PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys been watching "The Newsroom"?

CosmicCowboy
09-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Pretty damn good show.

CosmicCowboy
09-04-2012, 09:46 AM
If you haven't you can catch up on HBO on demand. First season has been amazingly good.

Th'Pusher
09-04-2012, 09:55 AM
I have. It's great. Funny you post this as I thought about Will McAvoy when I read your open letter to the WSJ.

Spurminator
09-04-2012, 10:09 AM
It has its moments but the soap opera stuff really gets in the way a lot. And while I agree with most of the show's points about the media and about politics in general, I still find a lot of it rather condescending. I'll stick with it in the hopes that it gets better in Season 2, because I really want to like it.

CosmicCowboy
09-04-2012, 10:25 AM
It has its moments but the soap opera stuff really gets in the way a lot. And while I agree with most of the show's points about the media and about politics in general, I still find a lot of it rather condescending. I'll stick with it in the hopes that it gets better in Season 2, because I really want to like it.

Agree somewhat on the stupid love triangles and I thought the voter ID segment on the last show was pretty shallow and stupid but overall I still like the show.

EVAY
09-04-2012, 10:26 AM
yes. I've watched every one of them so far and just love the show.

It has humor and seriousness, and I think that the role of the head of the News Division, played by Sam Waterston, is the best role he has ever had.

I have been surprised by what a good job Jeff Daniels has done, too. I didn't expect to like the series because I generally don't like him, but he has proven me wrong.

I also love the Economist, probably because I recognize and appreciate the difficulty in getting such a boring topic any air time.

The only character i really dislike is the blond flake. But I really dislike that character.

CosmicCowboy
09-04-2012, 10:36 AM
yes. I've watched every one of them so far and just love the show.

It has humor and seriousness, and I think that the role of the head of the News Division, played by Sam Waterston, is the best role he has ever had.

I have been surprised by what a good job Jeff Daniels has done, too. I didn't expect to like the series because I generally don't like him, but he has proven me wrong.

I also love the Economist, probably because I recognize and appreciate the difficulty in getting such a boring topic any air time.

The only character i really dislike is the blond flake. But I really dislike that character.

Yeah, having two guys hot over her is a real stretch. Now Emily Mortimer on the other hand although not really classically "hot" is just sexy as hell...and of course Olivia Munn is absolutely gorgeous.

Yonivore
09-04-2012, 10:42 AM
I've never watched it but, liberal friends and some of you, in here, post clips because they think it validates their world view.

EVAY
09-04-2012, 10:58 AM
I've never watched it but, .

Brilliant!

Be sure never to let experience or facts get in the way of opining.

scott
09-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Pretty damn good show.

Leftist Commie.

Yonivore
09-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Brilliant!

Be sure never to let experience or facts get in the way of opining.
How am I doing either? It's a fucking fictional television show written by a liberal who once had a pretty good show in The West Wing. What am I missing; entertainment with an overt liberal bias?

I had a friend post that idiot monologue Jeff Daniels did on voter fraud and some poor little lady being required to buy a photo ID. And he's supposedly the Conservative on the show?

:lmao

EVAY
09-04-2012, 11:11 AM
How am I doing either? It's a fucking fictional television show written by a liberal who once had a pretty good show in The West Wing. What am I missing; entertainment with an overt liberal bias?

I had a friend post that idiot monologue Jeff Daniels did on voter fraud and some poor little lady being required to buy a photo ID. And he's supposedly the Conservative on the show?

:lmao

You are missing the basis for making an informed judgment! The fact that you don't even recognize that is part of your problem.

And if you had watched the show, you would know that Jeff Daniels' character is NOT considered a 'Conservative' on the show. He is portrayed as a 'Moderate Republican'...that nearly extinct kind of American who has been hounded out of the Republican Party by the extreme right wingers like you, Yoni.

Spurminator
09-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Yeah, having two guys hot over her is a real stretch. Now Emily Mortimer on the other hand although not really classically "hot" is just sexy as hell...and of course Olivia Munn is absolutely gorgeous.

I never had much respect for Olivia Munn as an actress but she was really, really good in the episode where she filled in at the desk. And that was by far the best episode of the season, IMO.

MannyIsGod
09-04-2012, 04:05 PM
I've enjoyed it for the most part. After watching all of the West Wing (one of my top 3 shows EVER) I do think Sorkin is a bit formulaic. I saw a lot of what he did in the WW throughout this first season in the way he told stories.

It's not bad, but at the same time when you're on HBO I would like to push the boundaries a bit more.

I think a lot of the issues they bring up on the show are valid as hell, though. Especially the lack of accountability in the media for politicians and the complete public misunderstanding of what the debt ceiling was.

MannyIsGod
09-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Also, the soap opera stuff isn't going away. It was a full time thing on the West Wing.

CosmicCowboy
09-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I've enjoyed it for the most part. After watching all of the West Wing (one of my top 3 shows EVER) I do think Sorkin is a bit formulaic. I saw a lot of what he did in the WW throughout this first season in the way he told stories.

It's not bad, but at the same time when you're on HBO I would like to push the boundaries a bit more.

I think a lot of the issues they bring up on the show are valid as hell, though. Especially the lack of accountability in the media for politicians and the complete public misunderstanding of what the debt ceiling was.

True that...

I vote that Olivia Munn get naked.

MannyIsGod
09-04-2012, 04:11 PM
:lol

scott
09-04-2012, 08:31 PM
In spite of Olivia Munn's hotness, I really don't like her character. The "oh I'm hot? I never knew!" hot girl character is always lame. With that said, I wish some of my colleagues looked like that...

Jacob1983
09-05-2012, 03:00 AM
It's an entertaining show but the bias gets in the way of the show. The show is biased big time. Jeff Daniels' character is a moderate Republican yet he only bashes the GOP and never bashes Obama. And what's up with basically every character on the show being an Obama supporter/borderline koolaid drinker? Not very realistic if you ask me. Olivia Munn is hot but her character is annoying. Her character tries way too hard to prove to people that she's not just a nice body with tits and a nice ass. And I don't get the Jim character. He's got that cute thick girl that wanted to do him and be with him yet he wants that annoying pale vampiric looking blonde.

Yonivore
09-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Why don't the Democrats want that little old lady from Newsroom to be able to attend their convention events?

DNC to require ID in order to attend festivities (http://www.ijreview.com/2012/09/14709-dnc-to-require-id-in-order-to-attend-festivities/)

Yonivore
09-05-2012, 09:53 AM
It's an entertaining show but the bias gets in the way of the show. The show is biased big time. Jeff Daniels' character is a moderate Republican yet he only bashes the GOP and never bashes Obama. And what's up with basically every character on the show being an Obama supporter/borderline koolaid drinker? Not very realistic if you ask me. Olivia Munn is hot but her character is annoying. Her character tries way too hard to prove to people that she's not just a nice body with tits and a nice ass. And I don't get the Jim character. He's got that cute thick girl that wanted to do him and be with him yet he wants that annoying pale vampiric looking blonde.
:tu

Blake
09-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Haven't seen it but plan to.

I've been watching Political Animals. Pretty good show, imo. I'd vote for Sigourney Weaver.

CosmicCowboy
09-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah, political animals is good. I'd bang Sigourney Weaver.

Danny.Zhu
09-05-2012, 09:06 PM

If they don't have the soap opera stuff in it, the show would have been cancelled like the Studio 60.

Danny.Zhu
09-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Emily Mortimer is my favorite character on the show.

Jacob1983
09-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Sigourney Weaver is attractive for her age but I'd rather bang Carla Gugino. She gets better with age in my opinion.