PDA

View Full Version : Why conservatives must not vote for Bush

Ruby Ridge
09-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Doug Bandow column (http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2004/09/10/conservatives/index.html)

This article appeared in Salon and we know why they ran with it. Bandow however has conservative credentials and makes good points.

One of the premises in the column is Tommy D's contention from a previous thread or two that Kerry might be harmless due to a Republican congress.

Moreover, whatever the personal preferences of a President Kerry, he could spend only whatever legislators allowed, so assuming that the GOP maintains its control over Congress, outlays almost certainly would rise less than if Bush won reelection.

snip

Give either party complete control of government and the treasury vaults quickly empty. Share power between the parties and, out of principle or malice, they check each other. The American Conservative Union's Don Devine says bluntly: "A rational conservative would calculate a vote for Kerry as likely to do less damage" fiscally.

The article is a bit long and rather than cut and paste, I would invite people of all political stripe to read it.

He is rather thorough regarding all issues not just spending.

Tommy Duncan
09-10-2004, 01:39 PM
From a fiscal standpoint perhaps Kerry and a GOP controlled Congress would be appealing. That is assuming that those Republican congressmen don't find themselves going down the entitlements for votes path which has been well established by the Democrats. Too many Republicans have bought into the notion that compassion is measured by the level of government spending.

The two primary reasons why I think conservative turnout for Bush will be strong are the terrorism threat and the future of the Federal judiciary. Looking at the Supreme Court there are a number of fuddy duddies who seem to be fast approaching that great bench in the sky.

Yonivore
09-10-2004, 01:42 PM
I think the American people believe security is the paramount issue in this election and Bush has that vote, hands down.

On the rest, most Americans don't see a bit of difference between the two -- or between Demoncratic and Republican legislators for that matter.