PDA

View Full Version : Is TP's nationality the cause of hate ?

kurd
06-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi there

I'm a French fan of the spurs. At first I was interested in them because of TP (he was my favorite player back when he played in Paris), but then I began to love the whole team, and now they're my spurs. I went to SA to see them in game 1 against seattle and game 7 against detroit.

Recently I've been spending much time on these forums and i've seen much hate for TP. So I have a question: do people hate him because of the current bad relationship between France and the US (iraq war, and so on) and so because he's French, or because of his game ?

As for me I think he had a pretty bad series against Detroit, but had a solid season and good games against the sonics and the suns. So I would rather say people got a problem with the fact he's French, and that pisses me off, because I have the feeling that tensions between our countries that come from politics cause hate on issues that are not related to politics, like basketball in TP's case .

Anyway please answer honestly.

Vashner
06-25-2005, 12:44 PM
No I don't think so. He's on the in crowd right now for a 23 year old.

It's not like he comes out with political statements. He's smart to keep quiet and smile when it comes to the 5th Crusade.

EDIT: OH if you are looking at the posts that say trade TP those are not real Spurs fans just bandwagoners.

Crafty One
06-25-2005, 12:47 PM
His games bin lacking a little bit so thats why. But when Your going against a team that says "if he drives the lane hack him and hope for no call" with a player thats nota great ft shooter his numbers are going to be down.

TheAfricanFan
06-25-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't hate TP, just think that we could be a lot deadlier with other starting PG. He could be a great sub for our team I think but that's impossible.

Slomo
06-25-2005, 12:53 PM
I don't hate TP, just think that we could be a lot deadlier with other starting PG. He could be a great sub for our team I think but that's impossible.
Who?

Summers
06-25-2005, 12:55 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with him being French; however, his Frenchness is a convenient way to make fun of him. :lol I love Tony.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-25-2005, 01:02 PM
No more than Bruce Bowen's nationality is. America doesn't exactly have a political fan club these days (besides Fox News of course).

No, I don't think most Spurs fans are thinking politically about Tony Parker (who is actually from Belgium anyway).

I think people get frustrated with Tony for several reasons:
1. He misses his free throws, and his jumper is erratic.
2. He can be a great ball handler, and is the fastest player in the NBA, but too often he tightens up, cautiously bringing the ball up court ass first, running the clock down to 13 or less in the process. (That's actually my biggest beef with TP--I'd rather that he run it up agressively like Bary or Manu. Of course they're bigger so it's easier to protect the ball).
3. Sometimes he comes out flat and appears disinterested--spaced out even. Yet watch the regular season games where he smoked Nash like Canadian bacon, or dueled it out with Baron Davis in two overtimes after doing the same the night before in LA. That uneven emotional output is frustrating to watch when you know he has it in him.

4. He has said several times that he waits for his "turn" to score. Screw that--smok 'em if you got 'em. Of course there are also times where Manu has been hot as hell, but TP has not gotten him the ball. His decision making is improved, but he's still growing.

A lot of people bitch about his tendency to overpenetrate. That doesn't bother me--its going to happen occasionally in our offense.

Tony pisses me off occasionally, but he hasn't reached his ceiling yet, and I think he has a bright future with the Spurs.

ICE3000
06-25-2005, 01:03 PM
TP is the best pg for us right now he has youth on his side plus he has not even began to peek yet Tony will eventually go down as one of the most beloved spurs pg's ever

violentkitten
06-25-2005, 01:09 PM
i really wish that the virtual gm's in here would stop trading tony parker. that is the most fucking stupid idea i've read in these forum in quite some time. who the fuck are you going to get? who? come on motherfuckers, put up or shut up.

so tony isn't perfect. no shit. here's a newsflash: neither is tim duncan. fuck, the other 2 members of the big 3 looked pretty erratic in the nba finals themselves.

another thing, stop looking at the fucking boxscore to bring a basketball take. i know i didnt see many 'trade tony' threads during the western conference finals. parker was huge in the spurs' game 1 and 2 victories in the finals and he was definitely huge in their game 5 and 7 wins on the defensive end. if tony didn't nut up and guard rip hamilton at the end of ot like he did in game 5 then we wouldn't be having a river parade today.

so fuck you all, tony haters. the kid has everything you could possibly want in a point guard.

Seru Giran
06-25-2005, 01:11 PM
No more than Bruce Bowen's nationality is. America doesn't exactly have a political fan club these days (besides Fox News of course).

No, I don't think most Spurs fans are thinking politically about Tony Parker (who is actually from Belgium anyway).

I think people get frustrated with Tony for several reasons:
1. He misses his free throws, and his jumper is erratic.
2. He can be a great ball handler, and is the fastest player in the NBA, but too often he tightens up, cautiously bringing the ball up court ass first, running the clock down to 13 or less in the process. (That's actually my biggest beef with TP--I'd rather that he run it up agressively like Bary or Manu. Of course they're bigger so it's easier to protect the ball).
3. Sometimes he comes out flat and appears disinterested--spaced out even. Yet watch the regular season games where he smoked Nash like Canadian bacon, or dueled it out with Baron Davis in two overtimes after doing the same the night before in LA. That uneven emotional output is frustrating to watch when you know he has it in him.

4. He has said several times that he waits for his "turn" to score. Screw that--smok 'em if you got 'em. Of course there are also times where Manu has been hot as hell, but TP has not gotten him the ball. His decision making is improved, but he's still growing.

A lot of people bitch about his tendency to overpenetrate. That doesn't bother me--its going to happen occasionally in our offense.

Tony pisses me off occasionally, but he hasn't reached his ceiling yet, and I think he has a bright future with the Spurs.

what he said

Sense
06-25-2005, 01:12 PM

You're a bandwagon fan.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Any hate on Tony regarding his nationality is all in fun.

I think the frustration with him for most people centers around his abysmal FT shooting and dumb decisions he makes on offense at times.

There were too many times when he'd dribble out an entire possession without anyone else on the team even touching the ball, then fire up a bad shot, that he had no business taking. Going one on three is another one of his favorite screw ups.

And the other biggie for me is I can't even remember how many times he'd have the ball in his hands at the end of a quarter and try and do it all by himself. I think out of the 20 or so times he was in that situation in the playoffs we might have gotten a bucket off of one of those.

TDMVPDPOY
06-25-2005, 01:19 PM
His had bad playoffs series for 3 years in a row now and it pisses you off when he dissapears or has no impact in the game when his tottaly shut down, he has no other areas in his game to compensate it. His just a average PG IMO. i trade him now in a heart beat since his got value.

Wait till beno gets more playin time and experience and know the system better and confident in himself to run the spurs system he will take parkers starting position at half price, then good-bye parker :D :D

Seru Giran
06-25-2005, 01:23 PM
All I have to say about France is this: "Allez le bleu"

And I'm sure this is irrelevant for most of you, but I love french Rugby, Serge Blanco, Berbizier, Eric Champ, Phillip Sella, etc

Sense
06-25-2005, 01:33 PM
His had bad playoffs series for 3 years in a row now and it pisses you off when he dissapears or has no impact in the game when his tottaly shut down, he has no other areas in his game to compensate it. His just a average PG IMO. i trade him now in a heart beat since his got value.

Wait till beno gets more playin time and experience and know the system better and confident in himself to run the spurs system he will take parkers starting position at half price, then good-bye parker :D :D

Bad playoff series for 3 years in a row?

Yet we have 2 championships when he's on the team. We're winning....

No impact on the game? He's the fastest player in the nba with the ball...and the best penetrating PG, maybe that's why hamilton was guarding him?

He's not average, that's why he's a Spur... did you just say he has great value? WHy do you think he does?

He's inconsistent, but bad playoff series 3 years in a row? WTF DID YOU GET THAT IDEA?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2005, 01:36 PM
i trade him now in a heart beat since his got value.

Okay Jerry West, what point guards better than Parker do you want to see us bring in for him?

And don't say Jason Kidd, the guy is 85 years old and gets torched routinely by any quick PG in the league these days.

Uncle_Rico
06-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Bad playoff series for 3 years in a row?

Yet we have 2 championships when he's on the team. We're winning....

No impact on the game? He's the fastest player in the nba with the ball...and the best penetrating PG, maybe that's why hamilton was guarding him?

He's not average, that's why he's a Spur... did you just say he has great value? WHy do you think he does?

He's inconsistent, but bad playoff series 3 years in a row? WTF DID YOU GET THAT IDEA?

this years finals, last years debacle against la, 03 finals. pick which one.

at times, yes, he has no impact on the game. his jumper blows, decision has gotten better but it pisses you off when you have 2 stars and all you have to is get them the ball. if he is a shoot 1st pg, it wont work for long. manu and td need the ball. work on fts get a decent jumper and feed those guys the ball. parker should get nash type assists. keep in mind im not for trading the guy but he better step it up, duncan and manu arent getting any younger.

as someone pointed out, it pisses you off when u know he is capable of this during the reg season but too often his mistakes quadrouple during the post. yes i know better teams in the post season, but come on.

Sense
06-25-2005, 01:51 PM
this years finals, last years debacle against la, 03 finals. pick which one.

at times, yes, he has no impact on the game. his jumper blows, decision has gotten better but it pisses you off when you have 2 stars and all you have to is get them the ball. if he is a shoot 1st pg, it wont work for long. manu and td need the ball. work on fts get a decent jumper and feed those guys the ball. parker should get nash type assists. keep in mind im not for trading the guy but he better step it up, duncan and manu arent getting any younger.

as someone pointed out, it pisses you off when u know he is capable of this during the reg season but too often his mistakes quadrouple during the post. yes i know better teams in the post season, but come on.

you didn't just say again LA did you? He was the only reason we won 2 games on those series... We're not having a Kobe Shaq team going on here with Tim and Manu... don't think everyone else in the team shouldn't be involved. Don't expect Parker to be Nash, there's a different gameplay and a different system... Parker is better than Nash because he has defense and penetration.

Come on what? Isn't it obvious?

MaNuMaNiAc
06-25-2005, 01:57 PM
you didn't just say again LA did you? He was the only reason we won 2 games on those series... We're not having a Kobe Shaq team going on here with Tim and Manu... don't think everyone else in the team shouldn't be involved. Don't expect Parker to be Nash, there's a different gameplay and a different system... Parker is better than Nash because he has defense and penetration.

Come on what? Isn't it obvious?
Parker is better than Nash??? That's hilarious! Yeah, TP is better penetrating, but Nash has an excellent jumper, which TP doesn't have. Defensively yes TP is better than Nash, but Nash plays for a team that doesn't require great defensive skills on a PG. On EVERY SINGLE OTHER THING Nash is better than TP. My point is, I think TP is better than Nash for THIS team, but overall I think Nash is better than TP.

Sense
06-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Parker is better than Nash??? That's hilarious! Yeah, TP is better penetrating, but Nash has an excellent jumper, which TP doesn't have. Defensively yes TP is better than Nash, but Nash plays for a team that doesn't require great defensive skills on a PG. On EVERY SINGLE OTHER THING Nash is better than TP. My point is, I think TP is better than Nash for THIS team, but overall I think Nash is better than TP.

I would always prefer penetrating over jumpshooting.

Nash NEVER plays for a team that doesn't require defensive skills..

Explain every other single thing..

Stats don't mean shit when you have 2 rings.

Kori Ellis
06-25-2005, 02:01 PM
It's not about his nationality at all.

Spurs fans (for some sick reason) love to hate their own.

They used to hate Malik. Before that they hated on David. Now they hate Tony.

It's not all Spurs fans. It's not even a majority. But they are definitely a vocal minority.

They are the same people who if they won the $100 million lottery would bitch about the taxes.

violentkitten
06-25-2005, 02:02 PM
these "fans" hate players who do not fit the textbook definition of a player at that position. that's all it is.

fuck the morons.

timvp
06-25-2005, 02:05 PM
The Princess is right. Spurs fans always have to have someone to hate. The player to hate nowadays is Tony Parker. Odd considering that in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, nobody scored on him the entire game until Rip's layup with 10 seconds left in the game.

ObiwanGinobili
06-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I think people could care less what country Tony is from, and it's not like everyone hates the French anyway. The French are just an easy target like now - kinda like Canadians, Mexicans and Polish have been in the past. (ok, still are)

When people pick on Tony it's for the same reason they would pick on any other player: His Play Has Been Lacking.
Right now there are lot of "trade tony" " i hate parker" thoughts and posts going around. Some are by peopel who've never been too into Tony - they weren't keen opn the idea of a 19 yr old starting for us in his rookie yr. Some are by bandwagonners. Some are by people who just can't stand his inconsistancy - a problem PArker himslef admits to.
I personally would be very sad to see Tony go. I doubt it'll happen. He's integral in my mind. BUT: I do get frustrated with him at times. I've been known to flip the bird in his general direction after say, 4 bad possesions in a row.

To be fair, there are alos alot of fans out there who honestly believe that Bowen is not a good fit on this team. That Rasho needs to be traded. That Nazr wasn't worht the trade. That Wilks, Marks and T-Mass are a waste of space.
The only players on our team without mumblings are Duncan and Manu. For now.

Also lets remeber: Tony's mother is Dutch, His father is American, He was born in Belgium. The guy is basically french by association. To make fun of him becasue he is french is A.) pointless B.) stupid C.) childish.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-25-2005, 02:19 PM
I think people could care less what country Tony is from, and it's not like everyone hates the French anyway. The French are just an easy target like now - kinda like Canadians, Mexicans and Polish have been in the past. (ok, still are)

When people pick on Tony it's for the same reason they would pick on any other player: His Play Has Been Lacking.
Right now there are lot of "trade tony" " i hate parker" thoughts and posts going around. Some are by peopel who've never been too into Tony - they weren't keen opn the idea of a 19 yr old starting for us in his rookie yr. Some are by bandwagonners. Some are by people who just can't stand his inconsistancy - a problem PArker himslef admits to.
I personally would be very sad to see Tony go. I doubt it'll happen. He's integral in my mind. BUT: I do get frustrated with him at times. I've been known to flip the bird in his general direction after say, 4 bad possesions in a row.

To be fair, there are alos alot of fans out there who honestly believe that Bowen is not a good fit on this team. That Rasho needs to be traded. That Nazr wasn't worht the trade. That Wilks, Marks and T-Mass are a waste of space.
The only players on our team without mumblings are Duncan and Manu. For now.

Also lets remeber: Tony's mother is Dutch, His father is American, He was born in Belgium. The guy is basically french by association. To make fun of him becasue he is french is A.) pointless B.) stupid C.) childish.
Right on the money! and lets not forget some of these asses even turned on Duncan when he was having a bad stretch this series! so don't you worry too much about the TP hating, it'll stop eventually.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Nash plays for a team that doesn't require great defensive skills on a PG.

Unless of course they're playing the Spurs, for whom Tony Parker happens to play. That lack of defense on Nash's part matters; Nash's Suns will never get past the Spurs as is. I'm not saying TP is better than Nash, but for our team, he's a better fit.

violentkitten
06-25-2005, 02:22 PM
the most expendable players on the team right now are rasho and barry.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Unless of course they're playing the Spurs, for whom Tony Parker happens to play. That lack of defense on Nash's part matters; Nash's Suns will never get past the Spurs as is. I'm not saying TP is better than Nash, but for our team, he's a better fit.
That's what I'm saying

ducks
06-25-2005, 02:24 PM

spurs won a title with aj who had no jumpshot

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2005, 02:24 PM
these "fans" hate players who do not fit the textbook definition of a player at that position. that's all it is.

fuck the morons.

This coming from someone bagging on Nazr Mohammed for not being able to hit a jumper in another thread.

Fuck the morons? Looks like you're going to be fucking yourself.

violentkitten
06-25-2005, 02:26 PM
nazr mohammed was worthless in the nba finals. even an aggie such as yourself should be able to figure that out.

i dont fuck myself as you do with your hand.

ducks
06-25-2005, 02:31 PM
name one player that did not look like shit in 2 games in the finals?

ducks
06-25-2005, 02:32 PM
that actually played 2 games
big dog looked the best but did not play enough to count

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2005, 02:58 PM
name one player that did not look like shit in 2 games in the finals?

Yo, limp wristed pussy, answer ducks question.

Nazr had a bad Finals. Everyone on this team had at least one bad game, and in some cases more.

Nazr tore it up game 1 and 2, but Detroit adjusted. It's not like he was going against a scrub front line.

Duncan had problems against them too, and you sure have no problem defending Tony's decrease in performance against the same Detroit.

Nothing but a hypocrite.

violentkitten
06-25-2005, 03:00 PM
excuse me? fuck you you little whitebread assmuncher. nazr mohammed was supposed to bring it against a frontcourt like detroit's. he was supposed to make them pay for working tim. didn't happen.

go fuck one of your herd, redneck.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2005, 03:01 PM
:lol Spoken like a true asshat.

But hey, you always got your Malik Rose blow up doll to go home to tonight, so you got that going for you.

violentkitten
06-25-2005, 03:04 PM
well it's a good thing i didn't want the nazr mohammed one because you apparently have bought that out.

mohammed's only claim to fame is that he doesn't suck as bad as rasho.

rose, meanwhile, was often closing out games in place of one of the top 50 players of all time a couple seasons back.

Spursy
06-25-2005, 03:04 PM
I sopose I would hate him if he was an ass or a jerk , but hes not . The impresion i get from him is that hes a team player and hes conserned about how he plays . Its easy not to like someone when there not playing well , but then love em when they do well.
I say lets just watch and see how he does in the coming season and then say if hes starting to suck or not. He is paid millions to do well ,however, so he BETTER do well damb it!!

shyne
06-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I think some people here try to make a competition between him and Manu. And the majority of San Antonio would take Manu or Tim much less Tony. I dont know its how much the dont like Tony, I think its how much they love Manu.

WalterBenitez
06-25-2005, 04:07 PM
...Recently I've been spending much time on these forums and i've seen much hate for TP. So I have a question: do people hate him because of the current bad relationship between France and the US (iraq war, and so on) and so because he's French, or because of his game ?

HATE is a strong word boy, I do really shit on him because sometimes he plays like he were 23 years old :lol

GerM
06-25-2005, 04:07 PM
He is kind of cocky sometimes, he can be selfish at times, he shoots way to much (sometimes even more than td), even when he is not hot, bad decisions and cares too much for personal glory(for example in the last interview in french in his homepage,he said that his goal for this new season was to be an allstar, he said nothing about another championship)
Those are the reasons I see.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-25-2005, 04:18 PM
He is kind of cocky sometimes, he can be selfish at times, he shoots way to much (sometimes even more than td), even when he is not hot, bad decisions and cares too much for personal glory(for example in the last interview in french in his homepage,he said that his goal for this new season was to be an allstar, he said nothing about another championship)
Those are the reasons I see.

As far as the all-star goal, I think it's great. Different players have different things that motivate them. If he wants to get that honor, he's going to have to do three things that will really help this team--hit his godamn free throws, work on his jumper, and hone his clock management skills.

spursfan200
06-25-2005, 04:20 PM

i agree. maybe thats why nash was MVP. yea, he sucks at defense, but the suns are the best offensive team in the NBA and occasionally, stoudamire or marion can come up with a huge blocked shot for them. nash's passes are better his 3 point percentage is really good. im from dallas and i have been a mavericks fan for 3 years and i know nash never did in dallas what he's doing in pheonix

rascal
06-25-2005, 04:26 PM
kurd: I do not understand why anyone would hate parker because he is French.

I do not disagree with the French point of view on the Iraq war. And feel any hate towards the French is unwarranted. And many Americans feel the same.

After all almost the entire world was against what America did and as time goes on less Americans are in support of it.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-25-2005, 04:35 PM
i agree. maybe thats why nash was MVP. yea, he sucks at defense, but the suns are the best offensive team in the NBA and occasionally, stoudamire or marion can come up with a huge blocked shot for them. nash's passes are better his 3 point percentage is really good. im from dallas and i have been a mavericks fan for 3 years and i know nash never did in dallas what he's doing in pheonix

Liking Nash is fine. He is a fun player to watch. He was MVP because his addition turned the Suns around. However, saying that the Spurs would be better off with Nash than Parker is absurd. Nash's Mavs never made it past the Spurs, and neither will his Suns (unless they learn to play D). Nash's lack of defensive skills matters.

Nash is a great fit for his team's system. Tony Parker is a good fit for the Spurs' system, and hopefully he'll grow into being an even better fit.

I think what he said about becoming an all-star is encouraging; it means he'll have to work on his weaknesses, and that's a good thing for the Spurs.

SMSpur
06-25-2005, 04:44 PM
where did this come from about Tony playing bad against LA last year? Did ya'll watch the first two games of the series in SA? Tony Parker single handedly forced the Lakers to change their game plan, as he took Gary Payton to the cleaners.

The only way you can blame Tony Parker for the LA loss, is to say that Parker was to good the first two games of the series. Parker didn't cost us in the LA series, it was instead the complete inabilty of anyone else on the team to make an outside jumper that killed us against LA last year.

SouthernFried
06-25-2005, 04:48 PM
If you don't think TP has hurt us in both the Finals series he's been in, your not paying attention. He has, in both.

Fortunately, we have enough talent around him to make up for it.

As far as him being French...gimme a break. Nobody gives a hoot. Stupid question.

Not that I care for our longtime French "ally" as a nation. As far as I'm concerned, that countries government can mange merde.

Sense
06-25-2005, 05:02 PM
That's what I'm saying

no, that's what I'm saying...

Tony is better cuz he's a spur.

Shelly
06-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Who?

Jason Kidd!

D-uh!

:lol

Jelly
06-25-2005, 05:27 PM
I love Tony Parker! I've always liked him as a player and as a person. I think most of San Antonio loves him as well, but you have to keep in mind that opinions run extreme on these message boards. I mean look how harshly people have treated Duncan- calling him all sorts of names- but still, in the end, he is much loved. Tony Parker is a a very good player, but not a great player by NBA standards, and when the Championship is on the lines, fans have little patience for any slip-ups (and Tony has had a few) Being a sports fan can really bring out the worst in people I'm afraid. Some people on this board have been very hateful to several of our players throughout this series. I really don't think anyone has a problem with Tony Parker being French (and I don't think Americans dislike French people at all, but maybe I'm naive). Drive around San Antonio and you will see lots of people in dressed in #9 jerseys. Despite what you read here, he really is very popular in San Antonio.

Slomo
06-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Jason Kidd!

D-uh!

Jelly
06-25-2005, 05:32 PM
I love Tony Parker! I've always liked him as a player and as a person. I think most of San Antonio loves him as well, but you have to keep in mind that opinions run extreme on these message boards. I mean look how harshly people have treated Duncan- calling him all sorts of names- but still, in the end, he is much loved. Tony Parker is a a very good player, but not a great player by NBA standards, and when the Championship is on the lines, fans have little patience for any slip-ups (and Tony has had a few) Being a sports fan can really bring out the worst in people I'm afraid. Some people on this board have been very hateful to several of our players throughout this series. I really don't think anyone has a problem with Tony Parker being French (and I don't think Americans dislike French people at all, but maybe I'm naive). Drive around San Antonio and you will see lots of people in dressed in #9 jerseys. Despite what you read here, he really is very popular in San Antonio.