PDA

View Full Version : Majority of New Jobs Pay Low Wages

boutons_deux
08-31-2012, 09:01 AM
good jobs gone forever, bad jobs (working poverty hourlies with no benefits) paying less than America's shitt unemployment insurance.

==========

While a majority of jobs lost during the downturn were in the middle range of wages, a majority of those added during the recovery have been low paying, according to a new report from the National Employment Law Project.

The disappearance of midwage, midskill jobs is part of a longer-term trend that some refer to as a hollowing out of the work force, though it has probably been accelerated by government layoffs.

"The overarching message here is we don't just have a jobs deficit; we have a 'good jobs' deficit," said Annette Bernhardt, the report's author and a policy co-director at the National Employment Law Project, a liberal research and advocacy group.

The report looked at 366 occupations tracked by the Labor Department and clumped them into three equal groups by wage, with each representing a third of American employment in 2008. The middle third - occupations in fields like construction, manufacturing and information, with median hourly wages of $13.84 to $21.13 - accounted for 60 percent of job losses from the beginning of 2008 to early 2010.

The job market has turned around since then, but those fields have represented only 22 percent of total job growth. Higher-wage occupations - those with a median wage of $21.14 to $54.55 - represented 19 percent of job losses when employment was falling, and 20 percent of job gains when employment began growing again.

Lower-wage occupations, with median hourly wages of $7.69 to $13.83, accounted for 21 percent of job losses during the retraction. Since employment started expanding, they have accounted for 58 percent of all job growth.

The occupations with the fastest growth were retail sales (at a median wage of $10.97 an hour) and food preparation workers ($9.04 an hour). Each category has grown by more than 300,000 workers since June 2009.

Some of these new, lower-paying jobs are being taken by people just entering the labor force, like recent high school and college graduates. Many, though, are being filled by older workers who lost more lucrative jobs in the recession and were forced to take something to scrape by.

"I think I've been very resilient and resistant and optimistic, up until very recently," said Ellen Pinney, 56, who was dismissed from a $75,000-a-year job in which she managed procurement and supply for an electronics company in March 2008.

Since then, she has cobbled together a series of temporary jobs in retail and home health care and worked as a part-time receptionist for a beauty salon. She is now working as an unpaid intern for a construction company, putting together bids and business plans for green energy projects, and has moved in with her 86-year-old father in Forked River, N.J.

"I really can't bear it anymore," she said, noting that her applications to places like PetSmart and Target had gone unanswered. "From every standpoint - my independence, my sense of purposefulness, my self-esteem, my life planning - this is just not what I was planning."

As Ms. Pinney's experience shows, low-wage jobs have not been growing especially quickly in this recovery; they account for such a big share of job growth mostly because midwage job growth has been so slow.

Over the last few decades, the number of midwage, midskill jobs has stagnated or declined as employers chose to automate routine tasks or to move them offshore.

Job growth has been concentrated in positions that tend to fall into two categories: manual work that must be done in person, like styling hair or serving food, which usually pays relatively little; and more creative, design-oriented work like engineering or surgery, which often pays quite well.

Since 2001, employment has grown 8.7 percent in lower-wage occupations and 6.6 percent in high-wage ones. Over that period, midwage occupation employment has fallen by 7.3 percent.

This "polarization" of skills and wages has been documented meticulously by David H. Autor, an economics professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. A recent study found that this polarization accelerated in the last three recessions, particularly the last one, as financial pressures forced companies to reorganize more quickly.

"This is not just a nice, smooth process," said Henry E. Siu, an economics professor at the University of British Columbia, who helped write the recent study about polarization and the business cycle. "A lot of these jobs were suddenly wiped out during recession and are not coming back."

On top of private sector revamps, state and local governments have been shedding workers in recent years. Those jobs lost in the public sector have been primarily in mid and higher-wage positions, according to Ms. Bernhardt's analysis.

"Whenever you look at data like these, there is this tendency to get overwhelmed, that there are these inevitable, big macro forces causing this polarization and we can't do anything about them. In fact, we can," Ms. Bernhardt said. She called for more funds for states to stem losses in the public sector and federal infrastructure projects to employ idled construction workers. Both proposals have faced resistance from Republicans in Congress.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/08/31/business/majority-of-new-jobs-pay-low-wages-study-finds.xml?f=19

Gecko/Ryan/Repug home stretch message will be JOB JOBS JOBS, but their budget strategies clearly don't create any jobs.

CosmicCowboy
08-31-2012, 09:04 AM
shut up and cook those fries.

Wild Cobra
08-31-2012, 09:06 AM
Yep.

Get that English degree so you can work at McDonalds.

boutons_deux
08-31-2012, 09:19 AM
right-wingers, who believe gecko's bullshit about him being a job creator, chiming in with fascinating, intellectually stimulating contributions

Wild Cobra
08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
right-wingers, who believe gecko's bullshit about him being a job creator, chiming in with fascinating, intellectually stimulating contributions
Will you permanently leave these forums if he does? After-all, you are so certain it will not happen.

leemajors
08-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Yep.

Get that English degree so you can work at McDonalds.

most people I know with English degrees work for tech companies, like me.

TeyshaBlue
08-31-2012, 09:22 AM

You serve fries at a tech company?:lol

Wild Cobra
08-31-2012, 09:24 AM

That doesn't make sense.

What does a Tech company need with an English Major?

Japanese or Chinese, I can understand. Or do you work in japan or China?

Wild Cobra
08-31-2012, 09:24 AM
LOL...

That must be it.

Works in the cafeteria.

leemajors
08-31-2012, 09:26 AM
That doesn't make sense.

I work in Austin, used to take customer service calls before I got to work from home doing admin work. Your degree doesn't set your career path in stone. I work in SAP all day.

TeyshaBlue
08-31-2012, 09:27 AM
I work in Austin, used to take customer service calls before I got to work from home doing admin work. Your degree doesn't set your career path in stone. I work in SAP all day.

Sweet. I'm an SAP fan.:toast

leemajors
08-31-2012, 10:00 AM

Aye, it's the one thing that consistently does what it is supposed to around here :lol

johnsmith
08-31-2012, 10:05 AM

I can no longer take you serious.....not really.....but fuck SAP and everything it stands for.

Honestly, I always wanted to meet the sales people for SAP that convinced my company to buy a product out of the box that in no way, shape, or form models itself around our business and then "shaping" it around our industry.

johnsmith
08-31-2012, 10:06 AM
That doesn't make sense.

Are you really this fucking stupid?

Do you think every Pyschology major is a Psychiatrist? Or that every Education major is a teacher? THe list goes on and on.....as does your stupidity.

boutons_deux
08-31-2012, 10:09 AM
you are so certain it will not happen.

if gecko follows his bullshit budget strategy, I'm 100% it won't be the reason for any job creations, but it will impoverish millions of seniors, and public employees, while enriching the 1% and UCA.

TeyshaBlue
08-31-2012, 10:26 AM
I can no longer take you serious.....not really.....but fuck SAP and everything it stands for.

Honestly, I always wanted to meet the sales people for SAP that convinced my company to buy a product out of the box that in no way, shape, or form models itself around our business and then "shaping" it around our industry.

That's on your IT guys. If it's set up correctly and tested extensively, it's a gem. I've worked with every major ERP system under the sun. Nothing beats the flexibility and analysis/reporting tools of SAP. I'm currently using PeopleSoft...it's like the profoundly retarded cousin of SAP.:lol

leemajors
08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
That's on your IT guys. If it's set up correctly and tested extensively, it's a gem. I've worked with every major ERP system under the sun. Nothing beats the flexibility and analysis/reporting tools of SAP. I'm currently using PeopleSoft...it's like the profoundly retarded cousin of SAP.:lol

Peoplesoft is the CRM system where I work, the repair orders feed to SAP from it. What is abysmally retarded is they added a GUI overlay developed in house so the orders go from it to Peoplesoft to SAP then to the depot's repair management software :bang

TeyshaBlue
08-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Nice. The more interfaces the better! :lol

mercos
08-31-2012, 10:58 AM
This has been going on for a long time. I remember the same complaints during the last administration. The only reason things were not as dire then is because people lived off of their home equity. Our trade policy has destroyed the employment situation in this country. We have all the cheap goods that such a policy brings about, but things like healthcare, food, and energy are going up and draining everyone's bank accounts.

Agloco
08-31-2012, 01:23 PM

:lol

The fact that lower wage jobs are replacing those lost ones should be unsettling. It simply serves to widen the economic divide imo.

scott
08-31-2012, 01:25 PM
That doesn't make sense.

The fact it doesn't make sense to you is probably why you're just a parts changer.

boutons_deux
08-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Our trade policy has destroyed the employment situation in this country. We have all the cheap goods that such a policy brings about, but things like healthcare, food, and energy are going up and draining everyone's bank accounts.

So now we know why UCA pushed so hard for "globalization" since 1980. To fuck Human-Americans secondarily while primarily enriching themselves.

Wild Cobra
08-31-2012, 07:41 PM
The fact it doesn't make sense to you is probably why you're just a parts changer.
I'm perfectly happy being a Parts Changer. Been doing it for just over 30 years now. I have no desire to change careers. Now being a parts changer on semiconductor equipment was the cleanest of the jobs I had, I have thought of working on medical equipment.

Agloco...

What do Medical Equipment service personnel make today?

boutons_deux
08-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Republican Presidents’ Depressing Record On Wage Growth

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Wages_GDP_FRED-41.png

Wage growth has failed to keep up with record-setting corporate profits, and wages as a percent of gross domestic product reached an all-time low after the Great Recession, as BusinessInsider’s Henry Blodget noted today. Wages as a percentage of the economy have fallen precipitously since their peak in the 1960s, when the minimum wage reached its maximum buying power and the middle class was strongest. Interestingly, Republican presidents, whose failed supply-side policies have led to given them significantly weaker job creation records than their Democratic counterparts, have presided over the three steep declines in wages as a percentage of the economy,

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/08/31/783221/chart-republicans-wage-growth/

VRWC/conservatives/UCA War on Employees over 35 years:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Latarian Milton
08-31-2012, 08:48 PM
colleges just gave away too many degrees the past several years imho. in the old days you could get a well paying job even w/o a basic college degree, and nowadays a college degree doesn't give you a pinch of advantage in the job market. even though you are smarter people and have better knowledge than those whom you get employed by, you have to follow every retarded order they send you and act like a complete dumbass

you never get striped of what you've learned, however. knowledge will benefit your entire life and that's not what the rich uneducated fucks can buy with their $ tbh

Agloco
08-31-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm perfectly happy being a Parts Changer. Been doing it for just over 30 years now. I have no desire to change careers. Now being a parts changer on semiconductor equipment was the cleanest of the jobs I had, I have thought of working on medical equipment.

Agloco...

What do Medical Equipment service personnel make today?

I presume you're asking about salaries and not products?

This depends.

LINAC service engineers make around 70k I'm guessing. Some of the MRI service engineers I've worked with in the past so about the same. Service engineers for proton facilities are usually compensated more. I've noticed that the level of compensation is heavily weighted towards years of experience and less on location or company.

Mind you, those are highly specialized examples. One could work in a more general area fixing laboratory diagnostic equipment and do well also.

ElNono
08-31-2012, 10:48 PM
I don't get paid enough to write this CCR/CCD shit, that's for sure...

(goes back to coding)

Wild Cobra
08-31-2012, 10:57 PM
I presume you're asking about salaries and not products?

This depends.

LINAC service engineers make around 70k I'm guessing. Some of the MRI service engineers I've worked with in the past so about the same. Service engineers for proton facilities are usually compensated more. I've noticed that the level of compensation is heavily weighted towards years of experience and less on location or company.

Mind you, those are highly specialized examples. One could work in a more general area fixing laboratory diagnostic equipment and do well also.
No thanks then. I'll stay where I'm at. No need to take a cut in pay.

TDMVPDPOY
08-31-2012, 11:09 PM
nothing beats outsourcing ur manufacturing/production process to china, who then sources it out to the shits of africa at half the costs of a chinese factory worker with rising labor costs hurting their bottom line

whatever happen to the china fagot motto, prosperity?

Agloco
08-31-2012, 11:24 PM
No thanks then. I'll stay where I'm at. No need to take a cut in pay.

0tJGk4ofc18

Th'Pusher
09-01-2012, 12:28 AM
0tJGk4ofc18

That literally made me :lmao :toast

mavs>spurs
09-01-2012, 12:36 AM
The economy is becoming too topheavy..the elite have everything and the poor have nothing. You can't buy goods and services if you make a low wage, so there is less demand for the corporations products. So in turn, in order to maintain profits they have to lower wages even further and cut costs. The elite don't understand that if they have all the money, eventually nobody can buy their shit anymore. A strong middle class is always the backbone of a healthy economy because it keeps goods and services flowing.

SnakeBoy
09-01-2012, 01:01 AM

What kind of semiconducter "parts changer" are you?

When I first got out of school I was a process engineer at AMD. I worked in CMP (polish) and whenever I could I would work with the "parts changers" for the speedfam polishers doing repairs. It was more interesting than analyzing particle counts :sleep. Eventually they (speedfam) offered me a "parts changer" job paying $120k, almost double my engineer salary. I didn't take it since my wife was wrapping up her residency and I knew I'd be quiting soon but if I had I'd probably still be doing it, it was good work.

TDMVPDPOY
09-01-2012, 01:10 AM
The economy is becoming too topheavy..the elite have everything and the poor have nothing. You can't buy goods and services if you make a low wage, so there is less demand for the corporations products. So in turn, in order to maintain profits they have to lower wages even further and cut costs. The elite don't understand that if they have all the money, eventually nobody can buy their shit anymore. A strong middle class is always the backbone of a healthy economy because it keeps goods and services flowing.

middle class and single = gets annually raped when the tax budget comes out each year....

now if ur a middle class with a family..the benefits outweighs being single....

Wild Cobra
09-01-2012, 01:30 AM
That literally made me :lmao :toast
My comment, or Ace's?

Why should I have a desire to move to a job field that has effectively the same wages as mine. I wouldn't start at the same level, I would lose money until I gained the experience for the way those parts are put together.

"Parts is parts."

Most things I have worked on in different jobs were the same types of parts, put together differently. I have entertained the notion of working on Hospital equipment before, but I prefer to stay fixed. For those who like to travel, it's better for them. Just not for me, to lose money, be able to make the same later, and deal with travel.

I like being "fixed station," rather than roving service.

Latarian Milton
09-01-2012, 01:38 AM

point of gold imho but the result may vary according to the composition of the middle class. we need more small business owners to diversify the components of our economy, while the society can't afford to have a majority of middle class which consists mainly of government employees imho. the shrinkage of government employment is a good part of the bad recession, we got many small businesses absorbed by big companies over the past years and we need to get them back tbh

Jacob1983
09-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Fast food and retail - the jobs that no humans want but someone has to do them. They suck ass.

Wild Cobra
09-01-2012, 01:41 AM
What kind of semiconducter "parts changer" are you?

When I first got out of school I was a process engineer at AMD. I worked in CMP (polish) and whenever I could I would work with the "parts changers" for the speedfam polishers doing repairs. It was more interesting than analyzing particle counts :sleep. Eventually they (speedfam) offered me a "parts changer" job paying $120k, almost double my engineer salary. I didn't take it since my wife was wrapping up her residency and I knew I'd be quiting soon but if I had I'd probably still be doing it, it was good work.
I was at the ground level of manufacturing for the Gaard Automation 676 Polisher (CMP). I was an engineering technician. I made design changes that were approved for along the way, and for the 776. I was with Gaards Automation when IPEC bought them out. I left IPEC because they were not living up to their promise to build a new manufacturing facility in Portland. I went to work at LSI Logic, where we had sold several of the 776 Polishers. My current avatar image is a 776. They started instead to build it at the facility in Phoenix. They had real stupid engineers compared to the Portland team. Their product became less reliable. IPEC later merged with Speedfam, basically folded, and some or all of their technology was absorbed by Novellus.

It was the best job I ever had until IPEC bough the company and fucked it up. I even, to my knowledge, was the first to do a CMP process on 300 mm wafers for Semitech, in 1996, on a prototype 300mm platform built here in Portland. One of the perks of being an engineering technician.

"Parts Changer" jobs can pay pretty well, cant they?

Latarian Milton
09-01-2012, 01:59 AM
Fast food and retail - the jobs that no humans want but someone has to do them. They suck ass.

the US never worries about not having enough labors to get the shitty jobs done, illegal immigrants would fight their heads off for these jobs imho. you should feel lucky that you are legal and educated tbh

uneducated people also need to make a living and they need these jobs even though they're shitty, it's not like everyone could get a well-paying job w/o a basic college degree and get married to a mexican wife tbh :lol

mavs>spurs
09-01-2012, 02:03 AM
Rogue the economy here sucks tho and even a guy with a GPA as great as 3.91 out of 4.0 can only land a couple of interviews so far...ok even though I've only applied to 2 jobs :lol

lakerhaterade
09-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Rogue the economy here sucks tho and even a guy with a GPA as great as 3.91 out of 4.0 can only land a couple of interviews so far...ok even though I've only applied to 2 jobs :lol

nigga you gotta broaden det horizon. apply to more places, talk to more higher ups via contacts. i know you can du dis.:toast

mavs>spurs
09-01-2012, 02:07 AM
Dets whottt I'm currently doing right now instead of rushing into things..going out to lunch next week with the head of a bank so we will see how things pan out. I seriously do maintain that this economy blows and would be downright impossible for someone who didn't graduate at the very top of their class and have contacts.

Latarian Milton
09-01-2012, 02:40 AM
college graduates are severely undervalued in the job market these days tbh. we ain't just chasing contracts and paychecks, but also the chances for future developments. if i had graduated atop of my class i'd rather continue my study in grad school and by the time i graduate a few years from now, the economy will have pretty much recovered and there'll be better jobs available out there, and i'll have a master or Dr degree

its not a bad thing to gain some working experience at your job and learn things beyond what's written in the books, just be aware that money is what matters least to your life at this point of time imho. you don't need too much $ when you don't have a family to feed, and smart guys don't do what the picklebreath brothers do- get married before the age of 30

Jacob1983
09-01-2012, 02:42 AM
I didn't go to college to work a shitty low level retail job. And before you tell me to fuck off or shut the fuck up or quit my bitching, you should just stop right there because I'm not going to stop. I went to college so I would have better opportunities and those opportunities were suppose to help me avoid working in retail. I was brainwashed by American society to think that a college degree would lead to a more successful life or at least a chance of having a more successful life. I listened to a lot of bad advice and did not think things through and I have paid dearly for it. Do what I have done, then you can tell me you know what it's like. If I could do it over again, I would have done it so much differently. I definitely wouldn't have gone to three colleges and borrowed an ass load of money which I'm never going to pay back. I will be so glad when the people that caused the economy to crap out die because then they will face their punishment for it from God and I hope he bitches them the fuck out. I hope Bush, his cronies, and the greedy corrupt leeches in Congress get their judgment when they die for screwing over and fucking up so many people's lives.

mavs>spurs
09-01-2012, 02:46 AM
What did you go to school for? did you make good grades? there's got to be more to the story than that. maybe you didn't look hard enough for a better job or gave up after a while. Are you still actively applying to better things? How come after years and years in retail you haven't moved up to management? Some things just aren't adding up.

Jacob1983
09-01-2012, 03:00 AM
It's a long ass story but I'll give you a summary of it. To sum it up, I graduated from college right after the economy got fucked in the ass by Bush and Congress and I honestly had no plan for life after college. I've been stuck in retail because I have an unhealthy fear of failure. I don't want to settle anymore. I don't want to just leave my current job and get something that is either worse, the same, or just a little better. I'm not expecting the best job ever or a million dollars. I check the classifieds every once in a while and send my resume to some places every couple of months but I don't do it enough. I know it's on me. And I accept that and the fact that I'm really fucked up in the head.

At my current job, I won't ever move up because I have been told by my superiors that I'm not the promoting type. I've burned too many bridges there. I don't kiss ass either so that's that. I'm surprised I haven't been canned yet because I've called out my bosses at least a handful of times. A couple of weeks ago, I told one of my bosses that I thought the store I work was a sweatshop and that he was a slave driver. I've bitched at my bosses because I get shafted and shat on with a shitty schedule and an unfair workload. At the store I work at, that is a no no. You have to play ball and do the yes and nod and also kiss ass. It's too late for me to change there so I basically keep quiet and do the yes and nod but no kissing of the ass. Lately, I've been tanking or half assing mainly because I just don't give a fuck anymore.

mavs>spurs
09-01-2012, 03:12 AM
ehhhh you should never piss off your superiors, had you not done that you might be making 50k in middle management right now which isn't a lot but it's at least a living and a step in the right direction. since what's done is done and that place is a dead end for you, you should be actively sending out your resume and applying places. apply to jobs that you know will pay more than shitty low level retail by looking up the pay for that field online. if you truly wanted to better yourself, you'd be applying to 5 jobs every night after you get home from work. and when you finally do get a new job, your attitude HAS to change. make as many friends as possibly and put on a fake smile and at least pretend you enjoy the job, and work hard.

btw, what's your degree? if it's business related, I'm sure I could give you some ideas of where to apply.

Latarian Milton
09-01-2012, 03:13 AM
I didn't go to college to work a shitty low level retail job. And before you tell me to fuck off or shut the fuck up or quit my bitching, you should just stop right there because I'm not going to stop. I went to college so I would have better opportunities and those opportunities were suppose to help me avoid working in retail. I was brainwashed by American society to think that a college degree would lead to a more successful life or at least a chance of having a more successful life. I listened to a lot of bad advice and did not think things through and I have paid dearly for it. Do what I have done, then you can tell me you know what it's like. If I could do it over again, I would have done it so much differently. I definitely wouldn't have gone to three colleges and borrowed an ass load of money which I'm never going to pay back. I will be so glad when the people that caused the economy to crap out die because then they will face their punishment for it from God and I hope he bitches them the fuck out. I hope Bush, his cronies, and the greedy corrupt leeches in Congress get their judgment when they die for screwing over and fucking up so many people's lives.

i have to disagree with you tbh. as much as you said how much your life has been fucked by some retarded politicians' decisions, it seems you don't realize how much the life of natural american people got fucked up due to the overflow of immigrants coming in, legally or illegally.

there're some of world's best schools and colleges in the US, and it was all taxpayers' money that funded the constructions of these schools down to every fucking brick. so what have your parents contributed to this country to deserve the share of american educational resources that their son received?

it was the US education and the college degree that bestowed you a decent life in the US, though not very great. you don't need to take those shitty works those illegals do, even though there isn't much natural differences between you and them. i never immigrated to another country and probably never will so i can hardly empathize with you, but if you were not a complete shameless motherfucker you should relish the american life your living versus a shitty life you'd otherwise live if you hadn't immigrated

SnakeBoy
09-01-2012, 03:13 AM
It's a long ass story but I'll give you a summary of it. To sum it up, I graduated from college right after the economy got fucked in the ass by Bush and Congress and I honestly had no plan for life after college. I've been stuck in retail because I have an unhealthy fear of failure. I don't want to settle anymore. I don't want to just leave my current job and get something that is either worse, the same, or just a little better. I'm not expecting the best job ever or a million dollars. I check the classifieds every once in a while and send my resume to some places every couple of months but I don't do it enough. I know it's on me. And I accept that and the fact that I'm really fucked up in the head.

At my current job, I won't ever move up because I have been told by my superiors that I'm not the promoting type. I've burned too many bridges there. I don't kiss ass either so that's that. I'm surprised I haven't been canned yet because I've called out my bosses at least a handful of times. A couple of weeks ago, I told one of my bosses that I thought the store I work was a sweatshop and that he was a slave driver. I've bitched at my bosses because I get shafted and shat on with a shitty schedule and an unfair workload. At the store I work at, that is a no no. You have to play ball and do the yes and nod and also kiss ass. It's too late for me to change there so I basically keep quiet and do the yes and nod but no kissing of the ass. Lately, I've been tanking or half assing mainly because I just don't give a fuck anymore.

Your problem isn't Bush or congress or the economy or your boss. Your problem is your untreated depressive disorder. Seek help.

mavs>spurs
09-01-2012, 03:18 AM
Your problem isn't Bush or congress or the economy or your boss. Your problem is your untreated depressive disorder. Seek help.

nah i can halfway sympathize with him, anyone graduating college during the Great Recession got fucked, hard. but by this point, several years should have been enough time to get on a better path. i see the recession as the difference between having a job waiting when you get out of school, and possibly having to look for anywhere between a few months and a year. but to waste several years and still be in the same spot is the part that's his fault, he needs to work harder and yes like you said seek help.

Latarian Milton
09-01-2012, 03:24 AM
What did you go to school for? did you make good grades? there's got to be more to the story than that. maybe you didn't look hard enough for a better job or gave up after a while. Are you still actively applying to better things? How come after years and years in retail you haven't moved up to management? Some things just aren't adding up.

there're alot of deadend jobs where you never get a chance to get promoted however hard you work, like most of the jobs that you can find in this economy tbh. so if you could sincerely get a good job with the possibility of future promotions and the access to some new knowledge, there's no reason to let the chance pass by tbh. colleges may suck these days but your knowledge doesn't lie, and your efforts will pay off sooner or later

Latarian Milton
09-01-2012, 03:46 AM

i apologize for assuming u an immigrant if you were truly not one tbh. seems u got stuck in a deadend job, you got a college degree and the knowledge that you worked hard for during your school years, it seems the job you're currently employed at was never the right one for you in the first place, and to be honest with you, it's NEVER too late to fix what you've done wrong. if its truly a deadend job as you described, you should quit the shit out of it as soon as you can and get back to school, or at least try some other jobs where you can get the chances to get promoted regardless of the pay, or at least the chances to learn some new knowledge and skills, which will be beneficial your whole life.

and don't blame the boss for not promoting u, you should've known what kind of job it was before you took it. it's not worth frittering a few years of time on such a shitty job for the forlorn hope of getting promoted imho. you don't get the life you originally wanted because you stopped pursuing it, and it was not the fault of anyone else. i have no idea how old you are or if you're married or not, but you should never give up on your life anyway tbh

TDMVPDPOY
09-01-2012, 05:18 AM
My comment, or Ace's?

Why should I have a desire to move to a job field that has effectively the same wages as mine. I wouldn't start at the same level, I would lose money until I gained the experience for the way those parts are put together.

"Parts is parts."

Most things I have worked on in different jobs were the same types of parts, put together differently. I have entertained the notion of working on Hospital equipment before, but I prefer to stay fixed. For those who like to travel, it's better for them. Just not for me, to lose money, be able to make the same later, and deal with travel.

I like being "fixed station," rather than roving service.

thats where globalization and scale of production efficiency price wise comes into play, when labour prices are too high....businesses will go offschore to cheaper destinations, forcing the current labor market to go back to retrain skills....so what happens when most jobs (production/manufacturing) end up by automated robots? only the highly skilled will be kept while the majority their skills become obsolete....

office jobs are starting to become like that now, only the specialized skilled are kept, while most basic office duties are in the process of being sent offschore for processing...data entra, book keeping, admin...

Wild Cobra
09-01-2012, 05:43 AM
thats where globalization and scale of production efficiency price wise comes into play, when labour prices are too high....businesses will go offschore to cheaper destinations, forcing the current labor market to go back to retrain skills....so what happens when most jobs (production/manufacturing) end up by automated robots? only the highly skilled will be kept while the majority their skills become obsolete....

office jobs are starting to become like that now, only the specialized skilled are kept, while most basic office duties are in the process of being sent offschore for processing...data entra, book keeping, admin...

It's the automation equipment, some that uses robots that I fix! Some jobs cannot be off-shored because of the transportation costs involved.

Agloco
09-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Sounds like you need to diversify. A GPA is simply a number and weights even less in an economy like this.

Don't feel bad though, most young folks fall into this trap.

mavs>spurs
09-01-2012, 04:16 PM

Sounds like you need to diversify. A GPA is simply a number and weights even less in an economy like this.

Don't feel bad though, most young folks fall into this trap.

Eh I just got a little cocky acting like I was only going to apply to a couple of places I hand picked as wanting to work at and just walk up in there and get the job first try that easy. And I still may, they won't be making a decision until mid next week (about 50 other people interviewed as well). Pretty much my biggest mistake is being lazy as fuck these last 3 weeks and taking a little vacation since I finished :lol I really need to start applying to more places. Basically, the grades just get you the interview. I'm applying to about 7 more today though, still don't think I'll have a problem finding something.