PDA

View Full Version : What kind of razor do you shave with?

redzero
09-04-2012, 09:31 PM
This question is for those who shave their facial hair. I'm not satisfied with what I use now. I'm thinking about getting a straight razor, but I would probably hurt myself.

Any recommendations?

lefty
09-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Gillette Mach 3, the regular one

With some shave gel from Nivea For Men, dark blue can (good shit)

I tried the old fart Double Edge razor with shaving brush; "they" say its better, but its shit

Straight razor? If you have enough time in the morning ... As you have to be very careful with it
Plus, you have to take care of it (stropping, etc)

jjktkk
09-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Gillette Pro Glide is a really good razor, but cartridges are way too expensive. I switched to Schick Hydro. Not as good as Pro glider, but cheaper blades, and the Hydro is still a good razor.

Bill_Brasky
09-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Get:
1) Straight razor
2) Glycerin Shave soap
3) Brush
4) Any aftershave that contains witch hazel, or you can just use pure witch hazel.

Ever since I started using these things a few years ago my skin has looked/felt amazing, and no more wasting money on bullshit razors/shaving creams/after shave.

redzero
09-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Get:
1) Straight razor
2) Glycerin Shave soap
3) Brush
4) Any aftershave that contains witch hazel, or you can just use pure witch hazel.

Ever since I started using these things a few years ago my skin has looked/felt amazing, and no more wasting money on bullshit razors/shaving creams/after shave.

How steep is the straight razor learning curve?

InRareForm
09-04-2012, 10:53 PM
$120 dollar Norelco Electric Razor.

worth every penny tbh..

mouse
09-05-2012, 03:55 AM
Who told you to shave?

You tell your boyfriend to grow thicker balls
(rim shot)

My advice is to stay away from shavers made in China, and buy women's shavers they are sharper and more comfortable.

mavs>spurs
09-05-2012, 04:14 AM
i'd be scared as fuck to shave with a straight razor..ya'll crazy

benefactor
09-05-2012, 05:36 AM
$120 dollar Norelco Electric Razor.

worth every penny tbh..
Braun>>>Norelco

I have a Braun Series 3 that I do my face and head with. It's owns every Norelco I've ever had.

The Reckoning
09-05-2012, 06:41 AM
my Free Quattro Razor, of course

Wild Cobra Kai
09-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Bic single blade disposables. Use one for a week, throw it out. A pack of like 20 costs a couple of bucks at your local discount store.

jag
09-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Gillette Mach 3, the regular one

With some shave gel from Nivea For Men, dark blue can (good shit)

I tried the old fart Double Edge razor with shaving brush; "they" say its better, but its shit

Straight razor? If you have enough time in the morning ... As you have to be very careful with it
Plus, you have to take care of it (stropping, etc)

That's what I use. I think I have the Mach 3 Turbo, but I rarely remember to push the little vibrator button, because it doesn't actually matter. I had a Gillette Fusion but it was excessive; I don't need 5 blades on my face.

Shaving in the shower is the way to go. You can use little, to no shaving cream and not worry about cuts.

johnsmith
09-05-2012, 08:16 AM
I had one of those 20 dollar razors for a while where you have to buy blades for $30 a pop until I read some article on yahoo that said disposable razors do just as good a job. Turns out, they do....and they're cheaper in the long run.

I really want to buy a good electric though but I struggle with spending $150 on a razor.

CosmicCowboy
09-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I use a triple blade...I think it's a mach 3. The trick is to keep the blade clean. I have a really heavy beard and I will rinse the blade good every couple of swipes and wash it real well when I'm done. The blades literally last for months if you clean them.

TheRealCB
09-05-2012, 09:29 AM
I've thought of trying a straight razor too...Can anybody give some info on how difficult it is? I use many blades (gillette fusion,then one of those cheap bic,w/e looks good at the store :lol) but I always get a cut or two because I'm clumsy..

Would a straight razor be a no-go?

cantthinkofanything
09-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Shaving in the shower is the way to go. You can use little, to no shaving cream and not worry about cuts.

This right thur. I use a Mach 3 in the shower and never use shaving cream. Let the stuff go right down the drain. Viola.

Latarian Milton
09-05-2012, 09:39 AM
id prefer a pair of scissors with each blade no longer than my little finger, you also need to be careful when using scissors because it may make small cuts in your face but it doesn't pose no danger close to what a straight razor would tbh

cantthinkofanything
09-05-2012, 09:41 AM
id prefer a pair of scissors with each blade no longer than my little finger, you also need to be careful when using scissors because it may make small cuts in your face but it doesn't pose no danger close to what a straight razor would tbh

I thought you brothers used Magic Shave. Had a friend that would put that shit on and then shave it off with a credit card. Shit smelled awful.

GoodOdor
09-05-2012, 11:24 AM
How often do you guys shave?

I'm a jew, so I grow a heck of a beard tbh. Problem is, I can't seem to get a close shave no matter what I try. I use the Gillete Mach 3(don't use the vibrations, like Jag). Problem is I also can't go against the growth direction because then my skin gets irritated.

redzero
09-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Electric razors give me razor burn.

Maybe I'll go with disposable. I've been using Gillette Fusion for a while now, and five blades might be excessive.

leemajors
09-05-2012, 03:10 PM
You might also want to look into safety razors, I have heard people swear by them. Here is a recent Boing Boing article on switching to straight razors if you didn't see it, they also discuss safety razors. Some good comments too:

http://boingboing.net/2012/08/25/switching-to-a-straight-razor.html

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-05-2012, 05:20 PM
How often do you guys shave?

I'm a jew, so I grow a heck of a beard tbh. Problem is, I can't seem to get a close shave no matter what I try. I use the Gillete Mach 3(don't use the vibrations, like Jag). Problem is I also can't go against the growth direction because then my skin gets irritated.
As a Jew, I recommend the Fusion Pro Glide. The razors being expensive as hell is the drawback but they're a really close shave. FYI though, my facial hair isn't as curly/thick as typical Jewish facial hair

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-05-2012, 05:22 PM
This, but just make sure you dry the razor off when your done in the shower and don't leave it in the shower because you go through razors even quicker if they stay wet for long periods of time.

DMC
09-05-2012, 05:34 PM
As a Jew, I recommend the Fusion Pro Glide. The razors being expensive as hell is the drawback but they're a really close shave. FYI though, my facial hair isn't as curly/thick as typical Jewish facial hair
Do Jews get pseudofolliculitis barbae?

DMC
09-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Electric razors give me razor burn.

Maybe I'll go with disposable. I've been using Gillette Fusion for a while now, and five blades might be excessive.
The 4 or 5 blade designs are great. I've used disposable for years but I picked one of the freebies at a hotel I was staying and really liked it. Problem is the refills cost a shit load, but you can use one refill half a dozen times whereas a disposable is about once or twice.

lefty
09-05-2012, 06:57 PM

As a Jew, you can't recommend those expensive Fusion blades

jag
09-05-2012, 08:18 PM
The Gillette Fusion will get you the closest shave (with the grain), but God help you if you're pressed for time and need a quick shave of the upper lip. Working with 5 blades in the mustache area requires a lot of finesse. I can get just as close a shave, going against the grain, with the Mach 3, and I'm provided a little more room for error.

This, but just make sure you dry the razor off when your done in the shower and don't leave it in the shower because you go through razors even quicker if they stay wet for long periods of time.

I really need to start taking better care of my razors. They dull so quickly and I end up spending a silly amount of money on blades every month. I need to up my Jew game and start getting more bang for my buck.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-05-2012, 08:21 PM
If you run your razor against denim (so just a pair of jeans) after every time you use it it prolongs the life of razors a lot. Usually I make razors last a month or so, and that's also with me using it to manscape 2-3 times a week (before anyone makes some dumb remark about manscaping being gay, when you live in AZ and walk a mile to class every day, you do anything to limit the amount of sweat/odor you have. Especially in Tucson with the humidity right now.

jag
09-05-2012, 08:52 PM
I'll have to give the denim thing a try.

And if you're going to let it grow out for a couple/few days then there's nothing wrong with keeping it neat. Can't hate on that. Unless of course you're out sporting something really disturbing, like this:

http://0.tqn.com/d/menshair/1/0/1/0/-/-/chinstrap.jpg

BruceBowenFan
09-05-2012, 09:10 PM
I use the M5 Magnum razors, pretty damn close shave. And the price is pretty cheap

lefty
09-05-2012, 10:01 PM
The Gillette Fusion will get you the closest shave (with the grain), but God help you if you're pressed for time and need a quick shave of the upper lip. Working with 5 blades in the mustache area requires a lot of finesse. I can get just as close a shave, going against the grain, with the Mach 3, and I'm provided a little more room for error.

I really need to start taking better care of my razors. They dull so quickly and I end up spending a silly amount of money on blades every month. I need to up my Jew game and start getting more bang for my buck.

Keep the blade overnight in alcohol or mineral oil

It works

leemajors
09-05-2012, 11:01 PM
How much are people spending on blades a month? Just curious.

Dex
09-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Apparently the Schick Quattro was quite popular around these parts for quite some time...

DMC
09-06-2012, 12:38 AM
If you run your razor against denim (so just a pair of jeans) after every time you use it it prolongs the life of razors a lot. Usually I make razors last a month or so, and that's also with me using it to manscape 2-3 times a week (before anyone makes some dumb remark about manscaping being gay, when you live in AZ and walk a mile to class every day, you do anything to limit the amount of sweat/odor you have. Especially in Tucson with the humidity right now.
Do you carry a gallon of water like other people I see walking around the Phoenix area?

DJ Mbenga
09-06-2012, 01:10 AM
there was a time when the quatro was popular since they kept giving it away, i havent gotten free razors lately. the fusion is the one, has the one blade for the moustache. to extend the life of my razor i use the shaver to do some of the heavy lifting and then the razor just does a little work. im the type of person though that keeps the same razor for months, so after a while shaves become painful and annoying.
wish there was like a mass market cream you could rub on your face, let it sit for a minute then wipe your face and all the hair is gone. ah to dream.

Wild Cobra
09-06-2012, 03:26 AM
No shit.

In the hot weather, the people who stink the most, are the ones with the most body hair.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Do you carry a gallon of water like other people I see walking around the Phoenix area?
Either that or a water bottle I refill.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-06-2012, 08:53 AM
No shit.

In the hot weather, the people who stink the most, are the ones with the most body hair.
rofl yup.

My friend who's Greek (:lol Greece) is harry beyond belief, overweight (actually at this point is fat), and smokes 1-2 packs a day. The combination of smoke and body odor that's trapped on on him because of all his hair creates the most repulsive smell ever.

Even under arm hair can be managed imo. You keep enough so it doesn't start looking feminine but trimming the excess shit goes a long way towards limiting pit stains.

Trill Clinton
09-06-2012, 09:18 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2mph5dj.jpg

resistanze
09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I shave once every two weeks, tbh. lol genetics.

InRareForm
09-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Why don't people use electric shavers? Much easier. I know it gives some people razor burn, but your skin adjusts to the shaver after a few weeks and all is well

TheRealCB
09-06-2012, 02:28 PM
rofl yup.

My friend who's Greek (:lol Greece) is harry beyond belief, overweight (actually at this point is fat), and smokes 1-2 packs a day. The combination of smoke and body odor that's trapped on on him because of all his hair creates the most repulsive smell ever.

Even under arm hair can be managed imo. You keep enough so it doesn't start looking feminine but trimming the excess shit goes a long way towards limiting pit stains.

Son you can always get that shit waxed,that's what I do.

My question remains,has anyone used a straight razor regularly?? How hard is it at the beginning until you get used to it?

The Gemini Method
09-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Right now I've got a beard that is pretty long, so I don't need much razoring...however, I will use a cheapy Bic one and the DoK denim thing is something I didn't know and will have to try when I decide to shave. The gf likes the beard as it satisfies some underlying hipsteress in the broad. Didn't know I signed up for that when I started dating her...

DMC
09-06-2012, 05:16 PM
btw, I shave my balls and anus with a RaZon.

InRareForm
09-06-2012, 06:18 PM
btw, I shave my balls and anus with a RaZon.

I use a pearing knife

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Son you can always get that shit waxed,that's what I do.

Cheaper to just shave it all in the shower tbh. If I was Greek and had a back that was hairy as hell then I definitely would get it waxed :lol

jjktkk
09-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Why don't people use electric shavers? Much easier. I know it gives some people razor burn, but your skin adjusts to the shaver after a few weeks and all is well

I get alot of in-grown hairs using a electric razor. Convenient, but not for me.

CuckingFunt
09-06-2012, 11:03 PM
I love really nice shaving kits with pretty straight razors or safety razors. Always think it's a good sign when guys have them. I've frequently given them as gifts, too.

I wish there were fancy shaving accessories for ladies, but there ain't. Boo.

The Reckoning
09-07-2012, 05:52 AM
I love really nice shaving kits with pretty straight razors or safety razors. Always think it's a good sign when guys have them. I've frequently given them as gifts, too.

i guess if youre in to the grandfatherly types