnGrrrR
09-01-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure there is such a thing. Many of us conservatives/republicans are non interventionist or at least far less interventionist than the neocons. That's not the same as isolationism. As for Clint Eastwood...

That works too Snake. I guess you could say that he's a "Let's not start wars in every country in the Middle East" republican. Making him a rarity. :lol

Clipper Nation
09-01-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm still incredulous that they let Clint Eastwood mumble at a chair for 10 minutes but they wouldn't let Ron Paul educate the neocons on some real shit, tbh....

ElNono
09-01-2012, 01:00 AM
I'm still incredulous that they let Clint Eastwood mumble at a chair for 10 minutes but they wouldn't let Ron Paul educate the neocons on some real shit, tbh....

tbh, it's probably because they don't care about a sore loser...

SnakeBoy
09-01-2012, 01:26 AM

Exactly! That's why Ron Paul is a self serving asshole. He claims he wants to move the his party in the libertarian direction, he makes some progress and then refuses to play ball and tells his supporters not to support HIS own party because he's a sore loser. Then these idiot paulbots cry when the party gives them a big "fuck you!"

Jacob1983
09-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Chrysler

ALVAREZ6
09-01-2012, 10:14 AM
It was stupid, and it's pathetic that it's gotten to the point where we have one of the 2 massive national political parties having a famous Hollywood actor give a speech, whoring his popularity. The whole idea of a convention is just stupid to me; it's each party blowing each other and showering the audience in cum with a bunch of nothing. I didn't hear much of any real political talk that night, it was a bunch of "USA is the greatest nation ever and we Americans are the best ever and God bless America and God is great and we deserve better because...well....we're Americans."

BRHornet45
09-01-2012, 02:02 PM

no its just refreshing when you see someone in Hollywood who isn't speaking brainwashed, go-with-the-flow, political opinions. 90% of celebrities know that they have to be on the liberal side of things in order to "fit in" or advance their careers. I guarantee you that if Eastwood had done this skit at the DNC, then he would be praised and worshiped by Hollywood and the press for it and would be automatically handed another Academy Award for his next film.

Clipper Nation
09-01-2012, 02:04 PM
He's not a sore loser, he's a victim of legitimate fraud, tbh..... not to mention, according to the GOP's own damn rules, he was entitled to a speaking slot....

boutons_deux
09-01-2012, 03:18 PM
no its just refreshing when you see someone in Hollywood who isn't speaking brainwashed, go-with-the-flow, political opinions. 90% of celebrities

As Clint's President Obama would say, GFY.

Clint's not brainwashed, but clearly his brain and its connection to his mouth have seen better days.

BRHornet45
09-01-2012, 03:59 PM
As Clint's President Obama would say, GFY.

Clint's not brainwashed, but clearly his brain and its connection to his mouth have seen better days.

fack you hippie

howbouthemspurs
09-02-2012, 02:02 AM
It was embarrassing to watch! I love Clint, but he definitely acted his age here! He needs to make a Grand Torino 2 !

boutons_deux
09-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Maddow absolutely destroys the Repug convention planners who screwed up not only letting Fistful of Million Dollar Babble run his mouth unscripted and unvetted, but where he was scheduled was even a bigger mistake.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/

boutons_deux
09-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Top Ten Clint Eastwood Empty-Chair Falsehoods

1. Mr. Eastwood, you called the failure to close the Guantanamo Bay penitentiary a broken promise. President Obama was prevented from closing Guantanamo by the Republicans in Congress, which refused to allocate the funds necessary to end it. Do you remember this this Washington Post headline, “House acts to block closing of Guantanamo”?

2. Mr. Eastwood you called “stupid” the idea of trying terrorists who attacked New York in a civilian courtroom in New York. But what would have better vindicated the strengths of America’s rule of law, the thing about the US most admired abroad? Mr. Eastwood, perhaps you spent so many years playing vigilantes who just blew people away (people who in the real world we would have needed to try to establish their guilt or innocence) that you want to run our judicial system as a kangaroo court.

3. You complained that there are 23 million unemployed Americans. Actually there are 12.8 million unemployed Americans. But there are no measures by which W. created more jobs per month on average during his presidency than has Obama, and there is good reason to blame current massive unemployment on Bush’s policies of deregulating banks and other financial institutions, which caused the crash of 2008.

4. You criticized President Obama for giving a target date for withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan of 2014, and alleged that Romney said, “Why don’t you just bring them home tomorrow morning?” But George W. Bush set a target date of 31 December, 2011, for withdrawal from Iraq, and did so in negotiation with the Iraqi parliament. Was that also a bad idea? Have you considered that NATO allies and the government of President Hamid Karzai may have demanded an announced withdrawal date as a prerequisite of continued cooperation with the US there? And, just for your information, Gov. Romney hasn’t called for US troops to withdraw from Afghanistan immediately.

5. Mr. Eastwood, you made fun of Joe Biden as the ‘intellect of the Democratic Party.’ Vice President Biden was chair or ranking minority member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for decades, helped to save the Bosnian Muslims from genocide, and passed the Violence against Women Act. I haven’t always agreed with him myself, but he has been among our more thoughtful contributors to American foreign policy. You, on the other hand, like to pretend to shoot down large numbers of people over the course of a violent two-hour fantasy.

6. You criticized President Obama for ‘talking about student loans.’ The Republican Party, especially Paul Ryan, wants to take away the government-backed loans on which millions of students depend, at a time when student indebtedness is at an all-time high. Just because some people are way overpaid for play-acting doesn’t mean that ordinary people don’t need student loans to get the credentials that allow them to make a better life for themselves.

7. Mr. Eastwood, you criticized President Obama for saying he is an ‘ecological man’ but flying in Air Force One. Under President Obama, non-hydro forms of green energy in the United States have doubled from 3 percent of electricity production to 6 percent. Obama’s tax credits have been a big reason why. In contrast, Mr. Romney wants to get rid of credits for wind energy, which will hurt the Iowa economy, e.g., and is in the back pocket of Big Oil, so that he will stand in the way of green energy. I think doubling renewables rather offsets an occasional jet ride. And, it is Obama’s policies that will get us to the solar-driven airplane, not Romney’s.

8. You made fun of Obama because he has a law degree from Harvard. I just want you to sit in your empty chair for a while, and think about that.

9. You called Mr. Romney a ‘stellar businessman,’ but his business appears to have been to send American jobs to China.

10. I don’t know who suggested to you that you address us at the end and say, “Make my day,” with the implication that we should vote Romney-Ryan. But what I remember is, that phrase is a threat you are going to do bad things to us.

http://www.juancole.com/2012/09/top-ten-clint-eastwood-empty-chair-falsehoods.html

boutons_deux
09-05-2012, 04:17 PM
The bar was very low! :lol

Viewers Say Clint Eastwood Talking To A Chair Was Best Speech Of GOP Convention

A recent poll from the Pew Research Center found that not only did fewer people watch this year’s Republican National Convention than in 2008, but those that did were more impressed by 82-year-old Oscar winner Clint Eastwood than they were by Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney. According to the poll, 20 percent of viewers rated Eastwood’s bizarre speech with an empty chair as the highlight of the RNC, compared to just 17 percent that named Romney’s acceptance speech and 9 percent for Paul Ryan.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/09/05/802421/poll-viewers-say-clint-eastwood-talking-to-a-chair-was-best-speech-of-gop-convention/

DMC
09-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Clint could shit on stage, sit naked and make a sandwich with it, slowly enjoy it while using part of it as lubrication for trying to flog his flaccid tube sock penis. He would still be the best on the GOP stage. Clint is the man. The DNC is full of faggots though.

Wild Cobra
09-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Clint could shit on stage, sit naked and make a sandwich with it, slowly enjoy it while using part of it as lubrication for trying to flog his flaccid tube sock penis. He would still be the best on the GOP stage. Clint is the man. The DNC is full of faggots though.
Wow... I never knew you had such thoughts.