09-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Somewhat surprising.

https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba/status/243761966269730816

lefty
09-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Npw that guy can spread the floor

SenorSpur
09-06-2012, 12:34 PM
WHen, oh when, is this team ever going to shore up it's frontline?

Buddy Holly
09-06-2012, 12:35 PM

Could be a potential Gary Neal replacement if the Patrick Patterson trade happens, or any trade involving Gary.

Spurs da champs
09-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Patterson is undersized garbage! And Kapono?... :nope

TimmehC
09-06-2012, 01:20 PM
This guy couldn't even get on the floor regularly for a team with zero depth last year(Lakers). What the hell would the Spurs want with him?

Venti Quattro
09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
:lol Andray Blatche
:lol Jason Kapono

Dex
09-06-2012, 01:22 PM
:yield

spurraider21
09-06-2012, 01:41 PM
The heir to Matt Bonner's throne

spurraider21
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Could be a potential Gary Neal replacement if the Patrick Patterson trade happens, or any trade involving Gary.

I figured an increased role for Patty Mills would already replace Neal. Neal was functioning as backup point guard with a shooter's mentality. Mills can shoot the lights out and is a better point guard anyway. Neither brings much defensively.

And I know somebody is going to say Neal is a true shooting guard, but with Manu and Green at that position there isn't exactly a whole lot of playing time there.

assuming the trade happens, we wouldn't really need a Neal replacement.

Parker Mills
Green/Manu
Kawhi/Jax
Diaw/Patterson
Duncan/Splitter
and then have De Colo as a combo guard and Bonner serving water

TheCerebral1
09-06-2012, 02:36 PM
The Spurs already have a white guy who can only hit three point shots. He does nothing else. Why would they need a guy like this. Bring in a prospect like Hassan Whiteside who's 7'1" who has upside. Kapono = Epic fail.

SenorSpur
09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
The Spurs already have a white guy who can only hit three point shots. He does nothing else. Why would they need a guy like this. Bring in a prospect like Hassan Whiteside who's 7'1" who has upside. Kapono = Epic fail.

That's the point AND the frustration. This staff keeps auditioning smalls, when they should be searching for bigs.

Solid D
09-06-2012, 02:57 PM
'Dude pulls up for 3 in the layup line.

Hoops Czar
09-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Oh, working out another guard. What a novel idea.

Shifty
09-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Not that it matters much but he is not a small guard. He is actually a 6'8 SF. Just saying.

benefactor
09-06-2012, 03:10 PM
:lol Andray Blatche
:lol Jason Kapono
:lol:lol

Bruno
09-06-2012, 03:19 PM
There is likely nothing to read behind this. NBA teams are inviting numerous players each summer to workouts. Kapono is just one of these players.

Saying that, and give Spurs roster, they should focus on other kind of players. A big bruising center or a young athletic forward should be the priority for the 15th roster spot.

Hoops Czar
09-06-2012, 03:33 PM
There is likely nothing to read behind this. NBA teams are inviting numerous players each summer to workouts. Kapono is just one of these players.

Saying that, and give Spurs roster, they should focus on other kind of players. A big bruising center or a young athletic forward should be the priority for the 15th roster spot.

Sure, I'll call R.C and tell him to pop on over to the local WalMart and see what's left on layaway.

Maddog
09-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Sure, I'll call R.C and tell him to pop on over to the local WalMart and see what's left on layaway.

Sounds like that is exactly what they are doing
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202902

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Butch

MaNu4Tres
09-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Is it really that easy?

The only way they can upgrade is via trade and trades are impossible most of the time because of the many variables that have to be agreed on in a trade proposal.

TD 21
09-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Is it really that easy?

The only way they can upgrade is via trade and trades are impossible most of the time because of the many variables that have to be agreed on in a trade proposal.

So you're saying it's acceptable for a team (supposedly) trying to contend to go nine years without a legit second big? Is that really that difficult to attain? Power forward, in particular -- where their gaping hole has been for the past five years -- is arguably the deepest position in the league.

There's no excuse. We're not talking about a star here; far from it. The vast majority would have been fine with a Blatche, Patterson, etc. Maybe they make them better, maybe they don't. But at least they'd have shown that they're not content being eliminated in the Conference Semis/Finals.

Dex
09-06-2012, 05:48 PM
So you're saying it's acceptable for a team (supposedly) trying to contend to go nine years without a legit second big? Is that really that difficult to attain? Power forward, in particular -- where their gaping hole has been for the past five years -- is arguably the deepest position in the league.

There's no excuse. We're not talking about a star here; far from it. The vast majority would have been fine with a Blatche, Patterson, etc. Maybe they make them better, maybe they don't. But at least they'd have shown that they're not content being eliminated in the Conference Semis/Finals.

While I agree (along with everybody else) with the persistent need for a big and question the lack of an ability to get one (or the seeming lack of effort to even try)...

Let's be realistic here. Being eliminated in the Conference Semis or Finals is still doing better than 26 or 28 teams.

I know that we are all used to the Championship or Bust mentality from 2000-2008, but as much as the flameout hurt last year, reaching the WCF shouldn't be viewed as a complete failure.

ploto
09-06-2012, 05:56 PM
I will laugh at timvp if Kapono ends up on the Spurs!!

TD 21
09-06-2012, 06:01 PM
While I agree (along with everybody else) with the persistent need for a big and question the lack of an ability to get one (or the seeming lack of effort to even try)...

Let's be realistic here. Being eliminated in the Conference Semis or Finals is still doing better than 26 or 28 teams.

I know that we are all used to the Championship or Bust mentality from 2000-2008, but as much as the flameout hurt last year, reaching the WCF shouldn't be viewed as a complete failure.

You're missing the point. It's not that reaching the Conference Finals should be viewed as a failure necessarily. What makes them a failure is that they got to the Conference Finals and have made no effort to raise the ceiling at all (not even in a long shot type of way, like signing Blatche).

When you're one of the four best teams in the league, the mentality should be championship or bust, no matter how unlikely a championship may seem. It doesn't make sense to be that close to something and then quit.

therealtruth
09-06-2012, 06:07 PM

I fail to see how getting a traditional power forward could not help us. We haven't had one in a while. Dice was too old.

Hoops Czar
09-06-2012, 06:14 PM

Who said it would be a complete failure? What's abundantly clear is RC traded away RJ for S-jax with the intention not to win a 5th ring, but to save some friggin cash. If he truly cared about the Spurs winning another ring, he would have continued to build on last season's trade deadline acquisition. Instead, RC and Pop spend the offseason signing guards, of which you had plenty of in the first place. How the hell can you expect to compete with the elite if all the competition around you gets better, and you stand pat.

The past 4 years, this team has had the same glaring weakness, and it has still hasn't been addressed to date.

MaNu4Tres
09-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Um, no. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's very hard and almost impossible to attain a quality starting caliber power forward player that's better than what they already have. It's virtually impossible considering the Spurs' cap-space and considering the assets the Spurs have to trade (or pieces they'd be willing to part with; Stephen Jackson is the only real piece that could bring back a decent proven player on a non-rookie contract; At the same time the other team would have to be willing to part with the player the Spurs want, which is going to be very very tough match to find via trade; Plus I doubt I would even part w/Stephen Jackson because the only thing you'll get in return is a decent player on a bad contract that a team is trying to part with).

Power forward, in particular -- where their gaping hole has been for the past five years -- is arguably the deepest position in the league.

Hate to side with Pop an R.C, because there's things I didn't agree with in the playoffs last year and just about every recent playoff run, but during the past 5 years, I'm pretty sure they've tried there hardest to acquire quality bigs with the assets they had available at each point in time during the past 5 years.

For reminder: They traded for Kurt Thomas, they recruited Drew Gooden off waivers, they signed Antonio McDyess knowing they'd be luxury tax payers, they signed Tiago Splitter, they and Tony Parker recruited Boris Diaw and did everything in their power to fit his new contract in with Danny Green and Tim Duncan's this off-season(which some people deemed impossible)--which was smart because Spurs weren't going to be able to attain a better PF in the FA market.

Spurs have done more than you give them credit for the past 5 years, just because they haven't brought in Dwight Howard or Amare in his prime doesn't mean they haven't done anything to bring in a quality 2nd big. They've tried.

Wild Cobra Kai
09-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Um, no. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's very hard and almost impossible to attain a quality starting caliber power forward player that's better than what they already have. It's virtually impossible considering the Spurs' cap-space and considering the assets the Spurs have to trade (or pieces they'd be willing to part with; Stephen Jackson is the only real piece that could bring back a decent proven player on a non-rookie contract; At the same time the other team would have to be willing to part with the player the Spurs want, which is going to be very very tough match to find via trade; Plus I doubt I would even part w/Stephen Jackson because the only thing you'll get in return is a decent player on a bad contract that a team is trying to part with).

Hate to side with Pop an R.C, because there's things I didn't agree with in the playoffs last year and just about every recent playoff run, but during the past 5 years, I'm pretty sure they've tried there hardest to acquire quality bigs with the assets they had available at each point in time during the past 5 years.

For reminder: They traded for Kurt Thomas, they recruited Drew Gooden off waivers, they signed Antonio McDyess knowing they'd be luxury tax payers, they signed Tiago Splitter, they and Tony Parker recruited Boris Diaw and did everything in their power to fit his new contract in with Danny Green and Tim Duncan's this off-season(which some people deemed impossible)--which was smart because Spurs weren't going to be able to attain a better PF in the FA market.

Spurs have done more than you give them credit for the past 5 years, just because they haven't brought in Dwight Howard or Amare in his prime doesn't mean they haven't done anything to bring in a quality 2nd big. They've tried.

Stop. Your rationality is killing me.

What people don't realize is that sometimes, there isn't an answer. Making a trade for another premier big would likely expose another fatal flaw with what you sent out in return.

timtonymanu
09-06-2012, 06:51 PM

But it's easy to get a Dwight and Amare. Spurs just have to try hard. :cry

spurspokesman
09-06-2012, 06:56 PM
That's the point AND the frustration. This staff keeps auditioning smalls, when they should be searching for bigs.l
This. Its really getting depressing at this point. Thank god for distractions lol.

timtonymanu
09-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I guess working out Butch and Carter, both bigs, doesn't amount to anything. Oh it's because they're scrubs, right?

TD 21
09-06-2012, 07:11 PM

And in the process, you're basically saying that it's acceptable for them to not have found a credible second big for nine years. It's very hard and almost impossible to attain a Howard (unless you're the Lakers), not to acquire a run of the mill starting power forward.

This goes back to my point in the Blatche thread about them being gun shy. They don't have the balls to make a significant trade, because they're content with status quo and don't want to risk messing it up, even if there's the potential for improvement. Splitter is an excellent trade chip and as the centerpiece of a package, they could easily acquire a clear cut starting power forward. He should have been traded for the same reasons Hill was.

Spurs have done more than you give them credit for the past 5 years, just because they haven't brought in Dwight Howard or Amare in his prime doesn't mean they haven't done anything to bring in a quality 2nd big. They've tried.Who said anything about players of that caliber? I specifically said, run of the mill starters. All the names you mentioned were stop gaps. I realize for a few years there, they flat out didn't have the assets to get it done; I'll give them that. But the last few (especially now), they do. No excuse.

Spurs fans have become brainwashed into thinking that because the Spurs rarely do anything of significance, that it's nearly impossible to. Did anyone have the Lakers acquiring Nash? Of far less significance, but still a solid move in it's own right, was the Celtics acquiring Lee. Nobody had that one either. They didn't go, "it's going to be difficult to get these players, so we'll just go with what we have". Trying isn't enough; this is professional sports, not youth sports. It's a results oriented business and they have failed miserably when it comes to filling this hole for going on a decade. They just got away with it for the first half because their first big just so happened to be the best player in the world. And they deserve zero credit for squeezing in under the tax. All the credit goes to Duncan for that.

MaNu4Tres
09-06-2012, 07:18 PM
So which PF should the Spurs gone after via trade that's better than Diaw/Splitter?

Once you do come up with names, is it realistic? Could it have happened if R.C just made the call?

And no Blatche and Patterson aren't upgrades over Diaw/Splitter (the only other two bigs on the roster that will see relevant minutes in the playoffs).

benefactor
09-06-2012, 07:29 PM
And in the process, you're basically saying that it's acceptable for them to not have found a credible second big for nine years. It's very hard and almost impossible to attain a Howard (unless you're the Lakers), not to acquire a run of the mill starting power forward.

This goes back to my point in the Blatche thread about them being gun shy. They don't have the balls to make a significant trade, because they're content with status quo and don't want to risk messing it up, even if there's the potential for improvement. Splitter is an excellent trade chip and as the centerpiece of a package, they could easily acquire a clear cut starting power forward. He should have been traded for the same reasons Hill was.

Who said anything about players of that caliber? I specifically said, run of the mill starters. All the names you mentioned were stop gaps. I realize for a few years there, they flat out didn't have the assets to get it done; I'll give them that. But the last few (especially now), they do. No excuse.

Spurs fans have become brainwashed into thinking that because the Spurs rarely do anything of significance, that it's nearly impossible to. Did anyone have the Lakers acquiring Nash? Of far less significance, but still a solid move in it's own right, was the Celtics acquiring Lee. Nobody had that one either. They didn't go, "it's going to be difficult to get these players, so we'll just go with what we have". Trying isn't enough; this is professional sports, not youth sports. It's a results oriented business and they have failed miserably when it comes to filling this hole for going on a decade. They just got away with it for the first half because their first big just so happened to be the best player in the world. And they deserve zero credit for squeezing in under the tax. All the credit goes to Duncan for that.
MiKLfkSpjoI

TD 21
09-06-2012, 07:42 PM
So which PF should the Spurs gone after via trade that's better than Diaw/Splitter?

Once you do come up with names, is it realistic? Could it have happened if R.C just made the call?

And no Blatche and Patterson aren't upgrades over Diaw/Splitter (the only other two bigs on the roster that will see relevant minutes in the playoffs).

Typical cliche response in these situations. So by my saying they haven't done their jobs in this respect, it means I should do it for them?

I'm not advocating all of them (it shouldn't be too difficult to differentiate), but these are the ones I think they'd have anywhere from a realistic shot at acquiring to they could have them in a second if they wanted them: Smith, Thomas, Boozer, Varejao and Millsap. In some cases, it would take a third team to acquire them, no question. Knock the fit, contract, etc., of a lot of them all you want, just remember, three are clear cut better than Splitter (four than Diaw) and all are arguably better fits than Splitter. Also, before you go bringing up the future cap space, does it matter? Other than Thomas, it's not like they'll be able to sign a better player in free agency anyway.

Who said Blatche/Patterson are upgrades over Diaw/Splitter? I meant I'd rather have them than Bonner/Blair as the fourth big.

DeadlyDynasty
09-06-2012, 08:01 PM
TD21:lmao:lmao:lmao

TD 21
09-06-2012, 08:04 PM
TD21:lmao:lmao:lmao

:lol Thinking Howard is indisputably better than Robinson because he got to one Finals as a lead dog.

:lol Pretending to be some cool, laid back guy, then losing it when I expose him for not knowing shit.

DeadlyDynasty
09-06-2012, 08:08 PM
:lol Thinking Howard is indisputably better than Robinson because he got to one Finals as a lead dog.

:lol Pretending to be some cool, laid back guy, then losing it when I expose him for not knowing shit.
:lmao Saying Robinson would've made it to the Finals w/o Duncan
:lolDwight taking his team farther without HCA than Davey ever took his team w/ HCA.
:lolpissing into the wind
:lolget shit on by everybody again then claiming victory

TD 21
09-06-2012, 08:22 PM
:lmao Saying Robinson would've made it to the Finals w/o Duncan
:lolDwight taking his team farther without HCA than Davey ever took his team w/ HCA.
:lolpissing into the wind
:lolget shit on by everybody again then claiming victory

:lol Lacking reading comprehension
:lol Best player on reigning champs missing playoffs

So because you're a dumb Lakers fan who doesn't want the Spurs to improve, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be trying to? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

Get back downstairs with the other 30 something retards who think it's fun to act like a 10 year old.

DeadlyDynasty
09-06-2012, 08:24 PM
:lol Lacking reading comprehension
:lol Best player on reigning champs missing playoffs

So because you're a dumb Lakers fan who doesn't want the Spurs to improve, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be trying to? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

Get back downstairs with the other 30 something retards who think it's fun to act like a 10 year old.
Take a look at this thread, b...there's only one retard posting in it and he's on the wrong side of a bukkake right now (AGAIN).

I'll give you a minute to marinate on it and guess who that person is though.:lol

Dex
09-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Stop. Your rationality is killing me.

What people don't realize is that sometimes, there isn't an answer. Making a trade for another premier big would likely expose another fatal flaw with what you sent out in return.

Why can't the Spurs turn Matt Bonner and Dejuan Blair into Dwight Howard or LeMarcus Aldridge!? :bang

KobeSynco_TimQuattro
09-06-2012, 08:49 PM
:lmao

TD 21
09-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Take a look at this thread, b...there's only one retard posting in it and he's on the wrong side of a bukkake right now (AGAIN).

I'll give you a minute to marinate on it and guess who that person is though.:lol

No, there's two: you and the fat boy. At least he was smart enough to leave before he caught another beating though.

:lol b . . . so now you're a wigger
:lol thinking the Spurs shouldn't try to improve
:lol pretending to be gone, when you're clearly still lurking

itzsoweezee
09-06-2012, 08:54 PM
that guy is done. washed up. why are the spurs wasting time on him?

mexpurs21
09-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Just no

Dr. John R. Brinkley
09-06-2012, 09:00 PM
For one, I think they should just play Splitter a lot more. That's the easiest way to improve the big man situation because he's already on the team.

Secondly, while I understand the need to improve the big rotation I'm not expecting them to get a great player without giving up something. What I do think is reasonable is that they should be trying to develop and/or take a chance on a big man with a high upside albeit with some risks. They drafted the guy from England (who seems so far away from contributing that I can't even remember his name) so I know the intent is there but I don't think they are making it enough of a focus.

Obstructed_View
09-06-2012, 09:07 PM

Matt Bonner and smallball using up the final years of Tim Duncan's career was the complete failure. It's underscored with every big body passed up in favor of someone who can hit from 30 feet away.

gospursgojas
09-06-2012, 09:26 PM
I remember this guy got a max contract didnt he? Toronto?

Russo21
09-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Im fine if we sign Kapono if it means a Bonner trade is in the works :-)

jjktkk
09-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Matt Bonner and smallball using up the final years of Tim Duncan's career was the complete failure. It's underscored with every big body passed up in favor of someone who can hit from 30 feet away.

Do you have a list of all these big bodies the Spurs passed up on?

Wild Cobra Kai
09-06-2012, 11:11 PM
I remember this guy got a max contract didnt he? Toronto?

Nah, full boat MLE deal. Under the old CBA, I think it was about 5yrs/$35M.

:lol And people still bitch because Bonner makes like $3M a year.

slick'81
09-06-2012, 11:18 PM
another underachieving white guy hes def spur material

ElNono
09-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Do you have a list of all these big bodies the Spurs passed up on?

As soon as you give me the list of big man that were either free agents or traded in the past 5 seasons or so, we can then narrow it down...

Then again, it took the FO about 4 seasons to fill the huge gap left in the wing when Bowen was let go (and that included re-signing RJ for an albatross deal), so I'm not sold this team won't toss another retarded deal at Matty when his contract is up, instead of using some of that somewhere else...

ElNono
09-07-2012, 12:46 AM
And fuck Kapono, another park at the 3 point line guy that can't dribble or do shit...

Blackjack
09-07-2012, 01:02 AM
'Tres bringin' the goods, per usual.

I get the frustration, Pop and Co. haven't exactly gotten it done, whether it be with on-court or personnel decisions. But it's not like they can bolster the frontline with a first or second string big just because they want and need it - they'd essentially be robbin' Peter to pay Paul with their assets.

And maybe that's why Layden was brought aboard. There's plenty to knock about the guy, but he's also been responsible for a lot of trades, built a lot of relationships with front offices across the league - somethin' that might be useful to a team that seems to have most feelin' they'd be gettin' had if they made a deal with 'em. ... Almost a stigma of success, teams not wantin' to be responsible for it - especially not for a team from San Antonio, leavin' them no excuse for their ineptitude.

The Spurs don't need any more depth, they need star power. And that's only gonna come via trade, so guys like Kapono or whoever else (we're talkin 15th man, end of the bench minutes - a little more than insignificant to a championship contender) are what they are.

They need some good fortune via trade. But that don't mean it's gonna happen or that it's in their means to do so. They just ain't the championship-caliber team of yesteryear, and Father Time's to blame.

Wild Cobra Kai
09-07-2012, 07:18 AM
As soon as you give me the list of big man that were either free agents or traded in the past 5 seasons or so, we can then narrow it down...

Then again, it took the FO about 4 seasons to fill the huge gap left in the wing when Bowen was let go (and that included re-signing RJ for an albatross deal), so I'm not sold this team won't toss another retarded deal at Matty when his contract is up, instead of using some of that somewhere else...

Bruce played until the summer of 2009. Kawhi was drafted in the summer of 2011. The board melodrama continues.

racm
09-07-2012, 08:52 AM

I get the frustration, Pop and Co. haven't exactly gotten it done, whether it be with on-court or personnel decisions. But it's not like they can bolster the frontline with a first or second string big just because they want and need it - they'd essentially be robbin' Peter to pay Paul with their assets.

And maybe that's why Layden was brought aboard. There's plenty to knock about the guy, but he's also been responsible for a lot of trades, built a lot of relationships with front offices across the league - somethin' that might be useful to a team that seems to have most feelin' they'd be gettin' had if they made a deal with 'em. ... Almost a stigma of success, teams not wantin' to be responsible for it - especially not for a team from San Antonio, leavin' them no excuse for their ineptitude.

The Spurs don't need any more depth, they need star power. And that's only gonna come via trade, so guys like Kapono or whoever else (we're talkin 15th man, end of the bench minutes - a little more than insignificant to a championship contender) are what they are.

They need some good fortune via trade. But that don't mean it's gonna happen or that it's in their means to do so. They just ain't the championship-caliber team of yesteryear, and Father Time's to blame.

Ex-acto-mundo. The Spurs are not in a situation where they can just sign an All-NBA First Team to a max contract, as they are way over the cap and are skirting the luxury tax line, nor can they trade for those - the Spurs do not sign albatross contracts with abandon that RJ's contract was the outlier.

And when it came down to it the Spurs essentially traded Bruce Bowen and George Hill for Kawhi Leonard and Stephen Jackson. Sure, the biggest mistake was re-signing Jefferson, but Pop and RC salvaged that situation.

As for the big men... you do realize the only way to get one of the better ones would be to trade away one of Parker/Ginobili/Jackson? None of the bigs on the roster save Duncan make an eight digit salary, and hell, Diaw's the highest paid with an MLE salary, and I'm not complaining about his contract. As for Bonner, while I do not appreciate his uselessness in the playoffs (where defenses pay heed to three point specialists), he's not overpaid; if you want overpaid, look at our old friend Steve Novak and his 4 yr/15 million paycheck.

Bruce played until the summer of 2009. Kawhi was drafted in the summer of 2011. The board melodrama continues.

Think it's because Kawhi didn't earn full-time starter status until the Dick Jefferson. :lol

jag
09-07-2012, 10:29 AM
TD 21's shitty posting is incredibly underrated. He's consistently dished out horrible takes for years now, but I think people let it slide because he comes off as so sincere. TDMVPDPOY is the worst of the worst, but everyone knows that, so people don't take him seriously and write 1000 word essays in response to his borderline retarded posts.

TD 21 is like a strange combination of chazley, Spurs90210 and Joe Chalupa. I can't help but wonder why people continue to debate that sorry ass dude.

jjktkk
09-07-2012, 03:12 PM

I don't have a list, thats why I requested one. Seems like quite a few folks on here think the FO routinely passes on quite a few starting caliber bigs. I'm curious as to some of the names of these players.

TD 21
09-07-2012, 04:24 PM

So let me get this straight. They can't, in 9 years, acquire a run of the mill starter (at arguably the league's deepest position, no less), but the Lakers can acquire multiple future Hall-of-Famers with little to no trade assets? And this should be acceptable to Spurs fans because they "tried"? I just want to look back one time at the back half of this era and go, "That year, they went for it. They were bold and didn't play it safe".

Peter to pay Paul, my ass. They could easily package up the excess depth, along with draft picks/rights, for a second big and still be left with a solid top 8-9. Had they done this early in the summer before almost every credible player had signed, they could have signed 1-2 respectable veterans to the minimum and still had two solid units.

And it's amazing how many of you no attention span losers, who supposedly can't stand me, come flocking to my posts constantly. I guess it's just coincidence that the traffic in a thread increases exponentially after I post. I swear, this is the most sensitive board I've ever seen. If we're not all holding hands and singing kumbaya, then people are upset. It's beyond bizarre. Me and 'Tres were having a friendly debate and suddenly the mob feels as if they need to come to the rescue. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

jjktkk
09-07-2012, 04:52 PM
So let me get this straight. They can't, in 9 years, acquire a run of the mill starter (at arguably the league's deepest position, no less), but the Lakers can acquire multiple future Hall-of-Famers with little to no trade assets? And this should be acceptable to Spurs fans because they "tried"? I just want to look back one time at the back half of this era and go, "That year, they went for it. They were bold and didn't play it safe".

Peter to pay Paul, my ass. They could easily package up the excess depth, along with draft picks/rights, for a second big and still be left with a solid top 8-9. Had they done this early in the summer before almost every credible player had signed, they could have signed 1-2 respectable veterans to the minimum and still had two solid units.

Have you ever explored the the tried and true method of waking the fuck up? I know trades for starting caliber bigs are very real in your fantasy GM world, but not so much in the real world.

lmbebo
09-07-2012, 05:02 PM
I just wanted to be apart of the post :)

I think I said already, I'd take Kapono if it meant using Neal/Bonner/Blair to improve front court depth.

TD 21
09-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Have you ever explored the the tried and true method of waking the fuck up? I know trades for starting caliber bigs are very real in your fantasy GM world, but not so much in the real world.

I knew you'd eventually make an appearance. I've got some advice for you: take your own advice. Nine years without acquiring a true starting PF is unacceptable (honestly, has there been an easier position to fill with a legit starter in the past decade?), especially for a team that has supposedly been trying to contend. No amount of excuses, no matter who they come from, is going to change that.

I'll give you credit though, at least you didn't pretend I said anything about a Howard, Stoudemire, etc.

Obstructed_View
09-07-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't have a list, thats why I requested one. Seems like quite a few folks on here think the FO routinely passes on quite a few starting caliber bigs. I'm curious as to some of the names of these players.

Hmmm...Ian Mahinmi, Theo Ratliff, Tiago Splitter, Luis Scola are the first four that come to mind. All within the Spurs' control to acquire, give time to, or retain. Three of the four dumped in favor of three point shooting, one wasted on the bench for a season of Tim Duncan's productive years.

God damn, it's like some of you don't even watch the team. It's like 2006 never happened for some of you.

Ice009
09-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Hmmm...Ian Mahinmi, Theo Ratliff, Tiago Splitter, Luis Scola are the first four that come to mind. All within the Spurs' control to acquire, give time to, or retain. Three of the four dumped in favor of three point shooting, one wasted on the bench for a season of Tim Duncan's productive years.

God damn, it's like some of you don't even watch the team. It's like 2006 never happened for some of you.

great post.

ElNono
09-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Bowen was already demoted by the time he was traded. After the '08 debacle with LA, Pop never look at him the same and started to drastically cut down his role. And last season basically started in 2012, that's where I get the 4 years from, but feel free to make it 3 if it helps you sleep better at night.

ElNono
09-07-2012, 08:19 PM

Well, sometimes you gotta wonder if they're even looking... Outside of Dice, everything else has been half assed or just not really defensive (ie: Gooden, Diaw).

Mhak
09-07-2012, 08:22 PM
This shit sickens me!!! Kapono for a work out! Come on, Not even worth looking at.

sananspursfan21
09-07-2012, 10:53 PM
I knew you'd eventually make an appearance. I've got some advice for you: take your own advice. Nine years without acquiring a true starting PF is unacceptable (honestly, has there been an easier position to fill with a legit starter in the past decade?), especially for a team that has supposedly been trying to contend. No amount of excuses, no matter who they come from, is going to change that.

I'll give you credit though, at least you didn't pretend I said anything about a Howard, Stoudemire, etc.

9 years for a pf huh? Tim Duncan has been the starting pf for half of that and i dont think anyone was complaining. this whole front court hysteria has been going on the past 4 seasons, not 9.

Blackjack
09-07-2012, 10:56 PM
TD, I'm talkin' present-tense.

Should they have been focusin' their efforts on the front line a good while ago? Yeah.

Would they have found what they needed? Maybe; but they should have been focusin' their efforts there instead of tryin' to morph a team into somethin' they're not, and somethin' that deviates from the philosophy that brought 'em 4 titles.

But it's done, over with. Decent bigs, guys you're essentially takin' a flier on ain't what's gonna get it done. If they wanna get the help they need, the Big 3's gonna have to be broken up. And with age of Tim and Manu, the fact that tradin' Parker will most likely be robbin' Peter to pay Paul, it is what it is - they ain't the Lakers, they ain't gonna get helped out.

jjktkk
09-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Well, sometimes you gotta wonder if they're even looking... Outside of Dice, everything else has been half assed or just not really defensive (ie: Gooden, Diaw).

Absolutely, I know, but being realistic about the Spurs's landing a premeir bigman are few and far between. S.A. is not a preferred destination for top free agents. The FO rarely spends on FAs., etc... Its the same old song, but it is what it is.

Bruno
09-08-2012, 12:00 PM
This shit sickens me!!! Kapono for a work out! Come on, Not even worth looking at.

Well, it depends on how much players Spurs have for workouts this summer.

If they have a lot of players at workouts, let's say at least 20 player, then you can't really be upset with them looking at a player like Kapono.
If they don't have a lot of players at workouts, let's say around 10 players, then there is something wrong. It could be that they are high on Kapono which would be stupid and/or that free agents aren't really interest in working out with Spurs.

My guess is that Spurs are indeed looking at a lot of players because it's what they usually do. For example, they invite to a workout a lot of prospects for the draft even some marginal ones.

Now, if Spurs are seriously considering adding another SF, Derrick Brown, a player that has too worked out for Spurs this summer, seems a way better choice than Kapono.

TD 21
09-08-2012, 05:39 PM
TD, I'm talkin' present-tense.

Should they have been focusin' their efforts on the front line a good while ago? Yeah.

Would they have found what they needed? Maybe; but they should have been focusin' their efforts there instead of tryin' to morph a team into somethin' they're not, and somethin' that deviates from the philosophy that brought 'em 4 titles.

But it's done, over with. Decent bigs, guys you're essentially takin' a flier on ain't what's gonna get it done. If they wanna get the help they need, the Big 3's gonna have to be broken up. And with age of Tim and Manu, the fact that tradin' Parker will most likely be robbin' Peter to pay Paul, it is what it is - they ain't the Lakers, they ain't gonna get helped out.

I realize Blatche, Patterson, etc., aren't what's going to get it done, but at least it would show they're trying to rectify their biggest areas of need and aren't content being eliminated in the Conference Semis/Finals.

I disagree about the big three needing to be broken up to get the help they need. This team is loaded with various trade assets, ranging from very good (Splitter), to good (Jackson, because of his contract), to decent (Blair, Neal), to movable (Joseph and Bonner, because this is his final fully guaranteed season). Plus, there's always future picks (the value would depend on the year) and overseas rights. So they don't need to get helped out.

sananspursfan21, that's mere semantics. The reality is, since center is far more difficult to fill with quality, they always had the option of shifting Duncan to center full time from '03 on, if that was what it took to acquire a legit starting big.

benefactor
09-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Horrible take is again horrible.

TD 21
09-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Horrible take is again horrible.

Says the guy who thinks Durant is the best player in the league. :rollin
Sure, I've made my share of incorrect predictions (everybody does; it's part and parcel), but that goes way beyond that. Excluding trolls, that is quite possibly the dumbest statement I've ever seen on a message board. If you had an ounce of credibility before that, you lost it with that, fat boy.

thOOdee
09-09-2012, 05:21 PM

you just got my vote for president

GoodOdor
09-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Says the guy who thinks Durant is the best player in the league. :rollin
Sure, I've made my share of incorrect predictions (everybody does; it's part and parcel), but that goes way beyond that. Excluding trolls, that is quite possibly the dumbest statement I've ever seen on a message board. If you had an ounce of credibility before that, you lost it with that, fat boy.

I don't see how his statetment is stupid - Durant was number 2 in MVP voting, after all.

Certainly not as bad when you went emo after timvp claimed the thunder could still beat the spurs after the first 2 games...(:depressed:depressedhow dare you:depressed:depressed the thunder have nothing to hurt the spurs with:depressed:depressed they are not even contenders!!!:depressed:depressed:depressed).

TD 21
09-09-2012, 08:30 PM
I don't see how his statetment is stupid - Durant was number 2 in MVP voting, after all.

Certainly not as bad when you went emo after timvp claimed the thunder could still beat the spurs after the first 2 games...(:depressed:depressedhow dare you:depressed:depressed the thunder have nothing to hurt the spurs with:depressed:depressed they are not even contenders!!!:depressed:depressed:depressed).

You just proved you were with that statement. James is so clearly the best player in the game (and has been for some time) that saying anyone but him is stupid. There is no other candidate.

If you're going to call someone out, get the facts straight. I not only didn't call him out after game 2, but I expressed concern myself after that game. I did call him out before the series for hoping more than truly believing and for being typical worried Spurs fan even though the team was the midst of a historical run and had handled the Thunder for a few years. But I also said all along that, despite my picking the Spurs in five, the Thunder were capable of winning the series. The reason I thought they weren't true contenders was because I thought they couldn't beat the Spurs AND Heat . . . which turned out to be spot on.

DMC
09-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't have a problem with working anyone out. We didn't do bad last year, we just hit our limit. There's not enough available talent to overcome the deficiencies the Spurs have against top tier teams. We will do good to get back to the 2nd round, and the WCF is a bonus. No way in hell we see a Finals in the next 5 years. Even if we tanked and got 2 consecutive 1st overall picks, the talent likely won't be there.

It's going to be the Heat/Thunder with a decent chance for the Lakers to make another appearance. The rest of us are just jockeying for extra games in the post season.

Ice009
09-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Hmm Jason Kapono should not be working out for the Spurs at all. I wonder wtf they are doing.

Has he ever proven to be a pressure 3 point shooter? Has he even played in any big games to even test that?

dylankerouac
09-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Bonner replacement? Yes, please.

temujin
09-10-2012, 06:28 AM
I'd rather have Bill Kennedy and Joey Crawford working out for the Spurs.

therealtruth
09-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Hmm Jason Kapono should not be working out for the Spurs at all. I wonder wtf they are doing.

Has he ever proven to be a pressure 3 point shooter? Has he even played in any big games to even test that?

As we saw with Neal it doesn't matter how good a shooter you are if you're defense is terrible. Same thing with Bonner. To join the team your defense should be better than both of them.

Ice009
09-10-2012, 10:25 AM
As we saw with Neal it doesn't matter how good a shooter you are if you're defense is terrible. Same thing with Bonner. To join the team your defense should be better than both of them.

There is no need to mention his defense at all. Of course it sucks. All I can think of for Kapono is a second stint with the Spurs Steve Kerr type of role, not even regular rotation minutes like Gary Neal, but an end of the bench Steve Kerr type of role. Kerr has hit tons of big shots though and I don't even know if Kapono has played in many big games or hit any tough game breaking type of shots? Has he ever made any pressure three point shots in big games?

If he hasn't, and that is not the role the Spurs are thinking of for him, then he shouldn't be getting a work out at all.

ace3g
09-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Rocky Padila ‏@RockyPadila

According to a source, Japeth Aguilar is set to have a private work out with the San Antonio Spurs and Orlando Magic this week.

Fireball
09-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Rocky Padila ‏@RockyPadila

According to a source, Japeth Aguilar is set to have a private work out with the San Antonio Spurs and Orlando Magic this week.

According to Wikipedia this guy was "drafted" by the Burger King Whoppers? :lmao

ace3g
09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Here is some more info on him:

http://www.asianjournal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17235&catid=49

Duncan2177
09-10-2012, 11:00 AM
According to Wikipedia this guy was "drafted" by the Burger King Whoppers? :lmao

wtf :lol

ace3g
09-10-2012, 11:03 AM
well he can dunk over Kevin Durant...

sHc-zFKkj4A

oh, how would Spurs fans feel if they acquired Anthony Davis and Harden

http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-articles/september/what-the-hell-is-hornets-anthony-davis-doing-in-san-antonio.html

Obviously joking, but I wonder what is going on in SA, why they are visiting, maybe something similar to why KG was visiting a few months ago.

flipspursfan
09-10-2012, 12:03 PM
An undersized flip like Japeth Aguilar wouldn't help the Spurs at this point at all.

ace3g
09-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Here is why Davis and Harden are in SA:

A majority of New Orleans Hornets players, including No. 1 draft pick Anthony Davis and rookie guard Austin Rivers, are in San Antonio this week for voluntary workouts with the San Antonio Spurs and Oklahoma City Thunder.

Hornets spokesman Dennis Rogers said players put themselves through intense five-on-five scrimmages last week at the Alario Center to prepare for this week's work.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2012/09/new_orleans_hornets_players_pa.html

ace3g
09-18-2012, 08:34 PM
New Orleans Hornets players gained valuable experience in San Antonio

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2012/09/new_orleans_hornets_players_ga.html

RodNIc91
09-18-2012, 10:09 PM
You scared the sh*t out of me ace3g jajajaj for a sec there I thought the spurs had sign kapono

rmt
09-18-2012, 10:55 PM
For some unknown reason, the Spurs seem to ignore the glaring weakness up front and continue to recruit guards. How many SGs can one have on a team? Meanwhile, they let go bigs who become serviceable on other teams (see Ian, Theo) and sit Splitter on the bench for the better part of a year. Should have kept Ian, who would have added some well needed depth and get rid of Bonner and Blair. Get tired of seeing opponents shoot over them and/or muscle them out of the way.

Duncan2177
09-18-2012, 11:03 PM
For some unknown reason, the Spurs seem to ignore the glaring weakness up front and continue to recruit guards. How many SG can one have on a team? Meanwhile, they let go bigs who become serviceable on other teams (see Ian, Theo) and sit Splitter on the bench for the better part of a year. Should have kept Ian, who would have added some well needed depth and get rid of Bonner and Blair. Get tired of seeing opponents shoot over them and/or muscle them out of the way.

It's really bizarre.

rmt
09-18-2012, 11:14 PM
It's really bizarre.

Seems like a recurring theme since Mavs 06 playoffs - Pop just doesn't seem to care about real bigs anymore. Can't he see the height and length of LAL and OKC?

therealtruth
09-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Seems like a recurring theme since Mavs 06 playoffs - Pop just doesn't seem to care about real bigs anymore. Can't he see the height and length of LAL and OKC?

You can afford to not care about the bigs if you're small ball is good enough. But that wasn't true till end of last season. With Jax or Diaw at the 4 might be able to work in alot of cases.

T Park
09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Where are these bigs the spurs are allegedly "ignoring"...

Obstructed_View
09-19-2012, 02:25 PM

Dude, welcome back, but you really need to read the whole thread before posting.

Ice009
09-19-2012, 10:52 PM

Saying this in a Jason Kapono thread is totally retarded. Nearly anyone, big, small, whatever is better than Kapono.

Wild Cobra Kai
09-19-2012, 11:49 PM

OKC isn't that fucking big. I don't care what they list Perkins at, he's not a hair over 6'8 1/2". Ibaka is about 6'9 1/2". OKC did NOT beat us with size.

Ice009
09-20-2012, 12:49 AM
OKC isn't that fucking big. I don't care what they list Perkins at, he's not a hair over 6'8 1/2". Ibaka is about 6'9 1/2". OKC did NOT beat us with size.

LAL I will agree that they are big, but like you said, no way is OKC a big team. They do have a lot of guys though that I consider to be mobile bigs. Although most of their big men aren't over 7 feet tall, and apart from Perkins, they are all mobile, which makes it hard to defend those guys.

That's why apart from a mobile PF/C, the Spurs also need more mobile SF/PF types that are at least 6'8" and taller. Looking at more small forwards even without trading Jax makes a lot of sense. That's why I also agreed with Ace3g when he said he wanted the Spurs to get Dominic McGuire. Spurs need a 3rd mobile SF/PF type of player that can give Kawhi and Jack a rest during games, and just simply for more depth overall too.

So, if the Spurs can't get a true big then they still need to get more mobile SF/PF types. That's definitely second on my list of needs for the team.

Jason Kapono on the other hand doesn't make any sense at all. Thought I would throw that in there since we are in a Jason Kapono thread ;).

racm
09-20-2012, 02:31 AM
The days of deploying two centers in your frontcourt are over. Only the Lakers are dead set on doing it.

Miami won a championship with a 6'8" PF. OKC reached the Finals with a 7 foot scoring threat... who plays on the perimeter and has no post game to speak of. Hand checking and zone defenses have all but eliminated the high-volume post scoring big man.

therealtruth
09-20-2012, 08:16 AM

They definitely made Duncan work for his points more than the previous series. OKC has good frontcourt defense. Their weakness is frontcourt offense which gets you easy baskets. Lebron finally wins a championship when he figures that out. Jordan realized that and that's why he was able to win consistently.

therealtruth
09-20-2012, 08:17 AM
The days of deploying two centers in your frontcourt are over. Only the Lakers are dead set on doing it.

Miami won a championship with a 6'8" PF. OKC reached the Finals with a 7 foot scoring threat... who plays on the perimeter and has no post game to speak of. Hand checking and zone defenses have all but eliminated the high-volume post scoring big man.

As much as your trying to deemphasize post scoring the Heat finally won a championship when Lebron improved his post scoring.

Obstructed_View
09-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Miami also plays amazing defense at every position. If the Spurs can do that, then I'll give them a pass. Until then, I'd like a shot blocker. Some of you guys talking about bigs on the offensive end need your heads examined. It's the Spurs' ability to stop the other team from scoring that put those banners in the rafters.