PDA

View Full Version : Dentistry/cleanings... overhyped or much needed?

InRareForm
09-01-2012, 12:52 PM
How often do you go?

Are you concerned dentists just say you need this.. just for $?

I think daily maintenance and flossing is adequate enough. A cleaning once every year is fine. Everything else is excessive and just floods money into the Dentistry field. Plus getting xrays every year is not the best thing to do tbh..

DMC
09-01-2012, 05:33 PM
When you're young everything seems to be just fine, no need for maintenance. When you get older the neglect you showed at a younger age becomes irreversible damage and you spend your money one way or the other, pay now or later.

Reck
09-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Good god you need to do it at least yearly.

I almost made a thread about this very same thing. Earlier today I was riding the bus and there was this old lady. God, her teeth were like fucking rotted black. Disgusting stuff.

How people let their teeth get to that point is beyond me.

Do the public a favor people and go to your dentist regularly.

Agloco
09-01-2012, 06:42 PM
When you're young everything seems to be just fine, no need for maintenance. When you get older the neglect you showed at a younger age becomes irreversible damage and you spend your money one way or the other, pay now or later.

This.

Latarian Milton
09-01-2012, 06:51 PM
don't smoke, don't drink hard liquors, and don't forget to brush your teeth every night before going bed then you can keep everything healthy in your mouth your entire life without no dentistry shit tbh

ginobili's bald spot
09-01-2012, 10:04 PM
don't smoke, don't drink hard liquors, and don't forget to brush your teeth every night before going bed then you can keep everything healthy in your mouth your entire life without no dentistry shit tbh

Go ahead and post pics of the amazing results your grill has reaped from this strategy.

slick'81
09-01-2012, 10:06 PM
unless u want all ur teeth to fall out

Drachen
09-01-2012, 10:10 PM
My mom was a dental hygienist and made 0 dollars off of me, yet there we were every 6 months.

DMC
09-01-2012, 10:10 PM
This mentality is part of the problem. There's a misinformation campaign that says oral hygiene is the only factor in oral health and it's clearly not. There are people who have immaculate oral hygiene and still lose their teeth and have root canals and other invasive procedures. It's largely genetic, but there are many factors outside of hygiene. Bad hygiene will accelerate the decaying process, but it's not the sole factor in oral health.

You cannot brush tartar off the inside of your gums down into the deep scale region. Even floss won't do that for you.

InRareForm
09-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Most hygienists are a broken record, tell the patient the same thing.. even if the person seems to brush/floss well or doesn't. The 5 minute dentist checkup at the end is probably more important than the actual cleaning itself.

mavs>spurs
09-01-2012, 10:21 PM
barely been to the dentist in my life but last time i went he said that he was surprised that hear that and that my teeth were fine. they ain't the most pearly white teeth you've ever seen but they're not all nasty or yellow..just gotta brush em every day like rogue said probably 2 or 3 times even.

ploto
09-01-2012, 11:12 PM
If I ever had lots of money, I would get my teeth cleaned every month.

Latarian Milton
09-02-2012, 02:52 AM
This mentality is part of the problem. There's a misinformation campaign that says oral hygiene is the only factor in oral health and it's clearly not. There are people who have immaculate oral hygiene and still lose their teeth and have root canals and other invasive procedures. It's largely genetic, but there are many factors outside of hygiene. Bad hygiene will accelerate the decaying process, but it's not the sole factor in oral health.

You cannot brush tartar off the inside of your gums down into the deep scale region. Even floss won't do that for you.

agree, hygiene is one but not the only factor. mouth exercise may also help maintain the health inside your mouth, like talking, and that's why most gasbags and females in general are less likely to lose their teeth at early ages than males imho.

lakerhaterade
09-02-2012, 02:54 AM
last time i went to the dentist was in 5th grade. i expect gingivitis and about 10+ cavities..nothing a couple thousand dollars can't fix, faggots.

mavs>spurs
09-02-2012, 03:17 AM
pretty sure all those cavities would hurt bro

lakerhaterade
09-02-2012, 03:26 AM
pretty sure all those cavities would hurt bro

they'd be gone upon good hygiene imo.

:cry:cry not being able to afford dental insurance because of ongoing obamapseudo-spook politics

Ginger Vitas
09-05-2012, 02:47 PM
I know one thing...dental pain is not overhyped.

DPG21920
09-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Yall are nasty. If you aren't going to the dentist (which is dumb), you'd better be brushing 3 times a day, flossing every day and using mouthwash twice a day. Even if you don't have cavities and you do all the above, you can still have issues.

DMC
09-05-2012, 05:39 PM
agree, hygiene is one but not the only factor. mouth exercise may also help maintain the health inside your mouth, like talking, and that's why most gasbags and females in general are less likely to lose their teeth at early ages than males imho.

I heard that women's teeth are better because they get det bull sowwce botox on their molars.

DrRich96
09-07-2012, 09:32 AM
FYI, If you brush and floss perfectly, you are only removing about 60% of the plaque and bacteria on your teeth. And trust me nobody brushes and flosses well much less perfectly. Now when you factor in ~70% of the population has some degree of gum disease, the amount of bacteria that is untouched by brushing and flossing goes up significantly.

What does this mean???

When you brush and floss, you only go ~2mm below the gum line. The average probe depth (the space between your teeth and gums) in an average patient is 3 mm. That means 1mm of bacteria goes untouched on a daily basis. Thats a lot of disgusting sh!t breeding below your gumline just eating away at the gum and bone supporting your teeth. With the average person having some degree of gum disease, that means their pockets are deeper than 3 mm and harbor much more bacteria, thus, causing more destruction in your mouth.

This is not even taking into consideration decay/cavities and fractures that occur in the teeth that won't necessarily cause pain until it is too late.

OK, Boys and Girls, that is your dental hygiene lesson for the day!!

Cane
09-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Even if you're living off a nonradioactive Japanese diet, you should still get regular checkups but the OP at least does it once a year.

Like the good DrRich96 says, you're basically only scratching at the god damn surface with mouthwash/flossing/brushing. Kind of like the tip of a god damn iceberg.