PDA

View Full Version : The Possession

JudynTX
09-06-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm scared to watch this. :( But I'll still go.

0gBeG31fX40

TE
09-06-2012, 11:08 AM
meh

MaNuMaNiAc
09-06-2012, 11:37 AM
looks pretty bad tbh

The Gemini Method
09-06-2012, 12:39 PM
On a similar note, can't wait until Americn Horror Story comes back with it's 2nd season!

Darth_Pelican
09-06-2012, 01:42 PM
PG-13 horror movies are watered down and rarely ever scary or good

JudynTX
09-06-2012, 01:48 PM
PG-13 horror movies are watered down and rarely ever scary or good

But it's based on a true story. ??

SA210
09-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Horror films died in the early 90's, thanks to the "I Know What you Screamed Last Summer" piece of shit genre. From there it all went downhill, and I don't fall for the gimmicks anymore. A "horror" trailer comes on, I switch the station, with ease. They all suck, they are all gimmicks, no more real good stories. Camera tricks, stupid music to make up for shitty scenes, and trying too hard to be freaky. Ruining originals, etc. It's a disgrace really, a horrible, horrible disgrace.

I have 3 horror scripts I have written, hopefully I get to make them and do justice to the movies of old.

JudynTX
09-06-2012, 01:52 PM
So what was the LAST horror movie you liked?

SA210
09-06-2012, 02:07 PM
So what was the LAST horror movie you liked?

Idk, maybe Candyman was alright. I loved Poltergiest, Pet Semetary, An American Werewolf in London, the original first Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 2. Those movies had a good story, a good flow, no gimmicks. They were scary.

Everything is rushed now, they feel you have to have freaky shit in the 1st scene and no real arc throughout, it's all cartoonish CGI, just look at that crappy sequel..An American Werewolf in Paris, a CGI wolf. It's just takes away from the scariness of it. And now these characters wear too much damn makeup and all look like the cast of Twilight.

Poltergeist really had a story and you cared about the family and had that very memorable soundtrack. Pfft..soundtracks don't even exist anymore where you know, ok that's that theme from that movie, you knew the difference. Now it's just an assembly line of crappy gimmicky wannabe horror films with nothing of substance, nothing to remember. Just a great marketing scam job.

Now they just rush the action. These days a movie just doesn't stick anymore, you forget about them and move on.

But those scary films I mentioned that are some of my personal faves, people remember them and they have lasted all this time. Who really gives a damn about the new Nightmare on Elm Street remake by Michael Bay's company? Even further than horror, who really gives a shit about the new Karate Kid?

When I hear those titles, I don't think of the new ones. Movies just suck now whether horror or any other genre. Moneyball was the first very feel good movie I have seen in years. Been a while since I felt that good about a movie in a theater.

I really do hope that in my filmmaking I can bring back heart and story and pay tribute to great films.

They want to do a remake to Poltergeist. I throw up at the idea.

It won't have this effect or lasting impression, I guarantee you that.
405636sy3RY

JudynTX
09-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Idk, maybe Candyman was alright. I loved Poltergiest, Pet Semetary, An American Werewolf in London, the original first Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 2. Those movies had a good story, a good flow, no gimmicks. They were scary.

Everything is rushed now, they feel you have to have freaky shit in the 1st scene and no real arc throughout, it's all cartoonish CGI, just look at that crappy sequel..An American Werewolf in Paris, a CGI wolf. It's just takes away from the scariness of it. And now these characters wear too much damn makeup and all look like the cast of Twilight.

Poltergeist really had a story and you cared about the family and had that very memorable soundtrack. Pfft..soundtracks don't even exist anymore where you know, ok that's that theme from that movie, you knew the difference. Now it's just an assembly line of crappy gimmicky wannabe horror films with nothing of substance, nothing to remember.

Now they just rush the action. These days a movie just doesn't stick anymore, you forget about them and move on.

But those scary films I mentioned that are some of my personal faves, people remember them and they have lasted all this time. Who really gives a damn about the new Nightmare on Elm Street remake by Michael Bay's company? Even further than horror, who really gives a shit about the new Karate Kid?

When I hear those titles, I don't think of the new ones. Movies just suck now whether horror or any other genre. Moneyball was the first very feel good movie I have seen in years. Been a while since I felt that good about a movie in a theater.

I really do hope that in my filmmaking I can bring back heart and story and pay tribute to great films.

Actually what happened was that movies were being made to be nothing but slash movies, crap like The Grudge, etc. Then that Paranormal Activity shit came along.....ugh

SA210
09-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Actually what happened was that movies were being made to be nothing but slash movies, crap like The Grudge, etc. Then that Paranormal Activity shit came along.....ugh

And that was the nail in the coffin for me. lol

JudynTX
09-06-2012, 02:22 PM
It went to shits when they started a freakin category for horror films. :bang

From Wiki -

Sub-genres

Action Horror - A subgenre combining the intrusion of an evil force, event, or supernatural personage of horror movies with the gunfights and frenetic chases of the action genre. Themes or elements often prevalent in typical action-horror films include gore, demons, vicious animals, vampires and, most commonly, zombies. This category also fuses the fantasy genre. Examples include Resident Evil, Ghost Rider, Planet Terror, Undead, Doomsday, Underworld,[29] Constantine, Priest, Dawn of the Dead, Deep Rising, From Dusk till Dawn, Blade, Legion and End of Days.[30]

Body horror – In which the horror is principally derived from the graphic destruction or degeneration of the body. Other types of body horror include unnatural movements, or the anatomically incorrect placement of limbs to create 'monsters' out of human body parts. David Cronenberg is one of the notable directors of the genre. Some body horror films include Altered States, The Invasion, The Fly, Rosemary's Baby, Eraserhead, The Thing, Re-Animator, Hellraiser, Videodrome, Cabin Fever, Virus and Teeth.

Comedy horror – Combines the elements of comedy and horror fiction. The comedy horror genre almost always inevitably crosses over with the black comedy genre. The short story "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" by Washington Irving is cited as "the first great comedy-horror story".[31] Examples include An American Werewolf in London, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Gremlins, Bad Taste, Beetlejuice, Arachnophobia, Scary Movie, Eight Legged Freaks, Shaun of the Dead, Evil Dead II, Tucker & Dale vs Evil, and Slither. WTFF?

Gothic horror – Gothic horror is a type of story that contains elements of goth and horror. At times it may have romance that unfolds in the setting of a horror tale, usually suspenseful. Some of the earliest horror movies were of this sub-genre. Examples include universal horror films such as The Phantom of the Opera, Dracula, Frankenstein and The Mummy. Modern gothic horrors include Sleepy Hollow, Interview with the Vampire, Underworld, The Wolfman, From Hell, Dorian Gray, Let Me In and The Woman in Black.

Natural horror – A sub-genre of horror films "featuring nature running amok in the form of mutated beasts, carnivorous insects, and normally harmless animals or plants turned into cold-blooded killers."[32] This genre may sometimes overlap with the science fiction and action/adventure genre. Examples include The Birds, Black Sheep, Jaws, Mimic, Deep Rising, Them!, The Swarm, Pet Sematary, Lake Placid, Primeval, Anaconda, Snakes on a Plane, The Cave, Piranha 3D and The Ruins.

Psychological horror – Relies on characters' fears, guilt, beliefs, eerie sound effects, relevant music, emotional instability and at times, the supernatural and ghosts, to build tension and further the plot. Examples include The Uninvited, Dark Water, Gothika, The Ring, The Grudge, The Exorcist, Session 9, Silent Hill, The Others, The Mothman Prophecies, The Blair Witch Project, 1408, The Shining, Stir of Echoes, The Innocents, Frailty, The Changeling, and The Sixth Sense.

Science Fiction horror – Often revolves around subjects that include but are not limited to killer aliens, mad scientists, and/or experiments gone wrong. Examples include Alien,Pandorum, The Fly, Event Horizon, Apollo 18, Doom, Pitch Black, The Mist, and It Came from Outer Space.

Slasher film – Often revolves around a psychopathic killer stalking and killing a sequence of victims in a graphically violent manner, mainly with a cutting tool such as a knife or axe. Slasher films may at times overlap with the crime, mystery and thriller genre, and they are not all of the horror genre. Examples of this genre include Psycho, Black Christmas, Halloween, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Prom Night, Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Hatchet, Friday the 13th, Child's Play, Candyman, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Splatter film – These films deliberately focus on graphic portrayals of gore and graphic violence. Through the use of special effects and excessive blood and guts, they tend to display an overt interest in the vulnerability of the human body and the theatricality of its mutilation. Not all splatter films are slashers, and not all splatter films are horrors. Examples include Cannibal Holocaust, Piranha 3D, Blood Feast, Demons, Saw, Guinea Pig series, Hostel, Cannibal Ferox, Martyrs, Hobo with a Shotgun , Inside, Antichrist, and The Collector.

Zombie film – Zombie films feature creatures who are usually portrayed as either reanimated corpses or mindless human beings. Distinct sub-genres have evolved, such as the "zombie comedy" or the "zombie apocalypse". Examples include ',Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, The Evil Dead,[33] I Am Legend, Land of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Quarantine and The Return of the Living Dead.

SA210
09-06-2012, 02:25 PM
:lol That's so crazy too, because I look at some of those titles and don't even consider them horror.

JudynTX
09-06-2012, 02:27 PM
I guess were fans of Natural horror. :lmao

The Gemini Method
09-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Snakes on the Plane as a horror film? Really?

johnsmith
09-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I hate scary movies because they scare me and I fucking hate being scared. I'm a grown ass man, in my 30's, 6'1" 215 lbs, and I'm fucking terrified of scary movies....doesn't matter what kind, I hate them all. Fuck, they might even be good movies for all I know, but I refuse to rent something or go see something that scares the fuck out of me.

redzero
09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
I hate scary movies because they scare me and I fucking hate being scared. I'm a grown ass man, in my 30's, 6'1" 215 lbs, and I'm fucking terrified of scary movies....doesn't matter what kind, I hate them all. Fuck, they might even be good movies for all I know, but I refuse to rent something or go see something that scares the fuck out of me.

Can you handle Thrillers?

johnsmith
09-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Can you handle Thrillers?

Yeah, that doesn't bother me. I especially hate scary movies like Saw.

I'm a gaping pussy when it comes to movies though. I like comedy and action and that's about it.

Oh, and the Notebook....the way that young couple fell in love....man, that shit really got to me.:p:

JudynTX
09-06-2012, 02:48 PM
OMG! :lol

SA210
09-06-2012, 03:07 PM
I guess were fans of Natural horror. :lmao

:lol Yea. Didn't mean to crap all over you watching the film, I just get let down every-time I try to give them a chance and that's been happening for well over a decade now lol

PakiDan
09-06-2012, 03:13 PM
But it's based on a true story. ??

The actual 'true story' is actually much scarier then this movie...

http://www.dibbukbox.com/

DPG21920
09-06-2012, 03:20 PM
I thought Insidious was the best horror movie ive seen recently.

Darth_Pelican
09-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Supernatural horror does nothing for me. It's almost always corny as hell. I get more creeped out by movies like Cape Fear and Silence of the Lambs because they have realistic stories. I think the last horror movie that I actually liked was Saw. All of the sequals were garbage though and ruined the reputation of the first one.

benefactor
09-06-2012, 04:20 PM
I thought Insidious was the best horror movie ive seen recently.
:tu

It actually wasn't bad...especially compared to some of the garbage that has come out recently. I've heard Cabin in the Woods was pretty good too but I have yet to see it.

Saved By Zero
09-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I don't know what would possess anyone to see this movie.

DPG21920
09-06-2012, 04:28 PM
:tu

It actually wasn't bad...especially compared to some of the garbage that has come out recently. I've heard Cabin in the Woods was pretty good too but I have yet to see it.

Cabin in the Woods is great. Highly recommend that. You have to understand what your walking into though. It's not traditional horror. It's pretty much satire. In that same mold, Tucker & Dale vs Evil was pretty good too. I enjoyed the Fright Night remake, but I wouldn't say it was that great.

crc21209
09-06-2012, 06:40 PM
I actually enjoyed the Possession. I found it to be the best "exorcism" type of movie out of all the other ones that have come out lately like "The Last Exorcism", "The Devil Inside", "The Exorcism of Emily Rose." Of course nothing will ever touch The Exorcist but out of all the recent ones, the Possession might be the best one out of all of them IMO...

redzero
09-06-2012, 06:47 PM
The Cabin in The Woods is more funny than it is scary.

I didn't like Tucker & Dale much. The gimmick got old quickly.

JudynTX
09-07-2012, 08:19 AM
:lol Yea. Didn't mean to crap all over you watching the film, I just get let down every-time I try to give them a chance and that's been happening for well over a decade now lol

You didn't rain on my parade, Hollywood did. :lol

The actual 'true story' is actually much scarier then this movie...

http://www.dibbukbox.com/

Yes Paki. That scares me. :(

SA210
09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
You didn't rain on my parade, Hollywood did. :lol

Yes Paki. That scares me. :(

This fact is very sad too. For instance that sorry ass movie "A Haunting in Connecticut". I was determined to not watch that crap, I happened to watch a bit of it because my sister rented it and she is somehow still fooled that there are scary movies these days lol. But anyhow, it sucked horribly and all I did was go back and forth from laughter to disgust at how bad it tried to be scary or good.

Now if you go back to the true story, the documentary/re-enactment that they did of the real story, I think it aired on A&E or one of those channels, that shyt was scary. In fact when I saw the tv special first thing I thought was damn this would make a scary ass movie, then before I know it, they made one, and it sucked, badly.

:bang:bang:bang:bang

cantthinkofanything
09-07-2012, 01:52 PM
This fact is very sad too. For instance that sorry ass movie "A Haunting in Connecticut". I was determined to not watch that crap, I happened to watch a bit of it because my sister rented it and she is somehow still fooled that there are scary movies these days lol. But anyhow, it sucked horribly and all I did was go back and forth from laughter to disgust at how bad it tried to be scary or good.

Now if you go back to the true story, the documentary/re-enactment that they did of the real story, I think it aired on A&E or one of those channels, that shyt was scary. In fact when I saw the tv special first thing I thought was damn this would make a scary ass movie, then before I know it, they made one, and it sucked, badly.

:bang:bang:bang:bang

Before Blair Witch came out, the made a "documentary" about the story behind the movie. At that point, I hadn't paid much attention to it and didn't know anything about the movie. The documentary was very creepy. Much more so than the move.

DPG21920
09-07-2012, 03:41 PM
I really enjoyed Blair Witch

Southwest Texas Fan
09-07-2012, 06:27 PM
I liked the women in black.

Southwest Texas Fan
09-07-2012, 06:29 PM
I really enjoyed Blair Witch

That one was cool, I wonder what ever happend to the actors, writers, directors?

timtonymanu
09-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I liked the women in black.

Meh. I got annoyed with the unnecessary jump scares. Not my kind of movie, tbh.

I did like Insidious and the Mist. I thought the Strangers had some good scares, but it was too unrealistic.

I pretty much limit my horror movie viewings today to foreign horror flicks, but those two I mentioned really impressed me.

SA210
09-08-2012, 12:27 AM
That one was cool, I wonder what ever happend to the actors, writers, directors?

The movie did well because it was a great gimmick. A gimmick doesn't make someone a good filmmaker, it just means you had one gimmicky idea that worked. Unfortunately it brought us over a decade of sorry piece of shit reality horror films and shows that I would never pay money to see.

monosylab1k
09-08-2012, 10:08 AM
So wait, JudynTX talks about how excited she is to see some shitty new horror movie, gets called out for her shitty taste in movies, and then takes the "yeah these new horror movies all suck, I liked the old school stuff" route?

:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-08-2012, 10:11 AM
^:lmao

The last "really stupid horror movie" I saw was Human Centipede. Being extremely disgusting and making someone wanna puke doesn't make something scary.

SA210
09-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Crazy how that ended up. Let's see how much nastier, freakier, disgusting we can make movies, let's try a bunch of crazy shaky camera tricks and then call each movie the greatest horror film since "put name here"

lol Instead of thinking...let's make better horror stories and focus on telling them well.

SA210
09-08-2012, 11:32 AM
This is a frickin horror movie lol

lipY6-BlohY

djohn2oo8
09-08-2012, 11:49 AM
^:lmao

The last "really stupid horror movie" I saw was Human Centipede. Being extremely disgusting and making someone wanna puke doesn't make something scary.

And they had the nerve to make a second one :lol